Is it ok to drive on OUT to and from our dealer's workshop 10mi away when the truck needs repairs?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Le12apr21

Is it ok to drive on OUT to and from our dealer's workshop 10mi away when the truck needs repairs?

Post by Le12apr21 »

If you need a Transport Manager (CPC Holder) or assistance with an Operator's Licence anywhere in the UK, contact Dmitry Nade at TransportForum.com 7 days a week on 07833 684449 (phone and WhatsApp) or email: [email protected]
Le12apr21

Re: Is it ok to drive on OUT to and from our dealer's workshop 10mi away when the truck needs repairs?

Post by Le12apr21 »

Would the truck pass an annual test? If so yes, if not no

Surely it depends what it needs repairing? If the doors hanging off and will kill a pedestrian, it's probably not worth it, if it's something that doesn't affect public safety you may be ok!

No there is no tachograph exemption for traveling to and from a place of repair. But there is one for test driving a vehicle before or after a repair.

It needs to be roadworthy to go on a road.

In this particular case it's a brakes/trailer abs fault. Yellow on dashboard

No

Out of scope is for off public highway use only

I imagine it's weather related or sensor related, but have nothing to base that on. Do some checks and tests round the yard swap units and trailers to pin point the problem, taking it to be repaired means it'll be off the road all day anyway. Always worth having a mobile mechanic in your back

pocket.https://ec.europa.eu/.../social.../doc/ ... tion-2.pdf

The term reasonable come in to play. Obviously if you only have three wheels on the truck it doesn't count but if the seatbelt is torn it could be reasonable.

No

Not sure how the thing will be repaired if it doesn’t get there - but if you are asking if it can be driven “off grid “ so to speak - then no!
Sorry for being cheeky - Tuesdays are like that now !!

yes, but keep the invoice whit you

It sounds like a ABS lead or incompatible match, but as long as the truck has been booked in and conformation acknowledged, also the defect is with the driver, and digital card in for mileage accountability then yes, it's all about reasonable doubt?

Contrary to popular belief an ABS fault light DOES NOT mean a complete brake failure. It simply means one of the many components in the ABS system has a fault If you were fully loaded in the wet and made an emergency brake application then it MAY cause a skid as a wheel MAY lock up
You don’t state if it’s rigid or artic. If an artic and a recent tractor unit and an old trailer sometimes the abs light won’t go off until you hit 10-15 mph That’s normal
DVSA do acknowledge faults occur and need fixing and often when a PG9 is issued its delayed allowing travel by road to a place of repair / depot with certain speed restrictions attached
The problem is many TM’s haven’t a clue about mechanical issues and therefore are unable to make a correct decision erring on the side of caution by grounding a vehicle

many TM's have a clue about anything to do with transport

Right, so the basic gist is NO, I'll put the card in then. Better safe than sorry
Thanks everyone for the answers

I think if you have a mechanic that Road test it it is OK. Correct me if I am wrong.

Only exemption, that allows driving without a card, is a mechanic road testing a vehicle for the purpose of diagnosing a reported fault, or road testing after rectifying a fault, in order to confirm that the fault is fixed.Only exemption, that allows driving without a card, is a mechanic road testing a vehicle for the purpose of diagnosing a reported fault, or road testing after rectifying a fault, in order to confirm that the fault is fixed.

No - use your card for everything or missing mileage goes up. Use your card & no missing mileage.

No , you would have missing mileage

Why do you think that is 'out of scope'? Not sure where the ABS comments came from?? If going backwards and forwards for maintenance your card should be in as normal.

Your workshop can drive without tachometer, as long as their transport company haven’t pinched them for deliveries, you need to record every meter covered on cars.

*card

I read this question as one about tacho rules so why is everyone going on about roadworthyness ?
Have I missed something
The answer to the Out of scope question is no it’s supposed to have a card in to record the work being done by the person driving the vehicle, as they aren’t doing it in their own time are they?
In reality your never going to get caught / pulled up over a few km’s here and there

strongly agreed
If you need a Transport Manager (CPC Holder) or assistance with an Operator's Licence anywhere in the UK, contact Dmitry Nade at TransportForum.com 7 days a week on 07833 684449 (phone and WhatsApp) or email: [email protected]

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”