Hi guys, How far from the Operator’s centre are we allowed to live as a TM? Thanks!

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
McleanGo

Hi guys, How far from the Operator’s centre are we allowed to live as a TM? Thanks!

Post by McleanGo »

Waltonix

Re: Hi guys, How far from the Operator’s centre are we allowed to live as a TM? Thanks!

Post by Waltonix »

No set fast rules as long you can justify travelling time and wtd with any other commitments you will be fine
McleanGo

Re: Hi guys, How far from the Operator’s centre are we allowed to live as a TM? Thanks!

Post by McleanGo »

Waltonix wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:09 pm No set fast rules as long you can justify travelling time and wtd with any other commitments you will be fine
Cheers!
Leeuter

Post by Leeuter »

No set distance. Depends how much time you want to spend travelling.
McleanGo

Post by McleanGo »

Leeuter wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:12 pm No set distance. Depends how much time you want to spend travelling.
Cheers!
ickinux

Post by ickinux »

but the TM needs to be very careful. As an external TM he needs to take in to consideration his travel time and that needs to be added on the hours working for that company.
richielte

Post by richielte »

No set rules but if more than 1.5 hrs from your base then the TC will look at your working week In more depth.
All your travelling time must be added to your allocated hours so this may push up the hours more than you want to for a particular operator, not good if you aren't charging plenty!
I had three different operators at the same time and all 2 hours + from my base and it can take some explaining.
I've just managed to get a preliminary hearing cancelled for this reason so you do need to be careful but also honest👍
hamblines

Post by hamblines »

I'm in west Yorkshire and had a client in Wolverhampton.
It was too far travelling time though. 4 hours to get home up the M6 .
I gave that one up.
Nearly 7 hours round trip.
I was surprised I was allowed on tbf?
bogothe

Post by bogothe »

I agree, I have had "temporary" position as ETM to step in where there was no TM , normally temporary would be fir sufficient time to get a permanent ETM in.
Twice I have been permitted to be ETM about 160 miles from home, Cardiff for 1, and later after I left Cardiff , Aberystwyth.
A lot depends upon the circumstances, but you do need to set out exactly your hours to the satisfaction of the TC. In the case of Cardiff I had friends who I often stayed with near to the Op Centre thus reducing my travelling time.
eamonner

Post by eamonner »

I never had an issue and I had to travel some lengthy distances in rural Scotland. However, whenever I was ETM to more than one operator, I had to show a table with distances and travel time to and from home to the OC and between each OC's. They will look at the work time and travel time, and any other work you declare and make sure it does not go above the 48 hour WTD average. They also check social media accounts and company websites to see if you are likely to be doing work other than what has been declared.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”