Anyone encountered this? New TM only looks after 7 vehicles over all 4 companies..

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
paerne

Anyone encountered this? New TM only looks after 7 vehicles over all 4 companies..

Post by paerne »

Anyone encountered this? New TM only looks after 7 vehicles over all 4 companies.. 🤔
Attachments
PHOTO.jpg
PHOTO.jpg (191.94 KiB) Viewed 128 times
paerne

Re: Anyone encountered this? New TM only looks after 7 vehicles over all 4 companies..

Post by paerne »

Admin5 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:16 pm viewtopic.php?t=11216
is this exactly how they want it?
Admin5

Re: Anyone encountered this? New TM only looks after 7 vehicles over all 4 companies..

Post by Admin5 »

paerne wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:16 pm
It's a template and you can use it as is or change it to suit your needs. If you read that page, I explain in detail how to write your own answers and where to get the questions from.
paerne

Post by paerne »

Admin5 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 pm
It's a template and you can use it as is or change it to suit your needs. If you read that page, I explain in detail how to write your own answers and where to get the questions from.
yeah I see how it details the timings and how it works. Usual overkill has to be applied I see.
Admin5

Post by Admin5 »

paerne wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 pm

yeah I see how it details the timings and how it works. Usual overkill has to be applied I see.
Talking about overkill, read about Thomson, the fired ex-caseworker that overkilled himself with his insane demands for these letters:
viewtopic.php?t=21331
jamexxli

Post by jamexxli »

paerne wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 pm

I would advise against using online templates people have had applications rejected for doing so.
Martynet

Post by Martynet »

Get you nominated TM to do as asked and all will be fine.
Most of us have had to do it, at one time or another.
I now include such a letter with any initial application and never been asked for anything else, once submitted.
paerne

Post by paerne »

Martynet wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 pm Get you nominated TM to do as asked and all will be fine.
I now include such a letter with any initial application and never been asked for anything else, once submitted.
ah yeah.. however.. I get sick of dealing with the pedantry of it all.. it’s one guy dealing with 7 vehicles across four licences.. it would be nice to have someone at one time apply some common sense to the matters in hand.
Admin5

Post by Admin5 »

paerne wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 pm
Martynet wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 pm Get you nominated TM to do as asked and all will be fine.
ah yeah.. however.. I get sick of dealing with the pedantry of it all.. it’s one guy dealing with 7 vehicles across four licences.. it would be nice to have someone at one time apply some common sense to the matters in hand.
Their thinking is that if they force you to write all kinds of crap you will be a better TM.
paerne

Post by paerne »

Admin5 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:21 pm
paerne wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 pm
Their thinking is that if they force you to write all kinds of crap you will be a better TM.
They would be incorrect.
krislou

Post by krislou »

yup, pretty standard when you hit 4. just needs a covering letter detailing duties and times for each operator, any assistance they have in place and must include travelling time and mileage to and from each operator
martinte04

Post by martinte04 »

If they are on 4 licences then they will question travelling etc say if one was western and another was Scottish
paerne

Post by paerne »

martinte04 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 pm If they are on 4 licences then they will question travelling etc say if one was western and another was Scottish
they know all that already as they know exactly what area and addresses all his licenses come under.
martinte04

Post by martinte04 »

paerne wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 pm
martinte04 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 pm If they are on 4 licences then they will question travelling etc say if one was western and another was Scottish
they know all that already as they know exactly what area and addresses all his licenses come under.
that will be the issue with how long your tm can spend including travelling time etc,
paerne

Post by paerne »

martinte04 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 pm
that will be the issue with how long your tm can spend including travelling time etc,
yeah but all licences are in the same area and all within an hour from his house. Infact he could travel between all 4 in under a hour. They would also know that too.
rouxell

Post by rouxell »

paerne wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 pm

yeah but all licences are in the same area and all within an hour from his house. Infact he could travel between all 4 in under a hour. They would also know that too.
this is the thing, we are providing information they already have.
They really could do with streamlining things, but it is a government department after all.
paerne

Post by paerne »

rouxell wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:24 pm

They really could do with streamlining things, but it is a government department after all.
I’ve been an operator for 8 years, everything in this industry serves only to cripple it. Unless your Culina Maritime or Turners they do not want you to operate.
jamexxli

Post by jamexxli »

paerne wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:24 pm

I’ve been an operator for 8 years, everything in this industry serves only to cripple it. Unless your Culina Maritime or Turners they do not want you to operate.
I know a good supplier of tin foil hats
paerne

Post by paerne »

jamexxli wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 pm

yeah? Ask if they sell intelligence too.
jamexxli

Post by jamexxli »

paerne wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 pm

no they have sold out.
It’s standard practice for a tm to have to account for their time it’s nothing against small companies
paerne

Post by paerne »

jamexxli wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:26 pm

no they have sold out.
It’s standard practice for a tm to have to account for their time it’s nothing against small companies
Tip of the iceberg. 👌
Admin5

Post by Admin5 »

jamexxli wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:26 pm

no they have sold out.
Paerne, is right. They already have all that info they want him to write, including the other operating centres and the way a TM has to do his job is written in their own regulations (Document 3, Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness, etc.) so what more do they need to know? As a TM you can just reply to them: I will do my TM job according to your own regulations for TMs, i.e. if you want to know how I will do X, look it up in your own regulations and that's how I'll do it. In order to completely answer their question (without using a template, as you commented elsewhere under this post), you'd need to re-write all of their regulations in your own words. How crazy is that? And if that's too crazy (you might say), do they want you to re-write some random parts (but not all) of their regulations in this letter? Then what parts do they want you to re-write in your own words? Do you have to guess that? This whole letter is absolutely beyond stupid.
BillStill

Post by BillStill »

Yes, the TM will get a letter asking for details of how they service their clients including travelling etc.
stanexler

Post by stanexler »

Just follow the letter,
TM needs to send a brief letter to explain his work schedule…basically to state when he will be on site!
Be careful not to contradict with the other licenses days and times as it could become muddy!
Good luck!
jaxon

Post by jaxon »

Demonstrable evidence. The role of the TM is a critical part of the operator licence. The TM had to prove he can cover the work load. Does the case worker know the TM has a driving licence? You can drive between all 4 but can you ride push bike, or take public transport? Assume (makes ass u me)The TM is committing to the OTC how he will perform effect and continuous control.
Casealtrai

Post by Casealtrai »

I received this request as well, so probably is standard when TM has 4 licences.
rouxell

Post by rouxell »

It’s standard, every time I take on a 4th I get one. In the end you keep a nice template and update it accordingly.
adamyg

Post by adamyg »

Had this before, had to go on 4th Licence for work, one in South West, one in North West, one in West Midlands were the three I was already on and the 4th was also West Midlands but a different group company. Its the TC office just wanting a breakdown of your time spent on each licence which will obviously vary depending on number of vehicles. Nothing to worry about, just get the TM to provide relevant info in response.
BrianBlack

Post by BrianBlack »

If you get stuck, try JCS Transport Consultancy Jamie Campbell will look after you.
Are you Tony son?
paerne

Post by paerne »

BrianBlack wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 pm If you get stuck, try JCS Transport Consultancy Jamie Campbell will look after you.
Are you Tony son?
think I have sorted it. I am indeed.
BrianBlack

Post by BrianBlack »

paerne wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 pm
BrianBlack wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 pm If you get stuck, try JCS Transport Consultancy Jamie Campbell will look after you.
Are you Tony son?
think I have sorted it. I am indeed.
used to work with him at DBC.
Tell him I said hello, he’s a top fella.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”