Hello, looking for any advice regarding LTD drivers, a friend of mine whom is a self employed builder has also been

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
JULENELS

Hello, looking for any advice regarding LTD drivers, a friend of mine whom is a self employed builder has also been

Post by JULENELS »

Hello, looking for any advice regarding LTD drivers, a friend of mine whom is a self employed builder has also been doing some casual driving for a company on a self employed basis, he don’t own his own truck it’s purely him driving for someone else. They are now asking him to go LTD. Is there any benefits to him doing this?
TIA
JULENELS

Re: Hello, looking for any advice regarding LTD drivers, a friend of mine whom is a self employed builder has also been

Post by JULENELS »

GreatGordom wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:53 pm For you or this friend 🤷‍♂️
a friend he is not on here
ZoeUnit

Re: Hello, looking for any advice regarding LTD drivers, a friend of mine whom is a self employed builder has also been

Post by ZoeUnit »

JULENELS wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 pm
Not sure why they need him Ltd that doesn’t benefit them ?
JULENELS

Post by JULENELS »

ZoeUnit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 pm
this is what he is wondering and why they can’t keep him self employed 🤷‍♀️
ZoeUnit

Post by ZoeUnit »

JULENELS wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:55 pm

normally it’s the other way around
JULENELS

Post by JULENELS »

ZoeUnit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:56 pm

oh really didn’t know that thanks
ZoeUnit

Post by ZoeUnit »

JULENELS wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:56 pm

happy to speak to him if he wants too
JULENELS

Post by JULENELS »

thank you will let him know
hickbox

Post by hickbox »

unfortunately any parson employing any body regardless of occupation as self employed, are liable for there tax past and present if that that person hasn't paid any or are behind with it....if they were a ltd then they are not..liable...also if you to work for a company for to long they have to employ you not classed as self employed ...if ltd this is ruled out..and any body starts saying bolock I have the fine and paperwork to prove, it was very costly...never a self employed person again...not saying all the same..just ltd is safer....
SebrioMell

Post by SebrioMell »

if they take someone on LTD they don't have to deal with payslips, holiday etc as they will get only invoice from him
JULENELS

Post by JULENELS »

SebrioMell wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:58 pm

if they take someone on LTD they don't have to deal with payslips, holiday etc as they will get only invoice from him
they don’t at the moment he just gives them an invoice?
SebrioMell

Post by SebrioMell »

JULENELS wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:59 pm

I've been driving as ltd driver before ir35 was in force. And I was sending invoice every week. But if he do driving job occasionally it's not worth for him to open ltd company because ..probably ...he will need use an accountant unless he knows how to deal with taxes, vat etc himself. But like I said before...if you don't do it full time it's not worth.
JULENELS

Post by JULENELS »

SebrioMell wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:59 pm

I've been driving as ltd driver before ir35 was in force. And I was sending invoice every week. But if he do driving job occasionally it's not worth for him to open ltd company because ..probably ...he will need use an accountant unless he knows how to deal with taxes, vat etc himself. But like I said before...if you don't do it full time it's not worth.
thanks he already has an accountant for his self employment but at the moment won’t be driving full time so can’t see it’s worth going LTD like you say
ZoeUnit

Post by ZoeUnit »

That’s not true
ZoeUnit

Post by ZoeUnit »

SebrioMell wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:59 pm

again not true
SebrioMell

Post by SebrioMell »

ZoeUnit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:00 pm

That’s not true
what is no true. Doing driving job time to time, deal with VAT, corporation tax? I have paid 100quids a month to accountant. Before ir35 a lot of drivers including me have been driving as a ltd company. On full time it was worth cos like everyone know we paid less tax. But after COVID, when a lot of people were paid for sitting at home (I don't blame them, I blame government) taxman found out it's a black hole in the budget. So now they don't want normal people pay less taxes...except them.🤷 So if I am wrong ,please tell me what is not true what I said? I am glad to gain my knowledge
ZoeUnit

Post by ZoeUnit »

SebrioMell wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:01 pm

That’s not true
what is no true. Doing driving job time to time, deal with VAT, corporation tax? I have paid 100quids a month to accountant. Before ir35 a lot of drivers including me have been driving as a ltd company. On full time it was worth cos like everyone know we paid less tax. But after COVID, when a lot of people were paid for sitting at home (I don't blame them, I blame government) taxman found out it's a black hole in the budget. So now they don't want normal people pay less taxes...except them.🤷 So if I am wrong ,please tell me what is not true what I said? I am glad to gain my knowledge
being self employed the people you work for are not responsible for your tax
ZoeUnit

Post by ZoeUnit »

That’s not true
ir35 is a thing yes but this guy is self employed not limited
SebrioMell

Post by SebrioMell »

ZoeUnit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 pm

That’s not true
please check the post again 😉 this guy has been asked to work as ltd
Nigeloomi

Post by Nigeloomi »

SebrioMell wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:03 pm

please check the post again 😉 this guy has been asked to work as ltd
Ir35 has been in place since 2000, just not really enforced.
Nigeloomi

Post by Nigeloomi »

That’s not true
Being self employed (sole trader) means that the if you fail to pay your taxes they can go after the who paid you, providing it is worth it. Ltd companies have always been responsible for paying their own taxes but reforms to ir35 means that if you work for a large company and fail to pay due taxes they will go after the end client to get their money.
ZoeUnit

Post by ZoeUnit »

Nigeloomi wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:04 pm

Being self employed (sole trader) means that the if you fail to pay your taxes they can go after the who paid you, providing it is worth it. Ltd companies have always been responsible for paying their own taxes but reforms to ir35 means that if you work for a large company and fail to pay due taxes they will go after the end client to get their money.
never seen this in 25 years of accountancy
Nigeloomi

Post by Nigeloomi »

ZoeUnit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:04 pm

Never seen a company end up with a sole traders tax bill! I have Troy Foods in Leeds.
They ended up with over £30k in taxes to pay for a self employed driver they had used for 3yrs.
ZoeUnit

Post by ZoeUnit »

Never seen a company end up with a sole traders tax bill! I have Troy Foods in Leeds.
They ended up with over £30k in taxes to pay for a self employed driver they had used for 3yrs.
well maybe they didn’t put the right processes in place
Nigeloomi

Post by Nigeloomi »

ZoeUnit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:05 pm

They just assumed he would pay his taxes 🤷‍♂️
ZoeUnit

Post by ZoeUnit »

Nigeloomi wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:05 pm

I find the situation a little strange to honest self employed is self employed
Nigeloomi

Post by Nigeloomi »

ZoeUnit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:06 pm

There is always a risk in using "self employed" companies use them to reduce their costs, that’s why the ir35 reforms put the liabilities onto larger companies using Ltd contractors.
ZoeUnit

Post by ZoeUnit »

Nigeloomi wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:06 pm
ZoeUnit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:06 pm

There is always a risk in using "self employed" companies use them to reduce their costs, that’s why the ir35 reforms put the liabilities onto larger companies using Ltd contractors.
Not employed
CharlieWas

Post by CharlieWas »

jeandspo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:07 pm https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/truck- ... ed-legally
Decision by Kevin Rooney tc
Worth reading
he’s done that for quite a few hauliers
walatime

Post by walatime »

If you mean self employed as a 'sole trader' then a lot of companies get 'windy' because if the sole trader doesn't pay HMRC then technically HMRC can chase the customer as he is technically in their employ.
If he is a Limited Company driver then the customer has no liability in the event that he does not pay HMRC. This said, the traffic commissioner does not like companies who crew their vehicles permanently with Limited Company drivers and will take action against companies that do.
JULENELS

Post by JULENELS »

walatime wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:09 pm If you mean self employed as a 'sole trader' then a lot of companies get 'windy' because if the sole trader doesn't pay HMRC then technically HMRC can chase the customer as he is technically in their employ.
If he is a Limited Company driver then the customer has no liability in the event that he does not pay HMRC. This said, the traffic commissioner does not like companies who crew their vehicles permanently with Limited Company drivers and will take action against companies that do.
ah right that makes sense now, he has been self employed for a lot of years so doesn’t have problems with the HMRC but I understand why the employer may get twitchy now thanks
walatime

Post by walatime »

JULENELS wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:09 pm
walatime wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:09 pm If you mean self employed as a 'sole trader' then a lot of companies get 'windy' because if the sole trader doesn't pay HMRC then technically HMRC can chase the customer as he is technically in their employ.
ah right that makes sense now, he has been self employed for a lot of years so doesn’t have problems with the HMRC but I understand why the employer may get twitchy now thanks
know quite a few local companies who were fined for using sole traders because the sole trader did a bunk... Agencies won't touch sole traders.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”