Guys I just need an advice, I have got a shift tomorrow as HGV driver. Is my first day as HGV driver. Basically I

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Trigo.llim

Re: Guys I just need an advice, I have got a shift tomorrow as HGV driver. Is my first day as HGV driver. Basically I

Post by Trigo.llim »

ninkUndoge wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:29 pm
Trigo.llim wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:29 pm
ninkUndoge wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:28 pm

theory test and cpc hours cover everything. That's what they are for. To ask all of your s questions, get them answered, wrote the answers down, go trough them day and night so you can sit behind the wheel of those 44t and be confident not to kill someone on the road, while getting them millions. Jesus, this is a serious job. Which I don't think about the post it self, but that's another beer.
I'm quite aware. I've been driving for a few years. The theory test doesn't cover everything regarding driving hours for example double-manning or how ferry mode works etc. It covers the simpler stuff but not everything - Ofcourse I took mine 10 years back so things might have changed since - My post still stands though. The theory test doesn't tell you how the operation of the tachograph works, for example doing manual entries or doing printouts.
are you talking about theory test, like theory test? Isn't it the exam? If so, why is this suppose to teach you anything? By the way, when you said it like that, listen - me personally believe that this job is a passion (which kinda every job should be if this is your thing) about every aspect of it. And because it's all about the market and you are the merchandise, you should aim to be better than N1 and get the nice seats, behind the wheel and be happy. So you should sit down and read everything possible about stuff like that, you are in groups, people are sharing sh1t. You are, "yeah, I know this, no I don't know that, let me have a deep dig about this, because I might need it one day, it is part of the job, obviously... "...
Yes, we are talking about the theory training and 2 tests that a driver receives before they get their C or C+E licence. Many seem to assume everything is taught what a driver needs to know - When I did mine that was not the case and I believe this hasn't changed.
Many have got their licence without needing a theory test due to how long they got their licence and seem happy to piss on anyone who doesn't know everything.
Tachograph operation is not taught in theory or practical training
Nor is air suspension adjustment on the C test
Nor is how a manual gearbox works, be that with range changers, split gears or slap-boxes, or the semi-automatics that still have a clutch for starting and stoppping
Nor is how a chiller and temperature receipt printout
Nor is PTO operation
Nobody knows everything. Afterall, you don't know what you don't know
Sadly companies that take on new drivers wont typically fill in the gaps of knowledge to help the driver do their job safer and easier and so new drivers will ask questions on here amongst other platforms 🙂
davevix

Re: Guys I just need an advice, I have got a shift tomorrow as HGV driver. Is my first day as HGV driver. Basically I

Post by davevix »

I passed my HGV 2 last April CPC showed me nothing about tacho just skirted around it. I too have not driven a HGV for work yet and would be in the same position as this guy
Jonetwor

Post by Jonetwor »

davevix wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:41 pm I passed my HGV 2 last April CPC showed me nothing about tacho just skirted around it. I too have not driven a HGV for work yet and would be in the same position as this guy
try you tube mate, it will show you manual entries on both types of tacho. Just find the vid and keep playing it over and over.
Andivo

Post by Andivo »

davevix wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:41 pm I passed my HGV 2 last April CPC showed me nothing about tacho just skirted around it. I too have not driven a HGV for work yet and would be in the same position as this guy
same as. My tacho experience was being shown it. Why don't they make u use when learning to get used to it. I'm sure it's not bit seems so bloody complicated
michwy

Post by michwy »

Watch some you tube video of how to operate the tacho and have a quick read up on hours. You can do 4 1/2 hours driving or 6 hours working time directive whichever you exceed first then you have to have 45 mins break. You can split break in to 2 parts but you have to take 15 first then half hour after or just have a solid 45 mins
camterlFan

Post by camterlFan »

come on lads and ladys we was all worried about the taco for the first time and reversing x
ROBICONAL

Post by ROBICONAL »

camterlFan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:47 pm come on lads and ladys we was all worried about the taco for the first time and reversing x
💯 mate I still am about reversing now I've cracked the taco
jittLecordz

Post by jittLecordz »

camterlFan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:47 pm come on lads and ladys we was all worried about the taco for the first time and reversing x
yeh and now the old school think what you can’t reverse, I see a new driver I always jump out and see him back or guide him how to reverse,
WebyChted

Post by WebyChted »

when reversing does the tacho go backwards ?? Asking for a friend 🤣
Jonetwor

Post by Jonetwor »

Just thought ,go on you tube and put in manual entries on both types of tacho it will help.
HeaHelmet

Post by HeaHelmet »

Best bet find someone who is there to help you, lots of variations, has your card ever been used before for driving assessments and such, then there's the manual entry. It's hard to help from miles away.
Duanett

Post by Duanett »

Don't worry about your card
Turn the keys and go babby
Holtzen

Post by Holtzen »

Best thing to do is youtube it
RonRaphen

Post by RonRaphen »

I have 40 years on wagons clean licence and to be honest. Not a clue with all this bull shit drivers rules its make money based. Last week on a1m joined jun 50 next thing a tracter unit comes up at side of me passenger no seat belt on takeing phottos of me i was doung 56 then he accelarated and gone the speed linit dor thatvehicle is 56 and pass should be qearing a seat belt. Extthing traffic car in my mirrows blues and tues goung like a bat out of hell pulles in xront me and gice me a tickwt for noseat belt so for all them who no every thing wots the point
euonymous

Post by euonymous »

Put your card in with chip facing up furthest way from you. Close and then it will as you questions. It will ask you if you have rested say no then you input the time you rested to say 6am and then you move sign to cross hammer to the length of time it took you to go to truck from office. So started at 6 say 5 minutes that then take you to 6.05 and then keep pressing yes until it says ready to drive. But if you can find another driver ask them to show you most drivers are decent and will help. We all started somewhere.
critec-2346

Post by critec-2346 »

Something I put together, hopefully this will help a little
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 157 times
mariumUK

Post by mariumUK »

Attachments
Photo1.jpg
Photo1.jpg (308.69 KiB) Viewed 156 times
mariumUK

Post by mariumUK »

Attachments
Photo2.jpg
Photo2.jpg (219.77 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Aldino-myxe

Post by Aldino-myxe »

Just put your card in face down with your thumb on your face you don’t need to do anything you got 4 half hours of driving but try get it in on 4 hours and you got 6 hours of working time before you need a 15 and another 30 before 9 hours of working time you got 15 hours working day but only 9 hours driving time but you can extend to 10 hours
Aldino-myxe

Post by Aldino-myxe »

Just look up on google or YouTube
LaLavendex

Post by LaLavendex »

Aldino-myxe wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:03 pm Just look up on google or YouTube
10 hours only twice a week
Aldino-myxe

Post by Aldino-myxe »

LaLavendex wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:03 pm
yes
Aldino-myxe

Post by Aldino-myxe »

But only three 15 hours a week rest got to be 13 hours but keek one 20 hours driving time till Friday foot down day
AndryUrman

Post by AndryUrman »

Aldino-myxe wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:04 pm
But only three 15 hours a week rest got to be 13 hours but keek one 20 hours driving time till Friday foot down day
thank you very much that make sense
mariumUK

Post by mariumUK »

Attachments
Photo3.jpg
Photo3.jpg (88.92 KiB) Viewed 147 times
GarGo1

Post by GarGo1 »

I can’t believe the amount of nuggets taking this AN post seriously ffs
Roms_kyvue

Post by Roms_kyvue »

GarGo1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:06 pm I can’t believe the amount of nuggets taking this AN post seriously ffs
Just help the guy
GarGo1

Post by GarGo1 »

Roms_kyvue wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:07 pm
GarGo1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:06 pm I can’t believe the amount of nuggets taking this AN post seriously ffs
Just help the guy
I take it you’re the prick
karjuNess

Post by karjuNess »

You Should have a bit of training on driving hours etc really
KusThus

Post by KusThus »

Surely any company or agency give you a taco test before you start for the company any company I have ever had a interview with a start Iv always had the taco and drivers hours question sheet
Thompla

Post by Thompla »

Planning is key looking to stop for a break after 3.5 hours drive unless your going to reach you destination well within 4.5, you have the option to do a ten hour drive 2 times a week, be aware that daily rest has to be done in a 24 hour period, not per day, ie if you start at 6 am you need to complete your daily rest of 11 hours or a reduced of 9, if you have worked over 13 hours, before 6 am the following morning.
DredyMuss

Post by DredyMuss »

Why wait until your first day of work to ask this question? Whether it's on the CPC or not, why didn't you ask your instructor during your lessons?
arnois_2347

Post by arnois_2347 »

Attachments
wtd.jpg
wtd.jpg (54.33 KiB) Viewed 137 times
arnois_2347

Post by arnois_2347 »

Attachments
drivers hours.jpg
drivers hours.jpg (69.77 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Corrie_haul

Post by Corrie_haul »

You are exempt from using a tacho if it's your first day mate! Its like a trial period to see if you like driving. You are allowed 7 days grace....hope that helps 👍👍
heratroSY

Post by heratroSY »

You got videos on youtube that explain everything
Jamiell

Post by Jamiell »

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (152.83 KiB) Viewed 133 times
AndryUrman

Post by AndryUrman »

Jamiell wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:25 pm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thank you
PorageDart

Post by PorageDart »

Just don't put card in and you'll be fine all shift 😂
Miguest.cox

Post by Miguest.cox »

Take a break of 15m before your 6 hr since the card is in for wtd
Another 15 before your 9hrs work then see when you another 3o minute for clear your driving time
guyde.2348

Post by guyde.2348 »

Ask another driver in the yard.
Time to put your big boy pants on!
Beaver40

Post by Beaver40 »

your breaks will depend on many factors but one will be dependant on the industry you work in. im multi drop so split breaks for me which covers working time and driving time
GaryAndo

Post by GaryAndo »

After 37 years some days I can’t reverse in a straight line 😏 as for the tacho I’ve never bothered and just drove wherever whenever and if questioned just tell them you have perishables onboard !! 😁👍
alinesus96

Post by alinesus96 »

I ask myself how could you pass the exams for HGV driver.
rxeoRoo

Post by rxeoRoo »

Your ugly mug is the last thing you should see..
That’s the way your card goes..
Never forgot that.
Make sure you have your 15 break and the second one must be at least 30 mins.
Jim_Mint

Post by Jim_Mint »

Company, if they did not assess you.
beatzMADD

Post by beatzMADD »

Explore the tacho menu, it should tell you how much time you have remaining on your drive
pereys

Post by pereys »

FOR EVERYONE THAT DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO USE: THERE ARE 2 MANUFACTURERS: VDO & STONERIDGE. GO ON THEIR WEBSITES AND THEY BOTH HAVE IN ABSOLUTELY EVERY LANGUAGE IN EUROPE FAST INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU ONLY HAVE 5 MINUTES AND FULL MANUAL IF YOU HAVE AN HOUR TO READ. THEY BOTH HAVE YOUTUBE CHANNELS WITH SHORT VIDEOS ON HOW TO USE THE TACHO. ALSO THE INTERNET IS FULL OF SHORT STRAIGHT TO THE POINT INFO ON THE RULES, JUST GOOGLE DRIVERS HOURS. IF YOU HAVE TIME TO READ THE LAW, IS ONLY A FEW PAGES, GOOGLE 561/2006.
AndryUrman

Post by AndryUrman »

pereys wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:40 pm FOR EVERYONE THAT DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO USE: THERE ARE 2 MANUFACTURERS: VDO & STONERIDGE. GO ON THEIR WEBSITES AND THEY BOTH HAVE IN ABSOLUTELY EVERY LANGUAGE IN EUROPE FAST INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU ONLY HAVE 5 MINUTES AND FULL MANUAL IF YOU HAVE AN HOUR TO READ. THEY BOTH HAVE YOUTUBE CHANNELS WITH SHORT VIDEOS ON HOW TO USE THE TACHO. ALSO THE INTERNET IS FULL OF SHORT STRAIGHT TO THE POINT INFO ON THE RULES, JUST GOOGLE DRIVERS HOURS. IF YOU HAVE TIME TO READ THE LAW, IS ONLY A FEW PAGES, GOOGLE 561/2006.
Can you send the link of the video please
pereys

Post by pereys »

AndryUrman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:40 pm
pereys wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:40 pm FOR EVERYONE THAT DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO USE: THERE ARE 2 MANUFACTURERS: VDO & STONERIDGE. GO ON THEIR WEBSITES AND THEY BOTH HAVE IN ABSOLUTELY EVERY LANGUAGE IN EUROPE FAST INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU ONLY HAVE 5 MINUTES AND FULL MANUAL IF YOU HAVE AN HOUR TO READ. THEY BOTH HAVE YOUTUBE CHANNELS WITH SHORT VIDEOS ON HOW TO USE THE TACHO. ALSO THE INTERNET IS FULL OF SHORT STRAIGHT TO THE POINT INFO ON THE RULES, JUST GOOGLE DRIVERS HOURS. IF YOU HAVE TIME TO READ THE LAW, IS ONLY A FEW PAGES, GOOGLE 561/2006.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou ... vers-hours
pereys

Post by pereys »

pereys

Post by pereys »

https://www.se5000.com/training/
pereys

Post by pereys »

https://www.bluedropservices.co.uk/User ... raphic.jpg
Alex0crim

Post by Alex0crim »

Just put it in and leave it. Worry about manual entries another day
riri+adess

Post by riri+adess »

Give ya head a wobble and stay in bed you clown 🤡 😴
chadel

Post by chadel »

Mate the trick is, once you've done tour check you have 4 options"
1. Call a friend
2. Ask a lad there
3. Google it
4. Be honest and tell transport you've not used this tachograph before you need someone to run you through how to use it so you don't f**k it up.
They'd genuinely appreciate the last one, just be honest mate
Dandanic

Post by Dandanic »

You can drive 4 hours 30 minutes before you need a 45 minute break then you can do your next drive time remember though you can only drive 9 hours a day which can be extended to 10 2 times a week.
You can also split your break if you need to so you can drive say 3 hours have a 15 minute then soon as you get to your 4hour 30 minute drive time take the remaining 30 minutes of your break if at any time your in doubt go into the gov websites for tacho rules and regulations.
dautie02

Post by dautie02 »

Dandanic wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:46 pm You can drive 4 hours 30 minutes before you need a 45 minute break then you can do your next drive time remember though you can only drive 9 hours a day which can be extended to 10 2 times a week.
You can also split your break if you need to so you can drive say 3 hours have a 15 minute then soon as you get to your 4hour 30 minute drive time take the remaining 30 minutes of your break if at any time your in doubt go into the gov websites for tacho rules and regulations.
2 times in a ‘fixed week’, but 4 times in a ‘working week’ 😉

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”