Gentleman, what are your thoughts on electric trucks for inner city/short rang stuff? Rigid or arty. Very useful!

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Emuell_Raz

Gentleman, what are your thoughts on electric trucks for inner city/short rang stuff? Rigid or arty. Very useful!

Post by Emuell_Raz »

Gentleman, what are your thoughts on electric trucks for inner city/short rang stuff? Rigid or arty.
I love my electric rigid.
Very useful!
Brownse

Re: Gentleman, what are your thoughts on electric trucks for inner city/short rang stuff? Rigid or arty. Very useful!

Post by Brownse »

west8yno wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:23 pm No good want happen
happening now.
west8yno

Re: Gentleman, what are your thoughts on electric trucks for inner city/short rang stuff? Rigid or arty. Very useful!

Post by west8yno »

Brownse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:24 pm
happening now.
wagons want be doing job always br on charge
Brownse

Post by Brownse »

west8yno wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:24 pm
happening now.
few companies using them now. No good for tramping granted but that’s not the intention. For short range they are ideal for a company wanting their “so called” green intentions.
west8yno

Post by west8yno »

Brownse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:25 pm
west8yno wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:24 pm

happening now.
few companies using them now. No good for tramping granted but that’s not the intention. For short range they are ideal for a company wanting their “so called” green intentions.
yes might work for them
Vauxinvo486

Post by Vauxinvo486 »

it's already happened 🤣🤣 DHL have electric units and wincanton have had 7.5t mitsubushis for a few years now
RowAlly

Post by RowAlly »

I think that's what they will get used for at first, Shunting also.
indengo25

Post by indengo25 »

Each companies have their own requirements, some might only do 50mls a day.
It would make more sense to have them for shunters in big companies, with swappable battery packs like the forklifts.
sakells-saint

Post by sakells-saint »

It should be electric only on the inside of the 25 saves us all having to go to that s**t hole
iammj

Post by iammj »

sakells-saint wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:28 pm It should be electric only on the inside of the 25 saves us all having to go to that s**t hole
fortunately mine is camera free , so I can't go in
sakells-saint

Post by sakells-saint »

iammj wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:28 pm
sakells-saint wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:28 pm It should be electric only on the inside of the 25 saves us all having to go to that s**t hole
fortunately mine is camera free , so I can't go in
what a pitty 😂
Emuell_Raz

Post by Emuell_Raz »

i always stay within the 25. And only do 40/50 miles a day
DevinTSonn

Post by DevinTSonn »

Emuell_Raz wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:29 pm
i’d rather do more miles and not go to that sh*t hole
iammj

Post by iammj »

it was bad enough in the mid to late 90s when I was delivering to Buckingham Palace, St james Palace, Clarence House, hospitals, hotels and schools all around London, I think I'd be a mixture of suicidal and psychotic if spent my days doing that now
Emuell_Raz

Post by Emuell_Raz »

iammj wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:30 pm
it was bad enough in the mid to late 90s when I was delivering to Buckingham Palace, St james Palace, Clarence House, hospitals, hotels and schools all around London, I think I'd be a mixture of suicidal and psychotic if spent my days doing that now
i do central and city of London. It’s fun.
iammj

Post by iammj »

Emuell_Raz wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:31 pm
iammj wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:30 pm

i do central and city of London. It’s fun.
I do remember it being easier in the middle - it was mainly the hassle of getting through the burbs
wayp7ros

Post by wayp7ros »

you’ve made me feel absolutely blessed drive… 🙏🙄
magu8lens

Post by magu8lens »

and nowt bigger than a rigid unless it absolutely has to be. Driving an artic in London is horrendous
passhe

Post by passhe »

HGV's dont pay ULEZ anyway. You must have only DVS System intalled on it.
Pettek1248

Post by Pettek1248 »

passhe wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:33 pm
HGV's dont pay ULEZ anyway. You must have only DVS System intalled on it.
older hgvs do pay the ulez if they are not euro 6.
Jom.Periall

Post by Jom.Periall »

Don't really see the point.
Batteries are just chemical flywheels. You gotta spin them up from a generator and then hope they last long enough to get the job done; why not our the middle man and just have the generator powering the wheels?
RAVENSO

Post by RAVENSO »

Personal opinion I hate electric vehicles, I want to hear engine roars, exhausts and smell diesel, get that v8 revving black soot everywhere!!
GINGEST.08

Post by GINGEST.08 »

Don't think electric vehicles in general are a good idea as the life of the batteries are terrible the cost to human life people inculing children are dying mining the minerals for the batteries with the mining, manufacturing and shipping causes more emissions than a diesel car would in 10 years that includes the manufacturing process so anyone who thinks all eletric will save the planet are misguided what all electric means is the government have control of when you drive as they control the power grid and with new cars having built in WiFi then they will be able to tap into your car and disable it as for all electric trucks it's not viable as the weight of the batteries will be a good few ton on there own so what would you be able to carry
Clevi1612

Post by Clevi1612 »

They definitely have their place in some circumstances but I’m sure you won’t see them tramping or on distance work in my lifetime.
jamesst1276

Post by jamesst1276 »

Your obviously a ex V8 scania fantastic with Bluetooth in your sun glasses 😉😉🥰🥰
Emuell_Raz

Post by Emuell_Raz »

jamesst1276 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:39 pm Your obviously a ex V8 scania fantastic with Bluetooth in your sun glasses 😉😉🥰🥰
dude i want to drive a v8 scania. It’s a dream of mine.
jamesst1276

Post by jamesst1276 »

Emuell_Raz wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:39 pm
jamesst1276 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:39 pm Your obviously a ex V8 scania fantastic with Bluetooth in your sun glasses 😉😉🥰🥰
dude i want to drive a v8 scania. It’s a dream of mine.
very nice bud we all have dreams I'm only joking with everyone
proberteo

Post by proberteo »

See Tesco unit today in London
Mich1ngdo

Post by Mich1ngdo »

Way I see it we're being forced into electric whether we like it or not but it's going to have to be scaled back to a point where it's more practical. For long haul tramper drivers battery electric trucks just aren't going to cut it in terms or range or charging time. I'm really not a fan of electric vehicles in general but I think they have their use. For smaller trucks doing local store deliveries etc where they'll spend half their time parked on bays at RDCs where they could be charged while loading I think they're a great idea. Cuts air pollution in cities and brings a higher percentage of HGVs electric. It's just not practical to expect the haulage industry to just ditch diesel altogether within a matter of years, there needs to be a mix.
mc6britto

Post by mc6britto »

Hope the battery last longer than the electric pallet trucks.
hughxu

Post by hughxu »

Could do with an electric rigid myself.
ashFortune

Post by ashFortune »

Seen this today think drive said 160 range on full charge
Attachments
Electric.jpg
Electric.jpg (444.88 KiB) Viewed 71 times
HaworrJan

Post by HaworrJan »

I think they work, if you can return at the end of the day with least 30%.
steverie

Post by steverie »

FACT.. distance between charges around 500km, time to recharge 8 hours, spare battery £10,000, and now the true fact. Less than 350km before needing recharge when fully loaded (that's motorway miles) recharge 10+ hours, and cost of 2nd battery is well over £15000 lies from the woke fools... no infrastructure for trucks that have to run the country, and stupid misguided people who can't recognise what truckers have to do to do there job's
evans_tux

Post by evans_tux »

Brought up in the fiftys where local delivery's where with a lot of electric vehicles..
PpaulAce

Post by PpaulAce »

Cant see how its practical without more respect for drive times/ waiting. with the level of road closures/ congestion shit traffic management you cant plan with a diesel so an Electric would cause more issues regardless of short/ long. People wonder why haulage is struggling and some morons are blaming it on adding a few quid to drivers hourly rate.
kelKendo

Post by kelKendo »

I don't see anything wrong with using electric trucks on short hauls. Fiddle with the settings and I bet it will take off.
wayp7ros

Post by wayp7ros »

Keep them in the city
I’m a diesel cowboy… I’d retire if I was forced to drive an electric vehicle 💯
GINGEST.08

Post by GINGEST.08 »

wayp7ros wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:48 pm Keep them in the city
I’m a diesel cowboy… I’d retire if I was forced to drive an electric vehicle 💯
Electric trucks I wouldn't even drive an electric car if its not combustible I'm not driving it.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”