My son wants to start up his own business delivering cars. Can anyone get any advice please.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Keirio

Re: My son wants to start up his own business delivering cars. Can anyone get any advice please.

Post by Keirio »

Make sure he's got decent GIT Insurance and takes loads of photos every time he loads/unloads any vehicle as; in my experience of moving cars; everyone is trying to pass off any (pre-existing) damage onto the haulier! Even major dealerships, repair shops and factories are at it!
robium

Re: My son wants to start up his own business delivering cars. Can anyone get any advice please.

Post by robium »

CChrisio wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:02 pm
robium wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:01 pm Hire and reward 2.5 tonne o licence req from now
depends on weight of recovery truck
2.5T !!!!!
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

robium wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:03 pm
robium wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:01 pm Hire and reward 2.5 tonne o licence req from now
2.5T !!!!!
he thought it was 3.5 tonne
Sinclairre678

Post by Sinclairre678 »

Are you ready ? This is only for people with ideas and the correct work ethic.
Begin - create a limited coy. Don’t sign anything which puts your assets on the line… no joint and several liability loans, no securities… over anything you can’t afford to lose- like your house, you need capital. forget socializing for a bit, one week holidays at year two, none at year one, - make a plan- write it down - make a financial plan & write it down- - make a start. Be reliable, resourceful and dependable, go the extra mile, communicate effectively. Admin help - family maybe, accountant?
Don’t worry about where to start after the plan, bank and money, Just start!
Build foundations for your investment. Don’t take any pay for 3 months if possible. Work hard develop existing relationships and set time aside to actually visit people who will give instruction. Be neat and tidy, be clean, be well organized. Don’t listen to the radio think about work and think again and do t procrastinate. Do it! Don’t take every job. Leave the bad jobs for your competitors or charge the right money for these. Always charge. No freebies… short accounts… Don’t allow (debt owed or created) to build Exceptions apply. Make mistakes… It’ll happen. Not everyone is nice - most are!
I did this 32 years ago! It’ll work.
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

Sinclairre678 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:05 pm Are you ready ? This is only for people with ideas and the correct work ethic.
Begin - create a limited coy. Don’t sign anything which puts your assets on the line… no joint and several liability loans, no securities… over anything you can’t afford to lose- like your house, you need capital. forget socializing for a bit, one week holidays at year two, none at year one, - make a plan- write it down - make a financial plan & write it down- - make a start. Be reliable, resourceful and dependable, go the extra mile, communicate effectively. Admin help - family maybe, accountant?
Don’t worry about where to start after the plan, bank and money, Just start!
Build foundations for your investment. Don’t take any pay for 3 months if possible. Work hard develop existing relationships and set time aside to actually visit people who will give instruction. Be neat and tidy, be clean, be well organized. Don’t listen to the radio think about work and think again and do t procrastinate. Do it! Don’t take every job. Leave the bad jobs for your competitors or charge the right money for these. Always charge. No freebies… short accounts… Don’t allow (debt owed or created) to build Exceptions apply. Make mistakes… It’ll happen. Not everyone is nice - most are!
I did this 32 years ago! It’ll work.
thank you that sound good advice
Alextrol

Post by Alextrol »

Start with a 7.5t and have some decent insurance
robium

Post by robium »

Alextrol wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:06 pm Start with a 7.5t and have some decent insurance
No o licence
deanger

Post by deanger »

To many people in the game now unfortunately
Darroxig

Post by Darroxig »

Dont listen to anyone, most people speak from there own pathetic performances in life, and then put their negative view on your idea, Life is about learning Growing and most of all making Your own Mistakes.
With all the best advice in the world your going to make 100s if not 1000s of mistakes but these are hurdles that will make or break you.
And if you last the test of time these mistakes are what make you the best in your chosen industry because you overcame and understand them and you brought the shirt.
So give it a go buckle up and let the Games begin. Goodluck👍
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

Darroxig wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:08 pm Dont listen to anyone, most people speak from there own pathetic performances in life, and then put their negative view on your idea, Life is about learning Growing and most of all making Your own Mistakes.
With all the best advice in the world your going to make 100s if not 1000s of mistakes but these are hurdles that will make or break you.
And if you last the test of time these mistakes are what make you the best in your chosen industry because you overcame and understand them and you brought the shirt.
So give it a go buckle up and let the Games begin. Goodluck👍
thank you
tamaxin

Post by tamaxin »

I'd check insurance first very expensive
Nigemove.Plus

Post by Nigemove.Plus »

Hi Paulynn, I’ve got family coming over shortly so can give you/your son too much time at the moment. I’m no expert but I’ve looked at this as I used too ok deliver all over the country. I even went down the track of thinking about and researching the lightest weight trucks. I’m assuming you’re talking about a 3.5t transporter. Although I’ve done both types of deliveries. Driven and 3.5t transporter. Networking is key. Happy to chat and I wish him all the best, either way start up won’t be cheap. But everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck to him and happy to give some advice if it helps. 👍
ioanBean

Post by ioanBean »

If he can afford to deliver me a Lamborghini Urus as a X-mas gift, I would appreciate it.
Would share milk and cookies 😄😋
Hik4view

Post by Hik4view »

Well the other week i broke down and called AA, they send recovery from another company “partner”, maybe he can try first to speak with AA and RAC becoming partners.
Nigemove.Plus

Post by Nigemove.Plus »

Hik4view wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:11 pm Well the other week i broke down and called AA, they send recovery from another company “partner”, maybe he can try first to speak with AA and RAC becoming partners.
he could try and it’s not bad advice. But however I know you need deep pockets and a proven track record to get in with the RAC/AA. Ie trucks on the road, etc.
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

Nigemove.Plus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:11 pm
Hik4view wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:11 pm Well the other week i broke down and called AA, they send recovery from another company “partner”, maybe he can try first to speak with AA and RAC becoming partners.
he could try and it’s not bad advice. But however I know you need deep pockets and a proven track record to get in with the RAC/AA. Ie trucks on the road, etc.
well he works for a recovery firm the boss says they only make 40£ off the RAC
Nigemove.Plus

Post by Nigemove.Plus »

Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:11 pm
I wouldn’t sneeze on the RAC, terrible firm. Treated me like sh** when my near new car broke down took them 10hrs to recover me and nine days for the car to arrive 200miles back at the garage for repair. Complained in writing and got a basically f** email back! We are AA members never had a problem with them over the years.
Paulynn-Jas

Post by Paulynn-Jas »

Nigemove.Plus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:12 pm
Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:11 pm

I wouldn’t sneeze on the RAC, terrible firm. Treated me like sh** when my near new car broke down took them 10hrs to recover me and nine days for the car to arrive 200miles back at the garage for repair. Complained in writing and got a basically f** email back! We are AA members never had a problem with them over the years.
yes I am with RAC at the moment big mistake
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

Paulynn-Jas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:03 pm
robium wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:03 pm

2.5T !!!!!
he thought it was 3.5 tonne
It is over 3509kg as you thought. The 2.5t only applies going abroad
Staying under 3.5t avoids O licence etc but hugely limits what can be carried
Going to 3501kg or more leaps into I licence (standard not restricted) so need qualified TM, tacho etc.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”