Hi all, Why do companies only want to recruit experienced Coach Drivers?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
olea2ment

Re: Hi all, Why do companies only want to recruit experienced Coach Drivers?

Post by olea2ment »

Driving a coach involves so much more than passing a driving test or indeed learning a prescribed route. Dealing with Hotels, with luggage, making your own route selection, relationships with the customers, unfamiliar locations, responsibility for timings, all make it a different skill set. Bus drivers have a unique skill set too - i personally love the idea of being in my own bed every night but couldn’t do the same thing every day, but that’s just me. Many others enjoy the routine and security of knowing what they’re doing for months ahead. I don’t know what I’m doing on Tuesday yet, part of the thrill of being extremely excited by the potential or disappointing of knowing that I’m doing two hours driving for the day... Horse for courses, but the one thing you can’t teach, is experience. Problem solving on the hoof, biting ones tongue when all you want to do is lamp the tour manager. All skills not taught when passing a test.
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

olea2ment wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:27 pm Driving a coach involves so much more than passing a driving test or indeed learning a prescribed route. Dealing with Hotels, with luggage, making your own route selection, relationships with the customers, unfamiliar locations, responsibility for timings, all make it a different skill set. Bus drivers have a unique skill set too - i personally love the idea of being in my own bed every night but couldn’t do the same thing every day, but that’s just me. Many others enjoy the routine and security of knowing what they’re doing for months ahead. I don’t know what I’m doing on Tuesday yet, part of the thrill of being extremely excited by the potential or disappointing of knowing that I’m doing two hours driving for the day... Horse for courses, but the one thing you can’t teach, is experience. Problem solving on the hoof, biting ones tongue when all you want to do is lamp the tour manager. All skills not taught when passing a test.
You only need to deal with hotels if your doing tours. But personality of a coach driver is important. But that’s not gained with experience. Yes the job gets easier with experience but it’s not necessary.
702_edweacho

Post by 702_edweacho »

136_lewismequ wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:28 pm
olea2ment wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:27 pm Driving a coach involves so much more than passing a driving test or indeed learning a prescribed route. Dealing with Hotels, with luggage, making your own route selection, relationships with the customers, unfamiliar locations, responsibility for timings, all make it a different skill set. Bus drivers have a unique skill set too - i personally love the idea of being in my own bed every night but couldn’t do the same thing every day, but that’s just me. Many others enjoy the routine and security of knowing what they’re doing for months ahead. I don’t know what I’m doing on Tuesday yet, part of the thrill of being extremely excited by the potential or disappointing of knowing that I’m doing two hours driving for the day... Horse for courses, but the one thing you can’t teach, is experience. Problem solving on the hoof, biting ones tongue when all you want to do is lamp the tour manager. All skills not taught when passing a test.
You only need to deal with hotels if your doing tours. But personality of a coach driver is important. But that’s not gained with experience. Yes the job gets easier with experience but it’s not necessary.
Some people like the same shift everyday
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

702_edweacho wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:28 pm
yup. And they are bus drivers 😂
personalth

Post by personalth »

Don’t know what your doing Tuesday? Blimey. My driver didn’t know what he was doing today until I woke him up for a flight divert about an hour back!! 😂
702_edweacho

Post by 702_edweacho »

personalth wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:29 pm

Don’t know what your doing Tuesday? Blimey. My driver didn’t know what he was doing today until I woke him up for a flight divert about an hour back!! 😂
made a joke about it it’s all about learning I still ask people if i am not sure
702_edweacho

Post by 702_edweacho »

personalth wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:29 pm

I like the frill myself
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

never to old to ask.
702_edweacho

Post by 702_edweacho »

136_lewismequ wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:30 pm

never to old to ask.
true I worked in London last year got a job near Portsmouth the group leader asked me if I knew where I was good my reply was never been before but if u know ur input would be great, used google maps and a sat nav never got lost and never panicked
198_satunnie

Post by 198_satunnie »

Back in 2006. I'd been with the buses 2yrs. Phoned a few operators. 2 yrs experience was required. So pretty much gave up. Until one phonecall. Got given a chance. Took it up. Stayed with that company near 8 years. I learned so much with that. Left to join the railway, stayed there for 3 years now back in coaching with a different company. All it takes is one company taking a chance. I'm lucky mine did! Have a lot to thank for. Those in this forum that knows me know what I'm on about! Lol
198_satunnie

Post by 198_satunnie »

I'm glad the company I work for now also employes new drivers. We got one now whom is a pleasure to teach. Right attitude, wants to learn and he will go far. On the other hand we also have an 'experienced' driver. Who's been there done that. Whom dumps the coaches after he's done. Not making any friends. So as an employer, which one would you employ?
Albertec

Post by Albertec »

I WOULD STILL EMPLOY THE EXPERIENCED ONE EVERY TIME NO QUESTION ABOUT IT
Albertec

Post by Albertec »

yes and monkeys can drive better than some of them
Jimlle.com

Post by Jimlle.com »

Ding ding companies recruit inexperienced drivers because they are easier to manipulate and succomb to bully boy management from amateur managers
BoBBercapp

Post by BoBBercapp »

Jimlle.com wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:33 pm Ding ding companies recruit inexperienced drivers because they are easier to manipulate and succomb to bully boy management from amateur managers
Now now. Jim I xan.t believe you.d bully anyone!!!!
Slyly manipulate and cajoul.yes. but bully never
Lmao🤔🦊
garethib

Post by garethib »

Been driving since December no experience in the coaching industry but had my licence since I was 18 with 2 weeks of starting I was off to Spain and now I'm trusted with the newest vehicles in the yard and yes I've put a little scratch on her in Switzerland as a pole for a elec fence was over hanging the kerb but it polished out, I do my fair share of crap work schools in 30 year old deckers etc I don't moan take rough with the smooth I don't want the 5 day tours away from home because I have a young family I've done some day trips and 2 day trips that's good enough for me im happy company's happy there getting more new vehicles in which if 1 is mine brilliant if not don't matter to me.
Attachments
BUS.jpg
BUS.jpg (217.11 KiB) Viewed 93 times

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”