For the newbie drivers, beware that the speed limits for LGV's in Scotland are different to England and don't feel

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Ionds

For the newbie drivers, beware that the speed limits for LGV's in Scotland are different to England and don't feel

Post by Ionds »

For the newbie drivers, beware that the speed limits for LGV's in Scotland are different to England and don't feel pressured into speeding by someone tailgating and flashing you.
Peccand

Re: For the newbie drivers, beware that the speed limits for LGV's in Scotland are different to England and don't feel

Post by Peccand »

I had this the other day like. Was pretty sure Scotland was 10mph lower. Hit the border, dropped to 40 as was a single carriageway and about a mile up the road o had a huge qué behind me and people including wagons started tearing past. I then decided I must have been wrong and went on at English speeds. Once back in England I found out I was infact right and it just turns out no one pays attention to it first time I'd gone up to Scotland excluding in a car.
2cutePlanet

Re: For the newbie drivers, beware that the speed limits for LGV's in Scotland are different to England and don't feel

Post by 2cutePlanet »

Peccand wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 am I had this the other day like. Was pretty sure Scotland was 10mph lower. Hit the border, dropped to 40 as was a single carriageway and about a mile up the road o had a huge qué behind me and people including wagons started tearing past. I then decided I must have been wrong and went on at English speeds. Once back in England I found out I was infact right and it just turns out no one pays attention to it first time I'd gone up to Scotland excluding in a car.
The Police pay attention to it. Especially on the A75
Peccand

Post by Peccand »

Peccand wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 am I had this the other day like. Was pretty sure Scotland was 10mph lower. Hit the border, dropped to 40 as was a single carriageway and about a mile up the road o had a huge qué behind me and people including wagons started tearing past. I then decided I must have been wrong and went on at English speeds. Once back in England I found out I was infact right and it just turns out no one pays attention to it first time I'd gone up to Scotland excluding in a car.
ahaha oh aye I can imagine. And I too will be the next time I'm up that way.
Sophar

Post by Sophar »

Gatzo camera's in Scotland can have a weight sensor just before, laid in road. National speed single carriageway for car 60, for HGV 40. This sensor changes setting on camera, so over 3.5T it's 40 so get snaped at 43+. Beware
Newserer

Post by Newserer »

Next time up there, Pau Attention to the forward & rear facing camera vans as they will get you, average speed Dont, got that from a few Scottish drivers I’ve spoke too. The Camera vans will, it’s spotting them before they get you….
Synchratin

Post by Synchratin »

Scotland is 40 single 50 duel 60 motorway unless stated like A9 to Inverness
Jigably

Post by Jigably »

I saw quite a few vans up Aberdeen and Inverness way that were obviously Speen checking but not in yellow red stripes. Yellow black and white like dvsa. Had a company name I forget. Are they private firm doing the speed checking for police
Sophar

Post by Sophar »

Take note of dual carriageway outside lane 7.5T time restrictions. Too many so called professional's ignore
RockerChee

Post by RockerChee »

Sophar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:43 pm Take note of dual carriageway outside lane 7.5T time restrictions. Too many so called professional's ignore
who cares about 7.5t. Little 2 Bob playing at being a lorry driver , they can go in the outside lane because they are a van, and they don't have to follow HGV speed rules, only car/van ones.
RockerChee

Post by RockerChee »

Sophar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:43 pm Take note of dual carriageway outside lane 7.5T time restrictions. Too many so called professional's ignore
Thought about getting my 10 year old a 7.5t to practice in, sort of training wheels ready for when he joins the bigger boys.
Animtyi

Post by Animtyi »

Scotland is brilliant driving . Lol even the trip through to fort William via glen coe pass in the pitch dark 1st run on this road. Average speed 22mph London average speed 8mph on a 4.5 hour drive. What's not to love about an open road.
KaiEar

Post by KaiEar »

As a Scottish driver in Scotland, it's almost always flat out all the time. Just need to know where they like to park the vans. Not enough police to give a toss about a truck doing 16mph over.
PlusBillion

Post by PlusBillion »

Always a camera van knocking about on the 92 between tay Bridge and the m90 at Dunfermline, they set them selves up so as soon as you come hareing round a bend his laser is on you
Windenom

Post by Windenom »

PlusBillion wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:50 pm Always a camera van knocking about on the 92 between tay Bridge and the m90 at Dunfermline, they set them selves up so as soon as you come hareing round a bend his laser is on you
yeah fife jammer location gives you all the info as to where they're sited..usually the New Inn cottages just outside Glenrothes on A92 or Freuchie petrol station
Sappin

Post by Sappin »

PlusBillion wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:50 pm Always a camera van knocking about on the 92 between tay Bridge and the m90 at Dunfermline, they set them selves up so as soon as you come hareing round a bend his laser is on you
lol sneaky buggers, yeah there's a few little cottages on the right as you're heading south near the A913, I load out of kettle produce once a week after a tip in Aberdeen, flat out everywhere except when the 92 goes into single South of tay Bridge then its set cruise
ProudBing

Post by ProudBing »

40 on a single carriage way as folk have said .
Look well ahead anything with yellow flashing on rear of van could be a speed camera van .
Known folk to get done with no seat belt and being on the phone .
Sombermy

Post by Sombermy »

Apart from the A9 where its 50mph on single carriage way.....TRIAL SPEED LIMIT been like it for a few years
AholicEat

Post by AholicEat »

Whenever anyone trys pushing you you go slower! We've got all the time in the world don't rush
HeadCert

Post by HeadCert »

Delivered to a firm just off the A75 who said one of their guys was done for 42mph.
Downili

Post by Downili »

40 mph and if they want to tailgate then down to 37 mph... too many cnuts on the rd nowadays I lying hgv drivers...
Sellava

Post by Sellava »

When I was on Alston's furniture one of our drivers got done 4 times in a day twice on camera and twice by patrol cars and lost his license for 18 months.So beware rushing around in Scotland.
Hironi

Post by Hironi »

My mate got done in Scotland
There’s a real war on HGV’s in Scotland
Shame because it’s the best place to drive
Spicesu

Post by Spicesu »

Did a 6 week job of recent in campbeltown travelling to Inveraray for material daily. A few local boys had seen people get done for due care and attention at 40 for not pulling in for traffic they were “holding up” along the A83 even though in my opinion plenty of overtake spots for cars. 13 of us were sat about 45/50 on the more open parts and had police see/follow us several times with no issues surrounding it. Only 1 of us was pulled for a random check having been doing 45mph and they didn’t say a word about it
RelyNeil

Post by RelyNeil »

Been like that for a few years..40 means 49. 50 means 50. In England we get a 10%+2. It will charge
HeadCert

Post by HeadCert »

RelyNeil wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:11 pm Been like that for a few years..40 means 49. 50 means 50. In England we get a 10%+2. It will charge
When it was 40 on the A75 they had put up HGV 40MPH signs literally about every half mile. I assumed from that they meant it.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”