Hi guys, I passed my class 2 in January. I have contacted a few agencies not really forthcoming with jobs this I can

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
256conneland

Hi guys, I passed my class 2 in January. I have contacted a few agencies not really forthcoming with jobs this I can

Post by 256conneland »

Hi guys, I passed my class 2 in January. I have contacted a few agencies, not really forthcoming with jobs, this I can understand. Quiet time of the year and what not. Agencies/employers seeing new passes as a risk. Therefore I am wondering how did people get started with this lark. I was hoping to build up experience on class 2 then move to class 1. I cant afford to leave my current full time job due to household costs and what not. I am based in Durham and looking for a ideally a full time role that is willing to take on new passes. I am aware of Craig Dawson. But so far nothing. Full CPC and have driver card. Any pointers welcome. This is completely new to me 10years in a call centre and office based roles. Now I am wanting a change.
I am aware of the don't bother brigade but hey ho live and let live and all that jazz.
Legge-Laxr

Re: Hi guys, I passed my class 2 in January. I have contacted a few agencies not really forthcoming with jobs this I can

Post by Legge-Laxr »

Hi, I struggled with the same thing mate, easiest way in sadly is heavy multidrop firms, they will normally take you on, the brakes brothers of the world etc.,
way.netton

Re: Hi guys, I passed my class 2 in January. I have contacted a few agencies not really forthcoming with jobs this I can

Post by way.netton »

I started with a removal company sh*t job but got experience
ChrChroma

Post by ChrChroma »

Try a volumetric concrete firm. Sure up there there's a place called sawyers or Sanders. Them kind of places take new drivers on and I believe it ain't bad money too
paulomeeg240

Post by paulomeeg240 »

Just hand your CV into everywhere.
Ramage are always taking on drivers, they seem to be the stepping stone In the northeast
Anderco_Sky

Post by Anderco_Sky »

Hi mate, Is your goal class 1 tramping in the near future?
harrieeXMC

Post by harrieeXMC »

Anderco_Sky wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:48 pm Hi mate, Is your goal class 1 tramping in the near future?
why do you care his not had class 2 for more than 3 months you gonna rub the magic lamp
Anderco_Sky

Post by Anderco_Sky »

harrieeXMC wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:50 pm
Anderco_Sky wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:48 pm Hi mate, Is your goal class 1 tramping in the near future?
why do you care his not had class 2 for more than 3 months you gonna rub the magic lamp
not sure what your on about there pal, I did my class 2 and 1 back to back jumped straight into a job with a well known haulage firm and been there 2 years now all dandy earning £620-£640 a week
Joey-Doughy

Post by Joey-Doughy »

Anderco_Sky wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:51 pm
harrieeXMC wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:50 pm
not sure what your on about there pal, I did my class 2 and 1 back to back jumped straight into a job with a well known haulage firm and been there 2 years now all dandy earning £620-£640 a week
ha ha you tell them mate!
A2.Albrecso

Post by A2.Albrecso »

If you are really having problems, try an exhibition company, it might mean you spending a lot of time away from home but you will get a lot of experience and most of them pay really good money. I worked for a show company for 3 years before coming here and I will be honest, it was a really amazing time.
vantino_241

Post by vantino_241 »

A2.Albrecso wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:52 pm If you are really having problems, try an exhibition company, it might mean you spending a lot of time away from home but you will get a lot of experience and most of them pay really good money. I worked for a show company for 3 years before coming here and I will be honest, it was a really amazing time.
lot of the exhibition cos are after 2 years &25+ for instance ( the 1 i work 4 that's criteria now). Although they are taking on casual/ extra drivers for summer, got 60 + wagons going to Europe + all UK work!
TONYONNCE

Post by TONYONNCE »

Thompson of Prudhoe.. O briens. Demolition company's
clivers+elite

Post by clivers+elite »

I'm on 7.5 ton for experience at min even though i've got class 1 and 2! The wage and hrs suits me so I've stuck with it. Have all being well got a class 2 job lined up for August. The two yrs 7.5 multi drop in London has been a good learning curve and well looked upon by employers.
McCuello

Post by McCuello »

Look for local XPO depot, they do Night Network contracts and take newpasses on. Best wishes
ingg4bridd

Post by ingg4bridd »

Look at the unglamorous job's that no one want's, jobs like skip wagons, shit tankers etc.
HuntConfront

Post by HuntConfront »

If you live near Rugby, Avonmouth, Castle Donnington, Haydock, Castleford - try Malcolms.. They trained me with a driver assessor for a couple of weeks as a new pass, straight into class one
Nickk-Tweet

Post by Nickk-Tweet »

I feel your pain dude. I'm struggling too! I'm signing up to Backline agency tomorrow. Theres plenty of jobs in my area they just wont take me on! Good luck
256conneland

Post by 256conneland »

Nickk-Tweet wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:56 pm I feel your pain dude. I'm struggling too! I'm signing up to Backline agency tomorrow. Theres plenty of jobs in my area they just wont take me on! Good luck
yeah its like i ring agencies and state what am after and its almost like i can hear them attempt to say thank you for the interest but no thanks. Its just narked me earlier today
Nickk-Tweet

Post by Nickk-Tweet »

256conneland wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:57 pm
Nickk-Tweet wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:56 pm I feel your pain dude. I'm struggling too! I'm signing up to Backline agency tomorrow. Theres plenty of jobs in my area they just wont take me on! Good luck
yeah its like i ring agencies and state what am after and its almost like i can hear them attempt to say thank you for the interest but no thanks. Its just narked me earlier today
only people I've had get back to me is this agency I'm going to tomorrow and the council... Over going on the bins! That seems to be a common thing for new drivers.
256conneland

Post by 256conneland »

Nickk-Tweet wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:58 pm
only people I've had get back to me is this agency I'm going to tomorrow and the council... Over going on the bins! That seems to be a common thing for new drivers.
funny thing is im already working with Durham Council in clerical stuff.
ashonne.242

Post by ashonne.242 »

256conneland wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:58 pm

I passed in September and got a job with a multi drop food supplier in October, it'll happen just look on indeed or other job sites.
PledBlogger

Post by PledBlogger »

256conneland wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:58 pm

i went to preempts and they had me working straight away as a new pass but i did do a 1 day course with there driving academy but that was weeks after i started with them. And i stayed with them for over a year till i done my class 1 then went to work for my mate
glyumenRG

Post by glyumenRG »

What about fowler welsh ay Washington or greggs in gosforth or coop at birtley( thsts where i started at coop blaydon)
256conneland

Post by 256conneland »

glyumenRG wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:00 pm What about fowler welsh ay Washington or greggs in gosforth or coop at birtley( thsts where i started at coop blaydon)
attempted fowler welch they stated no vacancies keep looking. Co op i thought was promise but agency cant remember what one referred again to experience.
glyumenRG

Post by glyumenRG »

256conneland wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:00 pm
glyumenRG wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:00 pm What about fowler welsh ay Washington or greggs in gosforth or coop at birtley( thsts where i started at coop blaydon)
attempted fowler welch they stated no vacancies keep looking. Co op i thought was promise but agency cant remember what one referred again to experience.
phone coop direct & speak to some 1( if i remember gaffers name il send it).
Have u tried lanchester dairy they run loads of class 2 inc milk tanks.
256conneland

Post by 256conneland »

glyumenRG wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:00 pm
256conneland wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:00 pm
phone coop direct & speak to some 1( if i remember gaffers name il send it).
Have u tried lanchester dairy they run loads of class 2 inc milk tanks.
cheers mate cant say i have tried lanchester dairy. Looking on there website now.
Living_Runn

Post by Living_Runn »

Get some extra training. Like moffett, HIAB etc. It’s makes you more ‘employable’
kenumenPh

Post by kenumenPh »

Try tipper work easy work and they tend to take anybody on
256conneland

Post by 256conneland »

kenumenPh wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:01 pm Try tipper work easy work and they tend to take anybody on
thought that loads need epic card and 2+ exp
North east tippers
oakequi243

Post by oakequi243 »

Tried your local skip companys ?
damiDamfool

Post by damiDamfool »

Go and give out cvs in person to your local hauliers.
ricchMUCH

Post by ricchMUCH »

Give drivers direct a ring they will have something for you.
YeattRight

Post by YeattRight »

Mate I’ve been working for a agency since August, it’s not that bad tbh mate I’m gonna be looking for a individual company soon, but just go agency to get the experience
256conneland

Post by 256conneland »

thank you all got a few more ideas and going to call a few tomorrow. its just a bit crap when agencies give you the thank you but no thank you speech
gezzCurious

Post by gezzCurious »

You could try Stan Robinson in Darlington?!
milling1ee

Post by milling1ee »

Take a day out & go round some little industrial estates around you or look in your local fone book for small transport companies & go door knocking 👍 good luck 👍
PaddBuzz

Post by PaddBuzz »

Get yourself a class 1 Pal, you will have more chances to find a job, and less hassle and freaken no handballing etc
256conneland

Post by 256conneland »

PaddBuzz wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:07 pm Get yourself a class 1 Pal, you will have more chances to find a job, and less hassle and freaken no handballing etc
thats my plan but £££ and wanted to get exp doing class 2. Thought i had assesment for class 2 but when got confirmation email it was for class 1.
PaddBuzz

Post by PaddBuzz »

256conneland wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:08 pm
PaddBuzz wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:07 pm Get yourself a class 1 Pal, you will have more chances to find a job, and less hassle and freaken no handballing etc
thats my plan but £££ and wanted to get exp doing class 2. Thought i had assesment for class 2 but when got confirmation email it was for class 1.
why don't you take a 0% credit loan and pay it back in 24 months or 36 months, Halifax does it and that's how I did it.
edge2anna

Post by edge2anna »

Get on a few agencies at the same time. What I find is people who use agency a lot tend to prefer the same faces, so just keep at it. Quite often you'll be asked if you want a job.
JUXIOUSS

Post by JUXIOUSS »

Give Tesco’s a call.they hire new drivers
245-cuffonetin

Post by 245-cuffonetin »

Driver Hire in Darlington takes on new passes. Speak to Lisa.
olleary249

Post by olleary249 »

I agree with some comments about going class one.
I had class two for 2 years and class one for just over a year but want actually working as a driver. When I changed career, I registered with a couple of agencies and managed to get only a few days on class one (great refresher) before landing a full time class one job.
Mind you, I got that job by emailing some haulage companies directly directly.
Prior to agency though, I arranged some work experience with a company where I did a week or two for free just to gain a little more experience. That was class two but gave me something to put on my cv.
Just Google haulage companies in your area and email them/ call them directly, send a covering letter, sell yourself as a decent, hard-working, loyal person who is keen to learn and if invited for a chat, put on a shirt and tie and get yourself down there.
Good luck mate
I love my new job.
GraBroadcast

Post by GraBroadcast »

Just get the class 1 mate don't get stick just with class 2 .
With class 1 u will find work
kenn1rintt

Post by kenn1rintt »

Try skip or tipper company’s they always take on new passers .
BaBarleyne

Post by BaBarleyne »

Put a "ski" at the end of your name the flip flops seem to have no bother getting a start without experience
PhPauimpo

Post by PhPauimpo »

I did the same, passed in January kept looking on all the job sites and applied for loads of class 2. Started at Minster (Jewsons) a couple of weeks ago. Use your customer service skills as well.
Good luck hopefully something will come along very soon
robert2nss

Post by robert2nss »

You’re doing it the right way fella, started on agency class 2 for two years then did class 1. Keep at it, someone will give you a start, good chance next week as it’s half term 👍🏻
AAronewso

Post by AAronewso »

The day I finished my cpc and could drive, went and signed up with drivers direct. They rang me a couple of hours later with work the next day so I sent an email quitting my warehouse job with immediate effect and went driving. After about a month I started working full time with a builders merchants. I turned down 3 jobs before starting at buildbase, I don't believe it's difficult to get a job as a new starter just keep trying mate
euannertUp

Post by euannertUp »

Bookers will always want drivers, and even if you don't have the 2 years experience they put u through an assessment, basic enough. Back braking work tho!
Cox.Talented

Post by Cox.Talented »

Go to someone local to you.. Explain and go out with someone till their happy to chuck you out on yr own.. Usually plenty of multi drop stuff arpund to get experience..i double manned on livestock box on distance and across water..
vladmind251

Post by vladmind251 »

I have class 2 skip & hook lorry work in midlands full & part time
Wallium_Wzy

Post by Wallium_Wzy »

I started out at Tuffnells it was a grim 18 months but finally made my way on to tankers
lowee44me

Post by lowee44me »

If it’s still the same as when I started take anything you can get your hands on, I considered it miles under my belt then work your way up from there...good luck your in for some fun and interesting times 🤪
DoneeDaniell

Post by DoneeDaniell »

Stay positive bud . Some one will give you a break mate
garee+perqu

Post by garee+perqu »

Hi, We specialize in newly qualified drivers, please leave us your details on
https://www.hgvrecruitmentcentre.co.uk/
256conneland

Post by 256conneland »

garee+perqu wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:23 pm Hi, We specialize in newly qualified drivers, please leave us your details on
thank you ive just got from work but ill have a look soon
256conneland

Post by 256conneland »

garee+perqu wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:23 pm Hi, We specialize in newly qualified drivers, please leave us your details on
Thanks
bagsXcaptain

Post by bagsXcaptain »

The best experience you can get I think is on the Tippers normally around 5/600 a week
Good Experience and gives you experience with diff locks and driving on different surfaces and it's a laugh of our get on a good firm
SidUnderbid

Post by SidUnderbid »

Try recovery work
Not a great job but gets you your experience
prophecyPETE

Post by prophecyPETE »

That's the key, take crap job that has class 2 and I, build experience then move to driving job you would like, I've been bounced round the country doing class 2 and 1 work on a crap wage for a while, but the experience eventually landed me a decent job in class 2, that pays as good as class 1. There are people out there that will take you on, just keep looking and knocking on doors.
LOVENATE

Post by LOVENATE »

That's right take the crap jobs to start with then in time you will realize that every other job you take is just more crap, then go for your class 1 get some experience with all the crap work that is offered to you, this will prepare you for a lifetime of crap companies, crap pay and conditions and nothing but crap on the roads as driving an HGV in the uk is utter crap, the industry is diminishing and finished beyond repair

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”