Hi guys, Long story short I’m looking at pursuing a career as transport manager and I have a couple of questions.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Tomcee766

Hi guys, Long story short I’m looking at pursuing a career as transport manager and I have a couple of questions.

Post by Tomcee766 »

Hi guys, please delete if not allowed. I’ll try and keep it brief but I’m doing an apprenticeship as a transport operations supervisor and part of that I get my tm cpc. I’m currently in a position where I’m working out what career path to take. Long story short I’m looking at pursuing a career as transport manager and I have a couple of questions.
Mainly how hard is it to get a job as an internal TM after being a new pass?
I’ve worked in the removals industry as a manager/hgv driver for the last 8 years (the other option is take on the removal company as it’s my dads and he’s retiring) but don’t have much experience in the world of general haulage so was looking at doing some artic driving for a year or so to get a little bit of experience within the haulage industry if that’s a good idea/needed?
What would be a rough wage I’d be earning as a new pass and experienced TM? I know area plays a part in this
I’m 23 so wondering if being young would hamper my chances of getting a job as a TM?
Really struggling to work out what to do as I know there’s pros and cons of both 🤣
Any other advice would be appreciated too! Cheers all!
I should add that due to the current downturn in the housing market and having to scale down to cut overheads I’d be taking it on with 2 Luton’s (lorry will be sold) 1 member of staff and the company name. Almost starting from scratch but with the company name. If I take it on I’d be very hands on, as it isn’t big enough for me to have an office based role, with me going out on jobs in the day then catching up with office work in the evening
Tomcee766

Re: Hi guys, Long story short I’m looking at pursuing a career as transport manager and I have a couple of questions.

Post by Tomcee766 »

johni.cabo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:25 pm Make more money driving them.
id get fed up of being on my own all day to be honest
RichBest

Re: Hi guys, Long story short I’m looking at pursuing a career as transport manager and I have a couple of questions.

Post by RichBest »

johni.cabo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:25 pm Make more money driving them.
driving trucks is sh*t tho.
JephLatest

Post by JephLatest »

I'd recommend getting an assistant TM role if you're keen on doing that career path, logistics can be quite different from removals, an IOSH or equivalent is handy for the role as well, good luck
BillStill

Post by BillStill »

Hi Tomcee, always willing to have a chat if required.
1359.shelly

Post by 1359.shelly »

I am also doing the apprenticeship is it the logistics and warehouse one you are doing?
Tomcee766

Post by Tomcee766 »

1359.shelly wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:29 pm I am also doing the apprenticeship is it the logistics and warehouse one you are doing?
yep that’s the one. I’m doing it with TRS training
1359.shelly

Post by 1359.shelly »

Tomcee766 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:30 pm
1359.shelly wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:29 pm I am also doing the apprenticeship is it the logistics and warehouse one you are doing?
yep that’s the one. I’m doing it with TRS training
cool, do you have to do the year long project as well? Good luck for the future
Colisman

Post by Colisman »

Your earnings as a TM are limited by the 4 clients 50 vehicle rule, your earnings as a driver are limited by the driving hours. Take over the family business, by all means be your own TM, drive some, but having multiple people's hours sold and keeping some for you is likely the winner.
callenwe

Post by callenwe »

Colisman wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:31 pm Your earnings as a TM are limited by the 4 clients 50 vehicle rule, your earnings as a driver are limited by the driving hours. Take over the family business, by all means be your own TM, drive some, but having multiple people's hours sold and keeping some for you is likely the winner.
not as an internal TM, the restrictions are only that strict with externals although an internal would need to justify how they could cope with a larger number of vehicles
Colisman

Post by Colisman »

callenwe wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:31 pm
Colisman wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:31 pm Your earnings as a TM are limited by the 4 clients 50 vehicle rule, your earnings as a driver are limited by the driving hours. Take over the family business, by all means be your own TM, drive some, but having multiple people's hours sold and keeping some for you is likely the winner.
not as an internal TM, the restrictions are only that strict with externals although an internal would need to justify how they could cope with a larger number of vehicles
true but how many are on £100k a year.
callenwe

Post by callenwe »

Colisman wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:31 pm
callenwe wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:31 pm
true but how many are on £100k a year.
think the most I ever got was £60k and that was managing a team with over 200 vehicles.
gollwant39

Post by gollwant39 »

I suspect that you could struggle with getting an internal role due to your age, but I may well be wrong on this. Right place at the right time and you are in.
The number of vehicles will denote the pay grade.
You are clearly articulate, and I am sure you will do well.
richielte

Post by richielte »

Do the apprenticeship and then take over your Dad's business if it's a good viable business 🤷🏼‍♂️
You're only 23, so I wouldn't be too worried about earning big money as you need to build up a wide variety of experience to start earning decent money as a TM and that experience could take a few years to gain 👍
alundp

Post by alundp »

Personally I would take on the TM role at your dad’s company and see where you go from there. It will teach you a lot i.e dealing with maintenance etc, and I think it would teach you more about drivers hours than general haulage would, as Removal Drivers do more than just drive, so planning their days is more involved. Just my opinion but I have done work in both fields
Norve-dall

Post by Norve-dall »

As others have said, I would complete your course and look to take on your Dad's business, you have a good place to start from then. If after a while you want to diversify the business you have already shown you can successfully run it which will help with borrowing and so on. Worth asking if you could shadow a TM local to you to get a feel for another type of operation, just to build your knowledge. Good luck with it.
James.com

Post by James.com »

Where are you based? And are you mobile?
Also interested to know what your expectation is…
Tomcee766

Post by Tomcee766 »

James.com wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 pm Where are you based? And are you mobile?
Also interested to know what your expectation is…
Cambridgeshire, expectation as in wage?
callenwe

Post by callenwe »

You would be better working with your dad's fleet for a year or two if only to show more experience on your CV.
Like any job an employer will want someone experienced over someone who isn't
Darrenetnz

Post by Darrenetnz »

Your asking the wage for an experienced TM which your not at this stage. Personally I think you’ll struggle to get a TM job at your age and with the little experience and knowledge you have. Would you employ yourself if you were looking for a TM or take on a guy a lot older that’s been there and done it all with a proven track record? I’d take a driving job for a good few years and keep up to date with the legislation before putting yourself out there for a TM position. Good luck
Tomcee766

Post by Tomcee766 »

Darrenetnz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:36 pm Your asking the wage for an experienced TM which your not at this stage. Personally I think you’ll struggle to get a TM job at your age and with the little experience and knowledge you have. Would you employ yourself if you were looking for a TM or take on a guy a lot older that’s been there and done it all with a proven track record? I’d take a driving job for a good few years and keep up to date with the legislation before putting yourself out there for a TM position. Good luck
cheers, I wasn’t sure if I had a better chance trying to work for a bigger firm to start with? as I wouldn’t expect a small operator to take me on as the sole TM 🤔
chiariBug

Post by chiariBug »

Just get the qual in the bag whilst you’ve got the opportunity. Who knows what opportunities you might get in the future.
Tomcee766

Post by Tomcee766 »

chiariBug wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 pm Just get the qual in the bag whilst you’ve got the opportunity. Who knows what opportunities you might get in the future.
yeah I’m doing the qualification but unsure what to do after that 🤣
chiariBug

Post by chiariBug »

Tomcee766 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:38 pm
chiariBug wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 pm Just get the qual in the bag whilst you’ve got the opportunity. Who knows what opportunities you might get in the future.
yeah I’m doing the qualification but unsure what to do after that 🤣
Ha yeh but at least you’ll have options. It is a bit of a bad time for the industry in general so don’t get discouraged if you don’t see a lot of opportunities at the moment.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”