Guys I just need an advice, I have got a shift tomorrow as HGV driver. Is my first day as HGV driver. Basically I

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Paullard

Re: Guys I just need an advice, I have got a shift tomorrow as HGV driver. Is my first day as HGV driver. Basically I

Post by Paullard »

Use your spare card until you find your feet. Don't want to spoil your main one!
KGee-Darma

Re: Guys I just need an advice, I have got a shift tomorrow as HGV driver. Is my first day as HGV driver. Basically I

Post by KGee-Darma »

Funny how your all taking the piss....
The bloke is new we were all once wet behind the ears , And funny enough I don't remember anything being taught to me about tacos and wtd etc that's something I learnt myself via knowledge and asking more experience people.
jasonic

Post by jasonic »

You need to go back in the warehouse mate. If you dont know the basics you will be utterly lost
cart3ally

Post by cart3ally »

jasonic wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:04 pm You need to go back in the warehouse mate. If you dont know the basics you will be utterly lost
how’s he meant to know when you learn nothing when learning, first time I ever touched a tacho was my first day on the job
chapoi-quu

Post by chapoi-quu »

Go on the internet and download all the information on driver's time work time break times and read it until you know what taco you've got nobody really can explain all slightly different
Elliotex

Post by Elliotex »

If you don’t know basic driving hours dont do the job. It’s one thing not to know the full workings of a tacho but it’s totally another thing to not know after how many hours you must take a break etc. This is basic working hours rules and this WILL have come up in your theory test as at least one of the questions, so either you have somehow scammed a way to get someone to give you the answers or you got it wrong and still passed the test. Either way you should know this.
RushPorth

Post by RushPorth »

Mate if I was you I would have a watch of you tube an perhaps visit driving school websites as they often have tutorials online to help. Hope this helps
toms.kipp

Post by toms.kipp »

This might help.
Attachments
Drivers.jpg
Drivers.jpg (73.39 KiB) Viewed 191 times
dee+mmd

Post by dee+mmd »

Not got a induction day then??? With an experienced driver
MichaSell1

Post by MichaSell1 »

dee+mmd wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:20 pm Not got a induction day then??? With an experienced driver
looks like never had a assessment with the company too
dee+mmd

Post by dee+mmd »

MichaSell1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:20 pm
dee+mmd wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:20 pm Not got a induction day then??? With an experienced driver
exactly what I was thinking on that one fella
MichaSell1

Post by MichaSell1 »

dee+mmd wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:21 pm
MichaSell1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:20 pm
exactly what I was thinking on that one fella
I got taught how to use tacho on my assessment as was 1st job. And have so theory on assessment to see if I understand working hours
incaRida

Post by incaRida »

Unfortunately yes the training in certain areas for part 2 and 4 is very poor
cameBugsy

Post by cameBugsy »

!!
Attachments
WTD.jpg
WTD.jpg (139.58 KiB) Viewed 181 times
cameBugsy

Post by cameBugsy »

!!
Attachments
DLB.jpg
DLB.jpg (110.31 KiB) Viewed 181 times
WhieWayson

Post by WhieWayson »

cameBugsy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:23 pm!!
im borrowing these kind sir for when people ask me stuff
cameBugsy

Post by cameBugsy »

WhieWayson wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:26 pm
that's how I've got them 🤣 my old boss gave me copies when I first started, carried them with me everywhere it comes in handy so much if ever your memory just slips
dautie02

Post by dautie02 »

WhieWayson wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:26 pm
They are both out of date and both lacking in information. Bin them 👌🏻
cameBugsy

Post by cameBugsy »

!!
Attachments
IMAGE.jpg
IMAGE.jpg (8.93 KiB) Viewed 174 times
cameBugsy

Post by cameBugsy »

Driving will set automatically when the vehicle is moving, break can either be put on manually however some vehicles change to it whenever the engine is stopped and not moving, other work, same again can be set manually or can change automatically when the vehicle is stopped, POA to be used in any time when you are neither having break nor doing any other work, this could be whilst waiting for a trailer to be loaded etc.
I suggest watching a video on how to input manual entry as this is a legal requirement at the start of every shift or during vehicle swaps. I'd also say to go back through some of your mock theory questions etc to refresh your memory a bit
cameBugsy

Post by cameBugsy »

It may also be worth asking your employer for any help, never be afraid to ask for help, if you're working somewhere that makes you feel like you can't ask then it's not worth being there
AndryUrman

Post by AndryUrman »

cameBugsy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:29 pm It may also be worth asking your employer for any help, never be afraid to ask for help, if you're working somewhere that makes you feel like you can't ask then it's not worth being there
thank you
Brookay

Post by Brookay »

And you wonder why drivers are on min wage
cart3ally

Post by cart3ally »

Brookay wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:37 pm And you wonder why drivers are on min wage
maybe it’s because you learn nothing about tachos while learning to drive
Brookay

Post by Brookay »

cart3ally wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:37 pm
Brookay wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:37 pm And you wonder why drivers are on min wage
when you pass your test it’s up to you to get up to speed. It’s your job to
cart3ally

Post by cart3ally »

Brookay wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:37 pm
a lot easier to learn in the job, I never touched a tacho until my first day and you can’t tell me all the rules are not confusing sometimes especially if you haven’t done it before
Brookay

Post by Brookay »

cart3ally wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:38 pm

a lot easier to learn in the job, I never touched a tacho until my first day and you can’t tell me all the rules are not confusing sometimes especially if you haven’t done it before
so you did not put a card in to learn to drive
cart3ally

Post by cart3ally »

Brookay wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:38 pm

no you get your tacho after you pass your test
cart3ally

Post by cart3ally »

Brookay wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:38 pm

well you apply for it but no it is not needed until after the test
Razrrys

Post by Razrrys »

Just put it in mate thats all , new gen of taho does everything for itself so don’t worry
costant_by

Post by costant_by »

For real where you pass your test? cos we have to know all that to pass, any ways your brake will be 45 min after 4 and half hour driving buy you can slipt them in 2 breaks first one as to be all ways 15 min and second 30 min, but if in case you take 30 min on your first brake you still have to take 30 min on the second one
mike0syny

Post by mike0syny »

costant_by wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:43 pm For real where you pass your test? cos we have to know all that to pass, any ways your brake will be 45 min after 4 and half hour driving buy you can slipt them in 2 breaks first one as to be all ways 15 min and second 30 min, but if in case you take 30 min on your first brake you still have to take 30 min on the second one
for real? "Break" "because"
costant_by

Post by costant_by »

mike0syny wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:43 pm
costant_by wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:43 pm For real where you pass your test? cos we have to know all that to pass, any ways your brake will be 45 min after 4 and half hour driving buy you can slipt them in 2 breaks first one as to be all ways 15 min and second 30 min, but if in case you take 30 min on your first brake you still have to take 30 min on the second one
for real? "Break" "because"
what you mean for real and break because
Donogix

Post by Donogix »

You walk I to office at say 4.30 you get to truck at say 4.45 you do manual entry for 15 mins then do 15 walk around then start driving remember you have done 30 mins work so break would be at 10.30 if not drove 4.5 hour before hand .
Also relax a bit someone there will help you if you ask good luck and enjoy your day
michoy+ns

Post by michoy+ns »

Just use your second digi card.
Dri-Drupe

Post by Dri-Drupe »

If you want to inbox me mate I'll chat you through it
robead

Post by robead »

give the guy a chance and no you don't get told fuck all about a tacho when your learning at least help him out
ph7pterwis

Post by ph7pterwis »

plenty know alls on here forget they were new in a job not long ago they would rather slag someone off for asking for help . They the sort that would and sit and film a driver struggling instead of helping.
To op the tachi laws are long and complex but basic rule is 41/2 hr max driving then 45 min break . the 45 min can be split into two breaks but the second one must be 30 min . you dont have to drive 41/2 hrs before taking break but as soon as you take 45 mins break your 41/2hr driving period starts again . there is a lot more to it but start with basics
aleinto

Post by aleinto »

ph7pterwis wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:11 pm plenty know alls on here forget they were new in a job not long ago they would rather slag someone off for asking for help . They the sort that would and sit and film a driver struggling instead of helping.
To op the tachi laws are long and complex but basic rule is 41/2 hr max driving then 45 min break . the 45 min can be split into two breaks but the second one must be 30 min . you dont have to drive 41/2 hrs before taking break but as soon as you take 45 mins break your 41/2hr driving period starts again . there is a lot more to it but start with basics
yea that is true alot people forget when they started . But hawway if a man wants his hgv surely he will do a bit basic study on basic things you need to drive off
And tacho stuff will of popped up in his theory test or atleast his learning for theory ??
ph7pterwis

Post by ph7pterwis »

aleinto wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:24 pm
ph7pterwis wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:11 pm plenty know alls on here forget they were new in a job not long ago they would rather slag someone off for asking for help . They the sort that would and sit and film a driver struggling instead of helping.
yea that is true alot people forget when they started . But hawway if a man wants his hgv surely he will do a bit basic study on basic things you need to drive off
And tacho stuff will of popped up in his theory test or atleast his learning for theory ??
well more than likely did come up and maybe he should of took more notice and if he knew he would get all the negative crap off people he thought would help he would of took more notice
aleinto

Post by aleinto »

ph7pterwis wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:25 pm
well more than likely did come up and maybe he should of took more notice and if he knew he would get all the negative crap off people he thought would help he would of took more notice
tbh he really needs to get used to the negatives as that's all these groups do well all I see
Years back people watched out for each other now they just watching for someone to fail. Same as the old letting people in and getting past. No courtesy flash as a thanks etc people just sit in cab watching someone struggle . This is the new generation but also see alot of older drivers the same short memory all of them 👌
ph7pterwis

Post by ph7pterwis »

aleinto wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:25 pm

tbh he really needs to get used to the negatives as that's all these groups do well all I see
Years back people watched out for each other now they just watching for someone to fail. Same as the old letting people in and getting past. No courtesy flash as a thanks etc people just sit in cab watching someone struggle . This is the new generation but also see alot of older drivers the same short memory all of them 👌
its a sad reality but true what you say driving 5 minutes and think know everything - enough to slag others off when asking for help
they are a rare breed them that still willing to help
aleinto

Post by aleinto »

ph7pterwis wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:26 pm
aleinto wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:25 pm

its a sad reality but true what you say driving 5 minutes and think know everything - enough to slag others off when asking for help
they are a rare breed them that still willing to help
deffo lad 👌
TriceBorgy

Post by TriceBorgy »

❗DON'T TURN UP ❗
YOU WILL BE A LIABILITY TO EVERYBODY ELSE ON THE ROADS IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING 😡
cart3ally

Post by cart3ally »

TriceBorgy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:31 pm ❗DON'T TURN UP ❗
YOU WILL BE A LIABILITY TO EVERYBODY ELSE ON THE ROADS IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING 😡
how is he meant to know when you don’t learn anything on your lessons
TriceBorgy

Post by TriceBorgy »

cart3ally wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:31 pm
Any job you're planning on going into you should do your due diligence know what is required you tube is a useful tool for people to learn about tachograph he's had plenty of time on his hands since passing his test to familiarize himself with the different models and modes, does everyone have to have their hand held, you got to learn before you earn 🤔
cart3ally

Post by cart3ally »

TriceBorgy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:31 pm
Any job you're planning on going into you should do your due diligence know what is required you tube is a useful tool for people to learn about tachograph he's had plenty of time on his hands since passing his test to familiarize himself with the different models and modes, does everyone have to have their hand held, you got to learn before you earn 🤔
maybe he was just looking for some help and research before he starts from a group they know have people who deal with tachos everyday
TriceBorgy

Post by TriceBorgy »

cart3ally wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:32 pm

maybe he was just looking for some help and research before he starts from a group they know have people who deal with tachos everyday
self education is a real good place to start instead of tit bits he'd have to string together, hence the suggestion of looking at you tube videos, like I said due diligence was needed if He knew he was going to be a wagon driver. You should always research the area of employment you wish to enter before entering it 🤨
cart3ally

Post by cart3ally »

TriceBorgy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:32 pm

self education is a real good place to start instead of tit bits he'd have to string together, hence the suggestion of looking at you tube videos, like I said due diligence was needed if He knew he was going to be a wagon driver. You should always research the area of employment you wish to enter before entering it 🤨
yeh I guess so, hardly a liability to everyone if he doesn’t know some rules tho, I learnt basically everything from being on the job
TriceBorgy

Post by TriceBorgy »

cart3ally wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:33 pm

yeh I guess so, hardly a liability to everyone if he doesn’t know some rules tho, I learnt basically everything from being on the job
there is a drivers regs handbook available to download and print off on gov UK, that would have been the first place to start, then he could have looked at tachograph videos, while doing his driver training he could have asked the person training him, I can't keep going on, simple things.
It's like everybody wants everything handed to them without doing the groundwork themselves 🥱
cart3ally

Post by cart3ally »

TriceBorgy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:34 pm

there is a drivers regs handbook available to download and print off on gov UK, that would have been the first place to start, then he could have looked at tachograph videos, while doing his driver training he could have asked the person training him, I can't keep going on, simple things.
It's like everybody wants everything handed to them without doing the groundwork themselves 🥱
I don’t care enough to read the regs lol
TriceBorgy

Post by TriceBorgy »

cart3ally wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:34 pm

and that there is what the problem is with people in the industry, not knowing the regs and not caring.
People people that want to preach on giving others a quick heads up but not knowing if what they are telling them is correct 😂
cart3ally

Post by cart3ally »

TriceBorgy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:35 pm

and that there is what the problem is with people in the industry, not knowing the regs and not caring.
People people that want to preach on giving others a quick heads up but not knowing if what they are telling them is correct 😂
knew that would annoy you, just maybe if someone is asking for tips and stuff maybe either tell them something useful or just keep scrolling
TriceBorgy

Post by TriceBorgy »

cart3ally wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:35 pm

knew that would annoy you, just maybe if someone is asking for tips and stuff maybe either tell them something useful or just keep scrolling
I did tell him something useful ❗ obviously you can't read and process what I told him❗❗
cart3ally

Post by cart3ally »

cart3ally wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:35 pm

I did tell him something useful ❗ obviously you can't read and process what I told him❗❗
😂
szc0harme

Post by szc0harme »

Can you drive that much as your office says to you, you have to end your shift
ColvinTrucks

Post by ColvinTrucks »

I've been driveline for years still don't no how to do manual entry
2343-awmoni

Post by 2343-awmoni »

Just do 4 hours and have a 45 break, then repeat, no infringements until you start learning, don't forget to change mode to break when taking break, no more than 9 hours total drive (stuff the 10th hour) for whole day.
juzPinn

Post by juzPinn »

Question...
Does anyone know how to drive a truck?
If so could I please have some tips, I'm starting a job tomorrow and will be my first time driving.
Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙏
Thanks
Bo0nlandy

Post by Bo0nlandy »

So you have to have a break after being on shift for 6 hours no matter what. This has to be at least 15 mins. But if you’ve done 4.5 hours of driving you have to have 45 mins (can split into 15 and 30 but has to be in that order) this then allows you to drive another 4.5 hours then the same again 45 mins. No matter how much driving you’ve done before you had a total of 45 mins break it resets so if you did 1 hour driving then took 45 mins break waiting at a delivery you can drive 4.5 hours then you have to have 45 again.
If you’re doing more other work than driving. 15 mins before 6 hours into your day and then 30 before 9 hours.
Bo0nlandy

Post by Bo0nlandy »

There are lots of handy videos on YouTube if you’re struggling. Good practice is any time you stop and you’re waiting for something to happen put it on break. Make sure you show at least 10 mins of other work at the start of the shift to prove you’ve done daily checks. And don’t be afraid of asking questions. Better to get some moronic comments than a fine isn’t it
dautie02

Post by dautie02 »

Bo0nlandy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:50 pm So you have to have a break after being on shift for 6 hours no matter what. This has to be at least 15 mins. But if you’ve done 4.5 hours of driving you have to have 45 mins (can split into 15 and 30 but has to be in that order) this then allows you to drive another 4.5 hours then the same again 45 mins. No matter how much driving you’ve done before you had a total of 45 mins break it resets so if you did 1 hour driving then took 45 mins break waiting at a delivery you can drive 4.5 hours then you have to have 45 again.
If you’re doing more other work than driving. 15 mins before 6 hours into your day and then 30 before 9 hours.
Wrong. For Wtd purposes you do NOT have to take another break before 9hrs. You only have to take a break of 15 minutes minimum after working for no more than 6hrs. It’s all to do with your total duty time as to how much break you should have taken in the shift. There is no such thing as the ‘9hr rule’ that you’ve mentioned.
Bo0nlandy

Post by Bo0nlandy »

dautie02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:51 pm
Bo0nlandy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:50 pm So you have to have a break after being on shift for 6 hours no matter what. This has to be at least 15 mins. But if you’ve done 4.5 hours of driving you have to have 45 mins (can split into 15 and 30 but has to be in that order) this then allows you to drive another 4.5 hours then the same again 45 mins. No matter how much driving you’ve done before you had a total of 45 mins break it resets so if you did 1 hour driving then took 45 mins break waiting at a delivery you can drive 4.5 hours then you have to have 45 again.
Wrong. For Wtd purposes you do NOT have to take another break before 9hrs. You only have to take a break of 15 minutes minimum after working for no more than 6hrs. It’s all to do with your total duty time as to how much break you should have taken in the shift. There is no such thing as the ‘9hr rule’ that you’ve mentioned.
oh I must be mistaken I don’t tend to run into wtd I mainly deal with driving time breaks cropping up first so I’ve significantly less experience on that side
JIMowlleys

Post by JIMowlleys »

I'm not a hgv driver but I am interested as a driving instructor how this works and why the confusion.
Your explanation is brilliant well done clear and concise.
But it's a minefield
Bo0nlandy

Post by Bo0nlandy »

JIMowlleys wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:09 pm
I'm not a hgv driver but I am interested as a driving instructor how this works and why the confusion.
But it's a minefield
thanks. As a previous commenter noted I think I got something wrong. It’s a real minefield especially for a new driver because essentially you’re working with 2 sets of rules at the same time being working time directive and EU drivers hours regulations. The government resources are less than helpful and driver training often doesn’t cover these topics. And on top of all that you’ve got to remember your 11 hours rest within 24 hours of starting your shift but you can reduce it to 9 hours 3 times a week. You can only drive 9 hours a day but you increase that to 10 twice a week. You’ve got to have 45 hours off between weeks but it can be 24 but you have to repay the time by the end of the third week. It often feels like the system is designed to catch us out as drivers and give them any excuse to fine us. Like a lot of blue collar and essential industries in this country we are regulated within an inch of our lives. The system feel like it’s out to get us rather than help and support us
JIMowlleys

Post by JIMowlleys »

Bo0nlandy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:12 pm
But it's a minefield
thanks. As a previous commenter noted I think I got something wrong. It’s a real minefield especially for a new driver because essentially you’re working with 2 sets of rules at the same time being working time directive and EU drivers hours regulations. The government resources are less than helpful and driver training often doesn’t cover these topics. And on top of all that you’ve got to remember your 11 hours rest within 24 hours of starting your shift but you can reduce it to 9 hours 3 times a week. You can only drive 9 hours a day but you increase that to 10 twice a week. You’ve got to have 45 hours off between weeks but it can be 24 but you have to repay the time by the end of the third week. It often feels like the system is designed to catch us out as drivers and give them any excuse to fine us. Like a lot of blue collar and essential industries in this country we are regulated within an inch of our lives. The system feel like it’s out to get us rather than help and support us
who thought all this up mensa
Bo0nlandy

Post by Bo0nlandy »

JIMowlleys wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:12 pm
Bo0nlandy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:12 pm

But it's a minefield
who thought all this up mensa
worse. Government bureaucrats

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”