Hi, A useful guide for all of you which I thought I’d post after seeing so many don’t understand how the WTD works

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
OAP Trucker

Re: Hi, A useful guide for all of you which I thought I’d post after seeing so many don’t understand how the WTD works

Post by OAP Trucker »

dautie02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:15 am
Gillo-xand wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:14 am
dautie02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:14 am

You only require a break if working time in TOTAL is more than 6hrs in a shift. That break can be taken on or before 6hrs. My guide is spot on, as you are missing the vital words “in total” 👌🏻
going from my experience i started work at 0000 i did my checkes went to 2 other depots to get stock and drove to my destination arrived at my destination at 0600 and put it on break immediately (i normaly have a 15 min break before i set off to my final destination but didnt this particular day) when i got back to base i had an infringement and tachomaster stated i should have taken my break at or before 0545
“Tachomaster” was wrong then. You don’t have to complete a break within 6hrs of other work/driving, it has to be STARTED by no later than 6hrs.
Potentially that is a ‘company policy’ requirement, but not a legal requirement.
Correct, as long as company policy complies with the WTD, that's the break pattern you are required to follow as you can be sacked for not adhering to policy regardless of you how think you're allowed to take it.
OAP Trucker

Re: Hi, A useful guide for all of you which I thought I’d post after seeing so many don’t understand how the WTD works

Post by OAP Trucker »

Gillo-xand wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:13 am You need a 15 min break before you get to 6 hour
That's only because you're lazy and don't know the rules.
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

saRaTinkers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:31 am
dautie02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:30 am
saRaTinkers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:30 am

so are you saying that my company can have the tacho programmed to insist I start my break before the 6 hour mark then?
Plus I didn’t say 30 mins for 6 hours I said I would have to take 30 mins if I worked over the 6 hours, which is what your post says, correct?
Yes. Any company can implement any system they want, but regardless of any company policy, the regs are the regs. You may get an infringement from your company for not starting a break before reaching 6hrs of working time, but if you got pulled by the DVSA and they checked your tacho, if you started a break after 6hrs bang on you wouldn’t be an issue with them.
GV262 supersedes any company policy.
well it seems like, more often than not, people on various wtd posts have similar restrictions on theirs and like me I doubt any want to take that risk. Regardless of what any paperwork says and some people’s insistence, if we are faced with restrictions through our tacho, it is what we have to follow. People pushing it at us that we are not entitled to take a break within the first 6 hours, because their rule book says so, only confuses new drivers and frustrates others as we know what we are faced with daily on shift through the eagle eyes that are our tachos. It is not as cut and dry as you are making out when you push the rule book’s narrative but too many of us are faced with things differently day in and day out. We are told that you follow the tacho, so we do and it’s still a problem for some.
Your post is word salad...

He stated what the correct legal minimum requirements are (i.e for those trying to fit their loads in and plan their day). They're not fixed in stone as the maximum. However if you are tired, need a break to refocus when driving then you should take one regardless of whether it is due as it's a safety issue.

He's correct you're NOT REQUIRED to take 15 mins before 6 hrs but if you know your shift will exceed it, there's nothing stopping you from doing so either as long as you complete the required totals for the rest of your shift.

As long as your company is happy with how you complete your workload and the amount of breaks and it complies with the law, then it doesn't matter a jot.

As for the heroes who take the bare minimum of breaks (legal or not), should you nod off and have an accident, taking the bare minimum won't save you from prosecution if it's proven you nodded off.
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

dautie02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:28 am
saRaTinkers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:28 am
Gillo-xand wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:13 am You need a 15 min break before you get to 6 hour
mine does the same. I have to start my 15 (minimum) break before the counter gets to 6hours wtd otherwise it gives an infringement. I try to take my card out by 5.59 and end my shift otherwise it’s a 30 min break even if I only need to work 5 more mins.
That’s company policy then as you don’t need 30 minutes to cover 6hrs working time 🤷🏼
If you're having to do 6hrs work straight without having any sort of break, you're working for the wrong company anyways.
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

saRaTinkers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:40 am
dautie02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:40 am
saRaTinkers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:31 am

well it seems like, more often than not, people on various wtd posts have similar restrictions on theirs and like me I doubt any want to take that risk. Regardless of what any paperwork says and some people’s insistence, if we are faced with restrictions through our tacho, it is what we have to follow. People pushing it at us that we are not entitled to take a break within the first 6 hours, because their rule book says so, only confuses new drivers and frustrates others as we know what we are faced with daily on shift through the eagle eyes that are our tachos. It is not as cut and dry as you are making out when you push the rule book’s narrative but too many of us are faced with things differently day in and day out. We are told that you follow the tacho, so we do and it’s still a problem for some.
The point of the post is not to TELL people when to have a break, just what the legalities are about taking breaks. I will agree that all drivers should abide by their company’s policy to save any hassle with them, but drivers also need to know the legal side of things. Again, when it comes to being stopped by the DVSA, they couldn’t care less about company’s policy’s, just what’s legal.
what you seem to not understand with your post is that most of us have had this shoved down our necks day in and day out, how many have mentioned about having 15 mins within the 6 hours?! A high percentage I bet, because it would seem a high percentage of companies are doing it this way. So when someone comes on and says it and all the arrogant ‘know it alls’ say this same thing, tensions get high! Even more arrogant when you know why their tacho is doing this with them and you do not mention it, you just make them feel stupid and push ‘the law’ at them again! Which you have just done to me and countless others throughout this post! Many like me have no choice but to assume the tacho is set with dvsa laws and the infringements are only via dvsa as we are told all through training countless times how dvsa check our tacho for infringements and we will be fined.
If you want to push your knowledge then use it to help and not just to blindly (or purposely) make people feel stupid!
Then don't argue when you're assuming stuff and and don't know the facts. You don't need to assume "tachos are set to dvsa laws"... The law is there in black and white on the gov website and freely available for checking.
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

saRaTinkers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:42 am
dautie02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:41 am
saRaTinkers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:40 am

what you seem to not understand with your post is that most of us have had this shoved down our necks day in and day out, how many have mentioned about having 15 mins within the 6 hours?! A high percentage I bet, because it would seem a high percentage of companies are doing it this way. So when someone comes on and says it and all the arrogant ‘know it alls’ say this same thing, tensions get high! Even more arrogant when you know why their tacho is doing this with them and you do not mention it, you just make them feel stupid and push ‘the law’ at them again! Which you have just done to me and countless others throughout this post! Many like me have no choice but to assume the tacho is set with dvsa laws and the infringements are only via dvsa as we are told all through training countless times how dvsa check our tacho for infringements and we will be fined.
If you want to push your knowledge then use it to help and not just to blindly (or purposely) make people feel stupid!
The aim of the post was to give people factual advice. If people (and there’s been a few) don’t want to believe what’s in the post then that’s up to them. Quite a few if you read all of the comments have said it’s wrong, yet not one single person has explained why it’s wrong. They just keep on and on saying it’s wrong. To be fair to me I’ve remained quite calm in my responses however frustrated I’ve been with those people, especially the one who keeps calling me a n*nce.
You commented, and I replied to you with a factual/helpful response, but you seem to have jumped down my throat for some reason. Before slagging off someone take a look at yourself first in how you yourself appear to be.
Hopefully you’ll get out of bed the right side this morning……..
slagged you off?! Hardly. When you clearly have an answer to their issue with the posting and do not pass it on, only wanting to push the fact that it is law and do not clear up for them what is happening. You are purposely winding people up. Factual advise is meaningless if the subsections of a situation are left unanswered! If so many people are getting frustrated with your answers, it is not us who need to reflect upon our replies!
I will explain the problem in a simple term you may be able to understand…..
It’s like you Insisting milkshake is just milk by law, when all who taste it know it’s not just plain milk but don’t know that the flavour can be adjusted by others. you are denying them their knowledge that it’s not just milk and insisting that the law states it’s milk and they are stupid for thinking otherwise, even though you know there is the option to add a flavour!! Do you get why people are frustrated with your answers now??! Hardly factual or helpful if you do not include ALL the facts!!! Just stating that you are providing us with this information when it’s plastered all over the place is a waste of everyone’s time, when it doesn’t clear up the situation!
Maybe you have raised yourself out of bed with a better head this morning!
He appears calm, concise, coherent... you on the other hand are a raging mess judging by your responses, though this could be caused by mad cow's disease through drinking too many milkshakes...
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

saRaTinkers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:44 am
dautie02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:43 am
saRaTinkers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:42 am

slagged you off?! Hardly. When you clearly have an answer to their issue with the posting and do not pass it on, only wanting to push the fact that it is law and do not clear up for them what is happening. You are purposely winding people up. Factual advise is meaningless if the subsections of a situation are left unanswered! If so many people are getting frustrated with your answers, it is not us who need to reflect upon our replies!
I will explain the problem in a simple term you may be able to understand…..
It’s like you Insisting milkshake is just milk by law, when all who taste it know it’s not just plain milk but don’t know that the flavour can be adjusted by others. you are denying them their knowledge that it’s not just milk and insisting that the law states it’s milk and they are stupid for thinking otherwise, even though you know there is the option to add a flavour!! Do you get why people are frustrated with your answers now??! Hardly factual or helpful if you do not include ALL the facts!!! Just stating that you are providing us with this information when it’s plastered all over the place is a waste of everyone’s time, when it doesn’t clear up the situation!
Maybe you have raised yourself out of bed with a better head this morning!
Yet again you are not understanding what is going on. I put up the post, and as I do in all forums I explain to those who don’t understand things where they are going wrong, and correct people who disagree with the facts. For example, if someone states that you can only use 3 reductions in a week I explain that they can actually do 6, as there’s a difference between a fixed week, and a working week, and that reductions are calculated between weekly rests. If someone then chooses to argue that wrong then of course there will be a discussion’ with myself explaining again. If they choose to keep arguing I’m wrong then that’s up to them. However, I back my argument up with info from an official source, whereas they use random Google searches which a lot of are wrong. Some will choose to accept my guidance.
Again, if you read through the comments on this post you will see that numerous are stating what I’ve posted is incorrect, yet seem to refuse to explain why they think it is, or use any sort of evidence as to why. None of them have offered a reason why, so how, other than tell them to look in GV262, can I expand any further? Take yourself for example, at least you gave a scenario which I then explained why it was incorrect. Most of the others haven’t, so how am I supposed to respond with more help/advice/guidance?
once again you are ignoring the fact that unless it is brought to you, which they cannot do if they do not understand the situation, you are giving meaningless information. I got it out of you by laying it out like a child before you gave the information! You are not giving the knowledge that so many are not understanding. Which questions, why bother?! Quoting and insisting upon paperwork they can read daily does not help practical people! You are arguing with people like they know about situations beyond any information they can access. I have googled in as many ways as possible the information I have put to you and all it ever does is throw the information you have been throwing at people! Until I handed it to you on a plate you refused to acknowledge it existed. This is why people result in name calling, they feel it is their last resort as so many people like yourself are online doing the same thing. Instead of quoting this alone, maybe from now on add as context that a company can programme your tacho to insist upon a break within 6 hours. So even though the law states one is not needed (which applies to workers without a tacho and it will probably be written within their working hours contract) Drivers may not be given the same information.
Anyway I have a mummy lunch to get ready for so have a good Sunday.
He quoting the law, it's hardly meaningless...

If you struggle to comprehend basic facts, that's your problem.

1. Tachos are only there to record your driving hours/other work/ poa/ break information. They can be programmed to "alert" for breaks as set by you or your company. They are not a guide to the law.

2. The law is the law... period, it's clear and not meaningless and YOU need to understand it as "following company policy" is no excuse to breaking it. See the thread where a company wanted a driver to do an illegal shift (assuming he wasn't operating under domestic rules).

3. Laws are a mandatory minimum, they can be exceeded. I drove out of Tilbury (power station) and left early in the morning to avoid traffic into London on my first load of the day, drove back, loaded up and then went and parked next to the local cafe and enjoyed a good breakfast for an hour and a half... because it was pointless being on the road and sitting eating up driving time... whilst other driver were still trying to complete their first load of the day... There's no right or wrong way to plan your day. Now do you think my boss grudged me my lengthy break?

4. Company policy whether it's technically correct trumps the law (as long as it's compliant with the law) simply because they can sack you for failing to adhere to it (given the appropriate warnings). However it's company specific and not the law.

5. If you don't like the advice given, especially when it's correct, move along grumpy.
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

delyo2250 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:59 am
BENEVILL wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:57 am The first sentence is worded wrong. If anybody says otherwise, read the fourth paragraph. It supersedes the first sentence.
first one says up to 6 hours no break required, 4th one says over 6hrs requires 15 minutes break. Maybe I am reading it wrong
UP TO and OVER are two entirely different things... not sure how you're reading it to be honest. It's straight forward and correct. There's nothing contradictory about it.
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

mattal wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:33 pm
jeandspo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:33 pm
mattal wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:32 pm

your post 🔔end. When’s your test
is that the best you’ve got? 🤦 my post never mentions going over 6 hrs without a break.
0-6 hrs no break required means no break required because you haven’t exceeded 6 hrs 🤦 calling people a nonce you would think you could at least spell it 🙄
why check my spelling is it a test. 💩head. That all the best you bring. I’m so upset now Jeandspo. You 3 are useless to your family grow some balls. Baby bummer
It would help if you could read what's actually written... I'm assuming you never made it past Dick and Dora at school as far as comprehension went.
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

Gylbend wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:50 pm
dautie02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:49 pm
Gylbend wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:42 pm

Its no need to have a look....you can't work more the 6 hours without a 15 minute break...6 to 9 hours 30 minute break and more then 9 hours 45 break....the break is 15 minute and can be take 15+ 15+15 min....availability doesn't count as working time ....you are welcome again
If my shift is 14hrs long, and my total other work/driving time is bang on 6hrs in total how much break would I need to have taken then?
You don’t have to take all 15/30/45 minute breaks in shift for WTD purposes. 20 and 25 is perfectly acceptable if timed correctly.
if you work 14 hours and the driving time and working time not pass the 6hours [5,59 h] and the time until 14 h is poa you are ok ....but you are wrong how you put it 0-6 no break ...is confusing and wrong ....no hate
0-6hrs = no break, If you do 0 to 6hrs work, no break is required. I'm really struggling to see what is confusing about that?
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

Mona-Bolt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:08 pm
dautie02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:07 pm
Mona-Bolt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:06 pm

I tend to stick to the cpc for information rather than you
Try GV262 then.
Have a read from the official source, and then show me where I am wrong, as what I’ve said is 100% spot on.
I’m waiting for proof I’m wrong 😉
you won't be getting proof from me .I have a life outside work and that does not involve worrying about people that have not got a clue on driving rules .as I said you drive with your rules and ill drive with mine and as I said in original post I definitely won't be taking advice of Facebook ill stick with cpc
It's not even driving rules, it's WTD... you're too stupid to even know the difference. It applies even if the truck remains stationary. So if your CPC instructor told you something that wasn't complaint with the law you'd stick with what he told you rather than what's written in the regs... You're shining bright
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OAP Trucker

Post by OAP Trucker »

Mona-Bolt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:11 pm
dautie02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:10 pm
Mona-Bolt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:10 pm

Sorry did that go on for long I only could read the first sentence as its a weekend and I'm off bla bla bla
Ok. Short but sweet this time.
Prove me to be wrong bus driver.
bus driver, lorry driver ,car driver ,and motorbike rider ,and tractor driver ,and also have a couple of horses for driving .dont believe me stay checking me 🤣🤣In fairness I don't have a license for driving horses but I do have the rest 🤣🤣
Tractor driver licence... dear god, every one who passes a car test is entitled to drive one... 12 to 16 year olds are driving them on farms regularly. You're a bit a clown aren't you.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”