Hello, Does anyone regret buying their own unit and starting out? Not worth the hassle?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Luciasten

Hello, Does anyone regret buying their own unit and starting out? Not worth the hassle?

Post by Luciasten »

Stelico

Re: Hello, Does anyone regret buying their own unit and starting out? Not worth the hassle?

Post by Stelico »

Its not for the feint hearted for sure, brass knackers & plenty of cash needed just to stand still.......
slatereo

Re: Hello, Does anyone regret buying their own unit and starting out? Not worth the hassle?

Post by slatereo »

I’ve none of the above 😂but it’s slowly building week on week and that’s with a few problems on the truck, I started running beginning of February I wish I did it 20 years ago kept putting it off I’ve not regrets it’s hard but love it, and if it fails least I’ll pop off with no regrets
dacliqui

Post by dacliqui »

slatereo wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:49 pm I’ve none of the above 😂but it’s slowly building week on week and that’s with a few problems on the truck, I started running beginning of February I wish I did it 20 years ago kept putting it off I’ve not regrets it’s hard but love it, and if it fails least I’ll pop off with no regrets
any advice on the best way to get started thanks
liviuso

Post by liviuso »

We started in Aug 20. With 2, now upto 4. But my god its hard graft, you have to REMEMBER EVERYTHING
Silverna

Post by Silverna »

Nope… want more
neigrim

Post by neigrim »

No, I would not change it either. Hard work but worth it. You just need to find a good company that will work with you. I have only been short of work once & that was during the 3 week lockdown. But kept 4 of 6 working.
I started with nothing, sold my car & used my house as a guarantee.
I was made redundant after 2 years employment. Took the plunge & bought a 7 year old Scania in 2010. In 2011 I bought a brand new R440 highline as an addition.
I now have 8 & growing. Never look back.
daufoe

Post by daufoe »

neigrim wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:56 pm No, I would not change it either. Hard work but worth it. You just need to find a good company that will work with you. I have only been short of work once & that was during the 3 week lockdown. But kept 4 of 6 working.
I was made redundant after 2 years employment. Took the plunge & bought a 7 year old Scania in 2010. In 2011 I bought a brand new R440 highline as an addition.
well done.
sonell

Post by sonell »

neigrim wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:56 pm No, I would not change it either. Hard work but worth it. You just need to find a good company that will work with you. I have only been short of work once & that was during the 3 week lockdown. But kept 4 of 6 working.
well maybe you can advice some of us where and how do you find this work that made you grow up so fast and still want more? As with the fuel price and drivers wages, tax ,expenses and so on and most importantly the big company's eating this small ones presumably like yours, how on earth can you keep up and grow in the same time? I'm just curious and any advice it welcome. Maybe I miss something and a lesson would be welcomed 🙏
Mazroorth

Post by Mazroorth »

12 years ago is not the same as today…. Over saturated market….
grahersc

Post by grahersc »

Nope, best thing I ever did.
Lyntoniq

Post by Lyntoniq »

grahersc wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:20 pm Nope, best thing I ever did.
after 10am haulage 😂
Dolante

Post by Dolante »

No, I love it
TerenceMew

Post by TerenceMew »

Some days yes.
Yesterday one of them days.
But overall no
Lakhiff

Post by Lakhiff »

Nope,
Started 2 years ago with 1 rigid, now have extra 4 artics. It’s not easy and any little mistake can cost a lot. You just need to get in with the right people
fkaatif

Post by fkaatif »

NO .... just taken a deposit as im selling mine .
Couldnt find work ... what i could get wasnt the best paid . Even a single day of not getting anything when thats the day needed to make a profit and thats happening once a week . The costs are horric . You are simply a cash point and are rinsed at every turn . I will explain how you can be cost effective , its really simple plus the difference between making a crust or not .
Find someone you can work for beforehand . Expect promises that dont materialise . The person you want needs to have there own yard and are happy to let you park ... thats saved you 300 a month .
Either be your own transport manager or attach yourself to theres at the place you are a subby at . Thats 360+ a month saved
Register for vat .... mine fucked up so i couldnt , that 20% was the difference between earning anything at all ! . Weigh in everything possible , sounds obvious but get an accountant that will consider your rent as a legitimate expense . Some want a simple in/out without troubling themseves with stuff like your phone . So shop around .
Theres a million and 1 things you just dont think of and want to put against tax ......... every paid for a truckwash ? ,,,, and do you know what it costs ? a straps 20 quid and do you know how many you have ..... 400 quids worth at a guess etc etc
Fuel . A cards helpfull but you will need to chase the vultures . That 2 pence off a litre only exists if you keep your eye on them and call every 3rd day to be assured they are offering any discount . If you dont you will pay more than paying at the pump ! . Costco is better as is asda , morrisons etc etc . Use a cheap petrol finder app and fill up there every time you are passing . Regardless of what the middlemen card providers say there is no cheap fuel to be had and they only really work if you are on the ball and filling up on the motorway .
The parking place should have adblue at a quid a litre so thats a decent saving .
After losing alot of money ive decided its better to do the hours and drive someone elses . I honestly am losing money daily and the times i earn dont cover the times i struggle . Theres simply 500 quids worth of costs a week to cover until you get some returned and ive invoices sent weeks ago that dont pay until Aug ..... i will let you do the maths on what you need to run and keep running .
So good luck and yes it works for some but not for me
liaman

Post by liaman »

fkaatif wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:26 pm NO .... just taken a deposit as im selling mine .
Couldnt find work ... what i could get wasnt the best paid . Even a single day of not getting anything when thats the day needed to make a profit and thats happening once a week . The costs are horric . You are simply a cash point and are rinsed at every turn . I will explain how you can be cost effective , its really simple plus the difference between making a crust or not .
Find someone you can work for beforehand . Expect promises that dont materialise . The person you want needs to have there own yard and are happy to let you park ... thats saved you 300 a month .
Either be your own transport manager or attach yourself to theres at the place you are a subby at . Thats 360+ a month saved
Register for vat .... mine fucked up so i couldnt , that 20% was the difference between earning anything at all ! . Weigh in everything possible , sounds obvious but get an accountant that will consider your rent as a legitimate expense . Some want a simple in/out without troubling themseves with stuff like your phone . So shop around .
Theres a million and 1 things you just dont think of and want to put against tax ......... every paid for a truckwash ? ,,,, and do you know what it costs ? a straps 20 quid and do you know how many you have ..... 400 quids worth at a guess etc etc
Fuel . A cards helpfull but you will need to chase the vultures . That 2 pence off a litre only exists if you keep your eye on them and call every 3rd day to be assured they are offering any discount . If you dont you will pay more than paying at the pump ! . Costco is better as is asda , morrisons etc etc . Use a cheap petrol finder app and fill up there every time you are passing . Regardless of what the middlemen card providers say there is no cheap fuel to be had and they only really work if you are on the ball and filling up on the motorway .
The parking place should have adblue at a quid a litre so thats a decent saving .
After losing alot of money ive decided its better to do the hours and drive someone elses . I honestly am losing money daily and the times i earn dont cover the times i struggle . Theres simply 500 quids worth of costs a week to cover until you get some returned and ive invoices sent weeks ago that dont pay until Aug ..... i will let you do the maths on what you need to run and keep running .
yeah, but all that to one side, is it worth havin a go ? 😂
fkaatif

Post by fkaatif »

liaman wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:28 pm
fkaatif wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:26 pm NO .... just taken a deposit as im selling mine .
sure is .... i was stuck between a rock and a hard place . I had 15 grand and a drain to push the notes into but i thought no .... thats not long and painfull enough ...... lets buy a truck instead and really drag out the pain .
I could have bought a motorbike and a holiday in vegas but instead i bought a volvo and sat in laybys in oxford .
liaman

Post by liaman »

fkaatif wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:29 pm
sure is .... i was stuck between a rock and a hard place . I had 15 grand and a drain to push the notes into but i thought no .... thats not long and painfull enough ...... lets buy a truck instead and really drag out the pain .
I could have bought a motorbike and a holiday in vegas but instead i bought a volvo and sat in laybys in oxford .
oxford aint so bad, I use to see an auld one below there in abingdon
fkaatif

Post by fkaatif »

liaman wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:30 pm

had a weekly run down there ... nice ... 200 quid on the way down and clear at 10am so nice and easy to find a run back .... nice place to park up , i do like oxford and surrounding .
4 times i went down ( i think ) and just 1 return run to be had ! .....
200 for the run down when you just clattered through £100 in fuel and have daily running costs of over 100 means (unless you get a return run ) you are in the shit ... i was in the shit most times
Called 1 up . OX to the midlands ... 97 miles . I was about to put 150 on it as its a 7.5 tonner but thought id call up first . Turns out they had 1 in at £100 ........... i bid 99 , didnt get it !
At £100 i would have made 75 quid for the day , better than nothing , i ended the day running back empty .
This is the reason im selling up and moving on .
liaman

Post by liaman »

fkaatif wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:30 pm
liaman wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:30 pm

had a weekly run down there ... nice ... 200 quid on the way down and clear at 10am so nice and easy to find a run back .... nice place to park up , i do like oxford and surrounding .
4 times i went down ( i think ) and just 1 return run to be had ! .....
200 for the run down when you just clattered through £100 in fuel and have daily running costs of over 100 means (unless you get a return run ) you are in the shit ... i was in the shit most times
Called 1 up . OX to the midlands ... 97 miles . I was about to put 150 on it as its a 7.5 tonner but thought id call up first . Turns out they had 1 in at £100 ........... i bid 99 , didnt get it !
At £100 i would have made 75 quid for the day , better than nothing , i ended the day running back empty .
This is the reason im selling up and moving on .
if it dont work no point in carryin on bruv
NekNecro

Post by NekNecro »

Never. Started 6 years ago with one unit. Good and bad things, beginner mistakes, now I have 8 units and two lutons.
Looking to increase my fleet with some 18t too and more units.
Not an easy job but over all everything it’s ok
Mihairw

Post by Mihairw »

Lease it and its always top of the range, new and covered for repairs and maintenance
dacliqui

Post by dacliqui »

I would love to get my own unit not had the money or confidence
brettec

Post by brettec »

I would love to get a unit but wouldn’t know we’re to start
clintRider

Post by clintRider »

Never regreted a day in 42 years retied 2 years ago
Kevinmekel

Post by Kevinmekel »

Started with one finished with eight
WilliaThug

Post by WilliaThug »

I think if you have been driving for a while and have developed good contacts, you have a sound starting point. Next it is down to hard work lots of hard work. Hard work makes good luck. If you go into it with the same mental attitude as most PAYE drivers you won’t do well. You need to look after your truck, work hard driving and then looking for work, keep lots of records and engage a good experienced transport manager you will be off to a great start. Make sure you cost everything and with diesel shooting up Leave a margin and don’t undercut yourself just to get the job. Good luck
Maioresi

Post by Maioresi »

I enjoy it and sleep is over rated anyway your ok till you get drivers

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”