I’m looking to replace my 15 plate 520 Scania in the near future my question is this though. I have seen 3 year old

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Nelsonnx

I’m looking to replace my 15 plate 520 Scania in the near future my question is this though. I have seen 3 year old

Post by Nelsonnx »

I’m looking to replace my 15 plate 520 Scania in the near future and have always bought 2nd hand Scania as a rule. Unfortunately the way the market is right now that might not be an option, my question is this though. I have seen 3 year old 530 DAFs with 300000 Ks on them are they decent/reliable and good mpg? There is also a offer of a warranty which looks decent but will need to see who will honour it I think (my work is general haulage so mostly motorway).
Wynneertz

Re: I’m looking to replace my 15 plate 520 Scania in the near future my question is this though. I have seen 3 year old

Post by Wynneertz »

Impent wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:24 pm A and m commercials
the bigger they got the more expensive they got
jjOcampy

Re: I’m looking to replace my 15 plate 520 Scania in the near future my question is this though. I have seen 3 year old

Post by jjOcampy »

I’ve got a nice R730 Scania for sale for £45k 😁 twin stacks, twin tag, all the toys
Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (115.15 KiB) Viewed 214 times
Aaroup

Post by Aaroup »

Definitely do not make that mistake 💯 stick with scania
Wynneertz

Post by Wynneertz »

Aaroup wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:29 pm Definitely do not make that mistake 💯 stick with scania
not a mistake at all
grantex

Post by grantex »

Before you make any decisions go for a test drive in a 530 daf, I use to tramp in my R730 and moved into a 530 DAF (I own both) the drive comparison cant even be put into words
Wynneertz

Post by Wynneertz »

grantex wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:30 pm Before you make any decisions go for a test drive in a 530 daf, I use to tramp in my R730 and moved into a 530 DAF (I own both) the drive comparison cant even be put into words
I have had both and the daf is way more comfortable
GeoffDeep

Post by GeoffDeep »

Speak to Pete White at Whites Transport Services Ltd he sales good second hand trucks he's your man
rawsi

Post by rawsi »

GeoffDeep wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:31 pm Speak to Pete White at Whites Transport Services Ltd he sales good second hand trucks he's your man
he sells the same as any other dealer would sell. He doesn't have a Houdini hat where used trucks are born.
leightoniz

Post by leightoniz »

It’s the amount you loose after. The time you pay the daf off, got your work out of it & are ready to sell it they’re worth peanuts and are harder to sell.
Better off pushing the boat buying a late scania pay it off, sell it & put 30k+ depending what you buy back in your pocket to put a deposit down on a nearly new 1 again.
If for instance you got a 20/21 v8 for 120k ish, run it for 5 year she should still fetch 60k back easily after you’ve payed it off. If not more
Katrac

Post by Katrac »

leightoniz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:33 pm It’s the amount you loose after. The time you pay the daf off, got your work out of it & are ready to sell it they’re worth peanuts and are harder to sell.
Better off pushing the boat buying a late scania pay it off, sell it & put 30k+ depending what you buy back in your pocket to put a deposit down on a nearly new 1 again.
If for instance you got a 20/21 v8 for 120k ish, run it for 5 year she should still fetch 60k back easily after you’ve payed it off. If not more
and borrow 30k more and pay interest on it for 3 years
Davri

Post by Davri »

Katrac wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:33 pm
leightoniz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:33 pm It’s the amount you loose after. The time you pay the daf off, got your work out of it & are ready to sell it they’re worth peanuts and are harder to sell.
Scania king of the road Mate 🙈🙈😂😂
Katrac

Post by Katrac »

Davri wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 pm
Katrac wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:33 pm
Scania king of the road Mate 🙈🙈😂😂
iv told you before there like cocaine. God way of getting rid of money for people with to much of it 🤣
Wynneertz

Post by Wynneertz »

with the way haulage is at the moment that would be a foolish move
jectornt

Post by jectornt »

Daf is a good truck and get a lot of bad press and at the moment there's a lot of cheap metal about. The whole argument of buying a scania it'll be worth xyz when you sell it isn't really a good one in my opinion. There's some dafs out there 2019/2020 circa £30k so say you run the thing for 5 years and give it away you've only lost £30k whereas the idea above of spend £120k and get £60k back after 5 you'd have lost double. Driven sensibly the daf will return good economy and will be reliable if maintained. Yes a Scania is a nice tool no doubt about it but with the inflated prices on them, the market falling I'd rather have less tied up in an asset but that's just my thoughts. There are some die hard Scania fans that will hear no bad about them and let's face it they're not without their faults
goochip

Post by goochip »

jectornt wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:36 pm Daf is a good truck and get a lot of bad press and at the moment there's a lot of cheap metal about. The whole argument of buying a scania it'll be worth xyz when you sell it isn't really a good one in my opinion. There's some dafs out there 2019/2020 circa £30k so say you run the thing for 5 years and give it away you've only lost £30k whereas the idea above of spend £120k and get £60k back after 5 you'd have lost double. Driven sensibly the daf will return good economy and will be reliable if maintained. Yes a Scania is a nice tool no doubt about it but with the inflated prices on them, the market falling I'd rather have less tied up in an asset but that's just my thoughts. There are some die hard Scania fans that will hear no bad about them and let's face it they're not without their faults
at last, somebody who talks sense
Wynneertz

Post by Wynneertz »

jectornt wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:36 pm Daf is a good truck and get a lot of bad press and at the moment there's a lot of cheap metal about. The whole argument of buying a scania it'll be worth xyz when you sell it isn't really a good one in my opinion. There's some dafs out there 2019/2020 circa £30k so say you run the thing for 5 years and give it away you've only lost £30k whereas the idea above of spend £120k and get £60k back after 5 you'd have lost double. Driven sensibly the daf will return good economy and will be reliable if maintained. Yes a Scania is a nice tool no doubt about it but with the inflated prices on them, the market falling I'd rather have less tied up in an asset but that's just my thoughts. There are some die hard Scania fans that will hear no bad about them and let's face it they're not without their faults
exactly, what he just said👆
Katrac

Post by Katrac »

and borrow 60k more over 3years paying high interest now people font take the finance cost in to account
jectornt

Post by jectornt »

Katrac wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:38 pm
and borrow 60k more over 3years paying high interest now people font take the finance cost in to account
hit the nail on the head mate
Nelsonnx

Post by Nelsonnx »

Katrac wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:38 pm
this is the conversation I have in my head all the time, tax relief is my other head scratcher as well 😩😩, will have a beer and think on !!
mariamaria

Post by mariamaria »

missed the time lost with daf which is likely to be way more often will happen if you have a scania
Morector

Post by Morector »

I have runned Daf 's for the past 3 yrs and never have any issues , 2 with over a million miles but still doing the job , as long as you service them with genuine part you are good mate
Katrac

Post by Katrac »

Morector wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:40 pm I have runned Daf 's for the past 3 yrs and never have any issues , 2 with over a million miles but still doing the job , as long as you service them with genuine part you are good mate
i agree
Lewomia

Post by Lewomia »

The way things are could you not stick with your motor for another year
knightra

Post by knightra »

Mate euro six dafs are a disaster , I've got three and can't wait to get rid off , ones been off the road since start of December and so far spent around £10 k on it
Maddium

Post by Maddium »

DAF is the work of the Devil… Cams go above 400k truly a horrible chariot of misery.
Joeport

Post by Joeport »

Look after what ya got bruv if it needs a bit of dollar spent on it spend it when you buy them there sparse and you pay top dollar when you want to sell them there worth fuck all there all the same at the moment any one want to buy new motor must have rocks in there head its the race to the bottom and no one knows what way the economy's going hang on a bit there be giving them away by the summer trust.
Davri

Post by Davri »

Sell you a 2018 Daf 480 SS. With 7 months warranty remaining,
600000 KM
Nelsonnx

Post by Nelsonnx »

Thank you all for your comments, a lot to think about, more homework!!
mmotoon

Post by mmotoon »

Keep what you got till work picks up at least you know your truck
Lyonette

Post by Lyonette »

The way secondhand prices are at the moment you should be able to get a Scania at a reasonable price. Prices have taken a real fall to what they were.
alpine xf 95

Post by alpine xf 95 »

DAF all the Way, Much better truck than a Scania will ever be, We have a 460 with 1.5 millon on the clock , Clutch at 1m Turbo at 1.4 m running gear never been touched, in fact same Brake Disc, We do our own servicing though NO R&M for us, We have operated DAFs from 1979 and cannot fault ONE of them , I would recommend the 530 over the 480 though if you are an Owner Driver. the early ones 460 / 510 the clutch bearing would give out at about 750.000 kms clutch half worn at that,
Cannot fault the ride or cab comfort, If the price is right for that 3 yr old at them kms go for it, You will not need to worry about resell value at the end you can give it away lol , With an Over Priced Scania to start with you will have to find some Clown to take it off your hands ? And from what i see advertised most have been rebuild well under 1m kms.Scania bottom end have ALLWAYS be weak? change shells to get good oil pressure ever other oil change lol
Why people pay 40k over the top for a inferior vehicle is beyond me, Yes i have worked on All Makes of vehicle even Thames Traders 608 VTF the first vehicle i owned,
Thats my two penech for what its worth. been around trucks all my life, and operated them from 1972.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”