What are everyone’s thought? yes I know service drivers get more. Id just like to make a point that I guess has been

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
DerexTeffo

Re: What are everyone’s thought? yes I know service drivers get more. Id just like to make a point that I guess has been

Post by DerexTeffo »

Part of the problem in the coach industry is that when bookings are not coming in consistently drivers still need to be paid for “down time”. When the wheels aren’t turning drivers still get paid even though they are not driving and generating revenue. You don’t get down time working in supermarkets. Those tills workers and shelf stackers are like robots and never seem to stop for a second. I know which job I would prefer
Dayxana

Re: What are everyone’s thought? yes I know service drivers get more. Id just like to make a point that I guess has been

Post by Dayxana »

LloydenDun wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 pm
Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:44 pm
LloydenDun wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:44 pm Then if you've been in the industry that long you know the pay is not great but made up with optionals, tips and drinks sold .........
That's is the sort of daft comment that probably keeps employers thinking they can pay rubbish.
So you think a comment keeps it low, started in 84 finished in 2002 so I know it's always been low and comments won't change anything.
Regarding tips and bungs as making up wages is silly.
simoncu56

Post by simoncu56 »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 pm

That's is the sort of daft comment that probably keeps employers thinking they can pay rubbish.
So you think a comment keeps it low, started in 84 finished in 2002 so I know it's always been low and comments won't change anything.
how about paying to not share a room? 😃
LloydenDun

Post by LloydenDun »

so they pay decent wage and take the optionals and tips and don't say they won't as I worked for well known holiday companies and at one time the optionals were the drivers then it changed and drivers only got a small percentage
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

LloydenDun wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 pm

so they pay decent wage and take the optionals and tips and don't say they won't as I worked for well known holiday companies and at one time the optionals were the drivers then it changed and drivers only got a small percentage
Point missed completely. Accepting poor pay because you can make it up with bungs is wrong. And any employer who takes this into account when setting wages is breaking the law
LloydenDun

Post by LloydenDun »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 pm

Point missed completely. Accepting poor pay because you can make it up with bungs is wrong. And any employer who takes this into account when setting wages is breaking the law
So is working 24hrs a day but you do that
When single driver/guide on tour you are the one that drives, cleans the coach, informs the passengers of the sights, is there for passengers if needed in the evening and if any emergency during the night.
The wages are what they are low, I now drive HGVs so on this basis just because I don't have passengers I should be payed less? The whole transport industry both PSV/HGV is low because of cost of running business, plus if you strike no one will stick together for a all out strike for better wages as there is always someone who is willing to drive
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

LloydenDun wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 pm
Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 pm

So is working 24hrs a day but you do that
When single driver/guide on tour you are the one that drives, cleans the coach, informs the passengers of the sights, is there for passengers if needed in the evening and if any emergency during the night.
The wages are what they are low, I now drive HGVs so on this basis just because I don't have passengers I should be payed less? The whole transport industry both PSV/HGV is low because of cost of running business, plus if you strike no one will stick together for a all out strike for better wages as there is always someone who is willing to drive
Look im sorry but every word of that is nonsense.
JozesTips

Post by JozesTips »

Thanks for the comments, I’ve only been in the industry for 23 years..👍👍👍
pixoneBuy

Post by pixoneBuy »

JozesTips wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:52 pm Thanks for the comments, I’ve only been in the industry for 23 years..👍👍👍
38 years I did it for
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

Just so you know Jazes. Everyone in the world thinks they are worth more than they actually are. No one is in disposable.
ihenxo-2173

Post by ihenxo-2173 »

136_lewismequ wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 pm Just so you know Jazes. Everyone in the world thinks they are worth more than they actually are. No one is in disposable.
Spot on 35 years running my own coach business now 3 years bus driving bus driving 4 days a week for £8.50 a hour and no worries as when I was an operator.
personalth

Post by personalth »

23 years and still moaning about pay. I’d have thought your would have learned by now that the rates will always be lower than you can earn in other industries. But I guess as they say, some people never learn.
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

personalth wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:04 pm 23 years and still moaning about pay. I’d have thought your would have learned by now that the rates will always be lower than you can earn in other industries. But I guess as they say, some people never learn.
Pilots and train drivers earn more
personalth

Post by personalth »

136_lewismequ wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:05 pm
personalth wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:04 pm 23 years and still moaning about pay. I’d have thought your would have learned by now that the rates will always be lower than you can earn in other industries. But I guess as they say, some people never learn.
hgv Driver’s earn more. That’s what coach drivers who actually want to earn more, rather than just moan about shit wages, go and do.
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

personalth wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:07 pm
hgv Driver’s earn more. That’s what coach drivers who actually want to earn more, rather than just moan about shit wages, go and do.
and I thought they all became pilots. As apparently they are equal
personalth

Post by personalth »

136_lewismequ wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:10 pm

Ah yes probably that too. My bad! That’s what I was going to do. But then I remembered I didn’t have brains nor the £100k+ required for training!
JozesTips

Post by JozesTips »

personalth wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:10 pm
136_lewismequ wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:10 pm

Ah yes probably that too. My bad! That’s what I was going to do. But then I remembered I didn’t have brains nor the £100k+ required for training!
I was trying to put over the importance of a coach driver, ie people’s lives at stake etc and other jobs with same pay... not a moan, just people’s thoughts.... please read original post before commenting.. 😁😁
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

TreDraven wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:12 pm Wouldn't get out of bed for that
You must spend a lot of time in bed then ... lazy bugger
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

Face reality. Some years ago. Shearings was owned by Top Rank Bingo, they paid their bingo callers, better wages than their Coach Drivers.
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

KENEssence wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:13 pm Face reality. Some years ago. Shearings was owned by Top Rank Bingo, they paid their bingo callers, better wages than their Coach Drivers.
The bingo callers were semi skilled professionals
Crowthfa

Post by Crowthfa »

KENEssence wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:13 pm Face reality. Some years ago. Shearings was owned by Top Rank Bingo, they paid their bingo callers, better wages than their Coach Drivers.
The bingo business and Shearings were both owned by Rank Organization Plc. In different divisions run by completely separate management. No direct connection.
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

Crowthfa wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:13 pm
The bingo business and Shearings were both owned by Rank Organization Plc. In different divisions run by completely separate management. No direct connection.
but the bingo callers got Better wages
Alanable

Post by Alanable »

Every time I see a bus or a coach there is a bod sitting in the front right hand corner.Its all down to market forces,if an operator can get a bod for £9.00 why would he pay£10.00.
P0steeSky

Post by P0steeSky »

Depends where you are in the country. South of Watford don't get out of bed for less than £10.00 hour. That's bus money. For tachograph vehicles stay in bed if rate under £11.00. Best day rate is £13.00 hour excluding nights and weekends.
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

That’s why I moved to Germany in 2003.
HGV wage was €25 an hour Plus €44 per night sleep out fee. You also got €37.50 overtime over 35 hours.
All controlled by Berlin.
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

And your night out money, if within the M25 increased to €57!!!!!!!
personalth

Post by personalth »

KENEssence wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:17 pm And your night out money, if within the M25 increased to €57!!!!!!!
Why would you be within the m25 if you are in Germany!
KENEssence

Post by KENEssence »

personalth wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:18 pm
KENEssence wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:17 pm And your night out money, if within the M25 increased to €57!!!!!!!
Why would you be within the m25 if you are in Germany!
Cos that’s where the Germans built the services
JozesTips

Post by JozesTips »

Isn’t it abit pathetic that some of you post unconstructed posts, but seem to know everything about the industry.. feel overwhelmed with some of the crap posted.... Many thanks anyway, 👍👍
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

Perhaps it’s because this topic comes up weekly ...
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Lewis's right, it's almost constant. You asked for people's thoughts and you got them, that was the point yes?
As the saying goes that applies to everything - If you don't like the answers don't ask the question.
JozesTips

Post by JozesTips »

Well seeing that I’ve only just joined I’ve never seen posts on here before🤔... but thank you to all the professional drivers thought... I would just like to point out that some views are complete b#####ks but Lewis you chat more sense...
personalth

Post by personalth »

JozesTips wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:23 pm Well seeing that I’ve only just joined I’ve never seen posts on here before🤔... but thank you to all the professional drivers thought... I would just like to point out that some views are complete b#####ks but Lewis you chat more sense...
Well that’s a first. Someone calling Lewis sensible! 🤣🤣🤣
JozesTips

Post by JozesTips »

KENEssence wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:17 pm That’s why I moved to Germany in 2003.
HGV wage was €25 an hour Plus €44 per night sleep out fee. You also got €37.50 overtime over 35 hours.
I’d put you in a category as a usual (I’ll take what I can) as a coach driver.... your views are so me me me, thank god you don’t work for me.. 🤥🤥
edurhVam

Post by edurhVam »

JozesTips wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:24 pm
KENEssence wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:17 pm That’s why I moved to Germany in 2003.
I’d put you in a category as a usual (I’ll take what I can) as a coach driver.... your views are so me me me, thank god you don’t work for me.. 🤥🤥
says the fella that chosen to only get £8.50 per hour lol
JozesTips

Post by JozesTips »

edurhVam wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:24 pm
thanks for your comment... guess minibus is for you 👍👍
edurhVam

Post by edurhVam »

JozesTips wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:25 pm
edurhVam wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:24 pm

thanks for your comment... guess minibus is for you 👍👍
beats driving a coach for £8.50 an hour lol
edurhVam

Post by edurhVam »

I was getting more than that driving local buses when I was a new driver lol
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

edurhVam wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:26 pm I was getting more than that driving local buses when I was a new driver lol
I get more stacking shelves in the supermarket... there we go... full circle ⭕️
edurhVam

Post by edurhVam »

136_lewismequ wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:26 pm
edurhVam wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:26 pm I was getting more than that driving local buses when I was a new driver lol
my son gets more and he not left school yet lol
136_lewismequ

Post by 136_lewismequ »

edurhVam wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:27 pm
My grandson gets more and he’s not a twinkle in my some eye yet
personalth

Post by personalth »

it’s not his fault he’s still at school age 39!
edurhVam

Post by edurhVam »

personalth wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:28 pm

it’s not his fault he’s still at school age 39!
I be wondering who the f**k the dad was if he was 39 lol I aint 35 yet lol
JozesTips

Post by JozesTips »

Thank you Edurhvam... I guess your village appreciates you 👍👍
edurhVam

Post by edurhVam »

JozesTips wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:29 pm
we live in the same place you and me jonesy
JozesTips

Post by JozesTips »

edurhVam wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:29 pm
I doubt it..,
edurhVam

Post by edurhVam »

JozesTips wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:30 pm

I doubt it..,
obviously not the same estate tho lol
JozesTips

Post by JozesTips »

edurhVam wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:30 pm

I doubt it..,
I don’t live on a estate.. I’ve done good 😜😜😜
edurhVam

Post by edurhVam »

edurhVam wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:30 pm

I doubt it..,
I don’t live on a estate.. I’ve done good 😜😜😜
ok then, the terraced houses lol
Johnetto

Post by Johnetto »

Till operators generally get paid more than shelf stackers, and 20 years ago, operating a till in the local Tesco would have earned me more per hour than driving a coach, so this is not a new thing.
However, till operation is boring, repetitive work, and you spend your entire time at work actually, you know, working. As against working for a bit, then having an hour or two off while getting paid for sleeping, answering e-mails and posting on here.

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”