I know this topic is one that divides opinion, just wanting to get an idea if the sort of companies that have

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
youndo

I know this topic is one that divides opinion, just wanting to get an idea if the sort of companies that have

Post by youndo »

I know this topic is one that divides opinion, just wanting to get an idea if the sort of companies that have internal cameras in the cabs. I work for a very small general haulage company who are now looking at putting them in.
If you have them, how big is the company and what procedures are in place to follow the rules around monitoring, GDPR etc.
Thanks
whitech

Re: I know this topic is one that divides opinion, just wanting to get an idea if the sort of companies that have

Post by whitech »

I drive for a fairly big company, we have them since 2021, you forget they are there, can be monitored while driving and recordings downloaded, they also turn off about 40 minutes after ignition is off
SarFarer

Re: I know this topic is one that divides opinion, just wanting to get an idea if the sort of companies that have

Post by SarFarer »

whitech wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:04 pm I drive for a fairly big company, we have them since 2021, you forget they are there, can be monitored while driving and recordings downloaded, they also turn off about 40 minutes after ignition is off
we can turn them off when parked up by entering a code
zwagerev_316

Post by zwagerev_316 »

whitech wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:04 pm I drive for a fairly big company, we have them since 2021, you forget they are there, can be monitored while driving and recordings downloaded, they also turn off about 40 minutes after ignition is off
40 minutes?! So it’s recording practically your whole 45 break 😳 ours switch off 1 minute after ignition is off!
whitech

Post by whitech »

zwagerev_316 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:05 pm
40 minutes?! So it’s recording practically your whole 45 break 😳 ours switch off 1 minute after ignition is off!
yep, never really bothered me, if I have break in works canteen I'm on camera
zwagerev_316

Post by zwagerev_316 »

whitech wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:05 pm
zwagerev_316 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:05 pm
yep, never really bothered me, if I have break in works canteen I'm on camera
yea our canteen is the same. Just feels a bit more intrusive to be on cam in the cab when on break…
thabbLeryza

Post by thabbLeryza »

So if I have a w**k while having a 30min break, the camera will record the whole thing? 😂
whitech

Post by whitech »

thabbLeryza wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 pm
So if I have a w**k while having a 30min break, the camera will record the whole thing? 😂
probably but do it in your truck not mine
thabbLeryza

Post by thabbLeryza »

whitech wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 pm
thabbLeryza wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 pm
probably but do it in your truck not mine
I can't promise that, if it needs to come out, it comes out 😉
aveerav

Post by aveerav »

We have them our company has approx 500 drivers . A lot of people get sacked over them but it’s usually because they have broken mobile phone policy in cab cameras have different subscriptions available . Which can show how much they record on inside or outside vehicle . The only real gdpr criteria is they shouldn’t show other drivers your videos without asking you first . It will be sold to you as a protection for yourself if something happens that wasn’t your fault but others see it as anything to catch a driver doing something wrong . The ones we use record data of how you drive ( braking , accelerating etc ) drivers also get penalised by companies for speeding as they have a geotag on any activations .
iannter400

Post by iannter400 »

aveerav wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:12 pm We have them our company has approx 500 drivers . A lot of people get sacked over them but it’s usually because they have broken mobile phone policy in cab cameras have different subscriptions available . Which can show how much they record on inside or outside vehicle . The only real gdpr criteria is they shouldn’t show other drivers your videos without asking you first . It will be sold to you as a protection for yourself if something happens that wasn’t your fault but others see it as anything to catch a driver doing something wrong . The ones we use record data of how you drive ( braking , accelerating etc ) drivers also get penalised by companies for speeding as they have a geotag on any activations .
Hi. Hope your well..
How's Cov?
aveerav

Post by aveerav »

iannter400 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:13 pm
aveerav wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:12 pm We have them our company has approx 500 drivers . A lot of people get sacked over them but it’s usually because they have broken mobile phone policy in cab cameras have different subscriptions available . Which can show how much they record on inside or outside vehicle . The only real gdpr criteria is they shouldn’t show other drivers your videos without asking you first . It will be sold to you as a protection for yourself if something happens that wasn’t your fault but others see it as anything to catch a driver doing something wrong . The ones we use record data of how you drive ( braking , accelerating etc ) drivers also get penalised by companies for speeding as they have a geotag on any activations .
Hi. Hope your well..
How's Cov?
hi mate all good how’s you?
SarFarer

Post by SarFarer »

We have cameras in. They only record if something triggers the sensors like slamming the brakes on which is fun with adaptive cruise control. Just remember not to pick your nose or touch your phone. The cameras actually have kept me my job after I clipped a land Rover that was parked on a junction because I clearly used my mirrors before turning
Joh8nQuey

Post by Joh8nQuey »

SarFarer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:16 pm We have cameras in. They only record if something triggers the sensors like slamming the brakes on which is fun with adaptive cruise control. Just remember not to pick your nose or touch your phone. The cameras actually have kept me my job after I clipped a land Rover that was parked on a junction because I clearly used my mirrors before turning
you still hit a parked car, mirrors or not
SarFarer

Post by SarFarer »

Joh8nQuey wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:17 pm
SarFarer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:16 pm We have cameras in. They only record if something triggers the sensors like slamming the brakes on which is fun with adaptive cruise control. Just remember not to pick your nose or touch your phone. The cameras actually have kept me my job after I clipped a land Rover that was parked on a junction because I clearly used my mirrors before turning
I turned and clipped it with the end of my trailer. Had the car not been parked opposite the junction there wouldn't have been an issue. There are parking laws for a reason
Joh8nQuey

Post by Joh8nQuey »

SarFarer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:17 pm
I turned and clipped it with the end of my trailer. Had the car not been parked opposite the junction there wouldn't have been an issue. There are parking laws for a reason
still the drivers fault for hitting the parked car
SarFarer

Post by SarFarer »

whatever. Have a fantastic evening
Joh8nQuey

Post by Joh8nQuey »

SarFarer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:18 pm

no seriously, if you hit a parked vehicle even if its parked illegally it’s your fault.
SarFarer

Post by SarFarer »

Joh8nQuey wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:18 pm

no seriously, if you hit a parked vehicle even if its parked illegally it’s your fault.
well two wrongs don't make a right. I once was stuck in a housing estate because of illegally parked cars so I had to phone the police. Officer turned up and tried to get people to move their cars like I had already tried to do. They refused, I got told what cars to hit going out, luckily was an old ERF so no damage to the lorry. Like I said have a good night
SteveMans

Post by SteveMans »

SarFarer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:19 pm

well two wrongs don't make a right. I once was stuck in a housing estate because of illegally parked cars so I had to phone the police. Officer turned up and tried to get people to move their cars like I had already tried to do. They refused, I got told what cars to hit going out, luckily was an old ERF so no damage to the lorry. Like I said have a good night
mmm women drivers 🤔🤔 only joking sorry but I just couldn't help myself 😁😁
SteveMans

Post by SteveMans »

old ERF well that says something for you half the blokes on here wouldn't be able to go around the corner coz they wouldn't know what the 3rd pedal is for.
SarFarer

Post by SarFarer »

SteveMans wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:19 pm

mmm women drivers 🤔🤔 only joking sorry but I just couldn't help myself 😁😁
it's fine, I can take a joke but not a pretentious trying to be clever
SarFarer

Post by SarFarer »

SteveMans wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:20 pm

old ERF well that says something for you half the blokes on here wouldn't be able to go around the corner coz they wouldn't know what the 3rd pedal is for.
I have taught men to drive an Eaton twin split in an ERF
duncami.Dj

Post by duncami.Dj »

SarFarer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:21 pm
SteveMans wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:20 pm

I have taught men to drive an Eaton twin split in an ERF
good old box not many can drive them float the box
Ward.Major

Post by Ward.Major »

she knows that. What's your point?
kylett

Post by kylett »

Worked for a green company that had them, drivers would been told to put both hands on steering wheels! I would physically watch them using them just to see where drivers were! They can be abused and will be abused if they don’t like you 😂
keview

Post by keview »

They aren't allowed to just log in and start watching you, they can only view it if you have an accident or road rage, damage done to it when loading or parked or a complaint from a member of the public etc. Ours keep recording the dash and outside ones for 30 minutes after ignition off but the internal one goes off straight away with ignition. GDPR rules should be followed on privacy and normally not record audio but if they do then they need your consent. Don't worry about them cos they can help you out in an accident or if someone tries complaining about you and work can stick up for you
peteGuy

Post by peteGuy »

keview wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:25 pm They aren't allowed to just log in and start watching you, they can only view it if you have an accident or road rage, damage done to it when loading or parked or a complaint from a member of the public etc. Ours keep recording the dash and outside ones for 30 minutes after ignition off but the internal one goes off straight away with ignition. GDPR rules should be followed on privacy and normally not record audio but if they do then they need your consent. Don't worry about them cos they can help you out in an accident or if someone tries complaining about you and work can stick up for you
That’s what the last company I worked for that had them fitted said, in reality the TM was constantly snooping around, viewing them as she pleased to see if she could catch the drivers out.
She called me asking why I was laying on the bunk in the middle of a break once.
The one time I asked her to view them due to abuse from a member of the public, she refused and wasn’t interested.
Some employers are narcissistic control freaks who will happily bend or completely ignore the rules as they please, these things are a micromanagers wet dream. Far too easy to abuse them in my experience.
alles1625

Post by alles1625 »

keview wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:25 pm They aren't allowed to just log in and start watching you, they can only view it if you have an accident or road rage, damage done to it when loading or parked or a complaint from a member of the public etc. Ours keep recording the dash and outside ones for 30 minutes after ignition off but the internal one goes off straight away with ignition. GDPR rules should be followed on privacy and normally not record audio but if they do then they need your consent. Don't worry about them cos they can help you out in an accident or if someone tries complaining about you and work can stick up for you
a company i worked for in 2016 didn't have cameras but l later found out they had trackers fitted. one night i had very little sleep due to a fridge parked beside with one of the older type engines where it would start up very loudly every now and again and also drivers doing trailer swaps next to me.
later on that day i was shattered and had to keep stopping every 60-90mins and have a 10min power nap. the office were on the phone to me pretty quick every time i stopped asking me how i was getting on. i told them about my lack of sleep and that i was shattered and he just told me i need to get to my drop asap
i was telling another one of our drivers the next day and thats when i found out they had trackers fitted and he said they'll have been spying on me and wondering why i was keep stopping and that why they were ringing me every time i stopped
WarmTop

Post by WarmTop »

Just do a subject access request for every cctv recording for every day you work if you dont like your employer. If employers fail to provide footage they are breaking the law and ICO can take action. You can do a subject access request for any information held about you including images by an organisation.
Marn-Xtelle

Post by Marn-Xtelle »

WarmTop wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:27 pm Just do a subject access request for every cctv recording for every day you work if you dont like your employer. If employers fail to provide footage they are breaking the law and ICO can take action. You can do a subject access request for any information held about you including images by an organisation.
I'm curious if anybody has actually done this for footage
WarmTop

Post by WarmTop »

Marn-Xtelle wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:27 pm
WarmTop wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:27 pm Just do a subject access request for every cctv recording for every day you work if you dont like your employer. If employers fail to provide footage they are breaking the law and ICO can take action. You can do a subject access request for any information held about you including images by an organisation.
I'm curious if anybody has actually done this for footage
I have no idea if any drivers have done it but people do SARs all the time. So many organisations are clueless about it as well.
PhilZil

Post by PhilZil »

They have a right to refuse in this instance, sorry but your talking sh*te!
WarmTop

Post by WarmTop »

PhilZil wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:29 pm
how so? -
"You can only refuse to provide the information if an exemption or restriction applies, or if the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive"
"When can we refuse to comply with a request?
Where an exemption applies, you may refuse to provide all or some of the requested information, depending on the circumstances. You can also refuse to comply with a SAR if it is manifestly unfounded or manifestly excessive. Our detailed guidance explains the factors you should consider in determining whether a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive.
If you refuse to comply with a request, you must inform the individual of:
the reasons why;
their right to make a complaint to the ICO or another supervisory authority; and
their ability to seek to enforce this right through the courts."
PhilZil

Post by PhilZil »

WarmTop wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:29 pm
how so? -
"You can only refuse to provide the information if an exemption or restriction applies, or if the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive"
Where an exemption applies, you may refuse to provide all or some of the requested information, depending on the circumstances. You can also refuse to comply with a SAR if it is manifestly unfounded or manifestly excessive. Our detailed guidance explains the factors you should consider in determining whether a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive.
the reasons why;
their right to make a complaint to the ICO or another supervisory authority; and
It’s right there in the quote you’ve copied and pasted 😂😂😂
WarmTop

Post by WarmTop »

PhilZil wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:30 pm

how so? -
the reasons why;
how so? I think you need to read the full guidance.🤭 if I requested cctv footage of myself and didn't get it then ICO would be contacted who would force the organisation to provide it.
PhilZil

Post by PhilZil »

WarmTop wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:31 pm

how so? -
the reasons why;
how so? I think you need to read the full guidance.🤭 if I requested cctv footage of myself and didn't get it then ICO would be contacted who would force the organisation to provide it.
If you request it excessively just to be a pain in the arse then they have a right to refuse 👍
PhilZil

Post by PhilZil »

how so? -
the reasons why;
I am a data controller btw.
WarmTop

Post by WarmTop »

PhilZil wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:31 pm

correct which is why a strong valid reason is found to request all footage. For example if I (god forbid) worked at a 3PL company that had a reputation for disciplinary action for the most trivial things then I would be very interested in obtaining all data held on myself including images particularly if it resulted in an employment tribunal.
PhilZil

Post by PhilZil »

WarmTop wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:32 pm

correct which is why a strong valid reason is found to request all footage. For example if I (god forbid) worked at a 3PL company that had a reputation for disciplinary action for the most trivial things then I would be very interested in obtaining all data held on myself including images particularly if it resulted in an employment tribunal.
That’s different to what you posted! You suggested doing it on purpose to piss off the company “if you do not like your employer”
WarmTop

Post by WarmTop »

PhilZil wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:33 pm
WarmTop wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:32 pm

That’s different to what you posted! You suggested doing it on purpose to piss off the company “if you do not like your employer”
well yes if you don't like your employer, eg if I worked at a tit for tat employer like the example I used that has a huge turnover of staff I would do it back. If SARs fail there is always H&S and employment law to look at as well.
bulleid.ko

Post by bulleid.ko »

Welcome to the UK where we don't want you to work but cry out for a driver shortage.
JohnCon

Post by JohnCon »

Just cut a circle of black tape and put it over the lense
DrianTyrion

Post by DrianTyrion »

I would leave my current job if they put cameras in.
andrus_tech

Post by andrus_tech »

I wish we had cameras in the lorries maybe it would stop some of the cancer stick suckers from infecting the inside of the lorries, as I don’t particularly feel like sitting in their stench of what is nothing short of a disgusting disgraceful habit
spiroo_we

Post by spiroo_we »

I work for a heavy haulage firm with 9 drivers. We got them put in.....none of us were happy. Boss said he wasn't interested in any of the footage unless we were involved in an incident.....then one day he found out that the company that put them in could access them remotely at any point of the day......the very next day they were all removed from the cabs. He said that it wasn't right that we were being spied on and told the insurance company that they were all coming out.
youndo

Post by youndo »

spiroo_we wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:43 pm I work for a heavy haulage firm with 9 drivers. We got them put in.....none of us were happy. Boss said he wasn't interested in any of the footage unless we were involved in an incident.....then one day he found out that the company that put them in could access them remotely at any point of the day......the very next day they were all removed from the cabs. He said that it wasn't right that we were being spied on and told the insurance company that they were all coming out.
exactly the sort of shit that pisses people off is abuse of this technology!!
Thanks that's helpful stuff
PAULLICHO

Post by PAULLICHO »

spiroo_we wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:43 pm I work for a heavy haulage firm with 9 drivers. We got them put in.....none of us were happy. Boss said he wasn't interested in any of the footage unless we were involved in an incident.....then one day he found out that the company that put them in could access them remotely at any point of the day......the very next day they were all removed from the cabs. He said that it wasn't right that we were being spied on and told the insurance company that they were all coming out.
No offence…
But I’d want a little more info before I believe this bullsh*t..
Feel free to enlighten everyone…
Tell your Boss…
🤣🤣
I’ll wait… 👍🏼👍🏼
PAULLICHO

Post by PAULLICHO »

I have to carry on with this…
On “One random day” Billy pulled my pants off and bummed me on the grassy hill…
What “story” would you like us to believe???
spiroo_we

Post by spiroo_we »

PAULLICHO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:44 pm
No offence…
Tell your Boss…
🤣🤣
I’ll wait… 👍🏼👍🏼
you'll be waiting a while. Believe it or not I don't care. I was just telling the man my experience.
Kerrist

Post by Kerrist »

spiroo_we wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:45 pm
PAULLICHO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:44 pm
No offence…
Tell your Boss…
🤣🤣
I’ll wait… 👍🏼👍🏼
you'll be waiting a while. Believe it or not I don't care. I was just telling the man my experience.
the cynical ones in life will never believe you whatever you say 👍
KirkSynchro

Post by KirkSynchro »

Soon to be former employer has fitted them. Zero consultation with drivers. Cameras are abused, zero GDPR processes followed. Sacked if you touch them, sacked if you don't tell them they're damaged.
youndo

Post by youndo »

KirkSynchro wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:48 pm Soon to be former employer has fitted them. Zero consultation with drivers. Cameras are abused, zero GDPR processes followed. Sacked if you touch them, sacked if you don't tell them they're damaged.
best of luck finding a new place, ours aren't in yet but that's what I will be doing!
wayp7ros

Post by wayp7ros »

Mate…
Theirs drivers that try and turn an artic round on a single A road…
That’s why their there for🤷‍♂️🙆
Only takes one to ruin the experience,
Find a company that gives you your work for the day and leaves you to it…
Few and far between I know👍
actoner

Post by actoner »

Just make sure you sing loudly, and very badly to the radio, sooner or later they might not watch you.
Sadly the days of been out on the road alone are gone, technology means that company can monitor remotely if they wish, and as long as they in writing tell you when and why you are being monitored they can do it, anything that is remotely viewable, having in cab cameras, that can only be physically accessed within the cab in case of accidents very few can make a legit argument with
HarZest

Post by HarZest »

We have them fitted and the office spy on you all day, ask them why and they deny it
Walls+HEX

Post by Walls+HEX »

HarZest wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm We have them fitted and the office spy on you all day, ask them why and they deny it
I personally find them intrusive’ especially when eating a Cornish pastie’ oh for the old days. 👍
HarZest

Post by HarZest »

Walls+HEX wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:52 pm
HarZest wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm We have them fitted and the office spy on you all day, ask them why and they deny it
I personally find them intrusive’ especially when eating a Cornish pastie’ oh for the old days. 👍
we were promised that they were for insurance purposes only, within 3 months of them being fitted they are used purely for spying on you
peteGuy

Post by peteGuy »

I’ve worked for a company that had them fitted and told drivers they would only be viewed In the event of an accident, in reality the TM would make up excuses to use them to have a nosey at what she could catch the drivers doing, once she phoned me when I was on a break to ask why I was laying on the bunk.
Don’t think I’d work for another company that has them.
The office staff wouldn’t tolerate a CCTV camera being pointed specifically at them for the duration of their shift, including breaks and a portion of their daily rest, potentially being used to critique their every move by someone who most likely couldn’t even do what they do.
7charles

Post by 7charles »

peteGuy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:53 pm I’ve worked for a company that had them fitted and told drivers they would only be viewed In the event of an accident, in reality the TM would make up excuses to use them to have a nosey at what she could catch the drivers doing, once she phoned me when I was on a break to ask why I was laying on the bunk.
Don’t think I’d work for another company that has them.
The office staff wouldn’t tolerate a CCTV camera being pointed specifically at them for the duration of their shift, including breaks and a portion of their daily rest, potentially being used to critique their every move by someone who most likely couldn’t even do what they do.
next time b on bunk naked she won’t look again
Rhob2362

Post by Rhob2362 »

My mate has one in and it feeds back to depot and he gets calls if he's distracted 🙄 like looking at a pair of tits in the car next to him or for harsh breaking, steering etc. End of the day they will do what they want to do its up to you if you put up with it. You can leave but there's always someone willing to do the job same with pay, conditions and treatment.
Rhob2362

Post by Rhob2362 »

I'd have a w**k and keep full on eye contact 🤣
newHonda

Post by newHonda »

They are only used in a investigation of a accident no one is spying on you
Marrifino

Post by Marrifino »

newHonda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 pm They are only used in a investigation of a accident no one is spying on you
not true the Ai ones now snap shot you if your not in a certain position, the clip is then sent to the office. If you caught touching your phone your sacked 3 drivers invited to hand in there notice / sacked this year. All these drivers who think they only look at footage after an accident are living in a dream world.
PAULLICHO

Post by PAULLICHO »

What size Company, has anything to do with it?
For insurance purposes, it brings the price down…
It’s not there to watch you play with your peewee…
It’s there to save your licence when some ț**ț cuts you up..
Forward camera takes its video and the “cab camera” makes sure you’re not on your phone, or generally, not paying attention…
If you’re doing nothing wrong, it’s on your side…
👍🏼👍🏼
LindKino

Post by LindKino »

I have them on board and work in a big company. At the end of the day, these Camera's do more good then harm. They cover you in an accident if your not at fault, yes they also will show you were at fault if you were. They encourage better driving by making the driver think about not using his phone or doing other things while driving that we shouldn't be doing. If it cuts down on accidents on the road and can prove us professional driver were not at fault, it can save lives and licences.
harr+sndco

Post by harr+sndco »

Don't believe it they always spy as I've found out
Rossitch

Post by Rossitch »

They were gonna fit them at ours but someone did some digging, told them they were an invasion of our privacy & they were never fitted
GaarWizard

Post by GaarWizard »

The rules for me are get a coat and hang it over the front or drive it yourself.
11andystandee

Post by 11andystandee »

GaarWizard wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:05 pm The rules for me are get a coat and hang it over the front or drive it yourself.
as you don't want to get caught knocking 1 out again...🤣
GaarWizard

Post by GaarWizard »

11andystandee wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:06 pm
GaarWizard wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:05 pm The rules for me are get a coat and hang it over the front or drive it yourself.
as you don't want to get caught knocking 1 out again...🤣
you won't with your macdonalds chip....
iaiRoach

Post by iaiRoach »

Had them for years they're really not interested in sitting watching a driver drive 🤣🤣 covers your arse in an accident and many others events that occur.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”