So I applied for a Class 2 job in my city for DHL a couple of weeks ago, only 9 minutes away from my house and was

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
ReeVelynm

Re: So I applied for a Class 2 job in my city for DHL a couple of weeks ago, only 9 minutes away from my house and was

Post by ReeVelynm »

You’ll be right, who wants to drives a bright yellow minion looking sh*tbox
attenSSubject

Re: So I applied for a Class 2 job in my city for DHL a couple of weeks ago, only 9 minutes away from my house and was

Post by attenSSubject »

Hi Ellisssewo,
When I passed my Class 2 I went to Driver Hire in Stoke On Trent. They took me on and gave me some work so I gained experience that way. When I passed My Class 1 I did exactly the same thing went to an Agency called KPI where again they gave me some work at a local FedEx. I did this in my leave periods so I could still work my full time work.
See if there are agencies around where you live that will take you on. You may have to do some driver assessments depending on the companies they want you to work for but this is still experience gained.
Best of luck buddy.
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

attenSSubject wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:27 pm Hi Ellisssewo,
When I passed my Class 2 I went to Driver Hire in Stoke On Trent. They took me on and gave me some work so I gained experience that way. When I passed My Class 1 I did exactly the same thing went to an Agency called KPI where again they gave me some work at a local FedEx. I did this in my leave periods so I could still work my full time work.
See if there are agencies around where you live that will take you on. You may have to do some driver assessments depending on the companies they want you to work for but this is still experience gained.
Best of luck buddy.
amazing thanks so much!
neeRTocco

Post by neeRTocco »

Tipper companies take on new passes all the time probably cos no one wants to do it
Rhys4mput

Post by Rhys4mput »

Try bidfood/brakes or even Matthew Clark.
Dann-Handyman

Post by Dann-Handyman »

I never had any issue with getting work as a newbie 2 years ago, passed class 2 and same day I had 2 job offers, class 1 the following week I had a class 1 job. People need to get out and go talk to those places not just click apply
Dann-Handyman

Post by Dann-Handyman »

Try sj bargh in Stoke they take on new passes on milk tankers
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

Dann-Handyman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:43 pm Try sj bargh in Stoke they take on new passes on milk tankers
and pay peanuts at the same time
Dann-Handyman

Post by Dann-Handyman »

ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:44 pm
Dann-Handyman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:43 pm Try sj bargh in Stoke they take on new passes on milk tankers
and pay peanuts at the same time
It's a start and it isn't that bad for the work
375.marcopolo

Post by 375.marcopolo »

I was 2 once a bus walker lol and I did find hard a job!!
But don't give up coz sumthing will came along.
I'm in Bournemouth so it's a small place and there's not a lot off class1 jobs so initially had to drive to Amesbury witch is abaut 1h away.
So whatt I'm trying to say is look outside box maybe local ain't gunna take you anywhere maybe further you will be lucky.
Anyway good luck.
StubbyMS

Post by StubbyMS »

Was it vernon road where u applied for hunni… they normally just give you an assessment strange that xx
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

StubbyMS wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:49 pm Was it vernon road where u applied for hunni… they normally just give you an assessment strange that xx
yes lovely it was! In my head I was convinced I would at least be offered an assessment. Gutted to be honest xx
StubbyMS

Post by StubbyMS »

ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:50 pm
StubbyMS wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:49 pm Was it vernon road where u applied for hunni… they normally just give you an assessment strange that xx
yes lovely it was! In my head I was convinced I would at least be offered an assessment. Gutted to be honest xx
yeah i cant understand that i work at vernon road xx
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

StubbyMS wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:50 pm
put in a good word with the bosses for me 😇😂 I’ll keep trying, I see jobs advertised there really quite regularly xx
StubbyMS

Post by StubbyMS »

put in a good word with the bosses for me 😇😂 I’ll keep trying, I see jobs advertised there really quite regularly xx
yeah not many stick it I believe ive not been there long its bloody hard work xx
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

StubbyMS wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:51 pm

yeah not many stick it I believe ive not been there long its bloody hard work xx
I have been told! My best mate does the same work for premier, she said I’d be okay though because I wouldn’t have to pay for a gym membership if I worked there 😂 xx
StubbyMS

Post by StubbyMS »

ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:51 pm
StubbyMS wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:51 pm

I have been told! My best mate does the same work for premier, she said I’d be okay though because I wouldn’t have to pay for a gym membership if I worked there 😂 xx
defo not 🤣🤣🤣 im finding it sound theres loads of training and buddy up days aswell xxx
peeterio404

Post by peeterio404 »

There’s plenty of places will take new drivers it’s just finding them. I had about three different jobs in the space of three months. When I first pass my test you’ll find something good luck with it
Rezz.Repro

Post by Rezz.Repro »

make up work history lots of one man bands out there you could say you have done holiday cover
HolderlyNU

Post by HolderlyNU »

Join an agency, gain experience that way. Good luck in the future.
dwyerry_JO

Post by dwyerry_JO »

You'd jump through less hoops as a circus act in a year than to please their HR department. Solicitors letter is required for any non working period if you've not been claiming benefits.
aa1mandab

Post by aa1mandab »

Try agency work to get your feet in the door
swaintume405

Post by swaintume405 »

It's disheartening and I found myself in a similar position all those years ago when I was a new hgv driver, in the end I looked at companies that had vehicles ranging from 3.5 tonnes to fully articulated. I applied for 7.5 tonne position with the idea that one day one of the class 1 or 2 drivers would call in sick and they would ask my to cover their absence. Exactly that happened and I was the first in line for class one when one of the drivers left. Pay wasn't great, but I stuck that job for two years for the experience on my CV.
JrJassonyx

Post by JrJassonyx »

Apply for local skip company’s, be better pay than bus work.
Slowly work your way up from skip to RoRo or tipper.
Then get on a bulker class 1 shifting waste/recycling.
barlett2V2

Post by barlett2V2 »

Keep trying look at this way that was not meant to be
huurtINEED

Post by huurtINEED »

Your problem is obvious. Too good for that rubbish organization. Something good will turn up
MartKeepup

Post by MartKeepup »

Warburtons are usually pretty good at taken on new passes
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

MartKeepup wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:59 pm Warburtons are usually pretty good at taken on new passes
I keep checking their website but I might give them a call!
oconne4yd

Post by oconne4yd »

Now then mate, yeah it's tough but it will sort itself out.
Go on line, join all the job sites.
Keep on the buses till it gets sorted.
It be rate. Eventually.
Do weekend work, do whatever it takes.
Be honest, it will catch you up if you ain't.
You get your perfect job, then it all goes t sh*t because you got caught out.
Trust in yourself and just keep plugging away at it.
WilsonUnison

Post by WilsonUnison »

Ellisssewo DHL are a bunch of tossers. Keep going you’ll get there.
timPPatronym

Post by timPPatronym »

Try tippers. That’s where I got my first job. Fantastic job and you learn a lot about truck driving. I’d go back to it in a second if it paid more.
KeerstQuick

Post by KeerstQuick »

All been there, not just driving jobs ! Standard reply that for all jobs, be thankful you at least got a reply its the ones that dont reply or let you know that are infuriating.
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

KeerstQuick wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:02 pm All been there, not just driving jobs ! Standard reply that for all jobs, be thankful you at least got a reply its the ones that dont reply or let you know that are infuriating.
oh absolutely. I just think it’s so rude!
HAWKAYTVER

Post by HAWKAYTVER »

That's because if people have applied with experience who would you pick????
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

HAWKAYTVER wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:03 pm That's because if people have applied with experience who would you pick????
depends what frame of mind you have. I understand people with experience can just get up and go, however it’s not all negative for people having no experience. You can train them up and get them to work in exactly the way you want. Bigger companies (on the buses) love new people as they can train them how they want. I’m not used to the other side of this 😂
gregg.jiggy

Post by gregg.jiggy »

I'm in the exact same boat after being on buses for over 19 years.
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

gregg.jiggy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:04 pm I'm in the exact same boat after being on buses for over 19 years.
I’m thinking about just staying if I’m honest. The pay I’m going to have to take to “gain experience” is so low compared to buses now. I can’t bring myself to lose that much money 😅
EEastFleeced

Post by EEastFleeced »

Buses recently had a big pay rise in Wolverhampton area, even I considered going back ,but know working for less in a class 1 😂 but I enjoy class 1 driving, the buses/passengers got on my nerves 😂
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

EEastFleeced wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:05 pm Buses recently had a big pay rise in Wolverhampton area, even I considered going back ,but know working for less in a class 1 😂 but I enjoy class 1 driving, the buses/passengers got on my nerves 😂
were in pay talks currently and we’ve all just voted to take industrial action if we don’t get what we want, so I might just stay on the buses yet 😂 the passengers here are FOUL too. I worked for NX too and somehow it’s worse here 😂
teasDUumbe

Post by teasDUumbe »

I passed class2 no job then passed class1 got a job with eddie stobart been there over a year and a half love it all class1 work. And started with no experience.
Aldouse407

Post by Aldouse407 »

DHL are a ridiculous company trust me you had a lucky escape!
pargee_nine

Post by pargee_nine »

I had this when I first started out. Drove 2hrs to the head office for interview (actual site was near my home) only for them to have never even opened my CV. Asked me to reverse into a bay on a driving assessment. And never even called to arrange said assessment cause he got annoyed I was new.
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

pargee_nine wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:06 pm I had this when I first started out. Drove 2hrs to the head office for interview (actual site was near my home) only for them to have never even opened my CV. Asked me to reverse into a bay on a driving assessment. And never even called to arrange said assessment cause he got annoyed I was new.
that’s so so bad!!!!
WEWelchross

Post by WEWelchross »

Hardly unable to handle the size of vehicle
Probably some young college fresh HR expert that has no idea !!
alshysiREE

Post by alshysiREE »

Look for near by food services near you like brakes, bidfood, booker est most will take on new drivers but it is hard graft but good work experience for sure
StStefanne

Post by StStefanne »

Lucky escape tbh DHL are a horrible employer
VIRDEEDO

Post by VIRDEEDO »

Dhl r out there saying we will train u up join us for a rewarding job speak to top management and tell them what u want
MeMillarch

Post by MeMillarch »

Don't worry about that simply ly find agency likes logistics people staff line and go to work you figure out after
MeMillarch

Post by MeMillarch »

Every body make advice long list i work with agency about 3 years is not to good find a company and enjoy if you liked!
409.popeah

Post by 409.popeah »

I’ve Literally tried everywhere recently and even companies that need drivers don’t respond or if they do it’s just to say unfortunately you have been unsuccessful, think maybe Cumbria is bad for jobs as never had this struggle living down south, it’s getting on my nerves sitting at home wasting days and losing money, last time I struggled to get a job like this was when I lived in Italy.

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”