Who do we send complaints to about roadside encounters of being overweight? We are very careful about the weight we

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
cirjon_danz

Who do we send complaints to about roadside encounters of being overweight? We are very careful about the weight we

Post by cirjon_danz »

Who do we send complaints to about roadside encounters of being overweight?
We are very careful about the weight we carry. Always at least 300kg underweight. Every time we get pulled at trowel services we are told that we are 1/2 ton over weight of our train weight. It is impossible. We have had our vehicles weighed at a Vosa with bridge and the trailer weighed separately.
The weight of our vehicle comes in at 2022 kg but at trowel they tell us it is 2600kg.
ThrillTribee

Re: Who do we send complaints to about roadside encounters of being overweight? We are very careful about the weight we

Post by ThrillTribee »

You can always raise a complaint with DVSA but you need to be accurate about the situation and provide good information. I can’t understand your calculation because you seem to indicate that the vehicle was weighed as a combination of vehicle and trailer but then say that the vehicle was under weight as it was weighed separately.
AmeeTinny

Re: Who do we send complaints to about roadside encounters of being overweight? We are very careful about the weight we

Post by AmeeTinny »

Are you weighing the vehicle combination with a full tank of fuel and passengers? This will make a difference to the overall weight of the vehicle so needs to be factored in
Colisman

Post by Colisman »

Van published weight is empty, you now have driver, fuel, drivers bag of boiled sweets and 12 empty McDonalds wrappers as well as ply lining and the pallet the load is on and straps etc. Chinese carton weights are a guess at best, fluids tend to assume 1litre = 1kg but many fluids are heavier plus the packing. Load up the drive and mate if applicable plus a full tank of fuel and ADR kit or anything else that remains in the van then visit a public weighbridge and pay for a printout. Then revisit what your load actually is.
cirjon_danz

Post by cirjon_danz »

Colisman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:51 pm Van published weight is empty, you now have driver, fuel, drivers bag of boiled sweets and 12 empty McDonalds wrappers as well as ply lining and the pallet the load is on and straps etc. Chinese carton weights are a guess at best, fluids tend to assume 1litre = 1kg but many fluids are heavier plus the packing. Load up the drive and mate if applicable plus a full tank of fuel and ADR kit or anything else that remains in the van then visit a public weighbridge and pay for a printout. Then revisit what your load actually is.
this wasn’t the published weight. It was the actual weight at weighbridge
Colisman

Post by Colisman »

cirjon_danz wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:51 pm
Colisman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:51 pm Van published weight is empty, you now have driver, fuel, drivers bag of boiled sweets and 12 empty McDonalds wrappers as well as ply lining and the pallet the load is on and straps etc. Chinese carton weights are a guess at best, fluids tend to assume 1litre = 1kg but many fluids are heavier plus the packing. Load up the drive and mate if applicable plus a full tank of fuel and ADR kit or anything else that remains in the van then visit a public weighbridge and pay for a printout. Then revisit what your load actually is.
so either load is not the described weight or one of the weigh bridges is wrong.
cirjon_danz

Post by cirjon_danz »

Colisman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:52 pm
so either load is not the described weight or one of the weigh bridges is wrong.
At road side they are using plates.
mcIdol

Post by mcIdol »

cirjon_danz wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:52 pm

Did they use dummy pads or levelling mats to ensure the vehicle was level when using the mobile weigh pads? I’m currently contesting a case where we were weighed without causing each axle to weigh considerably more than it should due to the height difference.
https://pesage-captels.com/en/technic/m ... -accuracy/
cirjon_danz

Post by cirjon_danz »

mcIdol wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:53 pm

Did they use dummy pads or levelling mats to ensure the vehicle was level when using the mobile weigh pads? I’m currently contesting a case where we were weighed without causing each axle to weigh considerably more than it should due to the height difference.
I will dm you my number. I finally have someone else in the same boat.
Binnson

Post by Binnson »

cirjon_danz wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:53 pm

I have carried out many weight checks for a major construction company. We used weigh pads with a dummy set to ensure the vehicle was level. We found if you didn’t put blanks in, the discrepancy was quite alarming. I think you need to video them weighing your vehicle and post it for comments. We found the shorter the wheelbase the bigger the margin for error.
mcIdol

Post by mcIdol »

Binnson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:54 pm

I have carried out many weight checks for a major construction company. We used weigh pads with a dummy set to ensure the vehicle was level. We found if you didn’t put blanks in, the discrepancy was quite alarming. I think you need to video them weighing your vehicle and post it for comments. We found the shorter the wheelbase the bigger the margin for error.
Do you have any documented figures showing what the differences were?
mcIdol

Post by mcIdol »

Have a read of:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... f-vehicles
“in cases where all axles of the vehicle are not being weighed simultaneously, sufficient dummy pads or levelling mats of equivalent thickness are to be used under all wheels not being weighed, ensuring that the wheels on each axle are weighed together”
I will give you a call this morning
Binnson

Post by Binnson »

mcIdol wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:54 pm

no, however, the manufacturer states the vehicle must be level. I will ask some of the guys that still do what they call gate checks and come back to you.
mcIdol

Post by mcIdol »

Binnson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:56 pm
mcIdol wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:54 pm

no, however, the manufacturer states the vehicle must be level. I will ask some of the guys that still do what they call gate checks and come back to you.
Thank you
cirjon_danz

Post by cirjon_danz »

mcIdol wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:55 pm

Have a read of:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... f-vehicles
“in cases where all axles of the vehicle are not being weighed simultaneously, sufficient dummy pads or levelling mats of equivalent thickness are to be used under all wheels not being weighed, ensuring that the wheels on each axle are weighed together”
I will give you a call this morning
That’s exactly what they did to us.
cirjon_danz

Post by cirjon_danz »

Vehicle was weighed at weighbridge with 3/4 tank of fuel and driver in. Trailer weighs 800kg and the vehicle on trailer weighed 1850kg. We pass at every stop except trowel. This has to be incorrect measuring on their side as we have had the same combination at Newport and we were under as per normal. Driver had to leave vehicle and trailer at the services for another driver to come and collect.
cirjon_danz

Post by cirjon_danz »

We weighed in at under 4700 at weigh ridge and train weight is 5300. How can this be 1/2 ton over.
BillStill

Post by BillStill »

You obviously have a problem. Weighbridges are calibrated. Re-check all your figures.
Kurisure

Post by Kurisure »

If the nose weight that is messing you up
jadevin

Post by jadevin »

What are you transporting? Is there any chance for the load to get wet and hold water? EG were a scaffold company so the board may get wet and become more heavy etc.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”