Hi everyone, question is it worth it becoming an owner driver, thinking about doing it but unsure.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
KELLOVEN

Hi everyone, question is it worth it becoming an owner driver, thinking about doing it but unsure.

Post by KELLOVEN »

Ianywac

Re: Hi everyone, question is it worth it becoming an owner driver, thinking about doing it but unsure.

Post by Ianywac »

Don't do it ! 5and a half days working the truck, half a day Cleaning it and greasing, one day doing paperwork! What's to like?
KELLOVEN

Re: Hi everyone, question is it worth it becoming an owner driver, thinking about doing it but unsure.

Post by KELLOVEN »

Ianywac wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:39 pm Don't do it ! 5and a half days working the truck, half a day Cleaning it and greasing, one day doing paperwork! What's to like?
haha you make it sound very appealing 😂 more money then driving for someone else I guess is where my focus is
ohallo

Post by ohallo »

KELLOVEN wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:39 pm
Ianywac wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:39 pm Don't do it ! 5and a half days working the truck, half a day Cleaning it and greasing, one day doing paperwork! What's to like?
haha you make it sound very appealing 😂 more money then driving for someone else I guess is where my focus is
you only need a blow out your money gone for the week and any other brake downs then all week under it
Ianywac

Post by Ianywac »

absolutely, if it breaks you still get paid, not having to worry about the bill! I can only speak from experience, some people may cry me down, I worked for a company and the truck broke down on Saturday lunch time, not repaired until Monday evening, I still got paid! They picked up the repair tab!
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

if ya car has a blow out . Or needs 1ks worth if work..that's comes out if your wages? So your a few weeks down are you not?
Everything comes from wages earned.. nothing gets fixed for free!
tephen

Post by tephen »

dont know what company you work for but we dont get paid if we break down and are off the road for days or even 1 day
Ianywac

Post by Ianywac »

tephen wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:46 pm
dont know what company you work for but we dont get paid if we break down and are off the road for days or even 1 day
obvs a better one than you!
tephen

Post by tephen »

Ianywac wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:46 pm
we dont even get a like for like on holiday pay 400 for a weeks holiday but we take home 500 a week... crazy
Ianywac

Post by Ianywac »

we dont even get a like for like on holiday pay 400 for a weeks holiday but we take home 500 a week... crazy
holiday pay was sorted out years ago, if yours isn't an average of 17 weeks money they are breaking employment law!
Aliserco

Post by Aliserco »

if you are self motivated and enjoy it and can get a decent rate why not? Damage to a truck is usually caused by the driver. Don’t look at what you make in a week that’s short sighted you need to look at what you make in a year sure you will have punctures breakdowns and other problems. You’ll need £20k to get started buy an old vehicle to begin with for maybe 6 months see how you go if it doesn’t work for you it’s less expensive to bail out. Do your paperwork in the cab on an iPad or your phone anytime sitting waiting check over truck what you can. Torque wheels by doing an axle a day gives you Friday off it. Should earn yourself a good wage and have weekends off if you work hard through the week.
tephen

Post by tephen »

Ianywac wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:47 pm

holiday pay was sorted out years ago, if yours isn't an average of 17 weeks money they are breaking employment law!
honestly im not sure if it is or not but relentless they really do not care.
Ianywac

Post by Ianywac »

tephen wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:48 pm

I personally wouldn't work there! Those are common complaints throughout the industry. Pleased i have now retired!
tephen

Post by tephen »

Ianywac wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:49 pm

I personally wouldn't work there! Those are common complaints throughout the industry. Pleased i have now retired!
when you have a family to provide for you have to bite the bullet. Believe it or not this is better than 3years ago it was horrendous then. However i hear you 100%
Ianywac

Post by Ianywac »

tephen wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:49 pm

when you have a family to provide for you have to bite the bullet. Believe it or not this is better than 3years ago it was horrendous then. However i hear you 100%
been there mate, know what you're saying!
tephen

Post by tephen »

Ianywac wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:50 pm
tephen wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:49 pm

been there mate, know what you're saying!
just a arse in the seat budy . You kno the1
neller

Post by neller »

Have your tablets stopped working ????
KELLOVEN

Post by KELLOVEN »

neller wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:52 pm Have your tablets stopped working ????
haha there’s always money in something lads tell you not to go at 😂
neller

Post by neller »

KELLOVEN wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:53 pm
neller wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:52 pm Have your tablets stopped working ????
haha there’s always money in something lads tell you not to go at 😂
go for it so! Don't say you weren't told. 👍👍
teepea

Post by teepea »

Do it , it’s Hard work pal but at least it for yourself and what the worst can happen you can always work for someone else if it don’t work out 💪🏽
Markinol

Post by Markinol »

I had black hair when I was an employee 18 months ago now I’m as white as snow but smiling looking at my new…..
gefizz

Post by gefizz »

If you don’t try it out you’ll always be wondering
Give it a go nothing ventured nothing gained best of luck 👍
Simmore

Post by Simmore »

Good luck 🍀 as most are getting out of it you must be of your head 😀
PpaulAce

Post by PpaulAce »

Been owner driver for 27yrs been on me arse few times but ive survived. Seen few come and go with big ideas ,if you want big fancy truck and big wages work for some one else
MaKenji

Post by MaKenji »

PpaulAce wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:56 pm Been owner driver for 27yrs been on me arse few times but ive survived. Seen few come and go with big ideas ,if you want big fancy truck and big wages work for some one else
wise words but true
jeandspo

Post by jeandspo »

Current climate no. Lots struggling to find work out there and most rates are extremely low
stepiden636

Post by stepiden636 »

The price of tyres we have just bought , I might think again.
Danny_wiak

Post by Danny_wiak »

Let's not get carried away now driver.
Someone many years ago when I had my first own lorry at about 24 years old.
Dan must great having your own truck. What's it like ?
I simply said when I'm not driving it I'm fixing it, when I'm not fixing it I'm chasing money for it. Retired bad health at 55
McMarson

Post by McMarson »

Leave the headache to someone else that's what I say 🤔
Stevelinfo

Post by Stevelinfo »

Better buying a 8 wheeler grab truck and get working in utilities. Shortage of trucks and loads of work with fibre works
d5aniellcy

Post by d5aniellcy »

Great idea really bad timing
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

Yes go for it, a couple of weeks later you’ll be the proud owner of a raptor pick up and Range Rover sport and you’ll wander why you didn’t go for it earlier
Navaris

Post by Navaris »

Frankho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:01 pm Yes go for it, a couple of weeks later you’ll be the proud owner of a raptor pick up and Range Rover sport and you’ll wander why you didn’t go for it earlier
guess ur not doing 2 bad then..
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

Navaris wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:01 pm
Frankho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:01 pm Yes go for it, a couple of weeks later you’ll be the proud owner of a raptor pick up and Range Rover sport and you’ll wander why you didn’t go for it earlier
guess ur not doing 2 bad then..
just a vermin driver
jamily

Post by jamily »

Run now mate unless u got thousands in the bank for a rainy day or 3
ExEast

Post by ExEast »

Are the comments saying no from from ex owner drivers ??? I’ve been at it 15 years now and had a good living. You only get out what you’re prepared to put in. That’s my experience. Have a go. Regret something you’ve done rather than something you haven’t
cliexpr

Post by cliexpr »

ExEast wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:04 pm Are the comments saying no from from ex owner drivers ??? I’ve been at it 15 years now and had a good living. You only get out what you’re prepared to put in. That’s my experience. Have a go. Regret something you’ve done rather than something you haven’t
My comments come from being an ex OD. There used to be a good living until they took away transfer payments, stopped the Sunday rates and classed it as a normal day. When they tried to cut the night shift payments that's when I said enough is enough and got out. Everyone I know is struggling and wants out. Heading in to a recession it couldn't be a worse time to start.
Padraigen

Post by Padraigen »

Go for it, if it doesn't work you can always come back to the valley😂
paux

Post by paux »

When you go owner driver stick an extra nought on all your bills
Alanex

Post by Alanex »

How to make a small fortune in road haulage....
Start with a big fortune...
Go to the pub and drink untill this daft idea vanishes.... If it returns, repeat
Tobiner

Post by Tobiner »

Alanex wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:06 pm How to make a small fortune in road haulage....
Start with a big fortune...
Go to the pub and drink untill this daft idea vanishes.... If it returns, repeat
like that one 🤣
simon_shin

Post by simon_shin »

The jobs f**ked now,to many obstacles and rules mate,firms seem to be paying desent wages these days
wayne.22

Post by wayne.22 »

Course it is we don't do it for nothing 🤣
BlakeYake

Post by BlakeYake »

I think the day of the owner driver is gone now
kenrria

Post by kenrria »

No way mate, it will ruin your life and you won’t sleep
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

kenrria wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:10 pm No way mate, it will ruin your life and you won’t sleep
I sleep pretty well tbf and go gym in evenings.. and spend time with Mrs. What's your excuse?
kenrria

Post by kenrria »

mountainNate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:11 pm
kenrria wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:10 pm No way mate, it will ruin your life and you won’t sleep
I sleep pretty well tbf and go gym in evenings.. and spend time with Mrs. What's your excuse?
I was just saying if you go on your own don’t be surprised if you’ve still got a Mrs in 9 months time, because you will be to knackered to show her any affection, and these women don’t like that. Just saying
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

kenrria wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:11 pm
I was just saying if you go on your own don’t be surprised if you’ve still got a Mrs in 9 months time, because you will be to knackered to show her any affection, and these women don’t like that. Just saying
must be with the wrong Mrs then. It helps having 1 who has same interest
kenrria

Post by kenrria »

What she owns her own Truck and goes to the gym??
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

kenrria wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:12 pm

she comes with me on a Saturday morning and helps me clean it. check it over. Then we'll go out for a bite to eat in the area. 👍
kenrria

Post by kenrria »

mountainNate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:12 pm

she comes with me on a Saturday morning and helps me clean it. check it over. Then we'll go out for a bite to eat in the area. 👍
very nice 👍
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

very nice 👍
saves wasting a day. May aswell make most of it.
kenrria

Post by kenrria »

mountainNate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:13 pm

very nice 👍
saves wasting a day. May aswell make most of it.
totally agreed man
robert_road

Post by robert_road »

One tip buy the best tyres u can afford
treZap8

Post by treZap8 »

robert_road wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:14 pm One tip buy the best tyres u can afford
Correct. For the toughest work you need the best kit.
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

robert_road wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:14 pm One tip buy the best tyres u can afford
so when the rebar goes straight through it you can whinge!!
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

Frankho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:15 pm
so when the rebar goes straight through it you can whinge!!
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (579.33 KiB) Viewed 306 times
stuartKid

Post by stuartKid »

Been there was good don’t bother forget it never make any money soon as you get some in the bank the lorry is worn out now you can get £18 ph working for someone else
Bisheels

Post by Bisheels »

stuartKid wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:17 pm Been there was good don’t bother forget it never make any money soon as you get some in the bank the lorry is worn out now you can get £18 ph working for someone else
bin there done that would not bother again to many trying to cut the rates to take your work away from you
Samsca

Post by Samsca »

stuartKid wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:17 pm Been there was good don’t bother forget it never make any money soon as you get some in the bank the lorry is worn out now you can get £18 ph working for someone else
You can’t make no money at it yet can still make good money doin it for someone else. 🤷🏼‍♂️. Great advice
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

I started 4 month ago. Won't become a millionaire overnight. but can live comfortably. All depends on outgoings etc weigh costs up do the maths, ask around what others are roughly earning per day and see if it's worth it..
I did as got no 1 to answer to or speak to ya like sh*t or always pushing .. (as some companies do). Just me on my own and I'm happy 👍
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

All these saying no, are they ex owners?
Simmore

Post by Simmore »

mountainNate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:19 pm All these saying no, are they ex owners?
yep
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

Simmore wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:19 pm
mountainNate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:19 pm All these saying no, are they ex owners?
yep
doubt it lol
kenrria

Post by kenrria »

of course I’m an ex owner driver, I wouldn’t be saying what I’ve said if I wasn’t d**khead
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

kenrria wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:20 pm
of course I’m an ex owner driver, I wouldn’t be saying what I’ve said if I wasn’t d**khead
ooh strong words.
kenrria

Post by kenrria »

mountainNate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:21 pm
kenrria wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:20 pm
ooh strong words.
If the Cap fits, just saying
Les.Buddie

Post by Les.Buddie »

Started 40 years ago with Fick all I’ve still got half of it left
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

What's wrong with washing ya wagon on a weekend or every other weekend? At least it's your truck your cleaning and taking care of and not gettin paid to clean someone else's.
I take my Mrs with me ,she doesn't mind helping out. Helped me check every wheel nut at weekend. Some weekends she helps me wash it.
I enjoy it. Like I enjoy washing my car and keeping that clean. No difference 👍
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

mountainNate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:22 pm What's wrong with washing ya wagon on a weekend or every other weekend? At least it's your truck your cleaning and taking care of and not gettin paid to clean someone else's.
I take my Mrs with me ,she doesn't mind helping out. Helped me check every wheel nut at weekend. Some weekends she helps me wash it.
hope you put your tacho in and left it on cross hammers?
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

Frankho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:23 pm
mountainNate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:22 pm What's wrong with washing ya wagon on a weekend or every other weekend? At least it's your truck your cleaning and taking care of and not gettin paid to clean someone else's.
yup. 👍
mountainNate

Post by mountainNate »

Frankho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:23 pm
keeps me on straight and narrow 👍 Plus I'm "working" 🤪😆
Adampu

Post by Adampu »

Be quick. They are changing the Operator Licence Rules again next year, plus it's going to be mandatory to upload your Live banking to TC every 6 months to prove you have the required money in the bank at all times for how many Vehicles you have.
Frankho

Post by Frankho »

Adampu wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:24 pm Be quick. They are changing the Operator Licence Rules again next year, plus it's going to be mandatory to upload your Live banking to TC every 6 months to prove you have the required money in the bank at all times for how many Vehicles you have.
where did you get this from?

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”