Okay guys and girls what’s the views on using the sunblinds with passengers sat behind you?? Seen so many drivers

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
PIPricepton

Re: Okay guys and girls what’s the views on using the sunblinds with passengers sat behind you?? Seen so many drivers

Post by PIPricepton »

Do modern coaches not have a mesh at the top so the driver can pull blind down and allow pax to see through. The Vanhools Lags and 3500 Paramounts were all designed to allow the blind to be drawn down whilst pax could still see. This problem was addressed fine in the 1980s motors we used. Never had the issue. I've not driven a highfloor coach built since 1990 so have lost touch.
Annic-Vano

Re: Okay guys and girls what’s the views on using the sunblinds with passengers sat behind you?? Seen so many drivers

Post by Annic-Vano »

PIPricepton wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm Do modern coaches not have a mesh at the top so the driver can pull blind down and allow pax to see through. The Vanhools Lags and 3500 Paramounts were all designed to allow the blind to be drawn down whilst pax could still see. This problem was addressed fine in the 1980s motors we used. Never had the issue. I've not driven a highfloor coach built since 1990 so have lost touch.
Mine does but the blind isnt lower enough for me and blocks my view of the road so generally I use a cap.
howarlo

Post by howarlo »

IBBITHONE wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm
howarlo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm As a retired driver now enjoying the delights of coach travel, I hate those blinds. A truly professional Alpha driver told me recently he never uses them if at all possible and depends on sun glasses and a big-peaked cap. Cheers, mate.
was that sarcasm?
Absolutely NOT!
Attimum

Post by Attimum »

Decent sunglasses. (Also sometimes add hand)
Lots of tour companies expect passengers to get the full Imax view.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Attimum wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm Decent sunglasses. (Also sometimes add hand)
Really? They stipulate non use of blinds eh?
If I need it I'll use it. I won't be dictated to by some office idiot with no knowledge.
Attimum

Post by Attimum »

Dayxana wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm
Attimum wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm Decent sunglasses. (Also sometimes add hand)
If I need it I'll use it. I won't be dictated to by some office idiot with no knowledge.
YUP! Won't name though
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Attimum wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm
Dayxana wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm
YUP! Won't name though
And people bend over and comply with that? more fool them.
petechan

Post by petechan »

I use sunglasses 🕶 but sometimes you still have to put the blind down
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Use the Blinds! They are fitted for use not show!! 😂
JulieSpin

Post by JulieSpin »

No contest blind is there for the driver's convenient not the passenger, if they argue just say that it would b helpful if u can see as ur the one driving.
David55

Post by David55 »

I use the blinds if they come down far enough me seeing the road ahead is more important than someone sat behind me,
I wouldn’t wear a cap as I don’t like them but sunglasses are fine,
I have in the past had an elderly gentleman ask me to open the blind so he could see and once I explained why they was down he had a right go at me because he paid more to sit in them seats, and he wasn’t happy he couldn’t see I even asked him to sit in my seat and see my view with the blinds up and he agreed with me that I needed it down and then went on to demand a full refund at this point I ended his tour and arranged a taxi to take him home which was only 15 miles away from where he started to moan and I wasn’t putting up with that for 8 days, might just add tho this was 10 years ago and I haven’t had anyone else say anything about it since
Markwripe

Post by Markwripe »

Sun blinds sorry safety first,if I can’t see ahead of me properly because someone behind doesn’t like the blinds down, sorry you are only four I have 40 plus others to think of
tmcoxeMuss

Post by tmcoxeMuss »

No. You need to be able to see. Your safety and theirs
IBBITHONE

Post by IBBITHONE »

Straight answer is
" would you rather I can see or you" to passengers question !!!
RODDSONIS

Post by RODDSONIS »

I've had them complaining because the blinds block there vision not bothered about the fact drivers pull them down so they can stop the glare or sunshine
lizzia-2183

Post by lizzia-2183 »

RODDSONIS wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:43 pm I've had them complaining because the blinds block there vision not bothered about the fact drivers pull them down so they can stop the glare or sunshine
I’ve had them complain because I’ve only got one bank of lights on. In bright sunlight? They’ll always find something to complain about! 😂
Maher-ockee

Post by Maher-ockee »

This was the solution. Tinting.
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Can't see it being that effective when the sun's low.
Maher-ockee

Post by Maher-ockee »

Dayxana wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:48 pm Can't see it being that effective when the sun's low.
Being 5ft 6 and having to look in the mirrors - I often find the stock blinds aren't that effective either! When I started in London Buses sunglasses were banned too, but the sun visor did reach to my mouth which was fun 😂 - I'm an avid user of the side blind though. Just enough to do blind spot checks.
GotGaress

Post by GotGaress »

I can't actually believe that this thread is a thing
gravettro+grav

Post by gravettro+grav »

My passengers always have the blind up, especially when I walk towards the allocated vehicle with my Ray Charles glasses, white stick and somebody guiding me into the drivers seat. Then helps me find the control's lay out 😎😮😂
pear2swis

Post by pear2swis »

gravettro+grav wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:50 pm My passengers always have the blind up, especially when I walk towards the allocated vehicle with my Ray Charles glasses, white stick and somebody guiding me into the drivers seat. Then helps me find the control's lay out 😎😮😂
Ditto but I have a braided wig and only know Stevie Wonder tunes, there is superstition 🎼
cersoIganio

Post by cersoIganio »

Sunblind! Whilst on a rail replacement a passenger complained quite heavily he couldn't see out the windscreen as he liked to see where he was going. I asked if he could see out the front of the train and he silenced.
Maher-ockee

Post by Maher-ockee »

cersoIganio wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:53 pm Sunblind! Whilst on a rail replacement a passenger complained quite heavily he couldn't see out the windscreen as he liked to see where he was going. I asked if he could see out the front of the train and he silenced.
Until you are replacing the docklands 😂
Annic-Vano

Post by Annic-Vano »

Baseball cap, perfect can angle it to block the sun with a tilt of the head lol leaving the blind up to 'blind' the passengers!
TaTe9asco

Post by TaTe9asco »

when sun is low I don't bother with blind as it blocks the mirror
jenkinnDay

Post by jenkinnDay »

Yay if you can’t see who else is driving ??
Klucas.zap

Post by Klucas.zap »

The sun blinds are for the driver not the passenger for God sake use them that's why they are fitted
CARRIENT

Post by CARRIENT »

Seriously it's a no brainer! Of course you use them, are the passengers going to pay your mortgage if you crash & loose your job......or even worse 🤔 you can't use your passengers (simply because you want to keep them happy) as a valid excuse if you cause devastation that just wouldn't stand up in a court of law! 😊 just saying drive safe & use them blinds!!!!! Have a lovely day 😊
GraGringo

Post by GraGringo »

Nay sunglasses 🕶 and baseball cap
sonna+ivan

Post by sonna+ivan »

I'm on rail so if there not fit to travel well. GET OFF
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (141.33 KiB) Viewed 56 times
WALKEDIBO

Post by WALKEDIBO »

The other thing the blind does is keep the heat of you too, it’s seriously hot sometimes, plus you don’t look out the front on a plane or a train so no big deal😎
Annic-Vano

Post by Annic-Vano »

WALKEDIBO wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:11 pm The other thing the blind does is keep the heat of you too, it’s seriously hot sometimes, plus you don’t look out the front on a plane or a train so no big deal😎
Except those who get travel sick....
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Annic-Vano wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:12 pm
WALKEDIBO wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:11 pm The other thing the blind does is keep the heat of you too, it’s seriously hot sometimes, plus you don’t look out the front on a plane or a train so no big deal😎
Not.our problem
Annic-Vano

Post by Annic-Vano »

Annic-Vano wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:12 pm
Except when it in our coaches on our seats and worse still happening behind you agggh the noise and smell......
Dosse_diuu

Post by Dosse_diuu »

I always use the blind, they can either get there safely or not at all in my opinion, it's a driver aid not a passenger comfort, I also use sunglasses as the blinds don't always come down far enough.

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”