Evening all, How easy is it to run your own truck. What kind of profit/overheads can you expect.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Eng.Rensys

Evening all, How easy is it to run your own truck. What kind of profit/overheads can you expect.

Post by Eng.Rensys »

ricon+skey

Re: Evening all, How easy is it to run your own truck. What kind of profit/overheads can you expect.

Post by ricon+skey »

Less than driving for a good company
andNNovespr

Re: Evening all, How easy is it to run your own truck. What kind of profit/overheads can you expect.

Post by andNNovespr »

I think the biggest problem for owner operators is trying to remain profitable and competitive. Most clients won’t wanna pay what you need to be earning. And companies like Culina and such will just undercut you so much to secure the job you’ll probably be running at a loss. Plus one puncture or breakdown your whole month’s profits could be gone instantly.
it used to be a viable opportunity but I wouldn’t think it is nowadays with rising fuel costs and such
andNNovespr

Post by andNNovespr »

That being said if you can find a niche sector you can work within like my old boss who only did film and tv prop transport. You might be able to survive but will never be smooth sailing
Kieedit

Post by Kieedit »

I’ve seen a couple of owner operators recently parking up or selling and working for someone else. Seems easier all around.
mcIdol

Post by mcIdol »

I have been an owner driver for the last 19 years. It certainly isn’t easy, especially in the current climate. You probably won’t make much more than a employed driver doing nights/weekends, but will have a lot more stress when things don’t go to plan. You will need a operators licence which involves having a suitable parking area, employing an external transport manager (or taking the qualification yourself) and having sufficient funds in the bank. Overheads include insurance (vehicle, GIT, public and employers liability), parking, maintenance, truck finance payments, road tax and transport manager fees.
kevin_evan

Post by kevin_evan »

mcIdol wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:55 pm I have been an owner driver for the last 19 years. It certainly isn’t easy, especially in the current climate. You probably won’t make much more than a employed driver doing nights/weekends, but will have a lot more stress when things don’t go to plan. You will need a operators licence which involves having a suitable parking area, employing an external transport manager (or taking the qualification yourself) and having sufficient funds in the bank. Overheads include insurance (vehicle, GIT, public and employers liability), parking, maintenance, truck finance payments, road tax and transport manager fees.
very informative response. 👍👍
ChurchTips

Post by ChurchTips »

mcIdol wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:55 pm I have been an owner driver for the last 19 years. It certainly isn’t easy, especially in the current climate. You probably won’t make much more than a employed driver doing nights/weekends, but will have a lot more stress when things don’t go to plan. You will need a operators licence which involves having a suitable parking area, employing an external transport manager (or taking the qualification yourself) and having sufficient funds in the bank. Overheads include insurance (vehicle, GIT, public and employers liability), parking, maintenance, truck finance payments, road tax and transport manager fees.
it's definitely not easy, I take my hat off to you, I really do.
That's why some turn to YouTube..
Finding constant contractual work is hard, I did it years ago and then larger companies get involved rates drop and your working for peanuts.
phil_bumper

Post by phil_bumper »

fuel and adblue alone is astronomical
khano-junn

Post by khano-junn »

phil_bumper wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:57 pm
fuel and adblue alone is astronomical
it is I put 700 1000 week easy fuel
SaeedDj

Post by SaeedDj »

Road tax gone up the roof forgot to mention my friend
mcIdol

Post by mcIdol »

SaeedDj wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:58 pm
Road tax gone up the roof forgot to mention my friend
The biggest change has been the reintroduction of the HGV Levy which was suspended during Covid which had led to a massive increase in cost.
GlaGringo

Post by GlaGringo »

Plus mate if you bought a problematic Euro6 and had to take it to a main dealer it would wipe you out in your early days. Gone are the days reliable old motors.
mcIdol

Post by mcIdol »

GlaGringo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:59 pm
Plus mate if you bought a problematic Euro6 and had to take it to a main dealer it would wipe you out in your early days. Gone are the days reliable old motors.
Having a modern truck on R&M is the only way these days.
GlaGringo

Post by GlaGringo »

mcIdol wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:00 pm
GlaGringo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:59 pm
Having a modern truck on R&M is the only way these days.
I can understand that I was a owner driver for ten years. I now work for a main dealer and I see some bills that would have you remortgage your house to pay. And it all started with add blue and regeneration. I started with a 113 Scania 8 year old and bomb proof.
incaRida

Post by incaRida »

Very hard at the moment you need deep pockets and rates are bad
jeronix-llay

Post by jeronix-llay »

incaRida wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:01 pm Very hard at the moment you need deep pockets and rates are bad
rates have been bad for years how companies pay drives a grand a week is beyond me.
jorgin

Post by jorgin »

How bigs your crystal ball
arnoldar

Post by arnoldar »

Don’t even think about it.
Geady_Slav

Post by Geady_Slav »

Problem with owner/ops now, is the massive companies that will take any job for £1 profit.
2000 trucks making £1 profit a drop is over £2000 a day.
On your own, you wanna be making at the very least £1000 a week profit, Amazon/fed ex etc has been fleeced by bigger companies (Mark Thompson, Pringle etc) doing runs for ridiculously crap money, put’s the price down for single operator owners.
I remember a few month back seeing Whites make a post about a backload, think it was an Amazon trailer from Cardiff to Aberdeen or something like, offering £215 for it. Won’t even cover fuel costs that.
Long story short, go LTD find a family run firm & earn £1000 a week and get £5k a year tax rebate. Far better option in this day & age.
denying

Post by denying »

Geady_Slav wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:03 pm Problem with owner/ops now, is the massive companies that will take any job for £1 profit.
On your own, you wanna be making at the very least £1000 a week profit, Amazon/fed ex etc has been fleeced by bigger companies (Mark Thompson, Pringle etc) doing runs for ridiculously crap money, put’s the price down for single operator owners.
I remember a few month back seeing Whites make a post about a backload, think it was an Amazon trailer from Cardiff to Aberdeen or something like, offering £215 for it. Won’t even cover fuel costs that.
Long story short, go LTD find a family run firm & earn £1000 a week and get £5k a year tax rebate. Far better option in this day & age.
where is that family run firm nowadays?:(
jideVivala

Post by jideVivala »

denying wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:04 pm
Geady_Slav wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:03 pm Problem with owner/ops now, is the massive companies that will take any job for £1 profit.
same place the owner ops are, they can’t compete with the big boys doing runs for £1 profit
Geady_Slav

Post by Geady_Slav »

there’s a fair few still knocking about. I know of 3 taking of LTD over £800 a week take home. S&H in Winsford Polaris in Eccles & there’s one in Grantham but i forgot their name. White & Green Scania.
ashse

Post by ashse »

here
denying

Post by denying »

ashse wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:06 pm
here
??
ashse

Post by ashse »

denying wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:06 pm
ashse wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:06 pm

here
??
dm me
Nigemove.Plus

Post by Nigemove.Plus »

you make alot of great points trouble is with family firms (not all) is many of them will try and skirt around safety issues. Ie we will repair the tyre tomorrow just run with it! I’ve worked for two and that’s the main reason I’ve left them now work for a large firm who whilst aren’t perfect but treat us pretty well. Being an owner operator needs deep pockets as you’ve said!
mathin_1935

Post by mathin_1935 »

only way your gonna make a small fortune today with ya own truck is start with a big one
CoCoopcont

Post by CoCoopcont »

I get what you say but a single man operating is much different in terms of overheads so a big company would have a much bigger overhead to satisfy a profit. You could call it/or the opposite of economies of scale.... interesting read 👍🏼
Armstrone

Post by Armstrone »

top advice
Pauland

Post by Pauland »

My son wanted to do it he looked right into it and didn't bother to many people undercutting you to make progress
andros9

Post by andros9 »

Profit, None if you cant get the work.
jeandspo

Post by jeandspo »

Current climate not worth it.
If it’s something you really want to do then bide your time see how things go next 2-3 yrs
Mikender

Post by Mikender »

Very easy . Do it. Let us know how you get on
Stefanota

Post by Stefanota »

Answer it’s not Easy
Armstrone

Post by Armstrone »

I’ve been an owner/Operator for 24 years and have gone from me on my own doing everything including being the transport manager and mechanic with a 10 year old truck to…
I now have 5 trucks all bought new and pay 7 full time wages so it is possible but boy…… not an easy task and even harder in the current economic climate so do yourself a favour and properly research your business plan before selling everything you own and sinking it into a haulage business that could make you a millionaire but more likely you will die broke and a lot younger than an hourly paid cards in driver!!!
NICONNAC

Post by NICONNAC »

Armstrone wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:13 pm I’ve been an owner/Operator for 24 years and have gone from me on my own doing everything including being the transport manager and mechanic with a 10 year old truck to…
I now have 5 trucks all bought new and pay 7 full time wages so it is possible but boy…… not an easy task and even harder in the current economic climate so do yourself a favour and properly research your business plan before selling everything you own and sinking it into a haulage business that could make you a millionaire but more likely you will die broke and a lot younger than an hourly paid cards in driver!!!
you seen a happy man! Good luck with everything love your company name 🤣
sinares846

Post by sinares846 »

Armstrone wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:13 pm I’ve been an owner/Operator for 24 years and have gone from me on my own doing everything including being the transport manager and mechanic with a 10 year old truck to…
definitely more money in the rigids than artics in my experience. Too many at the artic game
Armstrone

Post by Armstrone »

sinares846 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:14 pm
definitely more money in the rigids than artics in my experience. Too many at the artic game
spot on
David55

Post by David55 »

👏👏👏
joweeDium

Post by joweeDium »

well done fella, I genuinely take my hat off to guys like you, I've seen your trucks up and down the country and I honestly thought it was one of the big companies💪👍
garrubb74

Post by garrubb74 »

Leave ya money in the bank you will make more profit
spru+ondo

Post by spru+ondo »

Like Armstrone has said previously research what you need ,Operators licence requirements , ,funds what funds you require to start , ie truck purchase , insurance , Goods in Transit insurance , third party liability insurance , enough funds to pay for repairs ,tyres, fuel for your first 3 months , I believe DVSA require you to have £8000 in place ,plus some companies may make you wait 3 months from date of invoice before they pay you ,so think about it carefully of all the lads I've known in over 40 yrs of driving I can count on one hand those that are still going .
thomari

Post by thomari »

Don’t do it used to myself take a tip
grambyro

Post by grambyro »

If you break even you are lucky find other routes mate to earning £
andy.thogen

Post by andy.thogen »

Go to bank borrow 20k set fire to the 20k pay the loan it will be cheaper.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Buy a van easier
clayrooDas

Post by clayrooDas »

My sons have been pushing me to buy another truck but working for peanuts and trying to compete with Stobarts ,wrs and Cullinaits going to be hard work your better buying property or some land you can rent out
Dojo1722

Post by Dojo1722 »

Friends of mine done it and is doing really well just long to get there and not even money it's red tape
ian_tom

Post by ian_tom »

You will make more money if you were an agency driver
Kelthoof

Post by Kelthoof »

My honest opinion buy a rigid that's where the money seems to be at the .moment or buy a van
ashnan

Post by ashnan »

500/700 pounds a day 2500/3000 earnings
1500 a week diesel
1000 driver wages
400 truck
Insurances 250 a week
Not much profit if any ???
BondBel

Post by BondBel »

It's not easy 🤷🏽‍♀️ it's bloody hard work!
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

Geady_Slav wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:03 pm
Reckon these must be old posts.
Being Ltd driver for an operator is seen as fronting by the operator and it would be a challenge for the Ltd driver to prove the Ltd Co has appropriate insurance etc.
anyone still working as a Ltd driver to an operator is on dodgy ground.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”