How often have you got to do the wheel retorque procedure? Do you have to go to a service for that and would they

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Brewinn

How often have you got to do the wheel retorque procedure? Do you have to go to a service for that and would they

Post by Brewinn »

How often have you got to do the wheel retorque procedure? Do you have to go to a service for that and would they give you evidence or would you have to do it yourself?
Robinex

Re: How often have you got to do the wheel retorque procedure? Do you have to go to a service for that and would they

Post by Robinex »

Every time the wheels come off / on and after a set mileage eg 50 miles is what I used to do
I had a sheet that had date time which wheel came off.. if it was a new tyre fitted.. who fitted it, and what mileage (if applicable) I then had a retorque reminder slip in cab and the driver (usually me) would check torque after 50 miles. Or so.. record mileage on sheet, and file the slip for reference
BunkPlus

Re: How often have you got to do the wheel retorque procedure? Do you have to go to a service for that and would they

Post by BunkPlus »

Robinex wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:52 pm Every time the wheels come off / on and after a set mileage eg 50 miles is what I used to do
I had a sheet that had date time which wheel came off.. if it was a new tyre fitted.. who fitted it, and what mileage (if applicable) I then had a retorque reminder slip in cab and the driver (usually me) would check torque after 50 miles. Or so.. record mileage on sheet, and file the slip for reference
I get wheel torque checked at each inspection as part of the PMI
Barneex85

Post by Barneex85 »

Or wait 30 mins then re tighten/torque. Won’t need doing again after that.
Seanaro

Post by Seanaro »

Barneex85 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:53 pm Or wait 30 mins then re tighten/torque. Won’t need doing again after that.
wouldn’t count on that. We’ve 2 Volvos that I know of that are breaking studs for fun. One’s been broken n to various dealers this week for a retorque and each time they’ve had movement on all 20 studs on the drive axle.
Terryish

Post by Terryish »

Only once! That's why is re torque. 😉
Firunetic

Post by Firunetic »

Or any time you suspect a wheel issue, you should have wheel tags that are placed on the vehicle by the maintenance op if they remove a wheel to prompt the driver to follow the re torque procedure or to take caution.
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

Seanaro wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:54 pm
Barneex85 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:53 pm Or wait 30 mins then re tighten/torque. Won’t need doing again after that.
wouldn’t count on that. We’ve 2 Volvos that I know of that are breaking studs for fun. One’s been broken n to various dealers this week for a retorque and each time they’ve had movement on all 20 studs on the drive axle.
Maybe time to look at replacing the full set, we have a fleet that mandates that as part of their Y6 as they found it becomes a problem at that point, they do wear and become prone to undoing despite all the duga duga

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”