Hi Folks, please advice. I spoke with Agency & looks like they may want me (after pass my Class 1). The question is

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
BenMan

Re: Hi Folks, please advice. I spoke with Agency & looks like they may want me (after pass my Class 1). The question is

Post by BenMan »

Hand balling is to me getting anything off the back of the trailer as a driver. But unless you’ve got some medical reason I’d just take anything and deal with it. Will get you used to not being “lazy” just wanting to sit for hours at a RDC and willing to do more, or just because you’ll probs struggle with finding work
MATTONEE

Re: Hi Folks, please advice. I spoke with Agency & looks like they may want me (after pass my Class 1). The question is

Post by MATTONEE »

BenMan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:59 pm Hand balling is to me getting anything off the back of the trailer as a driver. But unless you’ve got some medical reason I’d just take anything and deal with it. Will get you used to not being “lazy” just wanting to sit for hours at a RDC and willing to do more, or just because you’ll probs struggle with finding work
using your hands to lift or using pumpjack, forklift whatever machinery ?
BenMan

Post by BenMan »

MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:59 pm
BenMan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:59 pm Hand balling is to me getting anything off the back of the trailer as a driver. But unless you’ve got some medical reason I’d just take anything and deal with it. Will get you used to not being “lazy” just wanting to sit for hours at a RDC and willing to do more, or just because you’ll probs struggle with finding work
I currently push bins on and off a truck and I’d class that as handball. I suppose yeah using a pump truck is handballing to a degree but some may describe it as “minimal handball” which would be like 1-2 pallets I suppose. Using a forklift is your own interpretation i guess
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

BenMan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:59 pm
I currently push bins on and off a truck and I’d class that as handball. I suppose yeah using a pump truck is handballing to a degree but some may describe it as “minimal handball” which would be like 1-2 pallets I suppose. Using a forklift is your own interpretation i guess
you mean you drive refuse truck ?
russen

Post by russen »

let the old f**kers just do the RDC work 🙄
BenMan

Post by BenMan »

russen wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:00 pm
Yeah fair one 😂
russen

Post by russen »

BenMan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:01 pm
Yeah fair one 😂
although sitting at ASDA 5 plus hours for 4 pallets to get tipped not my ideal of fun. 1 of the reasons don't do RDC work no more
BenMan

Post by BenMan »

russen wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:01 pm

Yeah fair one 😂
although sitting at ASDA 5 plus hours for 4 pallets to get tipped not my ideal of fun. 1 of the reasons don't do RDC work no more
This is where I’m lucky I enjoy video games, take a portable device with me and chill when I get into that sort of work
russen

Post by russen »

BenMan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:02 pm
russen wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:01 pm

Yeah fair one 😂
This is where I’m lucky I enjoy video games, take a portable device with me and chill when I get into that sort of work
I'm 60 this year after 40 years of thumping tarmac thinking of giving it up
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

medical reason is not to f**k my arms with some 200kg bins as I'd spend few grant to go abroad and cure myself by private health care
BenMan

Post by BenMan »

MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:03 pm

medical reason is not to f**k my arms with some 200kg bins as I'd spend few grant to go abroad and cure myself by private health care
Must be old haha! Fair enough though mate
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

BenMan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:03 pm

not old, not young, just smart. Every idiot can f**k up his arms. Ask your boss what you get in return ? his smile and handshake and he will find another half wit to f**k up his arms and again and again
BenMan

Post by BenMan »

MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:04 pm

not old, not young, just smart. Every idiot can f**k up his arms. Ask your boss what you get in return ? his smile and handshake and he will find another half wit to f**k up his arms and again and again
Tough life when I’m 24 and don’t have much choice of class 1 jobs though mate
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

BenMan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:05 pm

a yes, when 24 you can do anything. Me in your age I was in Gym x 4 a week moving tons on each training. When you get 40 (in 2040) you will understand what Matt said in 2024 😆
BenMan

Post by BenMan »

MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:05 pm
BenMan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:05 pm

a yes, when 24 you can do anything. Me in your age I was in Gym x 4 a week moving tons on each training. When you get 40 (in 2040) you will understand what Matt said in 2024 😆
I prefer the right hand workout mate 😂
daffDany

Post by daffDany »

When I deliver to aldi we have to tipp ourselves but I get an extra score for it and if we have to restack a pallet we get a tenner per pallet. So if you see easy stackers make sure you rip the legs of with the ppt earn some easy money.
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

daffDany wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:06 pm When I deliver to aldi we have to tipp ourselves but I get an extra score for it and if we have to restack a pallet we get a tenner per pallet. So if you see easy stackers make sure you rip the legs of with the ppt earn some easy money.
So, it's extra money, how long it takes you to: "restack a pallet we get a tenner per pallet" ?
daffDany

Post by daffDany »

MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:07 pm
daffDany wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:06 pm When I deliver to aldi we have to tipp ourselves but I get an extra score for it and if we have to restack a pallet we get a tenner per pallet. So if you see easy stackers make sure you rip the legs of with the ppt earn some easy money.
So, it's extra money, how long it takes you to: "restack a pallet we get a tenner per pallet" ?
that's why I look for easy ones like soap powders they are not high so I can restock one in less than 10 minutes you don't have to re wrap. Just move onto an undamaged pallet some of them ain't worth the agg
daffDany

Post by daffDany »

And also kill abit more time you have to take a break after also as we have had the dvla pulling some of our boys over knowing they ain't having a break in there.
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

daffDany wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:07 pm
And also kill abit more time you have to take a break after also as we have had the dvla pulling some of our boys over knowing they ain't having a break in there.
£ 10 for 10 min, it's fair play 😆
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

"restack a pallet we get a tenner per pallet" - are you doing on your break (45 min.) then ?
daffDany

Post by daffDany »

MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:08 pm

"restack a pallet we get a tenner per pallet" - are you doing on your break (45 min.) then ?
get three of them in the back m8 an easy cheeky 30 squids 🐙
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

daffDany wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:08 pm

better then unload 1.5 ton of frozen beef into client pub freezers for handshake 😉😉. Some cheeky monkeys here are trying to advice me it's to keep me fit 😆
daffDany

Post by daffDany »

MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:09 pm

better then unload 1.5 ton of frozen beef into client pub freezers for handshake 😉😉. Some cheeky monkeys here are trying to advice me it's to keep me fit 😆
are they sh*t to drive feel them swaying about?
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

daffDany wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:09 pm
MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:09 pm

are they sh*t to drive feel them swaying about?
SOME people are so pissed of because of: foreigners, mortgages, cyclists, they find anything ( anyone ) really to get some relief 😆
Perryzite

Post by Perryzite »

If you’ve got to handball ie using your hands within reason just do it and don’t moan about it won’t look good for you to many drivers now think they can pick and choose what to do if it’s to heavy and you physically can’t do it then fair enough but otherwise crack on and get the job done
thwell

Post by thwell »

“Handmauling” probably became “handballing” years ago. Handball is a game hitting a ball over a net. Someone misheard probably? 🙂
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

thwell wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:12 pm “Handmauling” probably became “handballing” years ago. Handball is a game hitting a ball over a net. Someone misheard probably? 🙂
nice word play like it
NitonNiase

Post by NitonNiase »

If on general haulage driver is responsible to ensure goods loaded correct and placed in a safe manner then to secure load fit for travel reverse at delivery point supermarket work involves moving cages on and off vehicle using tail lift pallet work is using pump truck we are not insured to handball customers goods if you injure your self or some one else doing so you fan be in heaps of trouble ie health and safety and if you can’t drive through injury result is your stuck truck stuck other customers goods stuck job stuffed just a few things to bear in mind
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

NitonNiase wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:19 pm If on general haulage driver is responsible to ensure goods loaded correct and placed in a safe manner then to secure load fit for travel reverse at delivery point supermarket work involves moving cages on and off vehicle using tail lift pallet work is using pump truck we are not insured to handball customers goods if you injure your self or some one else doing so you fan be in heaps of trouble ie health and safety and if you can’t drive through injury result is your stuck truck stuck other customers goods stuck job stuffed just a few things to bear in mind
"we are not insured to handball customers goods if you injure your self or some one else doing so you fan be in heaps of trouble ie health and safety and if you can’t drive through injury result is your stuck truck stuck other customers goods stuck job stuffed" I think I would agree 100 %. We are NOT insured to handball. So, any injury thanks and goodbye. I had these twice while being HGV mechanic. And they will cut me in pieces all those half wits moaning that I'm weak but if they will strain their hand and will off work for 3 months they will start moaning themselves as sick pay it £90 a week
NitonNiase

Post by NitonNiase »

MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:19 pm
NitonNiase wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:19 pm If on general haulage driver is responsible to ensure goods loaded correct and placed in a safe manner then to secure load fit for travel reverse at delivery point supermarket work involves moving cages on and off vehicle using tail lift pallet work is using pump truck we are not insured to handball customers goods if you injure your self or some one else doing so you fan be in heaps of trouble ie health and safety and if you can’t drive through injury result is your stuck truck stuck other customers goods stuck job stuffed just a few things to bear in mind
"we are not insured to handball customers goods if you injure your self or some one else doing so you fan be in heaps of trouble ie health and safety and if you can’t drive through injury result is your stuck truck stuck other customers goods stuck job stuffed" I think I would agree 100 %. We are NOT insured to handball. So, any injury thanks and goodbye. I had these twice while being HGV mechanic. And they will cut me in pieces all those half wits moaning that I'm weak but if they will strain their hand and will off work for 3 months they will start moaning themselves as sick pay it £90 a week
think about it container driver turns up with full 40’ container it’s up to customer to off load it driver stays in his cab it’s the same principle
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

NitonNiase wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:20 pm
MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:19 pm
think about it container driver turns up with full 40’ container it’s up to customer to off load it driver stays in his cab it’s the same principle
I know, I was called to unload such container, we done it me & my boss. Driver was sitting in his cab or taking a pee in the field
anth7Antiar

Post by anth7Antiar »

if it gets you through the door and a bit of handballing then so be it , can't be too choosy when you starting out , don't put limits on yourself to start with , get some miles and years under your belt .... Then you can be choosy ... That's my advice ( 30 years ) anyway 👍
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

anth7Antiar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:22 pm if it gets you through the door and a bit of handballing then so be it , can't be too choosy when you starting out , don't put limits on yourself to start with , get some miles and years under your belt .... Then you can be choosy ... That's my advice ( 30 years ) anyway 👍
very good advice, I like it : "a bit of handballing"
anth7Antiar

Post by anth7Antiar »

MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:23 pm
anth7Antiar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:22 pm if it gets you through the door and a bit of handballing then so be it , can't be too choosy when you starting out , don't put limits on yourself to start with , get some miles and years under your belt .... Then you can be choosy ... That's my advice ( 30 years ) anyway 👍
just take anything you can no matter how sh*t , 2 years will fly by , no job is perfect and cushy
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

anth7Antiar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:23 pm
MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:23 pm
just take anything you can no matter how sh*t , 2 years will fly by , no job is perfect and cushy
who said I have no job ? 😆
StovaLLogy

Post by StovaLLogy »

This is the trouble today with todays drivers ,they want the luxury but not the work lazy lot.
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

StovaLLogy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:26 pm This is the trouble today with todays drivers ,they want the luxury but not the work lazy lot.
yea sure " luxury " like sh*tin & p*ssin in bushes or lack of proper parking areas. Man have you seen how is it in Germany ?
1930-sharee

Post by 1930-sharee »

As a driver how can you not know what handball is??
sellsco15

Post by sellsco15 »

It just means keeping your left hand down your keks fondling your ballbag as you no longer have to use your left hand in driving apart from tuning your radio. Dead easy work you will love it. And your boss will reward your hard work with more work so you can play with your ballbag even more 👍
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

sellsco15 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:30 pm It just means keeping your left hand down your keks fondling your ballbag as you no longer have to use your left hand in driving apart from tuning your radio. Dead easy work you will love it. And your boss will reward your hard work with more work so you can play with your ballbag even more 👍
sure pal you know best😆
richop

Post by richop »

Bending your back all over all day every day good nigh to your lower back.
AIDENTRIX

Post by AIDENTRIX »

I’m usually nice to aspiring drivers on here especially with me not been passed that long but Jesus you ask some shit pass your test and stop messing around counting your chickens before they’ve hatched if you start making demands you’ll get nowhere get in a job learn the industry make yourself useful to an employer instead of a pain in the arse I hope you pass and get in somewhere but I bet you end up a job hopper
aitkeny

Post by aitkeny »

You will always get a delivery that is Handball either due to office errors. Slippery planners or just places you can't get into and flt is indoors or yard use only, or even "we have been having that delivery for years, when we started receiving them we had a flt, but we don't anymore!@" also the average clothing warehouse in the likes of Cheathan Hill Manchester have neither a flt or trained driver for 1, refusing to muck in and help handball could be career limiting, having said that a decent firm will pay a driver handball incentive (could be £7 to £10 a pallet) ok it's eats into your spreadover time and is manual labour, but it may be the only way that delivery is coming off!!! Either that or have a trailer with a taillift and pump truck and then see the array of places your Arctic will be sent !!!
CalScree

Post by CalScree »

I've done enough handballing in my career to date, used to be a refrigerated courier for Brakes. Load van, drive to drop, unload van with no help and repeat. Now I just pull up to a bay and let others load a d unload me.
cameBugsy

Post by cameBugsy »

Are you going to strap your load at all? Not sure how you plan on not getting your hands dirty a bit and expect to drive, even doing your pre shift checks you'll have to get your hands wet and dirty, fueling up, strapping etc,
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

cameBugsy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:36 pm Are you going to strap your load at all? Not sure how you plan on not getting your hands dirty a bit and expect to drive, even doing your pre shift checks you'll have to get your hands wet and dirty, fueling up, strapping etc,
I never said about not getting my hands dirty. Checks I can do with closed eyes mate, I'm Hgv mechanic
PICKERACO

Post by PICKERACO »

I've never had to hand ball anything of particular weight. I found the agency I used (a half decent one having naffed a few off) would check 3 times if there was much actual lifting as they’d had drivers walk off in the past and they need to keep clients happy.
I would include pump trucks and roller cages in hand balling. In fact I’d include anything more than pulling curtains. Which on a windy had have been more trouble than any hand balling!! Iv had my feet off the ground fighting them!!
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

PICKERACO wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:38 pm I've never had to hand ball anything of particular weight. I found the agency I used (a half decent one having naffed a few off) would check 3 times if there was much actual lifting as they’d had drivers walk off in the past and they need to keep clients happy.
I would include pump trucks and roller cages in hand balling. In fact I’d include anything more than pulling curtains. Which on a windy had have been more trouble than any hand balling!! Iv had my feet off the ground fighting them!!
So, never ever handballing included?
PICKERACO

Post by PICKERACO »

MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:38 pm
PICKERACO wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:38 pm I've never had to hand ball anything of particular weight. I found the agency I used (a half decent one having naffed a few off) would check 3 times if there was much actual lifting as they’d had drivers walk off in the past and they need to keep clients happy.
it was and I did a lot as I am quite happy to however it want too heavy and the agency I used double check
MATTONEE

Post by MATTONEE »

PICKERACO wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:38 pm
MATTONEE wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:38 pm
it was and I did a lot as I am quite happy to however it want too heavy and the agency I used double check
very wise, handball = yes, but too heavy handball = no, many guys just don't understand difference that heavy lifting may f**k up you for years (if not for life)

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”