This is a bit long-winded but may be benefit. If you read it please no sarcastic comments but feedback is always

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
trewayerJigg

Re: This is a bit long-winded but may be benefit. If you read it please no sarcastic comments but feedback is always

Post by trewayerJigg »

welbmo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:09 pm
trewayerJigg wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:09 pm
welbmo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:08 pm

on tour I will keep card in etc. as it says But when I’m gone. I won’t be making entries On tour absolutely as I’m being paid
do you just stick it on rest or do it properly? Change countries as soon as possible after crossing the border?
I do all the things the cpc tells you to do while in a working capacity. But my rest at home will remain unentered
crack on, get a fine and maybe you’ll learn it’s easier and cheaper to do a simple manual entry.
welbmo

Re: This is a bit long-winded but may be benefit. If you read it please no sarcastic comments but feedback is always

Post by welbmo »

do you just stick it on rest or do it properly? Change countries as soon as possible after crossing the border?
I do all the things the cpc tells you to do while in a working capacity. But my rest at home will remain unentered
crack on, get a fine and maybe you’ll learn it’s easier and cheaper to do a simple manual entry.
thanks
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

welbmo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:10 pm

thanks
why do you refuse to follow the rules of the job you do?
When you get fined for it your TM could well get a visit, he'd be questioned as to why he's not insisting you do it and what action is he going to take. It could lead to an audit, that could lead to a PI, you yourself could be called in by the TC - and you have to declare that on your licence renewal.
It's not just a case of you not wanting to, it's got far reaching consequences, your form could be targeted for stops to check compliance because of you.
It's not your choice as you claim, those are the rules. By flouting them you make life difficult for everyone, hardly professional conduct.
welbmo

Post by welbmo »

Dayxana wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:10 pm

thanks
When you get fined for it your TM could well get a visit, he'd be questioned as to why he's not insisting you do it and what action is he going to take. It could lead to an audit, that could lead to a PI, you yourself could be called in by the TC - and you have to declare that on your licence renewal.
It's not just a case of you not wanting to, it's got far reaching consequences, your form could be targeted for stops to check compliance because of you.
It's not your choice as you claim, those are the rules. By flouting them you make life difficult for everyone, hardly professional conduct.
as stated above when I’m home they can assume my rest. While on tour I will follow the rules as I’m in a working capacity.
Yes it is my choice to do that and will remain my choice.
The difference here is I’m not doing their job for them they can assume my rest at home and see my rest on tour
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

welbmo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:11 pm

thanks
as stated above when I’m home they can assume my rest. While on tour I will follow the rules as I’m in a working capacity.
The difference here is I’m not doing their job for them they can assume my rest at home and see my rest on tour
it is NOT your choice.
You're not doing their job, it's doing yours while being paid to do it.
Your TM should be taking action against you, action that by the sound of it will result in formal disciplinary proceedings.
welbmo

Post by welbmo »

Dayxana wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:11 pm

it is NOT your choice.
Your TM should be taking action against you, action that by the sound of it will result in formal disciplinary proceedings.
so I’m being paid to record my rest at home
Listen Dayxana
It is my choice.
I’ve offered no advice nor sought advice particularly from the likes of yourself so I shall take your comments on board and file them in the usual place.
I choose not to record my rest at home and it’s that simple for me.
It does not affect your life so feel free to jump down from your self proclaimed lord of the road status and move along nicely and peacefully.
I’m aware what they want me to do and I won’t do any records of my time at home it is that simple for me
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

welbmo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:12 pm

it is NOT your choice.
Listen Dayxana
It is my choice.
I’ve offered no advice nor sought advice particularly from the likes of yourself so I shall take your comments on board and file them in the usual place.
It does not affect your life so feel free to jump down from your self proclaimed lord of the road status and move along nicely and peacefully.
I’m aware what they want me to do and I won’t do any records of my time at home it is that simple for me
🤣 you're not being asked to anything in your time away. You're being paid at work to do your job which includes compliance with the rules, but it's ok because you think you're above the law.
Best not moan on here when you get a £300 fine, or sacked, because you'll get a collective "we told you so"
I bet you think older experienced drivers are dinosaurs and need to move with the times too, well we do and we run legal.
You're right though, it doesn't affect my life (it would if I worked for the same co) so I don't care if you end up in shit street
welbmo

Post by welbmo »

Dayxana wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:12 pm

it is NOT your choice.
Listen Dayxana
It is my choice.
🤣 you're not being asked to anything in your time away. You're being paid at work to do your job which includes compliance with the rules, but it's ok because you think you're above the law.
Best not moan on here when you get a £300 fine, or sacked, because you'll get a collective "we told you so"
I bet you think older experienced drivers are dinosaurs and need to move with the times too, well we do and we run legal.
You're right though, it doesn't affect my life (it would if I worked for the same co) so I don't care if you end up in shit street
thanks for your major expertise.
No one above the law.
But everyone has a choice to do something I choose NOT to record my time at home
It’s that simple
To be fair I’m glad you don’t work same company some of your opinions would drive me to record other work on my days just for listening to some of your inputs I’ve seen on here
Have a good evening.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

welbmo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:13 pm

Listen Dayxana
It is my choice.
No one above the law.
But everyone has a choice to do something I choose NOT to record my time at home
It’s that simple
To be fair I’m glad you don’t work same company some of your opinions would drive me to record other work on my days just for listening to some of your inputs I’ve seen on here
Have a good evening.
good job you're only a driver and not an electrician or pilot or surgeon.
welbmo

Post by welbmo »

Dayxana wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:14 pm
welbmo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:13 pm

No one above the law.
It’s that simple
Have a good evening.
good job you're only a driver and not an electrician or pilot or surgeon.
I know imagine the possibilities ay mate?
All those missing records Jesus. You’re so right.
I mean just imagine the paperwork.
It be like reading one of your lectures.
I agree good job just a driver
Can’t do blood It reminds of me the tears I cry in boredom from your talks.
Pilot yeah decent job. But knowing my luck I’d end up with you as cabin manager pecking my head in such a short space for the entire flight and what’s more probably end up with a return journey with you too.
Oh the dread!
And electrician well not really a fan of wires. Many wires get crossed in this industry as it is. So technically I’m almost there.
Speaking of crossed wires did I mix my words up here? I don’t think so. Think I was quite clear
Enjoy driver
291-jameraze

Post by 291-jameraze »

Stoneridge tacho and its 'rest until now' function may have assisted this
elsto5ixio

Post by elsto5ixio »

Plod says he could've been working because he didn't do manual entries for rest.
He could do manual entries and spend his time off working cash in hand in a car wash, or cleaning windows.
If he's telling porkies how would anyone know?
The way I see it, time not recorded is rest.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

elsto5ixio wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:16 pm Plod says he could've been working because he didn't do manual entries for rest.
He could do manual entries and spend his time off working cash in hand in a car wash, or cleaning windows.
time not recorded used to be accepted as rest, not anymore.
Telling porkies if he's doing some CIH and not recording it it's falsification of records, a serious offence when/if caught
1774_dowen

Post by 1774_dowen »

elsto5ixio wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:16 pm Plod says he could've been working because he didn't do manual entries for rest.
I have always said that as well...
Keiven_fox

Post by Keiven_fox »

Thanks for all the feedback
I honestly thought when u put card on bed symbol. Take your card out after two or three minutes then when you start back and allow a couple minutes on bed symbol and that would cover me
Obviously not done a CBC course in 2022 and this was not mentioned
Anyway, thank you all
LeonGuy

Post by LeonGuy »

Keiven_fox wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:18 pm Thanks for all the feedback
I honestly thought when u put card on bed symbol. Take your card out after two or three minutes then when you start back and allow a couple minutes on bed symbol and that would cover me
Anyway, thank you all
The card registers nothing whilst not inserted, so it doesn't matter what mode it's on when ejected. You must manually record periods when the card is not inserted. This can be manually inputed on the card or written on a tacho paper or chart. Most of the latest tachos ask " rest until now" All you have to do is confirm and the rest period is recorded. Older tacho's will record the unknown period as? (unknown activities.) Unless you manually record rest? is not accepted by dvsa as a record of rest.
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

Anyway, thank you all
nope. Taking your card out on rest doesn’t do anything other than create a false entry. You can’t tell the card what you will be doing in advance. You can only tell it what you have done when you insert your card and do a manual entry after your rest.
Keiven_fox

Post by Keiven_fox »

trewayerJigg wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:19 pm
Anyway, thank you all
nope. Taking your card out on rest doesn’t do anything other than create a false entry. You can’t tell the card what you will be doing in advance. You can only tell it what you have done when you insert your card and do a manual entry after your rest.
You must admit a bloody farce though
Should gone to Tesco an nicked something probably only had a small fine
Or stuck myself to the road cause chaos an get told off
O well I have learnt
trewayerJigg

Post by trewayerJigg »

Keiven_fox wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:21 pm
trewayerJigg wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:19 pm
Anyway, thank you all
You must admit a bloody farce though
Should gone to Tesco an nicked something probably only had a small fine
Or stuck myself to the road cause chaos an get told off
O well I have learnt
what? The regs have been out for a long time, it’s quite simple to do a correct manual entry.
Oakletion

Post by Oakletion »

This article from RouteOne explains the regulation. And remember, all manual entries should be made in UTC time.
https://www.route-one.net/legal/keeping ... ted-rules/
JAMOSERLO

Post by JAMOSERLO »

It depends on how you have entered it on your card. You should be able to choice saying something like rest till now then you should be ok! It could be that the police guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about and you might be able to appeal!!
critic+craigg

Post by critic+craigg »

So,
What's a driver to do when he doesn't work for say, 3 months ?
rubsTobby

Post by rubsTobby »

critic+craigg wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:27 pm So,
you’re better off directing that question to your companies Transport Manager.
They’re paid to know the rules rather than getting opinions from a Social Media Group and trying to work out which ones are correct.
To be fair there are some people on here who always post the correct information and are helpful but for some reason get criticized by the ones who don’t like the answers given.
geoid1390

Post by geoid1390 »

Manual entry on your first day back isn't it? One entry for the whole period of rest, assuming you haven't worked for the entire period?
What's worst is for drivers who do majority domestic and then have to do an EU job once every 3 months. You've got to create 28 days worth of records for your domestic duties.
I ask our staff who do those odd EU jobs to keep manual analogue charts for each day.
ForBobOne

Post by ForBobOne »

I had 4 month off. Soon as you put card in it asks what you've done since last day worked till started back just put in rest it takes about 20 seconds. I'm on a zero hour contract as it suits me when I want to work. Its so easy to do
127-danibber

Post by 127-danibber »

Yes. despite the tacho units showing rest, we also now have to manually enter rest also when we first put our cards back in. It is daft, but the officer is indeed correct
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

127-danibber wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:31 pm Yes. despite the tacho units showing rest, we also now have to manually enter rest also when we first put our cards back in. It is daft, but the officer is indeed correct
it's not daft, a tacho showing rest with no card isn't recording anything
127-danibber

Post by 127-danibber »

Dayxana wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:31 pm
127-danibber wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:31 pm Yes. despite the tacho units showing rest, we also now have to manually enter rest also when we first put our cards back in. It is daft, but the officer is indeed correct
the tacho unit on my vehicle asks you the question “rest until now?” to which you enter yes pre rule change. That is not sufficient now. You must enter “no” and then submit a manual entry showing rest until now.
In my opinion, that is 100% daft and ten seconds of my life that could be better spent drinking Monster and smoking a cigarette. But hey - opinions and arseholes my friend 🙂
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

127-danibber wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:33 pm
the tacho unit on my vehicle asks you the question “rest until now?” to which you enter yes pre rule change. That is not sufficient now. You must enter “no” and then submit a manual entry showing rest until now.
In my opinion, that is 100% daft and ten seconds of my life that could be better spent drinking Monster and smoking a cigarette. But hey - opinions and arseholes my friend 🙂
it's your employers time not yours.
You'd only press "no" if you have work to input manually. If you've been on rest it's only a case of "ok" ing each day.
iaguy

Post by iaguy »

Dayxana wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:33 pm

You'd only press "no" if you have work to input manually. If you've been on rest it's only a case of "ok" ing each day.
doing a manual entry still doesn’t prove you haven’t worked
127-danibber

Post by 127-danibber »

Does my employer own my life? No. I make a choice to donate my time in exchange for financial compensation. My time is mine. No one elses. I am not “owned” like an animal thank you very much 🙂
and nope considering my tacho print out unless i input it as a manual error shows as question mark. Did try the theory, but this particular tacho unit doesn't like it sadly. Its ten seconds at the end of the day, just seems pointless and daft. Technology; both fabulous and useless at the same time 😂
127-danibber

Post by 127-danibber »

iaguy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:34 pm

nope but it is a legal document and the crime would be falsifying records if it was later proven you had worked at your local of license on your rest day etc. Used to run a candle making sideline and came a cropper due to the rules 🙁
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

127-danibber wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:35 pm

Does my employer own my life? No. I make a choice to donate my time in exchange for financial compensation. My time is mine. No one elses. I am not “owned” like an animal thank you very much 🙂
and nope considering my tacho print out unless i input it as a manual error shows as question mark. Did try the theory, but this particular tacho unit doesn't like it sadly. Its ten seconds at the end of the day, just seems pointless and daft. Technology; both fabulous and useless at the same time 😂
entitled much 🙄
127-danibber

Post by 127-danibber »

Dayxana wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:35 pm

entitled much 🙄
oh my days. Sorry but I genuinely just cannot fathom you sometimes 😂 Hang on, five minutes while i stop laughing. 😂
1774_dowen

Post by 1774_dowen »

entitled much 🙄
Yes it is very Daft.. Tacho Law has just got worse/ More stupid and petty over the years.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

I know it doesn't, but then you're falsifying records
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

127-danibber wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:36 pm

entitled much 🙄
oh my days. Sorry but I genuinely just cannot fathom you sometimes 😂 Hang on, five minutes while i stop laughing. 😂
your boss owns the time while you're at work, other than breaks, manual entries are part of your working day
iaguy

Post by iaguy »

Dayxana wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:38 pm

we have all done it over the years
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

iaguy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:38 pm

most people don't perform the manual entries they're required to tbh, especially those away from home
iaguy

Post by iaguy »

Dayxana wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:39 pm

most people don't perform the manual entries they're required to tbh, especially those away from home
I was tramping so put card in Monday and left it in all week
127-danibber

Post by 127-danibber »

127-danibber wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:36 pm

entitled much 🙄
your boss owns the time while you're at work, other than breaks, manual entries are part of your working day
and i dispute the word “own”, not the concept, nor inputting a manual entry the long way, not using the simple way provided by the tacho unit. My employer financially compensates me for my time between x hour and y hour to complete a set of tasks. You wouldnt employ a plumber and tell them “i own your time”. no. You employ the plumber to complete a job, and pay a fixed day rate or an hourly rate for the job completion.
This is the 21st century, not the dark ages
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

iaguy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:39 pm
Dayxana wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:39 pm

I was tramping so put card in Monday and left it in all week
I leave my card in 24/7, it only comes out on my 45 or holidays as there's a chance the coach will be used.
Just had over 2 weeks off, so when my card goes in on Tuesday morning it'll be a quick and simple manual entry to cover that time since Jan 26th
iacent

Post by iacent »

Ok ill put my tacho card in the mrs when i come home and when they ask why did u do that cos i was pumping the mrs its nothing to do with police dvsa what u do in ur free time
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

iacent wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:41 pm Ok ill put my tacho card in the mrs when i come home and when they ask why did u do that cos i was pumping the mrs its nothing to do with police dvsa what u do in ur free time
it is.
alveyeBas

Post by alveyeBas »

Been law as you say for a while. Tachos ask you for manual entry every time card goes in. Just say yes & enter it ,takes seconds whether it’s for daily,weekly or annually.
CPC this week so I’ll see what else has changed.
JAYENFO.DJ

Post by JAYENFO.DJ »

Alright Keiven long time no see 😂
dannerl

Post by dannerl »

The way I approach this. When you first insert the card and machine reads manual entry y/n, press yes . It should then flash up the date and time you took the card out and the current time. Make a manual entry showing the total time as rest, press OK then change the mode to other work and start walk round check. This would then confirm you have been at rest rather than it assuming you've been at rest. Hope this makes sense. I do this every time I take the tacho out
Keiven_fox

Post by Keiven_fox »

dannerl wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:45 pm The way I approach this. When you first insert the card and machine reads manual entry y/n, press yes . It should then flash up the date and time you took the card out and the current time. Make a manual entry showing the total time as rest, press OK then change the mode to other work and start walk round check. This would then confirm you have been at rest rather than it assuming you've been at rest. Hope this makes sense. I do this every time I take the tacho out
Yes that’s what I have Ben doing since god knows when
But now he said must have a manual print out
From when you start rest to when you finish
Well I learn the hard way
£300
BRyanoxen

Post by BRyanoxen »

Some right idiots on here who think the rules don't apply to them.
You say you took legal advice that proved you wrong but still think you're right, are you thick?
So let's have the full story.
Why exactly were you stopped?
Where were you pulled in to?
Pax on or not?
Was it police or DVSA?
wintt4freen

Post by wintt4freen »

You're wrong, he's right. It's been law for last few years (since covid I believe!), but they have been lenient on most drivers for this offence until now; apparently they will be coming down hard on it after September, once everyone has been through the latest batch of CPC training.
Every minute of every day needs to be accounted for, be that card in and recording driving, work, rest or manual entries / written log for anything else in between. It doesn't have to be on your digi card though, any legal format is acceptable (although if you work solely on digi then it's the quickest and easiest way to do it!)

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”