Starting my HGV lessons next month! What companies take on new passers? Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire area.

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
Mooneyer

Re: Starting my HGV lessons next month! What companies take on new passers? Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire area.

Post by Mooneyer »

B&m take on new passes there’s a dc in Bedford
CalScree

Re: Starting my HGV lessons next month! What companies take on new passers? Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire area.

Post by CalScree »

Mooneyer wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:44 pm B&m take on new passes there’s a dc in Bedford
they do but not at the moment.
AidenOxen

Post by AidenOxen »

You will pass, you will find a job it’s shit at first trust me I know I’m in my first month but I’m getting my experience through agencies but have an assessment for full time in a couple days the jobs are there it’s how you present yourself good luck don’t be scared to ask questions and stay safe and stay positive 🚛
Sykes6

Post by Sykes6 »

Save your money and don't bother. You won't get a job as a new pass unless you're very very lucky. These training companies really aren't fair at all. They just take people's money without telling them the truth.
Stevemer5

Post by Stevemer5 »

Not going to lie it is hard when you first pass. I would suggest signing with as many recruitment companies as you can until you get your 1-2 years experience. Good luck 👍
Barnesho

Post by Barnesho »

If your heading car to class 1 if might be worth looking to agencies to get yourself some experience. OK so it might not be full time but it's a good step in the right direction. Good luck.
Allunte

Post by Allunte »

Pass ya test first then ask
Farlogy

Post by Farlogy »

It's much much harder to get a driving job now there's less work and more drivers but good luck
darnace

Post by darnace »

Speak to agency some companies will only take u on via agency and on top they might and should be able to help u get on the ladder with jobs and experience
Leevio374

Post by Leevio374 »

Turner’s take on any body
BrendieV2

Post by BrendieV2 »

There is plenty out there it’s just getting about don't just go on indeed go down to the actual companies and speak to a manager and hand your cv in by hand works a lot better what people think on here they car sit in there arse on here moaning and work will come find them but no you put 100% into finding work there is a job out there for you 🙏 good luck x
trevor.skier

Post by trevor.skier »

Don't bother it's a sh*t industry you'd be better off filling shelves at Tesco
Granto.YY

Post by Granto.YY »

Plenty of companies will give you a chance if you show you're willing and don't mind driving a class2/7.5t at first for a few months.
People will get snobby and say they won't drive anything less than class 1 but get some hours on your tacho first in whatever you can take and doors will open for you pretty fast
Danny_wiak

Post by Danny_wiak »

Gregg's take on newly passed drivers, I currently work at the Leeds depot but I know there is one in Enfield and the wage is really good & a really friendly workforce 😊 good luck with progressing for your license! 🙏
darren_BB

Post by darren_BB »

Don’t send CVs out go knocking on doors get face to face with them all the best for the future
quicked

Post by quicked »

I'd go round your local area and have a chat with any local hauliers! More small companies take on new passes than you'd think.
kevin_evan

Post by kevin_evan »

January is not the best time of the year for job, even agencies are struggling to find work
whiorzo

Post by whiorzo »

Agency the quickest way to find companys
Kittiwake

Post by Kittiwake »

To be honest keep your money or use it for something else, new pass drivers are having so many problems finding work, so why would you want to add yourself to the list
gravespe566

Post by gravespe566 »

Kittiwake wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:01 pm To be honest keep your money or use it for something else, new pass drivers are having so many problems finding work, so why would you want to add yourself to the list
our lass is going it mate
Had her assessment this week and starts lessons at the end of the month and already got two offers of work
Sometimes you can be just lucky or it’s a case of not what you know but who I suppose
Kittiwake

Post by Kittiwake »

gravespe566 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:02 pm
Kittiwake wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:01 pm To be honest keep your money or use it for something else, new pass drivers are having so many problems finding work, so why would you want to add yourself to the list
Had her assessment this week and starts lessons at the end of the month and already got two offers of work
Sometimes you can be just lucky or it’s a case of not what you know but who I suppose
it seems that so many new pass are having problems finding work ,and to be fair a lot of experienced drivers are struggling, I’ve been doing this job for 35 years now and I will be honest if I could turn back time I would of walked a different path
gravespe566

Post by gravespe566 »

Kittiwake wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:02 pm
it seems that so many new pass are having problems finding work ,and to be fair a lot of experienced drivers are struggling, I’ve been doing this job for 35 years now and I will be honest if I could turn back time I would of walked a different path
yeah I know what you mean pal which is why I am lucky enough to be able mix it up with other types of work over the years
Definitely not the job it was by a long way !!!
Kittiwake

Post by Kittiwake »

gravespe566 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:03 pm
Kittiwake wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:02 pm

yeah I know what you mean pal which is why I am lucky enough to be able mix it up with other types of work over the years
Definitely not the job it was by a long way !!!
just 6 year to do then I’m done with the industry, to be fair I’ve had enough
Fai

Post by Fai »

No experience no job
geoffi

Post by geoffi »

Bits missing they would take a monkey on if it had the licence
hampusro992

Post by hampusro992 »

it’s really hard out there at the moment companies going under all over the place with no experience agencies won’t get you any work as they have experienced drivers sitting up and as soon as many companies have gone bust recently there’s no shortage of drivers out there only chance is probably the big companies who just wants bums on seats by all means do your hgv but if your already working in another sector I wouldn’t give it up just yet this in one of the worst years I’ve ever experienced in 23 years. I know it’s not an optimistic post but it is the truth. Good luck
Attimum

Post by Attimum »

None... never known such a short sighted industry. Give it a few years be crying out due to a shortage. Every industry needs new people in. An absolute joke.
1704.syllo

Post by 1704.syllo »

I've just gone back to class 1 after a 20 year break.
Personally if I were you I wouldn't waste your money.
There isn't a shortage of drivers as many would have you believe there are lots of unemployed class 1 drivers actually.
The rates are going downwards but they still expect 12-15 hours a day.
As a new pass you'll have about a 10% chance of getting a job within the first year that pays decent money.
The people that do take on new passes pay minimum wage because they can get away with it as they are fully aware of your desperation to get experience.
It cost me £600 including test when I took mine in 1989.
I've heard it can be as much as £3500 nowadays.
I'd put that to some other use.
Good luck with whatever you do.
EM_Condemn

Post by EM_Condemn »

Wolseley if you'll pass assessment, easy work, coming to different depo with dd, wait there for half day and come back. Marstons Gate
Chris_Choice

Post by Chris_Choice »

Welch's Transport Ltd
Heverin Haulage
Super drug in woodside Dunstable
O brein ( class 2 tippers ) flamstead
Aldi ( new site m1 junction 11a )
Thompson ( class 2 tippers )
Whistle In Bedford
B&m
philips

Post by philips »

Good luck with your lessons 👍 hope it all goes well , your best best would be to sign up to agencies and build up your experience on their dollar ? , lots of a different jobs in this industry to choose from , so you’ll probs start at the bottom but it won’t take you long to get what you want , good luck 🤞
ray.chaz

Post by ray.chaz »

New passers wages btw
Attachments
Tax.jpg
Tax.jpg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 669 times
DayllexFate

Post by DayllexFate »

I’ve added a few other comments through this, but pass your test then put all relevant qualifications in indeed. I’ve found all my work there or word of mouth. X
Irvicabo

Post by Irvicabo »

It depends what you’re looking for. Good pay? Or class 1 work?
If you want good pay, I recommend Bidfood in Biggleswade. £43k for Class 2 work. Class 1 work? Try subcontractors for Amazon.
Just look on places like Indeed, CV Library, etc. I’m from Biggleswade and found quite a bit of work
Frenmu

Post by Frenmu »

GXO took me on with no experience I’ve moved on since but might be worth a shot
portox128

Post by portox128 »

Try Maritime Transport Ltd look on there website think they do a new drivers thing
Gooblesson

Post by Gooblesson »

Class 1 no one but few r accept class 2
Albertec

Post by Albertec »

Try your local culina/stobart. Not sure what is in the area. But bound to have something
gareni

Post by gareni »

There are some around. However, it’s probably best to look for a company that will provide the lessons for you and give you a job. Stick with them for a year or two for experience then move on.
jideVivala

Post by jideVivala »

Pass your test first. Then possibly start with agency’s. I passed my test in 1989 found it really hard then to get a start.
LogEvents

Post by LogEvents »

Contact an agency, a few shifts here and there and eventually a permanent job may drop in your lap. Good luck.
Sean6llin

Post by Sean6llin »

Just passed mine December and I have a job at BCA. They transport cars and take on new drivers. You have to complete a open day with some test first tho. If you want to know more just ask. Good luck!
saralin

Post by saralin »

Coop, muller, brakes. Big coorporations that force every new starter to have long inductions and 2 weeks of shadow shifts with a mentor basically
lee+rmyami

Post by lee+rmyami »

Don't do it pay is shit most of the time do van work if you wont a driving job if you do your hgv it a life not a job I lost my family and the lot over hgv life but I still do it love it for sum fuck up reason lol single and living the truckers life
Sonne.Vander

Post by Sonne.Vander »

Class 2 and agency starting first get start small truck first then when you get experience then easy you can find job but not massive wage at the moment hgv drivers good luck your exam 👍
keanDrears

Post by keanDrears »

I found most that advertised online are after experience. But I landed a job by turning up with my CV and speaking in person. Been driving for a week before Xmas and this past week now. Hope to keep going with this company now I've got my foot in the door. Hope you get on well with your license and finding a job.
titchKupeng

Post by titchKupeng »

keanDrears wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:27 pm I found most that advertised online are after experience. But I landed a job by turning up with my CV and speaking in person. Been driving for a week before Xmas and this past week now. Hope to keep going with this company now I've got my foot in the door. Hope you get on well with your license and finding a job.
well how does that work with 25 years experience in engineering and none at driving a class 1 or 2 wagon 🤔
keanDrears

Post by keanDrears »

titchKupeng wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:27 pm
keanDrears wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:27 pm I found most that advertised online are after experience. But I landed a job by turning up with my CV and speaking in person. Been driving for a week before Xmas and this past week now. Hope to keep going with this company now I've got my foot in the door. Hope you get on well with your license and finding a job.
well how does that work with 25 years experience in engineering and none at driving a class 1 or 2 wagon 🤔
I came out of being in the building trade to drive class 1. So had no experience with driving. I've still found that applying in person for any job has been the way to get results. Only landed one job by going online
titchKupeng

Post by titchKupeng »

keanDrears wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:28 pm
I came out of being in the building trade to drive class 1. So had no experience with driving. I've still found that applying in person for any job has been the way to get results. Only landed one job by going online
when did you pass the class 1?
keanDrears

Post by keanDrears »

titchKupeng wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:28 pm
keanDrears wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:28 pm

when did you pass the class 1?
end of October. Then got the interview a month later and started last week before Xmas
natheo838

Post by natheo838 »

What company u doing ur training with?
Well I just got the cpc case studies and mod 4 left to do I’m with driver hire they find me a job once passed everything
I think driver hire got a depo or company in Bedfordshire
DavEddyMo

Post by DavEddyMo »

Please don’t waste your hard earned money, £3k+ to be turned away by everyone for not having enough experience or lack of work in the industry makes them super picky
nuffSAIDE

Post by nuffSAIDE »

Need to concentrate on passing it pall because the next part the finding the job part is way harder without any experience of driving them no one really wants to risk giving you the opportunity its hard.
finnifor

Post by finnifor »

Allied bakeries in stevenage take on new passes, but mainly class 2 work.
CalScree

Post by CalScree »

Get your license first. Then hit the companies with a CV. I may be able to get you something in Bedford but it's long hours and not great money until you get experience then it is still long hours but better Money. Easy work too.
Fana.Fayee

Post by Fana.Fayee »

Best thing to do is research your local companies, see what work they do and if it's something you think you would like to do. Once you have passed your test go door knocking with your CV ❤️ good luck and let us know how you get on ❤️
mervik3

Post by mervik3 »

Don't bother mate. You only get abused, paid sh*t monies, miss social life.
I know. 44 years worth of it.
In that 44 years ten different company ive worked for.
Different livery, same sh*t
Good luck.
Victorials

Post by Victorials »

Only advice I have is
1. Avoid all the companies some of these negative people work for as they clearly aren’t happy.
2. Chose an industry you are interested in and talk to people, everybody starts somewhere and if they aren’t willing to help they aren’t worth working for.
You’ll smash it. Good luck x
KatiZero

Post by KatiZero »

See if your instructor can recommend any companies. Thats always a good starting point. The industry is really tough. Research where you live and decide on how far you are willing to travel for work, then go and see those companies in person. You have to find the job. It will not find you! Even the company I work for has gone from taking on new passes to wanting a minimum of 2 years experience… Best of luck.
turday

Post by turday »

As much as I like to see the ladies coming into the job, I'd be remiss if I didn't advise against it. Wages and are crap due to the number of people getting their licence. Thats if you can actually get a job, because loads of people struggling to get one because no experience.
Learn to drive a train... money is much better and so are the unions!
Good luck!
Susrmon765

Post by Susrmon765 »

Fed Ex do as they are asking near Nottingham and openly states on their Indeed advert. I’m based near there and recently passed my Class 2, now going for Class 1 as well. And before anyone starts, did my Class 2 to build confidence and as a back up just in case my Class 1 doesn’t go to plan first time.

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”