Hi guys, what is the fine/penalty if I overtaking thru left lane if is a sleepy guy on middle lane? Let's say I'm on

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
TRAILSEJ

Hi guys, what is the fine/penalty if I overtaking thru left lane if is a sleepy guy on middle lane? Let's say I'm on

Post by TRAILSEJ »

Hi guys, what is the fine/penalty if I overtaking thru left lane if is a sleepy guy on middle lane? Thanks! 😁
Let's say I'm on the first lane I overtake I'm on the second lane now and is somebody who driving with 52 mph I cant go on third lane because is only 3 lanes. I come back on first lane I overtaking and I keep like that, because even with the car I do like that I know is not total legal but is make me crazy when people driving on 3th or 4th lane with 67-70 mph. 😅
jamexxli

Re: Hi guys, what is the fine/penalty if I overtaking thru left lane if is a sleepy guy on middle lane? Let's say I'm on

Post by jamexxli »

Nothing
If your lane is moving faster then you can legally pass on the inside it’s only illegal if you change lane to pass on the inside
TRAILSEJ

Re: Hi guys, what is the fine/penalty if I overtaking thru left lane if is a sleepy guy on middle lane? Let's say I'm on

Post by TRAILSEJ »

jamexxli wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:57 pm Nothing
If your lane is moving faster then you can legally pass on the inside it’s only illegal if you change lane to pass on the inside
let's say I'm on the first lane I overtake i'm on the second lane now and is somebody who driving with 52 mph I cant go on third lane because is only 3 lanes ..I come back on first lane I overtaking and I keep like that ....because even with the car I do like that I know is not total legal but is make me crazy when people driving on 3th or 4th lane with 67-70 mph 😅
dazuu-1962

Post by dazuu-1962 »

absolutely correct
newHonda

Post by newHonda »

correct you can pass inside due to slow moving traffic
bobwiz

Post by bobwiz »

What Jamexxli says
Mccorsh

Post by Mccorsh »

Did you pull over to the right after
philloia

Post by philloia »

Nothing they shouldn’t be hogging the middle lane that’s the offence 😁
martorce

Post by martorce »

You aren't overtaking in the left lane, you're making progress in your own lane. As long as you didn't change lane to do so
griftley

Post by griftley »

martorce wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:03 pm You aren't overtaking in the left lane, you're making progress in your own lane. As long as you didn't change lane to do so
only if you were originally in the left lane not if u changed lanes to undertake
martorce

Post by martorce »

griftley wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:03 pm
martorce wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:03 pm You aren't overtaking in the left lane, you're making progress in your own lane. As long as you didn't change lane to do so
only if you were originally in the left lane not if u changed lanes to undertake
that's literally what I said mate.
whell.moore

Post by whell.moore »

Undertaking is. Left right left. It is not being in the left lane making progress at or below the speed limit. M1 variable speed limit does my head in. Cars doing 47 in middle lane. I just travel in the left at 50
Viorect

Post by Viorect »

whell.moore wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:08 pm Undertaking is. Left right left. It is not being in the left lane making progress at or below the speed limit. M1 variable speed limit does my head in. Cars doing 47 in middle lane. I just travel in the left at 50
They drive for pleasure. We drive for work with a fixed arrival time!!!
simp2meys

Post by simp2meys »

Undertaking is illegal as far as I was aware .. you read things on these sites about drivers being done for it
Hurke-jjoe

Post by Hurke-jjoe »

simp2meys wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:09 pm Undertaking is illegal as far as I was aware .. you read things on these sites about drivers being done for it
Undertaking certainly against the law of the road but under passing without changing lanes is not. It’s no different than sitting in traffic with inside lane moving a little faster than lane 2.
stual2omm

Post by stual2omm »

Undertake in the left lane and don't move back out for a measured mile is fine it's classified as passing on the near side not overtaking
indengo25

Post by indengo25 »

Making progress, not illegal. If you go from lane 2 to lane 1 aaaand back in lane 2 then it's considered undertaking (illegal) and you get done for dangerous driving
gartyfo96

Post by gartyfo96 »

Passing on inside not illegal it's when you move from lane 2 to 1 then back to 2 is class as under taking
glazear

Post by glazear »

If you’re in the first lane making progress and a slower vehicle is in lane 2 and day dreaming you’re ok to undertake as you haven’t moved lanes, if you were following in lane 2 moved to lane 1 and undertook then pulled back into lane 2 that’s illegal. That’s in the eyes of the law undue care or inconsiderate driving that’s up to 9 points and a nice fine I know as years ago I got reported by dash cam for doing that to a car I got 6 points £600 fine (inconsiderate driving cd20) you’re classed as a professional driver by the courts and remember everyone hates a lorry driver
TRAILSEJ

Post by TRAILSEJ »

glazear wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:15 pm If you’re in the first lane making progress and a slower vehicle is in lane 2 and day dreaming you’re ok to undertake as you haven’t moved lanes, if you were following in lane 2 moved to lane 1 and undertook then pulled back into lane 2 that’s illegal. That’s in the eyes of the law undue care or inconsiderate driving that’s up to 9 points and a nice fine I know as years ago I got reported by dash cam for doing that to a car I got 6 points £600 fine (inconsiderate driving cd20) you’re classed as a professional driver by the courts and remember everyone hates a lorry driver
finally a clear answer. Thanks 😁
glazear

Post by glazear »

TRAILSEJ wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:16 pm
glazear wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:15 pm If you’re in the first lane making progress and a slower vehicle is in lane 2 and day dreaming you’re ok to undertake as you haven’t moved lanes, if you were following in lane 2 moved to lane 1 and undertook then pulled back into lane 2 that’s illegal. That’s in the eyes of the law undue care or inconsiderate driving that’s up to 9 points and a nice fine I know as years ago I got reported by dash cam for doing that to a car I got 6 points £600 fine (inconsiderate driving cd20) you’re classed as a professional driver by the courts and remember everyone hates a lorry driver
you’re welcome fella
TRAILSEJ

Post by TRAILSEJ »

glazear wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:16 pm
you’re welcome fella
but after how many miles or seconds I can go back on lane 2?
glazear

Post by glazear »

glazear wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:16 pm

you’re welcome fella
but after how many miles or seconds I can go back on lane 2?
that’s a hard answer if you pull into lane 1 you shouldn’t move back to lane 2 straight away you can once you obviously caught up with a slower vehicle in lane 1
Stef8ibren

Post by Stef8ibren »

I'm not sure but I like to think that staying in left lane is not an undertaking manoeuvre, just traffic moving faster. I do it all the time and if anyone will charge me for it has a sad life and should look at why I've done it.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Stop asking STUPID QUESTIONS and get on with it ffs
TRAILSEJ

Post by TRAILSEJ »

Toddie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:18 pm Stop asking STUPID QUESTIONS and get on with it ffs
I do apologise if my questions make you angry 🙏😂
HeattQUEY

Post by HeattQUEY »

Toddie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:18 pm Stop asking STUPID QUESTIONS and get on with it ffs
you must have been reading my mind lol dangerous thing that 😜😂
TJsellic

Post by TJsellic »

Under cutting is not an offence. It only becomes an offence if you pull in front of the vehicle that you're under cutting.
HarZest

Post by HarZest »

Start saving for a big fine Lad, 3 points on your licence And remember them points don't make prizes
Jrba

Post by Jrba »

HarZest wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:22 pm Start saving for a big fine Lad, 3 points on your licence And remember them points don't make prizes
Would you be able to provide an official link to support that?
HarZest

Post by HarZest »

Jrba wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:23 pm
HarZest wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:22 pm Start saving for a big fine Lad, 3 points on your licence And remember them points don't make prizes
Would you be able to provide an official link to support that?
Why's that? Have you been caught aswell 😉
KealLink

Post by KealLink »

the law has changed. But I do love ur responses to these questions....
mitcheer

Post by mitcheer »

If your lane is moving and safe to undertake then keep going
KatMore

Post by KatMore »

You can undertake if it is feasible to do so
Attachments
Highway Code.jpg
Highway Code.jpg (96.62 KiB) Viewed 258 times
reos.maroll

Post by reos.maroll »

I did the same today on the M25, 3rd and 4th were packed, no chance to overtake. So I undertake the sleepy guy.
mauriago61

Post by mauriago61 »

If you are in lane one before, and after passing the other vehicle, you haven’t broken any laws.
He Has
Lane One is the driving lane, all other lanes are for overtaking only.
Matterci8

Post by Matterci8 »

Undertaking isn't illegal, the manor of the undertake is what makes it illegal (undertaking to then go out to lane 3 like a boiii racer)
Also, if on a three lane A road you're allowed to be in lane three 👀
Mickyall+Mj

Post by Mickyall+Mj »

I believe its just a page ban. 24hr maybe. 🤣🤣
PeteFix

Post by PeteFix »

Undertaking is not illegal. However, if it causes a danger to other road users, you could be prosecuted for careless or dangerous driving.
reev_power

Post by reev_power »

I dont know what the ban or fine will be, but f**k me, I got a headache reading that!!!! 🤣
KealLink

Post by KealLink »

The law has changed. U can undertake/overtake in any lane now...
brady+thco

Post by brady+thco »

Undertaking and pulling Infront is illegal, but under passing a slower moving vehicle is not if you are keeping pace with traffic
beaxis.1963

Post by beaxis.1963 »

Anyone else had to read that 3 times to understand the question 🤔
GlenBall

Post by GlenBall »

An underpass is not an undertake. So long as you’re already in lane 1, and carry on in lane 1, it’s no problem. The person in the middle lane should get done for staying in the middle lane.
NaiNavy

Post by NaiNavy »

!!!
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (30.13 KiB) Viewed 244 times
dacept

Post by dacept »

NaiNavy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:42 pm!!!
trucks can't use third lane
NaiNavy

Post by NaiNavy »

dacept wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:42 pm
think we all know that… so use option 1, the first lane
Yenns.Bos

Post by Yenns.Bos »

dacept wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:42 pm
not strictly true. Trucks can't use outside lane of a 3 (or more) lane motorway, but can use outside lane of a 3 lane A road.
matFerdy

Post by matFerdy »

And what did you do for the sleepy driver
Jardie.mint

Post by Jardie.mint »

Pass left stay left don't move over back to lane 2 👍
TRAILSEJ

Post by TRAILSEJ »

Jardie.mint wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:46 pm Pass left stay left don't move over back to lane 2 👍
for how long time I should stay on lane 1 and go again on lane 2 it is any regulation about that?
Jardie.mint

Post by Jardie.mint »

TRAILSEJ wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:47 pm
Jardie.mint wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:46 pm Pass left stay left don't move over back to lane 2 👍
for how long time I should stay on lane 1 and go again on lane 2 it is any regulation about that?
not to sure pal I would leave it abit before going back over would try avoid it all together and ease off let them crack on.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”