Tachograph in LGV

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Rafael.Couto

Tachograph in LGV

Post by Rafael.Couto »

Greetings to you all

I own a recovery pickup truck with a trailer. A DVSA agent stopped me at the roadside and gave me a fine because the vehicle did not have a tachograph fitted. After that, I installed the tacho in the truck, but as this is also my family car, I usually drive it on weekends for personal matters.

I am confused by the rules that would apply to drive the pickup truck during the weekends, as it would not be attached to a trailer, and the GVW would not be over 3.5 tonnes. Do I need to use my tacho card every time the vehicle is in use, or can I run it without the card when the vehicle weight is less than 3.5 tonnes?
Bluecorn

Re: Tachograph in LGV

Post by Bluecorn »

On any days that you use it over 3.5t for work (Truck & trailer) then a card is required, not when you're driving the truck only. The challenge is deciding how to show the days when it's not needing tacho. Alas, you may need to swot up on the exemptions (if any) or the requirements to avoid another fine. That's the joy of the dual-purpose vehicle!!!!! It drops you into both commercial and social rules
Think of it as your WORK vehicle that is also used for family trips rather than a family vehicle that is also used for work, after all, there are probably business costs that are attributed to the vehicle!

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”