A few years ago an email was sent out saying if you don’t think it’s safe to go out in the winds let us know, When

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Amiel_MC

Re: A few years ago an email was sent out saying if you don’t think it’s safe to go out in the winds let us know, When

Post by Amiel_MC »

I’ve had to do it. New driver and didn’t have a lot of weight on. Really dislike the wind from motorcycling. Rang my boss and he allowed me to park up at truck stop. I’d done 3 days in bad winds in tall curtain sider I was worn out. Didn’t feel safe. They allowed me to park up. You do feel rubbish though and guilt but as the comment above says. We all have our own levels of safe. I’d reached that limit and called it a day.
Amiel_MC

Re: A few years ago an email was sent out saying if you don’t think it’s safe to go out in the winds let us know, When

Post by Amiel_MC »

Also helps on windy days to be on tankers. Not as bad!
Attachments
Seaways.jpg
Seaways.jpg (95.42 KiB) Viewed 219 times
Pricerb

Post by Pricerb »

Amiel_MC wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:58 pm I’ve had to do it. New driver and didn’t have a lot of weight on. Really dislike the wind from motorcycling. Rang my boss and he allowed me to park up at truck stop. I’d done 3 days in bad winds in tall curtain sider I was worn out. Didn’t feel safe. They allowed me to park up. You do feel rubbish though and guilt but as the comment above says. We all have our own levels of safe. I’d reached that limit and called it a day.
I wouldn’t expect anything other from the Cotterills great people and real haulage firm 💪🏼
Amiel_MC

Post by Amiel_MC »

Pricerb wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:59 pm
Amiel_MC wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:58 pm I’ve had to do it. New driver and didn’t have a lot of weight on. Really dislike the wind from motorcycling. Rang my boss and he allowed me to park up at truck stop. I’d done 3 days in bad winds in tall curtain sider I was worn out. Didn’t feel safe. They allowed me to park up. You do feel rubbish though and guilt but as the comment above says. We all have our own levels of safe. I’d reached that limit and called it a day.
I wouldn’t expect anything other from the Cotterills great people and real haulage firm 💪🏼
very lucky! 👍
WILLsonyx

Post by WILLsonyx »

wouldn't expect anything less from Robert and Mick. Great family run outfit to work for. Always try to look out for their drivers where possible. Always put out a message to everyone about adverse weather and not taking risks.
Davyan

Post by Davyan »

90mph in wales tonight park up if you don’t feel comfortable feck em it’s not as if it’s not bad
Jarman

Post by Jarman »

Given the met office warnings, the Higheays Agency stopping all high sided vehicles along A66 from 7pm to 3am, police warning not to go put unless necessary, I think you should not feel guilty, customer would rather have it late than not at all
ashFortune

Post by ashFortune »

How can "they" blame you for wind 🤔
AISSCONC

Post by AISSCONC »

Because a lot of bosses can’t drive trucks or the university graduate is left in charge who couldn’t make a decent decision as long as they have a hole in their arse the days of EX drivers running transport offices are long gone I think cause the money is shit so take it easy speed down and get home safe 👍 don’t forget if you’re on a long shift the above will be in bed with warm milk by the time you finish 👍
Deallyso

Post by Deallyso »

If it ain't safe to drive go and park up
But everyone will be doing the same so you will be driving around in the unsafe wind to try and find a parking space 😁
BaBarleyne

Post by BaBarleyne »

I just got back from a run to Milton Keyens from Scunthorpe, was a very rough drive with the wind! was in a 15 foot 6 curtain sider as well with very little weight on
Tonnitr

Post by Tonnitr »

It is always the drivers responsibility full stop
CraiggeeCo

Post by CraiggeeCo »

Fock the office, if you need to park up then you need to park up ..
lee+rmyami

Post by lee+rmyami »

Foot down it’s windy steer into the wind crack on 😟🚛
Mikeeny

Post by Mikeeny »

To dangerous I’ve had to park up passed 4 lorries on their sides
riri+adess

Post by riri+adess »

I've been out tonight aswell wasn't to bad in the end thankfully
Nickreno.Bee

Post by Nickreno.Bee »

Empty 16ft curtainsider nice and tight straight over Severn Bridge last night near side wheels all off the ground. What’s up with ya? 🤷‍♂️
gigang

Post by gigang »

Respond to whoever sent the email with the name(s) of whoever said you are refusing.
neiReports

Post by neiReports »

Sitting in a canteen verses sitting on your side on the road , only the driver can make the call whether to drive in high winds , the transport office can neither dictate or discipline if you take it out or not
JihnoTarget

Post by JihnoTarget »

I remember coming back from Liverpool to Wellesbourne Warwickshire about 5 years ago one night and it was pretty windy ,so windy in fact that when I reached the M6/M5 split a lorry on the Northbound side had gone over 😲.I made it back safely thankfully
ReeRogerr

Post by ReeRogerr »

I remember when it was that bad all trucks were told to leve the road network and park up safe
Gav.Be

Post by Gav.Be »

Never missed a days work because of weather in 26 years of driving class 1 🤷
daffDany

Post by daffDany »

Bulls eye mate but play them at there own game wind's them up more. You turn up with an ill try boss attitude then you send a message to your planner as soon as your pulling out "trailers picking up the wind feels really nasty starting to get me worried please advise ?" And earn your self a paid day off or garrenteed denabilty when you have proff you were told to continue even thoe you felt unsafe 😃
Furl1447

Post by Furl1447 »

daffDany wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:14 pm Bulls eye mate but play them at there own game wind's them up more. You turn up with an ill try boss attitude then you send a message to your planner as soon as your pulling out "trailers picking up the wind feels really nasty starting to get me worried please advise ?" And earn your self a paid day off or garrenteed denabilty when you have proff you were told to continue even thoe you felt unsafe 😃
if they tell you to drive ask them to put it in writing you will be surprised how many managers cannot write
adrianZest

Post by adrianZest »

This is what the wind can do on the A66 this was last year, more pics in the replies of the same trip.
Attachments
Photo1.jpg
Photo1.jpg (172.89 KiB) Viewed 186 times
adrianZest

Post by adrianZest »

Attachments
Photo2.jpg
Photo2.jpg (157.83 KiB) Viewed 186 times
adrianZest

Post by adrianZest »

Attachments
Photo3.jpg
Photo3.jpg (179.3 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Richard.Puff

Post by Richard.Puff »

At the end of the day work can replace you. Your family can't and of course it was a comment too cover their arses
timagel

Post by timagel »

A judge ruled against Wincanton in a personal injury caused by high winds and vehicle going over approx 2007-2008, was in a trade magazine. He ruled that in this day and age there is no excuse to send out vehicles with the amount of warnings in the media, internet etc. His injuries must have been significant and financial losses as he was awarded £78K ish plus legal fees against Wincanton. The court fees alone on the day would have £20k ish. Surely it’s better to either cancel or delay the the delivery / collection, even if your insurance picks up the tab, with excesses etc you must have a least cost yourself 1-2 weeks losses on 1 wagons profits.
alpine xf 95

Post by alpine xf 95 »

Pricerb wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:59 pm
I first met Robert at a Truck Show in Holland with the ex Richard Reads ERF breakdown truck, Within 5 mins of talking to him it felt like i had know him for years, One of the very few genuine Men in Road Haulage today, well thats my opinion of the Man, and i have Never been wrong with First Opinions yet, Just a shame there are not more about like him, ( Real Men )
I have to agree Cotterills are great people thats for sure.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”