Someone asked me today whats the difference between a coach driver and a bus driver. My answer a bus driver, drives

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
BuzzBarry

Someone asked me today whats the difference between a coach driver and a bus driver. My answer a bus driver, drives

Post by BuzzBarry »

Someone asked me today whats the difference between a coach driver and a bus driver. My answer a bus driver, drives from A to B as quick as they can whereas a coach driver works out how much money they can earn between A and B.
Wesy_gnoxa

Re: Someone asked me today whats the difference between a coach driver and a bus driver. My answer a bus driver, drives

Post by Wesy_gnoxa »

A coach driver carries passengers that want to be there.
A bus driver carries passengers that need to be there.
And boy does it show in their attitudes (I've done both jobs for my sins).
connex

Re: Someone asked me today whats the difference between a coach driver and a bus driver. My answer a bus driver, drives

Post by connex »

So what commission does a coach driver make selling extras for the company haha
VAUGRUNO

Post by VAUGRUNO »

Quite obviously a bus driver knows A,what time they start/finish B,when their days off are and holidays (a foreign concept) to coach drivers C,where they're going by an accessible route and D,how much they're getting paid and when. Note how none of the above apply to coach drivers!
parkDictator

Post by parkDictator »

VAUGRUNO wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:57 pm Quite obviously a bus driver knows A,what time they start/finish B,when their days off are and holidays (a foreign concept) to coach drivers C,where they're going by an accessible route and D,how much they're getting paid and when. Note how none of the above apply to coach drivers!
All true.
LAURERHO

Post by LAURERHO »

VAUGRUNO wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:57 pm Quite obviously a bus driver knows A,what time they start/finish B,when their days off are and holidays (a foreign concept) to coach drivers C,where they're going by an accessible route and D,how much they're getting paid and when. Note how none of the above apply to coach drivers!
Usually finish late or later than expected if breakdowns delays etc but I couldn't do coaches
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

what about drivers driving coaches that are called buses?
Wesy_gnoxa

Post by Wesy_gnoxa »

trewayerJigg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:00 pm what about drivers driving coaches that are called buses?
They're called Roadies 😛
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

Wesy_gnoxa wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:01 pm
trewayerJigg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:00 pm what about drivers driving coaches that are called buses?
They're called Roadies 😛
I'm not a roadie
Wesy_gnoxa

Post by Wesy_gnoxa »

trewayerJigg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:01 pm
They're called Roadies 😛
I'm not a roadie
Well y'aint a bus driver neither 😃
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

Wesy_gnoxa wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:02 pm

They're called Roadies 😛
I'm not a roadie
I'm a campervan driver
Wesy_gnoxa

Post by Wesy_gnoxa »

trewayerJigg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:02 pm

I'm not a roadie
I'm a campervan driver
lol nice, and i'm currently a chair driver I guess 🙁
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

Wesy_gnoxa wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:03 pm

I'm a campervan driver
Transport consultant
Wesy_gnoxa

Post by Wesy_gnoxa »

trewayerJigg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:03 pm
Wesy_gnoxa wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:03 pm

I'm a campervan driver
Transport consultant
Now the only consulting I do is when people ask how my bike is or if it's been repaired yet.
Wesy_gnoxa

Post by Wesy_gnoxa »

LAURERHO wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:04 pm They are all buses
Actually in they eyes of the law they're not, even though it's the same license to drive both.
LAURERHO

Post by LAURERHO »

Wesy_gnoxa wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:04 pm
Actually in they eyes of the law they're not, even though it's the same license to drive both.
In the eyes of the paperwork they are all buses
Wesy_gnoxa

Post by Wesy_gnoxa »

LAURERHO wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:05 pm
Nope even the paperwork is different 😛 Most busses are subject to UK domestic rules only as opposed to ALL coaches being subject to EU rules.
LAURERHO

Post by LAURERHO »

Wesy_gnoxa wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:05 pm

Nope even the paperwork is different 😛 Most busses are subject to UK domestic rules only as opposed to ALL coaches being subject to EU rules.
Not all coaches are ours aren't unless on private hires
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

And there's the difference. A coach is a bus when it's being used on a scheduled stage carriage service. Otherwise it's a coach (meaning it dosn't have the same exemptions as a bus).
elsto5ixio

Post by elsto5ixio »

The V5 for a coach describes it as a bus.
And it's only in Britain and Ireland where coaches are called coaches.
And I call mine a bus all the time.
goird-1483

Post by goird-1483 »

Mostly coach driver decides the route, runs after pax trying to earn a tip, gives commentary, handles luggage, convinces pax they care, sells optional, checks into ferries, hotels etc etc
BerisLoon

Post by BerisLoon »

goird-1483 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:07 pm Mostly coach driver decides the route, runs after pax trying to earn a tip, gives commentary, handles luggage, convinces pax they care, sells optional, checks into ferries, hotels etc etc
Washes and keeps his coach clean inside and out.
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

goird-1483 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:07 pm Mostly coach driver decides the route, runs after pax trying to earn a tip, gives commentary, handles luggage, convinces pax they care, sells optional, checks into ferries, hotels etc etc
The buses I drive are cleaner than most coaches
birkla.2073

Post by birkla.2073 »

Coach drivers can use reverse gear
LAURERHO

Post by LAURERHO »

birkla.2073 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:10 pm Coach drivers can use reverse gear
So can bus drivers how do you think they go backwards
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

The difference depends on what type of work they are doing. Domestic UK rules apply to registered stage carriage services or school services which then are classed as 'bus' work. So a coach doing such work becomes the same as a 'bus' legally speaking. However on tour, excursion or private hire work, this comes under EU rules so the roles can be reversed... A bus can become a coach providing of course they have tacho fitted.
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

Nee_Anarchy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:13 pm The difference depends on what type of work they are doing. Domestic UK rules apply to registered stage carriage services or school services which then are classed as 'bus' work. So a coach doing such work becomes the same as a 'bus' legally speaking. However on tour, excursion or private hire work, this comes under EU rules so the roles can be reversed... A bus can become a coach providing of course they have tacho fitted.
What about buses that look like coaches?
Wesy_gnoxa

Post by Wesy_gnoxa »

Nee_Anarchy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:13 pm The difference depends on what type of work they are doing. Domestic UK rules apply to registered stage carriage services or school services which then are classed as 'bus' work. So a coach doing such work becomes the same as a 'bus' legally speaking. However on tour, excursion or private hire work, this comes under EU rules so the roles can be reversed... A bus can become a coach providing of course they have tacho fitted.
Or coaches that look like buses?
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

Wesy_gnoxa wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:14 pm
Or coaches that look like buses?
What about it? Matters not is the simple answer. The main question is what type of work they are doing. For example if you drive a coach on stage carriage work, you don't need to use a tacho. But for anything else then obviously you do.
339Davidones

Post by 339Davidones »

depends on the distance
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

339Davidones wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:15 pm
depends on the distance
True but I'm talking most case scenarios. Coach work requires a tacho no matter what. Stage carriage within (I think) 50km of base dosn't.
kei+pneacn

Post by kei+pneacn »

Factually not correct, if you do private hire EU for one day, you are then bound by those rules regarding record keeping for 28 days .... so technically your still a coach driver not a bus driver, and most coach companies when doing school runs, charge the parents direct not the local authority so therefore every run is private hire
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

kei+pneacn wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:16 pm
Factually not correct, if you do private hire EU for one day, you are then bound by those rules regarding record keeping for 28 days .... so technically your still a coach driver not a bus driver, and most coach companies when doing school runs, charge the parents direct not the local authority so therefore every run is private hire
can you provide a link to the appropriate reqs that say a driver is bound to EU rules for 28 days by doing a private hire as well as stage carriage? Only I can't find such a reg. The only reference I can find is that if you drive as a "bus driver" and part of your duty is private hire, you then are bound for the appropriate rules for that day or week.
kei+pneacn

Post by kei+pneacn »

Nee_Anarchy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:16 pm
can you provide a link to the appropriate reqs that say a driver is bound to EU rules for 28 days by doing a private hire as well as stage carriage? Only I can't find such a reg. The only reference I can find is that if you drive as a "bus driver" and part of your duty is private hire, you then are bound for the appropriate rules for that day or week.
please read Driver's Hours and Tachograph Rules: Buses and Coaches (PSV375) section 3 Mixed EU/AETR and GB domestic driving sub section 3.4 Records
kei+pneacn

Post by kei+pneacn »

A lot of people see this as open to 'interpretation' but you cross VOSA or one of the international equivalents, and you can't produce a 28 day record .... well that's your choice.
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

kei+pneacn wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:17 pm

A lot of people see this as open to 'interpretation' but you cross VOSA or one of the international equivalents, and you can't produce a 28 day record .... well that's your choice.
Having read the section (as you suggested), it did not correspond with what you said originally; that you must stay on EU rules for 28 days. I note that you have now edited that post. Having worked at a bus company that also did private hire, the rules were that you could do part of a stage carriage duty and then do a private hire (obviously in the latter, the vehicle has to have a tacho) but although you obviously retained the tacho chart (as they were then) for 28 days, it didn't mean that you could only operate under EU rules for 28 days. No records are required when operating on UK Domestic (as the rules state) BUT i assume that you could refer to the running card/way bill of which a stage carriage service will have, in the event of any investigation from the DVSA.
kei+pneacn

Post by kei+pneacn »

Nee_Anarchy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:18 pm

Having read the section (as you suggested), it did not correspond with what you said originally; that you must stay on EU rules for 28 days. I note that you have now edited that post. Having worked at a bus company that also did private hire, the rules were that you could do part of a stage carriage duty and then do a private hire (obviously in the latter, the vehicle has to have a tacho) but although you obviously retained the tacho chart (as they were then) for 28 days, it didn't mean that you could only operate under EU rules for 28 days. No records are required when operating on UK Domestic (as the rules state) BUT i assume that you could refer to the running card/way bill of which a stage carriage service will have, in the event of any investigation from the DVSA.
I do apologise, when I read my OP back it was misleading, I was always taught and in CPC that if you work on any EU shift you should keep a full record for 28 days, that way you know you have covered every base.... Bus Drivers in General will never use a Tacho so never enter into the potential minefield (Unless they are doing a service that does operate under EU) (few and far between) as a coach driver..... why wouldn't you protect yourself. As I said earlier most coach companies that operate 'school runs' are actually classed as Private Hire ..... I know I prefer my records fully completed especially when going onto the continent
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

kei+pneacn wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:18 pm

I do apologise, when I read my OP back it was misleading, I was always taught and in CPC that if you work on any EU shift you should keep a full record for 28 days, that way you know you have covered every base.... Bus Drivers in General will never use a Tacho so never enter into the potential minefield (Unless they are doing a service that does operate under EU) (few and far between) as a coach driver..... why wouldn't you protect yourself. As I said earlier most coach companies that operate 'school runs' are actually classed as Private Hire ..... I know I prefer my records fully completed especially when going onto the continent
No need to apologise... with all the "grey areas" in our industry, it's no wonder we sometimes interpret the many many rules and regs incorrectly sometimes. But most big bus companies will have a certain number of DP vehicles (dual purpose/tacho equipped) in their fleet so it follows that they have drivers who operate under both domestic and EU regs occasionally.
kei+pneacn

Post by kei+pneacn »

Nee_Anarchy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:19 pm
kei+pneacn wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:18 pm

No need to apologise... with all the "grey areas" in our industry, it's no wonder we sometimes interpret the many many rules and regs incorrectly sometimes. But most big bus companies will have a certain number of DP vehicles (dual purpose/tacho equipped) in their fleet so it follows that they have drivers who operate under both domestic and EU regs occasionally.
and also amazing how many of these big companies flaunt the rules, and as the drivers are generally relying on sheet clerks etc to keep them right, so many fall foul of the law ... interesting points of views. thanks
Johitex-rae

Post by Johitex-rae »

Bus driver stops at bus stops. Coach driver stops at hotels.
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

Johitex-rae wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:20 pm Bus driver stops at bus stops. Coach driver stops at hotels.
I drive a bus and stop at hotels
Johitex-rae

Post by Johitex-rae »

trewayerJigg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:20 pm
Johitex-rae wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:20 pm Bus driver stops at bus stops. Coach driver stops at hotels.
Then like me you don't take this shit too serious.
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

Johitex-rae wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:21 pm
trewayerJigg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:20 pm
Then like me you don't take this shit too serious.
Nope, I get somewhere and leave the bus with people on sometimes
GAREFORMLA

Post by GAREFORMLA »

A coach driver gets less pay than a bus driver
LAURERHO

Post by LAURERHO »

GAREFORMLA wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:21 pm A coach driver gets less pay than a bus driver
Yeah but more tips
GAREFORMLA

Post by GAREFORMLA »

LAURERHO wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:22 pm
GAREFORMLA wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:21 pm A coach driver gets less pay than a bus driver
Yeah but more tips
Not round here. Your lucky if you get told to not eat yellow snow
LAURERHO

Post by LAURERHO »

GAREFORMLA wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:23 pm
Yeah but more tips
That's a good tip
GAREFORMLA

Post by GAREFORMLA »

LAURERHO wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:23 pm
GAREFORMLA wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:23 pm

Yeah but more tips
That's a good tip
Not as good a £10
ferg7dros

Post by ferg7dros »

I drive both, I like both, simples 😊
Annic-Vano

Post by Annic-Vano »

Buses don't have seatbelts!
Most 'coach' drivers refer to their coach as a coach unless they need to use a bus stop!
edwan+rogs

Post by edwan+rogs »

Annic-Vano wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:25 pm Buses don't have seatbelts!
Most 'coach' drivers refer to their coach as a coach unless they need to use a bus stop!
Wrong...there are buses kitted out with seatbelts for schools....
Annic-Vano

Post by Annic-Vano »

edwan+rogs wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:28 pm
Annic-Vano wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:25 pm Buses don't have seatbelts!
Wrong...there are buses kitted out with seatbelts for schools....
That's good to hear!! I think it's so wrong that 'most' buses don't have seat belts, ours don't here 😢
OWENDISU

Post by OWENDISU »

mmmm what about a band bus driver ??????
Nee_Anarchy

Post by Nee_Anarchy »

OWENDISU wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:31 pm mmmm what about a band bus driver ??????
Shouldn't be driving if banned 😁
OWENDISU

Post by OWENDISU »

Nee_Anarchy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:31 pm
OWENDISU wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:31 pm mmmm what about a band bus driver ??????
Shouldn't be driving if banned 😁
Lol
Holmessf

Post by Holmessf »

I used to drive this. It is called The John Lennon Educational Tour BUS. We always called it 'the bus'.
Needed a truck licence to drive it though... bit confusing!
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (100.81 KiB) Viewed 217 times
tolli_2074

Post by tolli_2074 »

Never done ding ding service in my life been driving since 1970,the difference friend is we smile, we have a toilet on board and there just sh*t house drivers like I've seen of so called coach drivers, whom have come from buses and think they know it all
tolli_2074

Post by tolli_2074 »

Some drivers need to check a dictionary to see what difference there is because it seems there still not educated,
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

tolli_2074 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:35 pm Some drivers need to check a dictionary to see what difference there is because it seems there still not educated,
They're?
Wesy_gnoxa

Post by Wesy_gnoxa »

trewayerJigg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:35 pm
tolli_2074 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:35 pm Some drivers need to check a dictionary to see what difference there is because it seems there still not educated,
They're?
There are not there is 😃
GreGreed

Post by GreGreed »

Bus Drivers don't have to talk or even acknowledge there passengers and are nowadays kept in a glass box Coach drivers have to keep there customers happy or they'd be out of a job and don't have a glass box when it does go wrong.
Benddi69

Post by Benddi69 »

Bus driver from Leeds, so true lol,

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”