How many people pay for the RAC to cover breakdowns? NOT worth the paper it’s written on, only 4 times in the last 8

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
BOWMAXAS

How many people pay for the RAC to cover breakdowns? NOT worth the paper it’s written on, only 4 times in the last 8

Post by BOWMAXAS »

How many people pay for the RAC to cover breakdowns?
In our family we have 5 cars covered through the insurance all with the RAC.
NOT worth the paper it’s written on, only 4 times in the last 8 years they have been called on TWICE they have asked for more money.
Today they want an extra £180 because the car is outside our house apparently we have not got home start.
If a car is not going to start it’s most likely first thing in the morning (isn’t it).
So I see it as a total get out for them to suggest I need to pay more money. The AA is a far better breakdown service, they cover every situation without question.
I need to cancel all the cover.
toon8star

Re: How many people pay for the RAC to cover breakdowns? NOT worth the paper it’s written on, only 4 times in the last 8

Post by toon8star »

If you don’t have home start, the AA won’t come out either 🤔
Carld-Stoyo

Re: How many people pay for the RAC to cover breakdowns? NOT worth the paper it’s written on, only 4 times in the last 8

Post by Carld-Stoyo »

toon8star wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am If you don’t have home start, the AA won’t come out either 🤔
correct
BOWMAXAS

Post by BOWMAXAS »

toon8star wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am If you don’t have home start, the AA won’t come out either 🤔
it’s not really about home start , last time they would not assist I bought the car earlier in the day and it was not yet added to policy .
We picked car up out of town late on and it broke down going home .
Wanted about £120 that day , my brother called the AA as he was with me .
They took us back home .
toon8star

Post by toon8star »

BOWMAXAS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am
it’s not really about home start , last time they would not assist I bought the car earlier in the day and it was not yet added to policy .
They took us back home .
I’m an AA man myself, always had AA. The RAC are not the best at the moment by any means. Just saying home start is usually and extra unless you have a premium policy with most of them tbh. They all know at home is most likely to not start so they want to limit their losses (they are an insurance product)
timPPatronym

Post by timPPatronym »

They took us back home .
yes but that would have been on his cover not yours. Like the RAC the policy insures you whichever vehicle you are travelling in.
saunid2156

Post by saunid2156 »

They took us back home .
AA added a car on at the roadside whilst recovery were on way when i had just bought it
Clenn.Days

Post by Clenn.Days »

They took us back home .
that’s the trouble with RAC, the car is covered. With the AA, the member is covered for any car.
martin.Blink

Post by martin.Blink »

Clenn.Days wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am
They took us back home .
that’s the trouble with RAC, the car is covered. With the AA, the member is covered for any car.
will have to check this out, is it a new thing, as I've never had a problem before.
Willeuro

Post by Willeuro »

They took us back home .
Not true, I'm RAC and I'm covered whatever vehicle I'm in.
The car only policy is the cheapest one they do I think
Clenn.Days

Post by Clenn.Days »

Willeuro wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

They took us back home .
Not true, I'm RAC and I'm covered whatever vehicle I'm in.
The car only policy is the cheapest one they do I think
ah ok, I did enquire years ago to change to RAC as I thought AA was a bit steep. RAC themselves informed me that it was the car that was covered no matter who drives it.
Clenn.Days

Post by Clenn.Days »

martin.Blink wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

They took us back home .
will have to check this out, is it a new thing, as I've never had a problem before.
sorry, what will you check out, the member being covered for any car?
martin.Blink

Post by martin.Blink »

Clenn.Days wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am
martin.Blink wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

sorry, what will you check out, the member being covered for any car?
yes ,as that what I thought it always was.
pennined54

Post by pennined54 »

They took us back home .
not necessarily mate I have AA which is just for my car only
Clenn.Days

Post by Clenn.Days »

pennined54 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

They took us back home .
must be down to individual membership.
Dacamd5

Post by Dacamd5 »

Clenn.Days wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

I have personal cover with Rac, covers me regardless of what vehicle I’m in
sedy_nass

Post by sedy_nass »

They took us back home .
I’m covered for any car I drive with rac
Payy_Anguris

Post by Payy_Anguris »

Clenn.Days wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

I’m with the RAC and I’m covered for any car i drive !!
LIAMOENE

Post by LIAMOENE »

They took us back home .
my policy^ I think that one is about £12 a month
Attachments
Rac.jpg
Rac.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 330 times
adamyg

Post by adamyg »

don't people have battery chargers or jump leads now adays as a flat battery is 99% of the problem now adays
pipeNBerty

Post by pipeNBerty »

adamyg wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am
don't people have battery chargers or jump leads now adays as a flat battery is 99% of the problem now adays
got mine in the boot
Clenn.Days

Post by Clenn.Days »

exactly, got 2 jump start packs, unfortunately no good for my 2.0D but fine for wife’s 1.5D. Apart from that, heavy duty battery charger with jump start facility, jump leads and if all that fails a motorbike. 👍
PaulFree

Post by PaulFree »

some customers should stay well away from jump starts. Only recently one of my colleagues went out to an old dears car that one of her neighbors had offered to help her out and connected the leads and fried her electrics.
adamyg

Post by adamyg »

Clenn.Days wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am
exactly, got 2 jump start packs, unfortunately no good for my 2.0D but fine for wife’s 1.5D. Apart from that, heavy duty battery charger with jump start facility, jump leads and if all that fails a motorbike. 👍
aslong as 1 of them starts
adamyg

Post by adamyg »

PaulFree wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am
some customers should stay well away from jump starts. Only recently one of my colleagues went out to an old dears car that one of her neighbors had offered to help her out and connected the leads and fried her electrics.
that doesn't surprise me at all.
GeoyahChari

Post by GeoyahChari »

No the AA u still have to add all that on. Homestart is an additional as is onward journey(courtesy car) etc
BOWMAXAS

Post by BOWMAXAS »

dyd1smane wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am You’re brave using RAC 😂
sadly it’s who the insurance companies seem to use
dyd1smane

Post by dyd1smane »

BOWMAXAS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am
say no to break down and find your own. Green flag are spot on or use smaller companies like emergency assist or Brittania rescue. Been working in recovery for 5 years and I’d avoid rac and aa like the plague 😂
neepwre21

Post by neepwre21 »

dyd1smane wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am
BOWMAXAS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am
say no to break down and find your own. Green flag are spot on or use smaller companies like emergency assist or Brittania rescue. Been working in recovery for 5 years and I’d avoid rac and aa like the plague 😂
green flag are my go to. Been spot on the couple of times I’ve had to call them, including out in the wilds on the moors in the Peak District.
Keann.Truck

Post by Keann.Truck »

so who would u recommend dont say AA cause ther crap
dyd1smane

Post by dyd1smane »

Keann.Truck wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm
said above who I’d recommend
Keann.Truck

Post by Keann.Truck »

dyd1smane wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm
said above who I’d recommend
well I can't see ur comment above
oriore2157

Post by oriore2157 »

start https://rescue.com/ They are the best going and cheap as chips
1693-ansull

Post by 1693-ansull »

oriore2157 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm
they are defo best for the customers shame the rates they pay us are pretty much the lowest in the industry now 😩
oriore2157

Post by oriore2157 »

1693-ansull wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

they are defo best for the customers shame the rates they pay us are pretty much the lowest in the industry now 😩
not sure what’s rates your on with them
1693-ansull

Post by 1693-ansull »

oriore2157 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

not great ones so we just do the jobs that suit our day and it works well. I used to do 99 % of everything that was sent but not now 👍🏼
oriore2157

Post by oriore2157 »

1693-ansull wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm
oriore2157 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

not great ones so we just do the jobs that suit our day and it works well. I used to do 99 % of everything that was sent but not now 👍🏼
I know a lot are on different rates to be fair
RattieldBanz

Post by RattieldBanz »

Push it 100 yards down rd
then it’s not a home start
lackken

Post by lackken »

If I'm reading it right, the brakedown is via your insurance? If so then it is the most basic brakedown you can get the same as the brakedown you get with your bank.
I done some recovery work few years ago. And we where only allowed to tow them 10 miles for free, anything more the customer had to pay, the same goes for home start. If you can I'd advise pushing/towing the car 3 miles from your home address and call them.
Marcomso

Post by Marcomso »

lackken wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm If I'm reading it right, the brakedown is via your insurance? If so then it is the most basic brakedown you can get the same as the brakedown you get with your bank.
I done some recovery work few years ago. And we where only allowed to tow them 10 miles for free, anything more the customer had to pay, the same goes for home start. If you can I'd advise pushing/towing the car 3 miles from your home address and call them.
I get breakdown with my bank account which covers all family members and also includes home start.
Dacamd5

Post by Dacamd5 »

lackken wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm If I'm reading it right, the brakedown is via your insurance? If so then it is the most basic brakedown you can get the same as the brakedown you get with your bank.
snap would never have breakdown through my insurance , learnt that when I was on recovery
bedxonyse

Post by bedxonyse »

It’s there for emergences if you don’t want it cancel it simples😆its not their fault if you haven’t broken down 🤣🤣
HolteRcous

Post by HolteRcous »

bedxonyse wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm It’s there for emergences if you don’t want it cancel it simples😆its not their fault if you haven’t broken down 🤣🤣
can’t start a car at home but the RAC are bad for wanting money off a man who didn’t add home start 🙈
bedxonyse

Post by bedxonyse »

HolteRcous wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm
bedxonyse wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm It’s there for emergences if you don’t want it cancel it simples😆its not their fault if you haven’t broken down 🤣🤣
can’t start a car at home but the RAC are bad for wanting money off a man who didn’t add home start 🙈
I use the AA to be fair
Aaropen

Post by Aaropen »

Don’t go basic , my partner found out the hard way !
I’m fully covered and used them twice in 8 years but worth it when you need it 👌
Home start , onward travel , £150 pp on board , hotel ect .
Worth the extra couple quid .
I guess you only pay £7pm but £13plus gives you a lot more .
Meador_Byko

Post by Meador_Byko »

Was with the RAC for 19 years, broke down by Fleet services on way back from Gatwick after two weeks away and the relay driver said he wouldn’t take us home to Cornwall as it was too far and no one else was available. Had to be towed to a friends house nearby for the night, cancelled them next day and joined AA. Never had a problem with the AA
osm8tricHo

Post by osm8tricHo »

Best is asda break down. 1 policy covers all even if you're a passenger another vehicle they'll recover
HolteRcous

Post by HolteRcous »

osm8tricHo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm Best is asda break down. 1 policy covers all even if you're a passenger another vehicle they'll recover
but homestart is still an add on
osm8tricHo

Post by osm8tricHo »

HolteRcous wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm
osm8tricHo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm Best is asda break down. 1 policy covers all even if you're a passenger another vehicle they'll recover
but homestart is still an add on
I am not sure. But if you have s halifax or lloyds account for £25 you get break down holiday insurance and mobile cover
BhobyGton

Post by BhobyGton »

AA are the same as RAC, we had a car which was getting on a bit and in one year we called them out 6 times, each for different things and not through lack of care and maintenance, we had the top package and all the add ons but they still wrote to us informing us that any more breakdowns for the rest of the year would be chargeable at full rate. Since then when I take out insurance I do it with one that provides breakdown cover with the policy, it's a lot cheaper too
ParsIInvont

Post by ParsIInvont »

Why do people expect something for nothing 🤔?
Read the information you've been given about what you're not paying for 😮.
Daggs1487

Post by Daggs1487 »

ParsIInvont wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm Why do people expect something for nothing 🤔?
The T&C's are buried quite well if via insurance. They make it sound like you just have breakdown cover.
BELSKIDDLE

Post by BELSKIDDLE »

Daggs1487 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm
ParsIInvont wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm Why do people expect something for nothing 🤔?
The T&C's are buried quite well if via insurance. They make it sound like you just have breakdown cover.
when you take out the cover especially when talking to a operator will point out that you don’t have home start. Simples
Daggs1487

Post by Daggs1487 »

BELSKIDDLE wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm
Daggs1487 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm
when you take out the cover especially when talking to a operator will point out that you don’t have home start. Simples
Simples? What are you a f**king meerkat? 😂
HolteRcous

Post by HolteRcous »

So you knew the AA we’re better , you knew you didn’t have home start, you are at home and still needed breakdown to start a car … but RAC are the bad ones ?
BOWMAXAS

Post by BOWMAXAS »

HolteRcous wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm So you knew the AA we’re better , you knew you didn’t have home start, you are at home and still needed breakdown to start a car … but RAC are the bad ones ?
come with insurance you can’t say to insurance I don’t like the RAC .
You take what ye given but there service isn’t good enough I have daughters who could be left high and dry on a road side somewhere .. NOT GOOD
AshterGsav

Post by AshterGsav »

Green flag is best, I work in recovery and find green flag are great with customers.
jefly-viors

Post by jefly-viors »

The tried to double mine, told them not to renew and hung up, 2 hours later they phoned me with a price cheaper than what I had been paying for better cover
edgano33

Post by edgano33 »

I had THE AA, they took my car and delivered my car 3hr one way to work place, only because tyre flat and I don't have spare one, free off charge.
HarZin

Post by HarZin »

Britannia rescue are very good.
saunid2156

Post by saunid2156 »

For the sake of piece of mind no matter the vehicle always take full coverage. Means you wont ever be stuck albeit a long wait sometimes haha
yeddings

Post by yeddings »

I broke down with an Aston Martin V8 in the afternoon,after telephoning them a few times to find where they were at 20.00 they told me they had no one was available to come out!
McNicolid

Post by McNicolid »

When you move across to the so called superior company that is the AA remember and tick the box to add home start to the policy.
Patterro

Post by Patterro »

Cancel it and call the local breakdown company as and when needed
hugh_GREAT

Post by hugh_GREAT »

If you think about it, these services are for unexpected roadside breakdowns. If you are at home, you have time to call out a local garage etc. If you drive an unreliable old banger, you can't expect them to keep fixing it all the time. It's like a lot of things - you are perfectly honest and wouldn't dream of cheating the system. Others will lie and cheat.
nycNath

Post by nycNath »

Generally most and breakdown cover from banks and insurance companies are just the basic package, so when you do call them they will only do basic things like take you 12-20 miles
Reezi2158

Post by Reezi2158 »

I get free recovery from Volvo it also covers my caravan as long as I have V70 D5 AWD serviced by them

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”