Can anyone on here possibly help. I have a small business and I tow a cherry picker on a trailer, gross weight 3.25 ton,

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Graha_Phat

Can anyone on here possibly help. I have a small business and I tow a cherry picker on a trailer, gross weight 3.25 ton,

Post by Graha_Phat »

Can anyone on here possibly help.
I have a small business and I tow a cherry picker on a trailer, gross weight 3.25 ton, I normally tow with a pick up, we have a new van coming with a gtw of 7 ton so can also tow with this, my question is do inm need an operators licence and tacho, no one seems to be able to give a definitive, been told I'm exempt as carrying own goods, one TM told me I need to be on tacho and have a restricted operators licence?
Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
ianhilmo

Re: Can anyone on here possibly help. I have a small business and I tow a cherry picker on a trailer, gross weight 3.25

Post by ianhilmo »

As far as I understand it you would need a so called "restricted operators liscense" .
This allows you to carry own goods e.g. not carry other peoples goods for hire or reward.
Its less strict in some EU countries, for example Ireland and a few others, no license needed for own account.
For some reason the UK decided to hobble its own account businesses with a load of extra regulations, even have to meet the same financial standing rules as a licensed haulier.
You would need tacho with combination GVW over 3.5t.
You probably don't need CPC if you are close to base.
Graha_Phat

Re: Can anyone on here possibly help. I have a small business and I tow a cherry picker on a trailer, gross weight 3.25

Post by Graha_Phat »

ianhilmo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:10 pm As far as I understand it you would need a so called "restricted operators liscense" .
This allows you to carry own goods e.g. not carry other peoples goods for hire or reward.
Its less strict in some EU countries, for example Ireland and a few others, no license needed for own account.
For some reason the UK decided to hobble its own account businesses with a load of extra regulations, even have to meet the same financial standing rules as a licensed haulier.
thanks, I'm a class 1 driver and we have a new Sprinter coming, how do we go about if another staff member needs to take the van out, some kind of log book.?
ianhilmo

Post by ianhilmo »

Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:10 pm
ianhilmo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:10 pm As far as I understand it you would need a so called "restricted operators liscense" .
thanks, I'm a class 1 driver and we have a new Sprinter coming, how do we go about if another staff member needs to take the van out, some kind of log book.?
you will need a tacho if the combination of van + trailer is greater than 3.5t
ianhilmo

Post by ianhilmo »

ianhilmo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:11 pm
I am based in Ireland where we don't need license for own account, but I looked at the UK regs because we do a lot of runs into the UK and beyond.
I am also CE driver but I could also be driving C or 3.5t depending on the job.
I obviously have the CPC and digital tacho card etc.
Over here if you are the vehicle owner and you are carrying own goods within 45km of base you don't need CPC. Not sure about the UK.
Its bizzare because I work for my son, the vehicles are registered to him, so he can drive them without CPC but I can't 🙂
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

I am based in Ireland where we don't need license for own account, but I looked at the UK regs because we do a lot of runs into the UK and beyond.
Over here if you are the vehicle owner and you are carrying own goods within 45km of base you don't need CPC. Not sure about the UK.
Its bizzare because I work for my son, the vehicles are registered to him, so he can drive them without CPC but I can't 🙂
similar here but occasionally we get requested to provide a machine and operator over the 66km exemption distance
ianhilmo

Post by ianhilmo »

Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:12 pm

similar here but occasionally we get requested to provide a machine and operator over the 66km exemption distance
If the other drivers are B license and not towing they should set the tacho to out of scope.
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

ianhilmo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:12 pm

If the other drivers are B license and not towing they should set the tacho to out of scope.
thanks Ianhilmo
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:13 pm
ianhilmo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:12 pm

thanks Ianhilmo
how do they know it’s not me setting it as that, do you think I should keep a log book, I’m assuming they don’t have to have a Digicard.?
CharlieWas

Post by CharlieWas »

Yes you need a Tacho. And a restricted op license as it’s your own goods
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

CharlieWas wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:14 pm Yes you need a Tacho. And a restricted op license as it’s your own goods
thanks, what about other staff members who are just driving the van only on a normal car licence .?
CharlieWas

Post by CharlieWas »

Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:15 pm
CharlieWas wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:14 pm Yes you need a Tacho. And a restricted op license as it’s your own goods
thanks, what about other staff members who are just driving the van only on a normal car licence .?
I would think you would need artic license as the trailer is over 750kg and the towing vehicle is heavier than 3.5. Ton.
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

CharlieWas wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:15 pm
I would think you would need artic license as the trailer is over 750kg and the towing vehicle is heavier than 3.5. Ton.
the trailer gets taken out infrequently, I'm the only one allowed to tow as got class 1 and digicard, if not towing then other staff members can legally drive the van only on a normal licence, how do we record this?
CharlieWas

Post by CharlieWas »

Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:16 pm

the trailer gets taken out infrequently, I'm the only one allowed to tow as got class 1 and digicard, if not towing then other staff members can legally drive the van only on a normal licence, how do we record this?
tacho
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

CharlieWas wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:27 pm

tacho
put it to other work.?
CharlieWas

Post by CharlieWas »

Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:28 pm

tacho
put it to other work.?
your using it for commercial use. Tacho and keep all the records and the driver/s need a tacho card
ring DVSA and choose the option for driving hours. They will be able to answer that one
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

CharlieWas wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:28 pm
Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:28 pm

tacho
put it to other work.?
your using it for commercial use. Tacho and keep all the records and the driver/s need a tacho card
ring DVSA and choose the option for driving hours. They will be able to answer that one
they're not answering and sent me the email above which makes no sense, you get a pre recorded message saying they're not taking calls due to covid
bulloro

Post by bulloro »

Hi Graha_Phat
Do you hire the cherry picker out?
Or is it to do a certain type of job?
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

bulloro wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:30 pm Hi Graha_Phat
Do you hire the cherry picker out?
Or is it to do a certain type of job?
own use only but want to start renting it out with an operator, still grey area, hire and reward but own goods only being carried.?
Sild.Simon

Post by Sild.Simon »

With the pickup it possibly qualifies as a ‘dual purpose vehicle’. So you wouldn’t need an ‘O’ licence as they are exempt.
Would probably need tacho unless it’s your own tool and staying within a certain distance of your base. Builder ect are exempt under this ruling. Needs checking.
With the van you would need a tacho unless the builders exemption above can apply.
Alternatively you might be able to run either or both under UK Domestic rules in which case you’d only need to use manual log books.
Also when the vehicles are not towing, if you had a tacho, it could be put into ‘out of scope’ mode as it’s not subject to tacho rules when under the weight.
A restricted operators licence would be fine. Small Fuel tanker companies and even some supermarkets run on restricted licences. Saying that the goods are their own as payment comes later.
If I was you I’d speak to an o licence consultant. I’ve spoken to this company a few times who have been helpful.
https://www.tacltd.co.uk
vikiNews

Post by vikiNews »

Hi,
As you say a small business I believe you take the cherry picker to do some work for someone else witch is hire and reward. If so yes you need a operator licence and Tachograph. If you are not going far then 100km from the base can use log book but still need a O Licence. As of driving licence you need to have B+E .
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

vikiNews wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:38 pm Hi,
As you say a small business I believe you take the cherry picker to do some work for someone else witch is hire and reward. If so yes you need a operator licence and Tachograph. If you are not going far then 100km from the base can use log book but still need a O Licence. As of driving licence you need to have B+E .
restricted or full licence?
vikiNews

Post by vikiNews »

Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:39 pm
if you carry only your own good restricted is ok.
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

vikiNews wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:39 pm
Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:39 pm
if you carry only your own good restricted is ok.
thanks
ianhilmo

Post by ianhilmo »

if you own or lease the cherry picker and are delivering/collecting it to or from your customer then the hire and reward is for the use of thr cherry picker not for the haulage, so you should not need a full operators license. If you charge for delivering that might be an issue, but if you embedd that in the price you should be fine.
This is a useful read
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... zuzPt4Lkm_
mirward

Post by mirward »

Restricted because you are not carrying a load for hire and reward ,you don’t need a transport manager,but it will take quite a while to come through,but you can ask for an interim license while you wait,costs a bit as well good luck
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

mirward wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:43 pm Restricted because you are not carrying a load for hire and reward ,you don’t need a transport manager,but it will take quite a while to come through,but you can ask for an interim license while you wait,costs a bit as well good luck
thanks Mirward, new van on order comes in March, I’ll apply now
mirward

Post by mirward »

Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:44 pm
mirward wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:43 pm Restricted because you are not carrying a load for hire and reward ,you don’t need a transport manager,but it will take quite a while to come through,but you can ask for an interim license while you wait,costs a bit as well good luck
I have done a few of these for a few friends,if you get stuck let me know it’s not bad to do,it is just a slow project,good luck
Graha_Phat

Post by Graha_Phat »

mirward wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:45 pm
Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:44 pm
I have done a few of these for a few friends,if you get stuck let me know it’s not bad to do,it is just a slow project,good luck
thanks bud
AlanK
First name: Alan
Surname: Ali

Post by AlanK »

Graha_Phat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:09 pm Can anyone on here possibly help.
I have a small business and I tow a cherry picker on a trailer, gross weight 3.25 ton, I normally tow with a pick up, we have a new van coming with a gtw of 7 ton so can also tow with this, my question is do inm need an operators licence and tacho, no one seems to be able to give a definitive, been told I'm exempt as carrying own goods, one TM told me I need to be on tacho and have a restricted operators licence?
Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
For your situation with a 3.25-ton cherry picker and a van with a 7-ton GTW, you might need an operator's license. This often depends on the vehicle's weight and its use. However, there are exceptions, especially when you're transporting your own goods. Regarding a tachograph, it is generally required for vehicles over 3.5 tons in the EU, but exemptions exist for non-commercial use and local travel.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”