So let’s start a debate, do you eat with your group in the hotel restaurant? Sorry rehash this when I say eat with

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
JAMOSERLO

So let’s start a debate, do you eat with your group in the hotel restaurant? Sorry rehash this when I say eat with

Post by JAMOSERLO »

So let’s start a debate, do you eat with your group in the hotel restaurant? Sorry rehash this when I say eat with them I mean on the same table?
ocaizo_2155

Re: So let’s start a debate, do you eat with your group in the hotel restaurant? Sorry rehash this when I say eat with

Post by ocaizo_2155 »

LatLaverry wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:19 pmNo
odd ball
LatLaverry

Re: So let’s start a debate, do you eat with your group in the hotel restaurant? Sorry rehash this when I say eat with

Post by LatLaverry »

ocaizo_2155 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:23 pm
LatLaverry wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:19 pmNo
odd ball
u learnt me lol
Jonder

Post by Jonder »

craig_chip wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:25 pmNope
or drink wae them
craig_chip

Post by craig_chip »

Jonder wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:25 pm
craig_chip wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:25 pmNope
or drink wae them
definitely nope. 😂😂😂
kiermo

Post by kiermo »

No in my eyes it isn't professional
iainje

Post by iainje »

Yes, you're part of their holiday, if they get to know you better, there's more chance of a bigger whip round. Plus who wants to sit on their own like a sad Billy no mates?
KnaveCOnclave

Post by KnaveCOnclave »

iainje wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:31 pm Yes, you're part of their holiday, if they get to know you better, there's more chance of a bigger whip round. Plus who wants to sit on their own like a sad Billy no mates?
Me, some people enjoy their own company when leading a busy life
iainje

Post by iainje »

KnaveCOnclave wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:32 pm
iainje wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:31 pm Yes, you're part of their holiday, if they get to know you better, there's more chance of a bigger whip round. Plus who wants to sit on their own like a sad Billy no mates?
Me, some people enjoy their own company when leading a busy life
become a lorry driver then.
JAMOSERLO

Post by JAMOSERLO »

I have to disagree with you there, I personally don’t like eating with the group for various reasons:
1)it makes some of them feel like they can’t talk freely
2) they feel like they have to include you in their conversations (with normally the same ruddy questions like how long have you been doing this job, what’s your favourite place to go!!)
3) when I’ve been out with them all day I just like sitting quietly thinking to myself about the following day and mentally planning for it
4) so you eat with part of the group some of the others feel like you are treating them unfairly!!
Amongst other reasons, I’ve done this job for 20 years and never found eating with the customers makes a jot of difference as to what tips you get at the end! I’m there if they want to ask me anything or complain. I think you need to get that balance right also of professional distance!
McLeoddge

Post by McLeoddge »

JAMOSERLO wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:33 pm
I have to disagree with you there, I personally don’t like eating with the group for various reasons:
2) they feel like they have to include you in their conversations (with normally the same ruddy questions like how long have you been doing this job, what’s your favourite place to go!!)
3) when I’ve been out with them all day I just like sitting quietly thinking to myself about the following day and mentally planning for it
4) so you eat with part of the group some of the others feel like you are treating them unfairly!!
Amongst other reasons, I’ve done this job for 20 years and never found eating with the customers makes a jot of difference as to what tips you get at the end! I’m there if they want to ask me anything or complain. I think you need to get that balance right also of professional distance!
Anyway, who would want you sitting with them at meal time...🤣🤣🤣
JAMOSERLO

Post by JAMOSERLO »

McLeoddge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:34 pm
well not you, you just took your selfie and then buggered off!! lol
Roms_kyvue

Post by Roms_kyvue »

JAMOSERLO wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:34 pm
McLeoddge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:34 pm

well not you, you just took your selfie and then buggered off!! lol
it's each driver to them selves. I personally like joining my group on a evening meal or in the bar. Never done me any arm.
halle-1244

Post by halle-1244 »

Yes, I always eat with my customers. I think its good customer service to be there in case they need any info...😊
Neo_metto

Post by Neo_metto »

halle-1244 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:37 pm Yes, I always eat with my customers. I think its good customer service to be there in case they need any info...😊
plus I eat their left overs 🤪
halle-1244

Post by halle-1244 »

Neo_metto wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:38 pm
halle-1244 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:37 pm Yes, I always eat with my customers. I think its good customer service to be there in case they need any info...😊
plus I eat their left overs 🤪
well nobody likes to see food get wasted 🤣
Woodyn

Post by Woodyn »

no chance
shelty-1118

Post by shelty-1118 »

Depends on the group and if I like what's on offer
PpaulAce

Post by PpaulAce »

Yes , if your invited in take it and the group likes to see the driver in the evening
MadenMart

Post by MadenMart »

If invited, if not in the bar out the way
Georgeny

Post by Georgeny »

Yes i will always try to eat with them
axAdramicey

Post by axAdramicey »

Depends what company I’m working for
Gracently

Post by Gracently »

I used to sit with them, but when a passenger complained at me all the way through the meal, about an attraction being cancelled out of my control, I said I would always eat away from the group. Christmas will be an exception however.
doggettyOr

Post by doggettyOr »

With them but on a separate table
ayr3tares

Post by ayr3tares »

I try and rotate around the tables each night, sometimes though a hotel will set aside a table in the corner for the driver and guide (which I don't agree with)
roneed

Post by roneed »

Every time builds a relationship
237-richexen

Post by 237-richexen »

Yes if there’s room, works out I get more food 😊
garmber70

Post by garmber70 »

Depends who the group are as we all know certain companies discourage it to the point of telling us so.
Way+Message

Post by Way+Message »

Yep always did and made a point of sitting with a different table every night…
harrison

Post by harrison »

Nope I want my space away from them rather get a Tesco meal deal and eat on the coach or in the room
CARLOWENCY

Post by CARLOWENCY »

Yes always, except for breakfast
lewis1geno

Post by lewis1geno »

CARLOWENCY wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:52 pm Yes always, except for breakfast
bit awkward going in for dinner with Dorris off the 151 though pal? Doesn’t Norman get the ump you’re running late?
Gregyx

Post by Gregyx »

sterebann.182 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:54 pmNo
I remember myself and Phillis In Bournemouth over Christmas and passengers demanding we drove them 500 yards up the road to Christmas mass ! Mick does that for us ! NO FU@K OFF ITS CHRISTMAS, WAS THE ANSWER THEY GOT ! 😂😂😂 we went out on the town instead and had a good night, turned out to be Phillis last Christmas too 😢😢😢
ScottMc

Post by ScottMc »

Some Hotels I have been in insist that the driver (and guide) eat away from the group and instead off the fixed meal for the group I have been able to eat off the bar menu
iankade.194

Post by iankade.194 »

I try not to as I'm still working and making sure that service in restaurant is going smoothly and people are getting their food. If you sit on a table with your passengers you will end up having your back to the rest of the group.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

iankade.194 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:56 pm I try not to as I'm still working and making sure that service in restaurant is going smoothly and people are getting their food. If you sit on a table with your passengers you will end up having your back to the rest of the group.
so you're the restaurant manager are you? Jeez 🙄
iankade.194

Post by iankade.194 »

Dayxana wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:56 pm
iankade.194 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:56 pm I try not to as I'm still working and making sure that service in restaurant is going smoothly and people are getting their food. If you sit on a table with your passengers you will end up having your back to the rest of the group.
restaurant manager that's a laugh, you are lucky to find one of them these days, usually incorrectly trained staff who haven't got an idea what the correct way to serve people is. Its my way of making sure my passengers have the best holiday possible. With people having so many issues/ allergies with food I.e gluten or diary free its away of making sure people are getting the correct food. It's not just food related if you see someone putting layers and layers of clothes on whilst they are eating you can ask the staff to turn down the air conditioning. It's called caring.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

iankade.194 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:57 pm
restaurant manager that's a laugh, you are lucky to find one of them these days, usually incorrectly trained staff who haven't got an idea what the correct way to serve people is. Its my way of making sure my passengers have the best holiday possible. With people having so many issues/ allergies with food I.e gluten or diary free its away of making sure people are getting the correct food. It's not just food related if you see someone putting layers and layers of clothes on whilst they are eating you can ask the staff to turn down the air conditioning. It's called caring.
I bet you're popular with hotel managers.
There's just about always someone in charge, and it ain't you.
murrayimFox

Post by murrayimFox »

Dayxana wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:57 pm

unbelievable ain't it? 🤦‍♂️
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

murrayimFox wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:57 pm
Dayxana wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:57 pm

unbelievable ain't it? 🤦‍♂️
Yes
tayl0rgun

Post by tayl0rgun »

Depends on which hotel , i dont mind either , dad with me this week so we have a table for 2 , BUT i think sometimes nice to mix with passengers and talk tours that are coming up , they allways ask which are best tours etc
trel1king

Post by trel1king »

Preferred not to, answering all their questions ended up with my meal going cold before I had chance to eat it, used to tell passengers that I would be in bar/lounge half hour before and after meal and happy to chat then
BOBueview

Post by BOBueview »

I think it depends on the group and also where you are. If you’re invited to sit with passengers then i generally would but sometimes it’s nice to have a bit of time on your own.
Woodyn

Post by Woodyn »

No your time for talking to your passengers is when your with your coach, yes granted your there in an emergency if you bump intp them fine have a chat but a driver needs to rest, id be inclined to say if your sitting with pax at meal times it could be arguably classed as cross hammers as your still in a working capacity, you have your downtime why sacrifice it
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Woodyn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 pm No your time for talking to your passengers is when your with your coach, yes granted your there in an emergency if you bump intp them fine have a chat but a driver needs to rest, id be inclined to say if your sitting with pax at meal times it could be arguably classed as cross hammers as your still in a working capacity, you have your downtime why sacrifice it
eating a meal with a passenger is other work? Oh come on!
Woodyn

Post by Woodyn »

Dayxana wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 pm
Woodyn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 pm No your time for talking to your passengers is when your with your coach, yes granted your there in an emergency if you bump intp them fine have a chat but a driver needs to rest, id be inclined to say if your sitting with pax at meal times it could be arguably classed as cross hammers as your still in a working capacity, you have your downtime why sacrifice it
im not saying it is but some may construe it that way mate hence why i said arguably
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Woodyn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:03 pm
im not saying it is but some may construe it that way mate hence why i said arguably
rubbish
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

you said "I'd be inclined to say" therefore you are saying it
Woodyn

Post by Woodyn »

Dayxana wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:04 pm

oh shush stop looking for a rise from me because its not happening 😂😂😂
Woodyn

Post by Woodyn »

people are really bored of you coming here starting arguments mate. Why do you feel a need to comment if you are just going to deride people, it doesn't make you look like a very nice person
Woodyn

Post by Woodyn »

id be inclined to say therefore arguably (means leaving open to question)
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Woodyn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm

your statement says that in your opinion it could be classed as other work. Which is total nonsense, it's not open to question.
I'm not starting an argument, I'm questioning utter rubbish concerning the rules that people make up, because nowhere, ever have you read that and no dvsa examiner ever said it.(though I wouldn't be surprised if some dumb CPC trainer came out with it)
Making claims such as you did makes you look like something wouldn't you say?
Woodyn

Post by Woodyn »

Dayxana wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm

your statement says that in your opinion it could be classed as other work. Which is total nonsense, it's not open to question.
I'm not starting an argument, I'm questioning utter rubbish concerning the rules that people make up, because nowhere, ever have you read that and no dvsa examiner ever said it.(though I wouldn't be surprised if some dumb CPC trainer came out with it)
i personally wouldn't consider it cross hammers however some would i was playing devils advocate
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Woodyn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:06 pm
Dayxana wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm

i personally wouldn't consider it cross hammers however some would i was playing devils advocate
ok, then they are stupid.
Gregyx

Post by Gregyx »

Nope, used to ask for a table by myself away from them ! Got fed up with all the questions like are you married driver, any kids etc etc
nick4ummni

Post by nick4ummni »

Ask for a table in the room but in a corner on your own!
weir8onia

Post by weir8onia »

Try not to then when I'm finished I can sneak away to my room for peace and quiet
conq7nally

Post by conq7nally »

I like to go around all the guests at dinner, when they have sat down before meal is served and ask if room is okay ect, then go have my dinner and disappear/ prepare for next days excursion! It really does depend thou on hotel, some sit u away from guests, some invite you to dine with them, when dining with customers your still on the job!
Wilkiesful

Post by Wilkiesful »

Definitely not! Always ideal when you can get somewhere you can sit away from them

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”