Is anyone else here a member of CILT? It’s coming up to renewal time and Im really not sure I get any benefit for my

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
benines

Is anyone else here a member of CILT? It’s coming up to renewal time and Im really not sure I get any benefit for my

Post by benines »

Is anyone else here a member of CILT? It’s coming up to renewal time and I’m really not sure I get any benefit for my (significant) membership dues. But I fully appreciate that maybe I’m not proactive enough in searching out those benefits. Anyone got any strong views on CILT membership either way?
JadeEver

Re: Is anyone else here a member of CILT? It’s coming up to renewal time and Im really not sure I get any benefit for my

Post by JadeEver »

I have kept mine as they are funding DGSA via the aspire program but you have to really search for the stuff if needed not even sure who to contact If need support with anything
Matherso

Re: Is anyone else here a member of CILT? It’s coming up to renewal time and Im really not sure I get any benefit for my

Post by Matherso »

JadeEver wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:50 pm I have kept mine as they are funding DGSA via the aspire program but you have to really search for the stuff if needed not even sure who to contact If need support with anything
do you have any info for this jade. I am a member and would love to do this
JadeEver

Post by JadeEver »

Matherso wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:50 pm
JadeEver wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:50 pm I have kept mine as they are funding DGSA via the aspire program but you have to really search for the stuff if needed not even sure who to contact If need support with anything
you have to apply and the application is judged to if they realise the funding here is the link-
https://ciltuk.org.uk/Aspire
Matherso

Post by Matherso »

JadeEver wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:51 pm
you have to apply and the application is judged to if they realise the funding here is the link-
thank you jade
JadeEver

Post by JadeEver »

Matherso wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:51 pm

thank you jade
good luck 🤞🏻
Christar

Post by Christar »

thank you jade
I've gained both HGV and PCV TMCPCs through Aspire. It's a bit like Dragons Den when you apply, you have to put a lot of effort into the application explaining why they should invest in you then it goes in front of a committee to decide whether to fund what you've applied for.
I also looked into doing the NEBOSH national / general but was told it must be a "qualification directly related to road transport", so I've funded that myself and start it in September.
Matherso

Post by Matherso »

Christar wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:53 pm

thank you jade
I've gained both HGV and PCV TMCPCs through Aspire. It's a bit like Dragons Den when you apply, you have to put a lot of effort into the application explaining why they should invest in you then it goes in front of a committee to decide whether to fund what you've applied for.
I also looked into doing the NEBOSH national / general but was told it must be a "qualification directly related to road transport", so I've funded that myself and start it in September.
I funded my Nebosh myself. I have invested so much in myself and now running out of cash ha ha. I will.be teaching the adr very soon so think having the DGSA would be a massive pro for me
steppe50

Post by steppe50 »

I’ve paid my dues for years now, the Tyne tees section is very weak, there used to be a committee and they would arrange visits and meetings, but nothing for a couple of years. Other areas are very active. The higher the membership the higher the cost, I don’t see many job adverts requesting you must be a fellow.
The magazine is only interested in corporate and strategy, or big companies, I think CILT has forgotten it’s grass routes, I have to be a member, but look at the benefits of the other associations, may be money well spent
nigelec

Post by nigelec »

Many interesting online seminars, but i can see how it may feel an expense
Grahible

Post by Grahible »

You can get TMCPC, ADR, Class C and C+E via government skills bootcamps now
BillStill

Post by BillStill »

Conversely, I tried to join CILT and found the hoops wanted me to jump through absolutely not worth the effort. The application is a nonsense and the administration are too far up their own arse!
benines

Post by benines »

BillStill wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:55 pm Conversely, I tried to join CILT and found the hoops wanted me to jump through absolutely not worth the effort. The application is a nonsense and the administration are too far up their own arse!
Yeah, I agree with that. I’ve been a member for 25 years but I looked into upgrading my membership a couple of years ago and it was loads of hoops to jump through, just so I could pay them higher fees at the end of it. I didn’t bother.
Thielday

Post by Thielday »

I am a Chartered Member and I concur the message that events are important so I joined the regional committee. If there is an absence of a committee in any area it may be worth approaching the regional department at CILT HQ and establish one or support the existing one. 👍🏻

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”