May I have your thoughts on this Guys 'n Gals. Start at the beginning. I did my daily walk round check and I signed

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Partell.Xion

May I have your thoughts on this Guys 'n Gals. Start at the beginning. I did my daily walk round check and I signed

Post by Partell.Xion »

May I have your thoughts on this Guys 'n Gals.
Start at the beginning. I did my daily walk round check and I signed it off as ok no issues because I didn't see any etc I then proceeded to go about my day without any problems UNTIL I get basically towards the end of my shift. I then hear a noise which I thought to myself isn't 'normal' and a slight vibration of the steering when turning in one direction. Upon all, I stopped to investigate when it was safe to do so, had a look around but couldn't see anything obviously wrong (I aint no mechanic) I proceeded back to the yard carefully knowing something isn't right and on further inspection by the works mechanic he noticed a number of wheel nuts had become loose, now I know some people may say I should have spotted this but it was pretty hard to see unless you looked real real close and basically as a non mechanic type it was easy to miss (in my opinion) just to add, there are no wheel indicators on this wheel after previously asking for some. Boss is basically asking me how this happened and it's my fault in a nutshell. I feel pretty sh**ty at this to be honest as I realize I or someone else could have been seriously hurt or even killed. I just had to air this, I'm sure I'll get some sh**ty remarks but hey ho.
haugeeRack

Re: May I have your thoughts on this Guys 'n Gals. Start at the beginning. I did my daily walk round check and I signed

Post by haugeeRack »

Tommoz a diff day no 1 hurt pal chin up
Edwarte.Airr

Re: May I have your thoughts on this Guys 'n Gals. Start at the beginning. I did my daily walk round check and I signed

Post by Edwarte.Airr »

Unfortunately if there’s no wheel nut indicators it’s pretty difficult to see a loose wheel nut especially if it’s got trims on.
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

Edwarte.Airr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 pm Unfortunately if there’s no wheel nut indicators it’s pretty difficult to see a loose wheel nut especially if it’s got trims on.
It had trims on, boss said I should have checked with my fingers wtf
Edwarte.Airr

Post by Edwarte.Airr »

Partell.Xion wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:33 pm
Edwarte.Airr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 pm Unfortunately if there’s no wheel nut indicators it’s pretty difficult to see a loose wheel nut especially if it’s got trims on.
they don’t have to be finger tight to work themselves loose. I’d be asking the question who last took them off.
deckfind

Post by deckfind »

Edwarte.Airr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:33 pm
they don’t have to be finger tight to work themselves loose. I’d be asking the question who last took them off.
wouldn't matter who took them off tyre fitter usually give you a card saying wheel removed check after 30 miles so passing the buck back to driver
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

deckfind wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:34 pm

wouldn't matter who took them off tyre fitter usually give you a card saying wheel removed check after 30 miles so passing the buck back to driver
fair point, pretty sure that tyre was recently replaced too!
jamietter

Post by jamietter »

Partell.Xion wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:34 pm
deckfind wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:34 pm

fair point, pretty sure that tyre was recently replaced too!
I don’t know what job your on here wether it’s an 8 wheeler muck away truck or an artic on a tipper. I tip on intakes a lot which takes average 25 minutes and whilst tipping I always walk around the truck and check tyres wheel nuts lights etc every time I tip. I know then I keep on top of things that may be an issue. The truck has also got a bar and socket for the wheel nuts In the locker. If you have one it never hurts to go around a and check them if your unsure
Wilsoney

Post by Wilsoney »

Nobody was injured just crack on mate
Chris_Choice

Post by Chris_Choice »

The company I worked for we had to tourqe all the wheels up at least once a week part of there walk round procedures
mickta

Post by mickta »

Chris_Choice wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 pm The company I worked for we had to tourqe all the wheels up at least once a week part of there walk round procedures
Old school practice. At least once a week wheel brace a bit tube and check yer wheel nuts. Prevention is better than cure or worse.
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

mickta wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:39 pm
Chris_Choice wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 pm The company I worked for we had to tourqe all the wheels up at least once a week part of there walk round procedures
Old school practice. At least once a week wheel brace a bit tube and check yer wheel nuts. Prevention is better than cure or worse.
will be asking for a wheel brace when I see the boss and insist on wheel indicators too otherwise I ain't driving it. Will also ask when it was Las torqued up properly.
mickta

Post by mickta »

Partell.Xion wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:39 pm
will be asking for a wheel brace when I see the boss and insist on wheel indicators too otherwise I ain't driving it. Will also ask when it was Las torqued up properly.
Good thinking.
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

mickta wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:40 pm

Good thinking.
Lesson learnt the hard way, just glad nobody came to harm but it shines a light on the company and it's standard of vehicles, I know I am no the problem here.
Chris_Choice

Post by Chris_Choice »

Partell.Xion wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:40 pm

Good thinking.
Lesson learnt the hard way, just glad nobody came to harm but it shines a light on the company and it's standard of vehicles, I know I am no the problem here.
mate just get into your own habit make a note for your own peace of mind and check and Adjust if necessary at least once a week and every truck you are moved to another, all for safety mate and protection of the Truck I.e beam axel damage etc. take care......
Osull7ment

Post by Osull7ment »

Partell.Xion wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:40 pm

Good thinking.
u are. Open ur eyes
lee.positive

Post by lee.positive »

we still do mate 👍
Chris_Choice

Post by Chris_Choice »

lee.positive wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:42 pm
we still do mate 👍
yep I know Lee good practice especially when you change trucks midweek, takes 15 mins of your time always ask someone to help no big deal, job done....🙏👍
Ryan.Laxr

Post by Ryan.Laxr »

Tell your boss your motto is ride it till the wheels fall off
hopper

Post by hopper »

Wheel nuts work loose, that's why they need retorqueing regularly.
Really, unless you have a a torque wrench to check with you can't really check unless they are very loose.
DeBazzleso

Post by DeBazzleso »

hopper wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:44 pm Wheel nuts work loose, that's why they need retorqueing regularly.
Really, unless you have a a torque wrench to check with you can't really check unless they are very loose.
your right and this why all our drivers carry wheel brace and have markers on wheels
Derekel

Post by Derekel »

DeBazzleso wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:45 pm
hopper wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:44 pm Wheel nuts work loose, that's why they need retorqueing regularly.
your right and this why all our drivers carry wheel brace and have markers on wheels
I thought all wagons carried a wheel brace, I did and piece of scaffolding tube. Use to check regularly also tyre pressure
jomz1088

Post by jomz1088 »

Tell him exactly what youv put.
Ask him next time if he would prefer you to stop the truck and call out a mechanic. Ask him for a procedure in case it happens next time.
Ask him about nut indicators, ask him how often the wheels are torque checked and by who? Explain your not a mechanic, tell him you tried your best and looked.
He’s got more to answer for then you, sounds like you did all you could. Keep smiling.
jimgead

Post by jimgead »

jomz1088 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:46 pm Tell him exactly what youv put.
Ask him next time if he would prefer you to stop the truck and call out a mechanic. Ask him for a procedure in case it happens next time.
Ask him about nut indicators, ask him how often the wheels are torque checked and by who? Explain your not a mechanic, tell him you tried your best and looked.
He’s got more to answer for then you, sounds like you did all you could. Keep smiling.
drivers responsibility!!! Clearly, a walk round check wasn't done thorough enough!! So once again, drivers responsibility!!!
jomz1088

Post by jomz1088 »

jimgead wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:47 pm
drivers responsibility!!! Clearly, a walk round check wasn't done thorough enough!! So once again, drivers responsibility!!!
Clearly? Do you torque/tap your nuts daily?
If there not obviously loose/signs of rust drips etc visually not much a driver can do. But indicators facilitate this check.
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

Ok mate, there we go case closed
ChRaw

Post by ChRaw »

jomz1088 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:47 pm
If there not obviously loose/signs of rust drips etc visually not much a driver can do. But indicators facilitate this check.
if it's vibrating etc then they are clearly loose.
jomz1088

Post by jomz1088 »

ChRaw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:48 pm

Wouldn’t disagree with that.
martinmed

Post by martinmed »

jomz1088 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:49 pm

facilitate not prevent
martinmed

Post by martinmed »

if it vibrates its fallin off
ChRaw

Post by ChRaw »

martinmed wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:49 pm

facilitate not prevent
or nearly has in this case the driver claiming its not their fault as they aren't a mechanic but if its that loose its vibrating then only a blind person couldn't see it on a visual inspection
jimgead

Post by jimgead »

it is a part of your daily walkaround if the driver is not confident enough to see if there's loose wheel nuts the driver should not be driving. It is fully the drivers responsibility regardless he's okayed it in Morning and signed it off so if the wheel comes off it is nobody's fault besides from the drivers not his bosses the drivers! no point saying not having Will not aligners because if you go for test mot,er will make you remove them So he can see and check there are no loose nuts! The best outcome for this situation is to ask your company or boss for a toque wrench for your own satisfaction to check them on a daily basis or weekly basis! Put this on never happen because drivers are lazy bastards and only in it for the money and couldn't give two Fucks about the truck! And same old story it's never the drivers fault is it?
ChRaw

Post by ChRaw »

jimgead wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 pm

it is a part of your daily walkaround if the driver is not confident enough to see if there's loose wheel nuts the driver should not be driving. It is fully the drivers responsibility regardless he's okayed it in Morning and signed it off so if the wheel comes off it is nobody's fault besides from the drivers not his bosses the drivers! no point saying not having Will not aligners because if you go for test mot,er will make you remove them So he can see and check there are no loose nuts! The best outcome for this situation is to ask your company or boss for a toque wrench for your own satisfaction to check them on a daily basis or weekly basis! Put this on never happen because drivers are lazy bastards and only in it for the money and couldn't give two Fucks about the truck! And same old story it's never the drivers fault is it?
exactly if it's that bad it's affecting steering then a visual inspection would tell you
Alcoccu

Post by Alcoccu »

I bet there's very few drivers can honestly say this has never happened to them, but that's not to say you shouldn't get a going over by the boss as let's be honest it costs money. At the end of the day learn from it and move on hopefully being a little more vigilant 😊👍
moranth82

Post by moranth82 »

Alcoccu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:53 pm I bet there's very few drivers can honestly say this has never happened to them, but that's not to say you shouldn't get a going over by the boss as let's be honest it costs money. At the end of the day learn from it and move on hopefully being a little more vigilant 😊👍
how do you check andy you dont carry a wheel brace
Alcoccu

Post by Alcoccu »

moranth82 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:53 pm
Alcoccu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:53 pm I bet there's very few drivers can honestly say this has never happened to them, but that's not to say you shouldn't get a going over by the boss as let's be honest it costs money. At the end of the day learn from it and move on hopefully being a little more vigilant 😊👍
how do you check andy you dont carry a wheel brace
it might be difficult to the untrained 👁‍🗨 but when you've being around as long as me you get a feel for these things. I can't explain it I guess I'm just Bloody Good 🤔😁
allon.inside

Post by allon.inside »

If you could feel they were loose, they were very loose. I’d give you the push tbh
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

allon.inside wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 pm If you could feel they were loose, they were very loose. I’d give you the push tbh
You wouldn't be able to move them with your bare hands - they moved when a massive torque wrench bar went on with not a great deal of effort.
allon.inside

Post by allon.inside »

Partell.Xion wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:55 pm
allon.inside wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 pm If you could feel they were loose, they were very loose. I’d give you the push tbh
You wouldn't be able to move them with your bare hands - they moved when a massive torque wrench bar went on with not a great deal of effort.
is it your first day?
Partell.Xion

Post by Partell.Xion »

allon.inside wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:55 pm
Partell.Xion wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:55 pm
is it your first day?
No why?
Morgue

Post by Morgue »

At least it wasn’t vosa that discovered it 😂
deanzing

Post by deanzing »

It happens mate don’t beat yourself up
Danny_wiak

Post by Danny_wiak »

One that came in to our site to tip last week.
Lucky we spotted it as the driver didn’t have a clue. 🤷‍♂️
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (78.74 KiB) Viewed 209 times
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Ask your boss for wheel brace
Kevness

Post by Kevness »

An experienced tipper driver would look for this with the symtoms you described,I’m not having a dig pal but if you thought something was wrong it might have been an idea to get someone out just to check else it could have been a lot worse ,it’s common for tipper wheel nuts to work loose that’s why I’m forever cracking them up ,don’t get me wrong I’m no angel ive lost back wheels and knackered a rear hub but that was down to the garage cause they didn’t torque the wheels after it come out and I only got15 mile up the rd before I noticed
peter_10X

Post by peter_10X »

If no wheel nut indicators and its your regular truck check regular with a bar or torque wrench apply presure until it clicks providing torque setting is correct / if using a bar just put enough presure to check they are tight,you are not tightening them due to risk of stretching the studs .
If you know if a wheel has been removed make sure they are checked at least once or twice in a day / shift with no wheel indicators...if a vehicle has wheel indicators same applies check regular after wheel has been off ..
Generally you can see if wheeler nuts are coming loose they will look slightly out of shape to old marks on the wheels where they had been , their will or could be a line of rust or brake dust from the wheel nut leading down the wheel that's fresh or looks fresh it's not uncommon to see old rust residue if that makes sense ..
Emmate

Post by Emmate »

Not your fault that they'd loosened, but I would question why you didn't stop and get someone out (or at least phone the boss and if he said crack on then you've covered your arse) when something didn't feel right. Once you can feel that a wheel is loose it's very loose, you'd see it.
BOBueview

Post by BOBueview »

I bet you’re not the first and won’t be the last I’ve been on tippers for nearly 20 years and seen it dozens of times ask the boss for a wheel brace for you’re truck you don’t need to torque them every day I check mine with it’s own bar every 2nd nut maybe twice a week unless there’s been wheels off 99% of our guys over tighten nuts using the torque wrench as a bar and all that does is stretch the studs and then plagued with snapped studs , a quick nip up with its own bar is suffice when they’ve been re torque a couple of times after being off , more rigorous checks required if you’re in and out of cold water
DevinTSonn

Post by DevinTSonn »

only takes a few minuets to go round wi a wheel brace
EvanTy

Post by EvanTy »

Put it down to experience Chin up and check the vehicle twice a day especially after your break
BhobyGton

Post by BhobyGton »

I've worked for firms that make you sign on your contract that you agree to torque the wheels weekly and then sign a sheet on the day you did it, on several occasions I witnessed a guy torque his wheels on the Thursday evening and when I've gone to use that truck on the Saturday (as it was the usual Saturday truck) I've found loose wheel nuts on it, once I got used to it having loose ones I knew what I was looking for, particularly if it had been raining and there were little rust marks on the rim. Best thing I found if you aren't sure is give each nut a gentle tap with a pin hammer or metal bar, if you tap it on a downward side as if you would be undoing the nut it will move slightly if it's loose
joycent

Post by joycent »

Theres some right c**ty remarks on here. But as anything if you aren’t told you’re not going to know.
I started tipper driving about a year ago and my current boss always said look for water marks from the nuts. Sometimes they’ll be loose. Sometimes they won’t. But if you’ve got them theres no harm running around with a bar but I’ve always been told if they are loose when you check them do the whole wheel not just the ones with water marks. Don’t know if this’ll help pal
Danged

Post by Danged »

Part of daily checks, first thing you need to know is wheel nuts, lesson learned 🤷🏻‍♂️
kevin_evan

Post by kevin_evan »

The company I work for has been advised by trucktyre NOT to keep constantly torqueing the wheel nuts as it stretches the studs if
they are warm and leads to them eventually snapping off .
We're told to keep our eyes on the indicators, and the office gets an alert on their screens if they loosen,as they have an electronic warning system.
The tyre fitters also recommend NOT to do a 3rd re-torque .
I think we've got it easy 😄
Mathewor

Post by Mathewor »

Buy yourself a small pin / tapping hammer and tap them every morning as part of your check put your fingers under as u go get the fitter to slacken one off to try and you will notice a significant difference in the sound if one or more is loose 👌🏻
Anicaneo

Post by Anicaneo »

When was that wheel last come off? To change a tyre etc.?
Adaximi59

Post by Adaximi59 »

How many times a week do you torque your nuts up
ChRaw

Post by ChRaw »

Not read all the comments but if it's causing a problem with steering etc then a simple visual check will tell you there's a problem and if you can't see it then it just goes to show why most drivers don't even deserve minimum wage
Simmore

Post by Simmore »

Sorry in a nut shell your at though
peter-meter

Post by peter-meter »

Did you phone your office to report issue and seek advice at first feeling defect . ?
If not why not ? You have already stated you felt a slight vibration so that is going to be a wheel / steering / propshaft / universal joint problem.
I've been in the Transport Industry over 40 years as a driver , router , coordinator, Manager ,always call your line manager or office to report the problem and let them make the decision on what to do .
If you are late home so ! what it happens it's called The Haulage Industry and sh*t happens always look after yourself and your licence.
fowlero

Post by fowlero »

Get a tapping hammer. That’s what we use in most garages to assess if a faster is tight. Dull thud means loose a ping means tight. Usual. Some times nuts can become tight before there all the way down. check this by looking at the threads and if they look a different amount, touch the washer behind and try to move it
patashe

Post by patashe »

Should be a wheel brace in every truck
PpaulAce

Post by PpaulAce »

Does your vehicle carry any tools, ie, a wheel brace and bar? If not, and there are no nut indicators it ain’t your problem. You can’t check wheel nuts with your fingers. Even if you could torque to 50 ft lbs with your hand, the f**kin wheel would fall off by lunchtime.
NICHOME

Post by NICHOME »

The first thing that I would have been asked is when did you last put a torque wrench on them nuts ! Good chance its buggered the wheel and the studs
Sull_mister

Post by Sull_mister »

If they loose in the evening,doesn't mean they were loose in the morning,a walk around check is a visual check by a competent person,does not mean they have to be mechanic or fitter,studs loosen from time to time,happend to 80% of the people who drive trucks,if that wheel was changed lately, its up to the fitter to re check it,
Jomaxq

Post by Jomaxq »

My thoughts is your company should invest in wheel markers, and my experience the only time in 30 years of driving a HGV the only time I heard of a wheel to come off was because a tyre fitters hadn't done his job properly.
Mickyte

Post by Mickyte »

See it as a lesson learned. Best thing to do is look for rusty lines , flares from the nuts. Sometimes it will indicate a loose nut but not always. In the mornings tap every nut with small hammer, try hold the nut as you you tap. If you feel a vibration from the nut it's either loose or the stud is cracked or needs a re-torque. Make it a daily routine mate. A quick walk around after you tip won't hurt either. These things can happen quick.
mekkiMetro

Post by mekkiMetro »

Re torque every week and record handed in every Friday
KEOppers

Post by KEOppers »

The company should have a policy were wheel nuts are torqued weekly and any wheel removed should be torqued 2 or 3 times over the following day, This will drastically reduce the chance of a loose wheel, A driver should also be notified if a wheel has been removed or replaced I would be asking this question, But wheel nuts must always been thoroughly checked before shift and a walk around mid shift ,
Derekel

Post by Derekel »

KEOppers wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:16 pm The company should have a policy were wheel nuts are torqued weekly and any wheel removed should be torqued 2 or 3 times over the following day, This will drastically reduce the chance of a loose wheel, A driver should also be notified if a wheel has been removed or replaced I would be asking this question, But wheel nuts must always been thoroughly checked before shift and a walk around mid shift ,
me and mate travelled from Carnforth Lancashire to Wrexham one afternoon with 2 loads of limestone dust, when we reached site which looked like a disused airfield mate turned in,next thing 2 wheels appeared rolling down the road. He'd lost o/s drive wheels. We struggled for ages to uncouple trailer, I then went and tipped and left him to remove Airlines etc and I would go and tip his trailer .when I got back what f**King mess he had forgot the tipping pipe oil running downhill towards maiñ road,we must have shoveled 2ton of lime off his load to soak up the oil. That was because fitters had taken wheels off night before and not left a note.
Joeport

Post by Joeport »

I hate wheel nut indicators, seen too many loose wheel nuts on other vehicles and driver say they haven't moved and you can spin to washer freely by hand. Don't know how long you been driving for but the best way in my opinion is, one check for visual dirt/rust marks and then tap them with a little hammer or if you haven't a hammer see if you can move the nut or washer. If you are ever in doubt get the torque wrench out.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”