Hi everyone, Another one goes pop. The UK Haulage industry is in a sorry state?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
TerenceMew

Re: Hi everyone, Another one goes pop. The UK Haulage industry is in a sorry state?

Post by TerenceMew »

ray.chaz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:08 pm
TerenceMew wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:07 pm
ray.chaz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:07 pm Just remember boys. There is no such thing as a return load. They are all going somewhere
saw some return loads for £1.68 a mile, no wonder firm's going skint
All you boys should refuse at that price. I was an owner driver back in the 70s. And would refuse any return load prices. Pay the proper rate or leave it where it was
will go like the Turk's the driver's only get paid when they are loaded, will still get cab happy driver's,
ray.chaz

Re: Hi everyone, Another one goes pop. The UK Haulage industry is in a sorry state?

Post by ray.chaz »

TerenceMew wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:08 pm
ray.chaz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:08 pm
TerenceMew wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:07 pm

saw some return loads for £1.68 a mile, no wonder firm's going skint
All you boys should refuse at that price. I was an owner driver back in the 70s. And would refuse any return load prices. Pay the proper rate or leave it where it was
will go like the Turk's the driver's only get paid when they are loaded, will still get cab happy driver's,
If you are an owner driver with £145,000 round your neck it's very tempting. But dont look for your own loads after a while you will get to know where to look
Mooneyer

Post by Mooneyer »

agenda 21/30 in full swing you will own nothing and be happy time to stand up 400 trucks outside parliment would be good and get these evil narsosist out of power
TerenceMew

Post by TerenceMew »

Mooneyer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:09 pm agenda 21/30 in full swing you will own nothing and be happy time to stand up 400 trucks outside parliment would be good and get these evil narsosist out of power
driver's sticking together, don't think so, as long as they have shinny wheels, that's all what matters,
EldElegy

Post by EldElegy »

TerenceMew wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:09 pm
Mooneyer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:09 pm agenda 21/30 in full swing you will own nothing and be happy time to stand up 400 trucks outside parliment would be good and get these evil narsosist out of power
driver's sticking together, don't think so, as long as they have shinny wheels, that's all what matters,
we would have to all speak the same language first if you no what I mean
TerenceMew

Post by TerenceMew »

i was in France when the French farmers and lorry drivers with the police looking on burned our beef, the French lorry drivers blocked Paris,
Depuller

Post by Depuller »

Pension funds have invaded the industry with a min 6% return on the investment, no one can compete in a market against them margins, and when the industry is nackered( which is a race to the bottom now) they find the next one, we all stood still as the small businesses were hoovered up by the multi nationals who now get back any investment with price hikes due to little or no compitition, once society allows this monolopy to grow then society suffers, its nothing but assisted profiteering at our expense, as millions spent on the media would have you thinking otherwise,
shane-down

Post by shane-down »

Depuller wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:11 pm Pension funds have invaded the industry with a min 6% return on the investment, no one can compete in a market against them margins, and when the industry is nackered( which is a race to the bottom now) they find the next one, we all stood still as the small businesses were hoovered up by the multi nationals who now get back any investment with price hikes due to little or no compitition, once society allows this monolopy to grow then society suffers, its nothing but assisted profiteering at our expense, as millions spent on the media would have you thinking otherwise,
very true, same in farming, same in all business TBF
Depuller

Post by Depuller »

shane-down wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:12 pm
Depuller wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:11 pm Pension funds have invaded the industry with a min 6% return on the investment, no one can compete in a market against them margins, and when the industry is nackered( which is a race to the bottom now) they find the next one, we all stood still as the small businesses were hoovered up by the multi nationals who now get back any investment with price hikes due to little or no compitition, once society allows this monolopy to grow then society suffers, its nothing but assisted profiteering at our expense, as millions spent on the media would have you thinking otherwise,
very true, same in farming, same in all business TBF
the penny is starting to drop, industry is sold out, services are dire, now were been forcefully been invaded with the excuse of refugees, people need to realise, this is our country not the elites play thing, boot out the corrupt ASAP
Kennaxo

Post by Kennaxo »

I've worked beside plenty of 'foreigners' and not one has worked for less than I've been paid, but then I'm Scottish, not English
TerenceMew

Post by TerenceMew »

Kennaxo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:13 pm I've worked beside plenty of 'foreigners' and not one has worked for less than I've been paid, but then I'm Scottish, not English
why do you have to come to England for work all week then back home weekends,, that's what happened when I was driving,
Kennaxo

Post by Kennaxo »

TerenceMew wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:13 pm
Kennaxo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:13 pm I've worked beside plenty of 'foreigners' and not one has worked for less than I've been paid, but then I'm Scottish, not English
why do you have to come to England for work all week then back home weekends,, that's what happened when I was driving,
I don't "come to England for work"...I bring stuff from Scotland to England and then take stuff back, normally 2 trips either way...Not sure what that has to do with the conversation though...🤷‍♂️
Declanniki

Post by Declanniki »

Anything to do with Brexit
Wardax58

Post by Wardax58 »

Declanniki wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:14 pm Anything to do with Brexit
it seems to be the elephant in the room..its everyone else fault
Kennaxo

Post by Kennaxo »

Here,
Attachments
Haulage.jpg
Haulage.jpg (82.36 KiB) Viewed 370 times
TerenceMew

Post by TerenceMew »

Kennaxo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:15 pmHere,
a few year's back i was parked up in hull overnight outside a flower plant wharehouse, all night Turkish lorry's were coming and going in delivering local, spoke to a Turkish driver he said they only got paid when they were loaded, they could not get a load back to turkey, so after that they would go to the M25 keep circling it waiting for something to come up, and that's what you are competing with
Kennaxo

Post by Kennaxo »

TerenceMew wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:16 pm
a few year's back i was parked up in hull overnight outside a flower plant wharehouse, all night Turkish lorry's were coming and going in delivering local, spoke to a Turkish driver he said they only got paid when they were loaded, they could not get a load back to turkey, so after that they would go to the M25 keep circling it waiting for something to come up, and that's what you are competing with
Aye, it's common knowledge that they only get paid when loaded mate....It's why their companies are happy for them to sit for days at a time waiting for a load...It's not costing the company anything
TerenceMew

Post by TerenceMew »

Kennaxo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:16 pm
TerenceMew wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:16 pm
Aye, it's common knowledge that they only get paid when loaded mate....It's why their companies are happy for them to sit for days at a time waiting for a load...It's not costing the company anything
you have to compete with that
LiLouis

Post by LiLouis »

Why you all not standing together like the German farmers? Thats only way get them up, your all competing against each other but racing to the bottom instead of all pushing up hill together.
Would never do general haulage your rates are abysmal and that’s a understatement
Treave

Post by Treave »

LiLouis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:17 pm Why you all not standing together like the German farmers? Thats only way get them up, your all competing against each other but racing to the bottom instead of all pushing up hill together.
Would never do general haulage your rates are abysmal and that’s a understatement
100% agree mate.
I got offered some rates few weeks ago. £600 to do over 400 miles round trip plus going in and out the dock twice plus tip. Can’t make a profit at that. Told them I’d rather park the wagon up.
robenso

Post by robenso »

I was done with a company I will name soon 🔜 however the sad thing is closed the company on the 6th October ordered from
Me on the 11th. Probably reading this post sad it happened but sadder he nee and f**ked me. Promised to pay and pay but nothing stealing over 4.5K
Mitchor

Post by Mitchor »

robenso wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:20 pm I was done with a company I will name soon 🔜 however the sad thing is closed the company on the 6th October ordered from
Me on the 11th. Probably reading this post sad it happened but sadder he nee and f**ked me. Promised to pay and pay but nothing stealing over 4.5K
They can still keep operating In hopes that they get bought out or get some funding and business continues. I know we did some business with Magnus after the announcement and maybe we’ll still do a bit with Youngs as they remain operational. I’m sure they don’t have the intention of screwing suppliers over and they try to do anything to keep the business running as most of these are family legacies. Not that any of that makes your life easier.
robenso

Post by robenso »

Mitchor wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:20 pm
robenso wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:20 pm I was done with a company I will name soon 🔜 however the sad thing is closed the company on the 6th October ordered from
They can still keep operating In hopes that they get bought out or get some funding and business continues. I know we did some business with Magnus after the announcement and maybe we’ll still do a bit with Youngs as they remain operational. I’m sure they don’t have the intention of screwing suppliers over and they try to do anything to keep the business running as most of these are family legacies. Not that any of that makes your life easier.
if he was honest and told
Me this is happening can you sort me out until this and that I’m human yes I can just don’t stress me which he did and still does not answer calls or even a payment plan total screwed but I understand what your saying though
Mitchor

Post by Mitchor »

robenso wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:21 pm
Mitchor wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:20 pm
if he was honest and told
Me this is happening can you sort me out until this and that I’m human yes I can just don’t stress me which he did and still does not answer calls or even a payment plan total screwed but I understand what your saying though
yeh I get you. Little communication goes a long way.
alpine xf 95

Post by alpine xf 95 »

Mitchor wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:15 pm
SomberLummo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:15 pm The elephant in the room is *invoice finance*, its a very painful death once those bastards get their claws into you, and if you look past the headlines with these companies pulling the shutters down, its the banks that are the problem....🕵
I think the bigger issue is people (all the gear no idea types) offering rates at £1.50 a mile just to “win” the business and now the likes of “a big pallet company who shall not be named” get used to it or the big boys trying to increase their profit margins by pushing on the bottom line rather than increasing prices to customers.
Well said you have hit the Nail on the head lol ( All the Gear no Idea )

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”