I know this topic is one that divides opinion, just wanting to get an idea if the sort of companies that have

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
HaHasllerne

Re: I know this topic is one that divides opinion, just wanting to get an idea if the sort of companies that have

Post by HaHasllerne »

My company has fitted LYTX cameras in the trucks for about 4 years now but in my case the inward facing camera is covered with tape and the microphone is also covered, I have worked for them for 17 years and if they ever tell me to remove the cover they will lose a driver, they have insisted that for new drivers the inward facing cameras are uncovered for the first 6 months with them for insurance purposes. Which I actually agree with because there are some very young guys here who are not very experienced.
McGracome

Re: I know this topic is one that divides opinion, just wanting to get an idea if the sort of companies that have

Post by McGracome »

My company doesn't but I wouldn't be concerned if they did, I've got nothing to hide
thabbLeryza

Post by thabbLeryza »

They are there to spy on you, companies say they aren't, but of course they would say that!
Robsequ

Post by Robsequ »

Remember the days of log books. When they put tachos in cabs they were classed as a spy. They have upped there game now and have actual cameras.
SPENSyNE

Post by SPENSyNE »

Ours "go off" all the time for no reason, and they look at the footage to try and find something to moan about even though you have done nothing wrong. They are filming all the time while the ignition is on.
Total bullsh*t.
We have tacho's, front rear and side cameras, trackers and Telematics measuring 15 parameters every second. This is plenty already.
They want vehicles to be driven by computers but if they did they would have nobody to pin it on when things go wrong so the next best thing is to control your every move remotely.
It's sick.
KarlRox

Post by KarlRox »

We have them. They cannot access them or spy on us. There has to be a request to view footage, complaint, accident etc. They do check they are working, about 80 wagons a week where they will watch for a minute and them come out (unless they see the driver doing something they shouldn't). I was wary of them when I started, now never think about them. They switch off after one minute when the ignition is turned off.
thabbLeryza

Post by thabbLeryza »

KarlRox wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 pm We have them. They cannot access them or spy on us. There has to be a request to view footage, complaint, accident etc. They do check they are working, about 80 wagons a week where they will watch for a minute and them come out (unless they see the driver doing something they shouldn't). I was wary of them when I started, now never think about them. They switch off after one minute when the ignition is turned off.
You are so gullible mate "They watch us for a minute, then come out". They are SPYING on you whenever they want to!
KarlRox

Post by KarlRox »

thabbLeryza wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 pm
KarlRox wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 pm We have them. They cannot access them or spy on us. There has to be a request to view footage, complaint, accident etc. They do check they are working, about 80 wagons a week where they will watch for a minute and them come out (unless they see the driver doing something they shouldn't). I was wary of them when I started, now never think about them. They switch off after one minute when the ignition is turned off.
You are so gullible mate "They watch us for a minute, then come out". They are SPYING on you whenever they want to!
they cannot spy on us, data protection and all that, if they are it is illegal
KarlRox

Post by KarlRox »

besides doesn't bother me, I don't sit there with my phone in my hand and doing other things not supposed to be doing like many wagon drivers
alpine xf 95

Post by alpine xf 95 »

youndo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:57 pm I know this topic is one that divides opinion, just wanting to get an idea if the sort of companies that have internal cameras in the cabs. I work for a very small general haulage company who are now looking at putting them in.
If you have them, how big is the company and what procedures are in place to follow the rules around monitoring, GDPR etc.
Thanks
Looks like its time to go and find a job at a proper company, not a two bob bit outfit if they cannot trust you ? can / should you trust them ? NO is the answer to that.
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

KarlRox wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:15 pm
they cannot spy on us, data protection and all that, if they are it is illegal
So a driver is pulled in for a disciplinary, "we caught you do X,Y,Z during one of our routine maintenances tests"... how do you, as a driver, know that was a bona fide test and that they are only doing 80 a week?

As for illegal, it's only illegal if you can prove it... driver: "they're spying on us" company: "no it was during one of our lawful maintenance tests" ... you think a company doesn't cover it's arse, Did your company write into it's policy that any infraction caught/viewed on camera during "tests" would not be used for disciplinary action... I'll bet the answer to that is NO.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”