Can a company make you do nights out. I don't carry night out gear, food etc. But they reckon I must be prepared to do

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Katreq

Can a company make you do nights out. I don't carry night out gear, food etc. But they reckon I must be prepared to do

Post by Katreq »

Can a company make you do nights out. I don't carry night out gear, food etc. But they reckon I must be prepared to do nights out. I took the job on the understanding that I didn't want nights out unless it was unforeseeable accident or breakdown. Would they have to pay for me to stay in a hotel in that case
Sanea

Re: Can a company make you do nights out. I don't carry night out gear, food etc. But they reckon I must be prepared to

Post by Sanea »

Always take a little bit just to be prepared. Never know brakedawn or traffic ect could stop you from getting back. What's wrong with taking a sleeping bag and few extra bits etc
Yugidi

Re: Can a company make you do nights out. I don't carry night out gear, food etc. But they reckon I must be prepared to

Post by Yugidi »

Sanea wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:32 pm Always take a little bit just to be prepared. Never know brakedawn or traffic ect could stop you from getting back. What's wrong with taking a sleeping bag and few extra bits etc
probably because he's a day man, his planners should factor in an extra hour or 2 for accidents, traffic etc or get someone out to drop and swap I'd hes going to be close on time, thats what a decent planner/Company would do, not send out a day man and say bring night out gear just incase.
Sanea

Post by Sanea »

Sanea wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:32 pm Always take a little bit just to be prepared. Never know brakedawn or traffic ect could stop you from getting back. What's wrong with taking a sleeping bag and few extra bits etc
how meany company's do that though.
Yugidi

Post by Yugidi »

because drivers let them get away with it, im a day man, won't night out unless I'm asked a few days beforehand so I know to bring gear with me, whats the point loading and unloading the cab with night out gear everyday just incase? If they want trampers, employ trampers and don't give the day drivers trampers work.
Sanea

Post by Sanea »

true but don't know what could happen ect. I'm just saying no harm taking something just in case ect
CapoIdeal

Post by CapoIdeal »

Regardless of job description, the truck must be clean and habitable when handed to you. If not, you can always refuse on health and safety grounds. It should also have a night heater that works. Personally., I'd take along a decent sleeping bag and make sure you have at least a few litres of water and some packs of baby wipes. At the very least you can get a takeaway and have drink and method of cleaning yourself.
Thebestong

Post by Thebestong »

Quite honestly, you're in the wrong job then mate. Go and drive a van for Amazon or an 18 tonner on local parcel work.. I'm sick of hearing "drivers" winging on about "don't do nights out" "wanna hurry up and get home for the school run" and the like.
Pudelmar

Post by Pudelmar »

Where I work, we don't do nights out but have sleeper cabs. We know where we are going the next day. If it's a long dodgy run, I'll take the basics. BUT they pay for a hotel room on service's for us and pay £32 night out money as well.. only done 1 in 3 months. I've worked there. and only 4 between 3 drivers....
TrainGlory

Post by TrainGlory »

Pudelmar wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:42 pm Where I work, we don't do nights out but have sleeper cabs. We know where we are going the next day. If it's a long dodgy run, I'll take the basics. BUT they pay for a hotel room on service's for us and pay £32 night out money as well.. only done 1 in 3 months. I've worked there. and only 4 between 3 drivers....
where I work, it's all day work,
If running out of time,it's a call to the office for retrieval, but it's very rare.
Readerde

Post by Readerde »

I never done night out if they over run a shift or even if i runout of time i ring them just before and tell them you must get me as l hve no over night gear and I am not a tramper
Intesner

Post by Intesner »

Readerde wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:45 pm I never done night out if they over run a shift or even if i runout of time i ring them just before and tell them you must get me as l hve no over night gear and I am not a tramper
if you run out of duty time it will be illegal for them to rescue you
ChilledHoop

Post by ChilledHoop »

Readerde wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:45 pm I never done night out if they over run a shift or even if i runout of time i ring them just before and tell them you must get me as l hve no over night gear and I am not a tramper
not illegal to send a driver to him in a car which he then used to go home in.
Intesner

Post by Intesner »

an occasional night out due to unforseen circumstances is not the same as being a tramper
I've been with my present company 8yrs now and told them I preferred not to night out
I've not had a night out yet but I still have a change of clothes and a sleeping bag in my cab at all times because sometimes shit happens
Kalanet

Post by Kalanet »

Always be prepared for unseen circumstances, company don't have to put you up in a hotel or b&b if you have a sleeper cab. As long as it has a night heater and curtains. I was caught out a couple of years ago due to our Scottish weather.
IfallYui

Post by IfallYui »

There's always a risk of a night out, what they're probably saying is, they plan you right to the nub, so plan for the worst.
Wakeboardua

Post by Wakeboardua »

I always took my teddy and toothbrush just in case, especially at this time of year. You never know, might as well be comfortable.
Trancema

Post by Trancema »

Think people are misunderstanding the question. His company aren’t saying be prepared for the worst ie bad weather/accident they’re saying he must do nights out.
Basically, it’s their company and if that’s what they want and you don’t, move on. They will probably plan you work that involves it, you can refuse and they’ll probably sack you
Reflux

Post by Reflux »

No one can make you do anything, if you don't like it, go and work for someone else, plenty of jobs about!
Ruthsco

Post by Ruthsco »

The company can not force you to do a night out, at the same time if you are away from your yard and time running out then you have no choice but a night out .
Is against the law to send you on a run with a night out without to let you know first that's for sure.
In the meant time if you go from one place to the other and if I was on yr shoes I will leave plenty of time to come back even if you have to avoid loading or tipping.
That's my opinion ,good luck with your dessision my friend!!!!!!!
Intesner

Post by Intesner »

Ruthsco wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:04 pm The company can not force you to do a night out, at the same time if you are away from your yard and time running out then you have no choice but a night out .
Is against the law to send you on a run with a night out without to let you know first that's for sure.
In the meant time if you go from one place to the other and if I was on yr shoes I will leave plenty of time to come back even if you have to avoid loading or tipping.
the law says they must plan work that can be completed within your legal hours it does not say they must plan to get you home
Ruthsco

Post by Ruthsco »

Ruthsco wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:04 pm The company can not force you to do a night out, at the same time if you are away from your yard and time running out then you have no choice but a night out .
it depence the company mine is planning to do the work and be home if anything else happens the is call taf luck
Sharkit

Post by Sharkit »

I worked at a company like that, ended up putting bedding in the lorry, food, camping stove (no microwave fitted) least then I had warm food n warm water to clean everything up with. I did say to them (we had dedicated trampers) that I'd do a night out if needed but would prefer that I didn't. Few times in the afternoon they'd ask if I wanted to night out, just said I would if necessary, otherwise use a tramper. If you like the job and it's only an occasional night out then get some stuff etc, otherwise just look for a day job.
VitalPleasant

Post by VitalPleasant »

When your out your out lol they ent gunna come get you, either refuse the run or crack on, I find the 2nd option keeps you in a job so carry some emergency kit just in case mate
Rollowpl

Post by Rollowpl »

Common sense has got to prevail try answering your own question a) what type of work are you on ? b) how likely are you to have a night out c) does the vehicle your driving have a bunk I hope this helps you a little if your company sends you on a distance run in a day cab vehicle and you happen to run out of time provisions would be made for overnight accommodation or collection by another driver in a car
Wakeboard

Post by Wakeboard »

Check you travelling time back to depot ! don’t care about what you have on truck ,you’re booked for day or night shift no nights out bring back load to depot it’s sort out it’s not your problem
TheevilRich

Post by TheevilRich »

Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had a puncture on the way home and by the time it gets sorted you don’t have enough time to get home and have to kip overnight in hotel Scania.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”