Would I be right in saying it isn't type approval and would need a crash bar/rear under run.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
roscio

Would I be right in saying it isn't type approval and would need a crash bar/rear under run.

Post by roscio »

I have a client who insists this vehicle doesn't need a crash bar/rear under run as "he" classes it as a tipper. The vehicle is a 26T 6×2 and has been modified from a drop side to a tipper in his own work shop. Would I be right in saying it isn't type approval and would need a crash bar/rear under run. (Apart from the fact it looks like a death trap)
Attachments
truck.jpg
truck.jpg (66.31 KiB) Viewed 411 times
dewida

Re: Would I be right in saying it isn't type approval and would need a crash bar/rear under run.

Post by dewida »

I would say it 100% needs a rear bar
Amritel

Re: Would I be right in saying it isn't type approval and would need a crash bar/rear under run.

Post by Amritel »

Look in the DVSA HGV inspection manual, defect & enforcement manuals.
I dont think Type approval is relevant in this.
Also different if going into London etc.
zacgenv

Post by zacgenv »

It’s all in the Manuel , black n white
dewida

Post by dewida »

Maybe run it in to a test station…. I’m sure they’ll advise accordingly
Martless

Post by Martless »

Send it for a MOT
marigo

Post by marigo »

Even tippers have bumpers.
Some have hinge to lift them up.
It had to been Moted somehow what may be interesting.
Neligit

Post by Neligit »

marigo wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:40 am Even tippers have bumpers.
the 8x4 tipper I drive, just has had a mot, and it doesn't have a rear bumper, a lot of them don't have, I was surprised to found out myself too.
Jelaxxs

Post by Jelaxxs »

Neligit wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:42 am
the 8x4 tipper I drive, just has had a mot, and it doesn't have a rear bumper, a lot of them don't have, I was surprised to found out myself too.
can you post a picture, I bet it doesn't just finish with the 2 chassis rails sticking a metre out the back at car bonnet height.
Neligit

Post by Neligit »

Jelaxxs wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:42 am
can you post a picture, I bet it doesn't just finish with the 2 chassis rails sticking a metre out the back at car bonnet height.
if you ask me is a death trap, I Don't have the unit with me
Jelaxxs

Post by Jelaxxs »

Neligit wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:43 am

sorry, I was after a picture of your 8x4
Neligit

Post by Neligit »

Jelaxxs wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:43 am

will post tomorrow, I saw your comment after finish work
as you see the end chassis are there, and the stop bar is winscreen high, death trap
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (12.07 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Jelaxxs

Post by Jelaxxs »

Neligit wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:44 am

as you see the end chassis are there, and the stop bar is winscreen high, death trap
and a rear axle and 4 thumping great big rubber tyres.
Neligit

Post by Neligit »

Jelaxxs wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:45 am

if a smart, Toyota aygo, of any of this small car hit it, people doesn't stand a chance
marigo

Post by marigo »

Neligit wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:45 am

if a smart, Toyota aygo, of any of this small car hit it, people doesn't stand a chance
rear axlewill be good meter a way from back of vehicle.
and tyres are good half meter.
Many vehicles will dive under easy getting windscreen smashed to chassis before them even start taking impact force /folding on them axles and tyres.
Jelaxxs

Post by Jelaxxs »

marigo wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:46 am
Neligit wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:45 am

rear axlewill be good meter a way from back of vehicle.
and tyres are good half meter.
Many vehicles will dive under easy getting windscreen smashed to chassis before them even start taking impact force /folding on them axles and tyres.
But the chassis rails on the first example will slice through the car like a knife in butter. The exposed rails is the real issue. Sure, hitting a regular tipper ain't going to be pretty but at least you ain't going under it.
gerralone

Post by gerralone »

Is ask the dvsa to be sure. To my knowledge a tipper is just a definition in the manual, as a vehicle that discharges to the rear. It doesn’t say who made it do that. But in todays world I’d check incase the rules have changed, then your covered
dewida

Post by dewida »

A typical 32t tipper. (2014 plate).
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (12.21 KiB) Viewed 380 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (12.78 KiB) Viewed 380 times

Return to “Maintenance companies and mechanics | General discussions”