CAN ANY ONE ADVISE ME ON THE OPERATOR THING? I HAVE A 5 TONNE VEHICLE TRANSPORTER WHICH I USE FOR MY CAR SALES

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Aldus_Hyce

CAN ANY ONE ADVISE ME ON THE OPERATOR THING? I HAVE A 5 TONNE VEHICLE TRANSPORTER WHICH I USE FOR MY CAR SALES

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

I HAVE A 5 TONNE VEHICLE TRANSPORTER WHICH I USE FOR MY CAR SALES BUSINESS.
I HAVE BEEN STOPPED AND FINED AND TOLD I NEED TO COMPLETE MY CPC AND GET TACO CARD AND I NEED A OPERATERS CERTIFICATE OR SOME THING.
I HAVE NOW GOT MY TACO CARD AND ENROLLED TO DO THE 35 HOURS CPC ONLINE. CAN ANY ONE ADVISE ME ON THE OPERATOR THING?
Russvillo

Re: CAN ANY ONE ADVISE ME ON THE OPERATOR THING? I HAVE A 5 TONNE VEHICLE TRANSPORTER WHICH I USE FOR MY CAR SALES

Post by Russvillo »

You need an operators licence. As you will be carrying other people's goods. You need to employ a transport manager where in the country are you based?
Aldus_Hyce

Re: CAN ANY ONE ADVISE ME ON THE OPERATOR THING? I HAVE A 5 TONNE VEHICLE TRANSPORTER WHICH I USE FOR MY CAR SALES

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

Russvillo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:37 pm You need an operators licence. As you will be carrying other people's goods. You need to employ a transport manager where in the country are you based?
I'm based in Luton, the goods belong to me. The ownership of delivered vehicles is only done after delivery
Phillero

Post by Phillero »

Aldus_Hyce wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:37 pm
Russvillo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:37 pm You need an operators licence. As you will be carrying other people's goods. You need to employ a transport manager where in the country are you based?
I'm based in Luton, the goods belong to me. The ownership of delivered vehicles is only done after delivery
they don’t pay a deposit?
Aldus_Hyce

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

Phillero wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:38 pm
yes they pay a refundable deposit. But ownership is not changed until the vehicle is delivered and they are satisfied with everything. So after it's delivered and I then receive payment then ownership is transferred
Hussinfo464

Post by Hussinfo464 »

Aldus_Hyce wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:40 pm

yes they pay a refundable deposit. But ownership is not changed until the vehicle is delivered and they are satisfied with everything. So after it's delivered and I then receive payment then ownership is transferred
you need standard Operators License Bro. As you also charge for deliveries. It will save you lots of grief if you get standard license Bro
colinvest

Post by colinvest »

can you in good conscience say that you are basically transporting your car to somewhere for someone to view it before considering whether they purchase it or not? I.e, you take it to their house, look at it and say, "actually no, I don't want to buy that" and you take it back again?
Other than not following the rules of operating a larger vehicle, I'm going to say this... I'm glad you aren't delivering on a 3.5 car transporter. Once you have your operators licence, you can operate a safer vehicle all legit.
Aldus_Hyce

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

colinvest wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:41 pm

can you in good conscience say that you are basically transporting your car to somewhere for someone to view it before considering whether they purchase it or not? I.e, you take it to their house, look at it and say, "actually no, I don't want to buy that" and you take it back again?
Other than not following the rules of operating a larger vehicle, I'm going to say this... I'm glad you aren't delivering on a 3.5 car transporter. Once you have your operators licence, you can operate a safer vehicle all legit.
iv never had a potential customer turn a car away. Before I deliver the a detailed video is sent so I only deliver when I'm 99% confident of a sale.
Russvillo

Post by Russvillo »

TC won't see it like that. You will need a standard national o licence and a transport manager.
Dalebber

Post by Dalebber »

A lot depends on what you are actually doing. If you are transporting your own goods and not carrying anything belonging to anyone else you should only need a restricted licence that doesn’t need a transport managers qualification. But this means nothing for hire or reward and your own goods. I can see the sticking point here being if you have sold a vehicle to somebody then deliver it you would be carrying something that doesn’t belong to you so that would need a std licence requiring a transport managers qualification.
Aldus_Hyce

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

Dalebber wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:45 pm A lot depends on what you are actually doing. If you are transporting your own goods and not carrying anything belonging to anyone else you should only need a restricted licence that doesn’t need a transport managers qualification. But this means nothing for hire or reward and your own goods. I can see the sticking point here being if you have sold a vehicle to somebody then deliver it you would be carrying something that doesn’t belong to you so that would need a std licence requiring a transport managers qualification.
the thing is it's my car sales business and use the truck to collect cars I have bought my self and occasionally delivery cars to customers but only charge them upon delivery for the car.
Dalebber

Post by Dalebber »

Aldus_Hyce wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:45 pm
Dalebber wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:45 pm A lot depends on what you are actually doing. If you are transporting your own goods and not carrying anything belonging to anyone else you should only need a restricted licence that doesn’t need a transport managers qualification. But this means nothing for hire or reward and your own goods. I can see the sticking point here being if you have sold a vehicle to somebody then deliver it you would be carrying something that doesn’t belong to you so that would need a std licence requiring a transport managers qualification.
the thing is it's my car sales business and use the truck to collect cars I have bought my self and occasionally delivery cars to customers but only charge them upon delivery for the car.
If it’s your property then a restricted licence is all you need is my understanding.
Aldus_Hyce

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

Dalebber wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:46 pm
If it’s your property then a restricted licence is all you need is my understanding.
can you point me in the right direction to get restricted licence
Dalebber

Post by Dalebber »

Aldus_Hyce wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:46 pm

The link is posted above earlier in the thread
Simption

Post by Simption »

hi Dalebber it's a standard licence he needs as there's reward of his sold cars.
Dalebber

Post by Dalebber »

Simption wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:47 pm
hi Dalebber it's a standard licence he needs as there's reward of his sold cars.
There’s reward in any business otherwise it wouldn’t be a business. As I understand it, and I know of many who run on restricted, as long as the goods are his property then restricted is all he needs. If however it’s proved that an element of the resale value includes a delivery charge then a std would be required. As far as collecting purchased vehicles then a restricted is all he needs.
Kurisure

Post by Kurisure »

if you are making money from them cars then it is hire and reward so you will need a standard OL
Simption

Post by Simption »

Dalebber wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:48 pm
There’s reward in any business otherwise it wouldn’t be a business. As I understand it, and I know of many who run on restricted, as long as the goods are his property then restricted is all he needs. If however it’s proved that an element of the resale value includes a delivery charge then a std would be required. As far as collecting purchased vehicles then a restricted is all he needs.
it doesn't work that way in car transport mate. It would be nice if it was a restricted licence but it doesn't fall under that. Let's say he was a car collector moving 10 cars from one place to another to store them with no reward it would be restricted, but the minute there is any reward attached at any point it fall out of restricted into the next licence up (standard)
Hussinfo464

Post by Hussinfo464 »

Kurisure wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:48 pm

if you are making money from them cars then it is hire and reward so you will need a standard OL
not only that. He charges Hus customers for delivery. That is Hire And Reward in my opinion and as you rightly said standard License required!
Aldus_Hyce

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

Hussinfo464 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:50 pm

not only that. He charges Hus customers for delivery. That is Hire And Reward in my opinion and as you rightly said standard License required!
are you a psychic? How do you know if I charge for delivery? You don't know anything about my business
Hussinfo464

Post by Hussinfo464 »

Aldus_Hyce wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:50 pm

are you a psychic? How do you know if I charge for delivery? You don't know anything about my business
you said yourself in your response to one of the comments that your customers pay for delivery after you deliver the cars.
Anyway
Please do whatever you think is best I was just giving you my opinion on your question
Thanks
Hussinfo464

Post by Hussinfo464 »

I got that from your comment. Anyway no need to be rude I only gave my opinion
Please do as it suits you
Thanks
Aldus_Hyce

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

Hussinfo464 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:51 pm

I got that from your comment. Anyway no need to be rude I only gave my opinion
Please do as it suits you
Thanks
the truck is used by my self for my business. The business is a used car sales business, so I use the truck to collect cars purchased by me, transport my vehicles to various places for servicing or repairs, and deliver cars to customers who want to purchase them. Any customer who wants to a car delivered to there home has to pay a reserving deposit. The vehicle always belongs to me until full payment is made and full payment is made after vehicle is delivered. I do not transport vehicles not owned by me.
Aldus_Hyce

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

you said yourself in your response to one of the comments that your customers pay for delivery after you deliver the cars.
Anyway
Please do whatever you think is best I was just giving you my opinion on your question
Thanks
re read it, if I'm selling a car I only charge for the car once delivered. They pay for the car
Hussinfo464

Post by Hussinfo464 »

Aldus_Hyce wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:52 pm

Anyway
Thanks
re read it, if I'm selling a car I only charge for the car once delivered. They pay for the car
please ignore my message and kindly move on
Thanks
benines

Post by benines »

Incorrect, it’s fine to charge for delivery on a restricted licence.
benines

Post by benines »

I too have a 5ton, no I'm not involved in car sakes rather the movement of the vehicle when sold or transfer between sites. I am a qualified transport manager with an international CPC and a Goods Opertors Licence for over 7 years. The answer to the question is as the authorities have said, OL, tacho, DCPC and as you have said, you deliver the occasional car so by default, Standard National not restricted, do NOT use or even think about using the vehicle until then. See https://www.gov.uk/ for all the need requirement under Guide to Opertors Licence " and good luck as a first time person applying, allow 12-13 weeks, assuming you have a suitable goods operators centre, you are of good repute with no unspent conviction or bankruptcy history, can show financial standing, have a maintenance contract with a qualified service garage, and can employ a external transport manager which will cost around £400 a month.
KB7ingeers

Post by KB7ingeers »

You can hire people to manage your O licence side of things or do the qualifications
Aldus_Hyce

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

KB7ingeers wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:55 pm You can hire people to manage your O licence side of things or do the qualifications
what's the ball park figure to hire some one to manage the O licence for 1 truck? seeing all this info it's looking like not worth me keeping this truck and just pay others to collect and deliver the cars not worth the headache it seems
KB7ingeers

Post by KB7ingeers »

Aldus_Hyce wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:55 pm
KB7ingeers wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:55 pm You can hire people to manage your O licence side of things or do the qualifications
what's the ball park figure to hire some one to manage the O licence for 1 truck? seeing all this info it's looking like not worth me keeping this truck and just pay others to collect and deliver the cars not worth the headache it seems
I truthful don't know...contact your nearest managers CPC training location and ask the trainer to recommend someone locally or an HGV driving agency may have a freelance CPC holder
Kurisure

Post by Kurisure »

Yes you need to find your self a transport manager to put you application in to the traffic commissioner. You will need an operating centre and put an add in the news paper telling people you will be operating a lorry from that centre. You will also need around £8750 in the bank at all times and show evidence of this.
jinChat

Post by jinChat »

A lot of incorrect information here.
The vehicle is part of the business, selling it or charging for delivery has nothing to do with 'hire and reward'. In this case, as described in original post, a restricted licence is required.
If you move a vehicle for another car sales business and benefit directly or indirectly, then you require a standard licence, as this is hire and reward.
Aldus_Hyce

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

jinChat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:58 pm A lot of incorrect information here.
The vehicle is part of the business, selling it or charging for delivery has nothing to do with 'hire and reward'. In this case, as described in original post, a restricted licence is required.
If you move a vehicle for another car sales business and benefit directly or indirectly, then you require a standard licence, as this is hire and reward.
thank you for clarification, yes the truck is used to collect, deliver, move cars to garages for servicing or repairs. These cars belong to the business and no cars transported for any one else or any other business, the business makes money from sales of cars
Jarman

Post by Jarman »

Aldus_Hyce wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:58 pm
thank you for clarification, yes the truck is used to collect, deliver, move cars to garages for servicing or repairs. These cars belong to the business and no cars transported for any one else or any other business, the business makes money from sales of cars
you said already you deliver cars to customers, if you feel you are above the law, you crack on, your vehicle is already on the radar. Read the guide to Goods Opertors Licence, it's official, correct and stop arguing the toss so some agrees with you. If you cannot be arsed to read the guide, call DVSA tomorrow, tell um you deliver the " occasional" car to new owners after you've sent them a video, THEN YOU CAN COME BACK AND eat humble pie. To others who feel differently, read up on the law and stick to yer 3500kg ex supermarket trolley. I think that will do for this post?
Aldus_Hyce

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

Jarman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:59 pm
you said already you deliver cars to customers, if you feel you are above the law, you crack on, your vehicle is already on the radar. Read the guide to Goods Opertors Licence, it's official, correct and stop arguing the toss so some agrees with you. If you cannot be arsed to read the guide, call DVSA tomorrow, tell um you deliver the " occasional" car to new owners after you've sent them a video, THEN YOU CAN COME BACK AND eat humble pie. To others who feel differently, read up on the law and stick to yer 3500kg ex supermarket trolley. I think that will do for this post?
no need to be angry man
jinChat

Post by jinChat »

delivery of a car sold by the operator is not hire and reward.
Delivery of a car on behalf of another dealer is.
Jarman

Post by Jarman »

jinChat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:00 pm

What part of "reward" do you not understand?
jinChat

Post by jinChat »

Jarman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:00 pm

I understand it fully.
Aldus_Hyce

Post by Aldus_Hyce »

Jarman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:00 pm

as long as the vehicle is on our truck it belongs to the business. The payment for vehicle and transfer if ownership takes place after being delivered to buyer. This is only 1 part of the use of the truck. We use the truck to transport only our cars for various reasons. And now I have done my research and spoke to a few people who understand this area very well and the restricted O licence is what is needed.
michal2hot

Post by michal2hot »

Yea two ways around this if you still want to transport, 1)employ or subcontract a transport manager for a short period like myself to get you properly running legally, with all inspections/systems in place so u can keep moving without further penalties or 2)get your own qualifications and be your own Transport Manager, but you'd still need to go through point 1) in the process of 2) if u wish to keep it going. If you are in 60mile radius of Bristol and surrounding area I'm happy to help you.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”