I have a vehicle that failed on MOT today (loose bolt on air bag) MAJOR defect. Any idea what points

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Barductio

I have a vehicle that failed on MOT today (loose bolt on air bag) MAJOR defect. Any idea what points

Post by Barductio »

I have a vehicle that failed on MOT today (loose bolt on air bag) MAJOR defect.
Any idea what points the company will get on OCRS?
pereys

Re: I have a vehicle that failed on MOT today (loose bolt on air bag) MAJOR defect. Any idea what points

Post by pereys »

Conversation with maintenance contractor required, probably in writing.
Deanex

Re: I have a vehicle that failed on MOT today (loose bolt on air bag) MAJOR defect. Any idea what points

Post by Deanex »

Maintenance provider should of picked up on this they will be getting a visit from DVSA
Recylam

Post by Recylam »

Major defect will constitute a fail. You’ll easily push into Amber or Red for that. Should’ve been picked up on pre mot
Barductio

Post by Barductio »

Recylam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:22 pm Major defect will constitute a fail. You’ll easily push into Amber or Red for that. Should’ve been picked up on pre mot
Yes, day before.
Recylam

Post by Recylam »

Barductio wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:23 pm
Recylam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:22 pm Major defect will constitute a fail. You’ll easily push into Amber or Red for that. Should’ve been picked up on pre mot
Yes, day before.
then why wasn’t it rectified before the test??
passio

Post by passio »

I think it will be 25 points for a fail. 50 points for Tyres, brakes and steering, 25 point for everything else.
daimezu

Post by daimezu »

passio wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:24 pm I think it will be 25 points for a fail. 50 points for Tyres, brakes and steering, 25 point for everything else.
tyres are 200 on roadside, Are they less at a MOT? I wouldn’t of thought so.
passio

Post by passio »

daimezu wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:24 pm
passio wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:24 pm I think it will be 25 points for a fail. 50 points for Tyres, brakes and steering, 25 point for everything else.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/use-the-ope ... crs-system
daimezu

Post by daimezu »

passio wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:25 pm
cheers. Still doesn’t make sense, why a tyre defect (or any defect) is scored less at a MOT, but why am I not surprised with DVSA systems.
passio

Post by passio »

daimezu wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:26 pm
passio wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:25 pm

cheers. Still doesn’t make sense, why a tyre defect (or any defect) is scored less at a MOT, but why am I not surprised with DVSA systems.
I agree, I failed on a handbrake a couple of years back and got 50 points.
Barductio

Post by Barductio »

25 for aim of headlamps (per each). 50 for brake performance.
I am not sure where (*48 Suspension) should be.
garyro

Post by garyro »

Ask Scott telford Aberdeen he's had mare hits than the select fav band
wallenio

Post by wallenio »

Expect a visit and PI, my advise look in to what happened, how it happened and then work out what you could have done differently and what you have put in to place so it won’t happen again. The TC will want to see you won’t accept this happening again, I would suggest a visit and audit of your inspection team, emails going back and forward need recording, write a policy, and make sure you have steps in place, not only is it bad that it was picked up on a MOT but if it wasn’t for the MOT this vehicle would have been out on the road, IMHO that will be the TCs starting position. Good luck, but act now.
Barductio

Post by Barductio »

wallenio wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:28 pm Expect a visit and PI, my advise look in to what happened, how it happened and then work out what you could have done differently and what you have put in to place so it won’t happen again. The TC will want to see you won’t accept this happening again, I would suggest a visit and audit of your inspection team, emails going back and forward need recording, write a policy, and make sure you have steps in place, not only is it bad that it was picked up on a MOT but if it wasn’t for the MOT this vehicle would have been out on the road, IMHO that will be the TCs starting position. Good luck, but act now.
all visit and audit are done 3months ago. 0 points on documentation and policies, points on vehicle inspection (the way that has been written) result minor.
Positive events and from Amber to Green. That I am wondering how many I will get for that.
wallenio

Post by wallenio »

Barductio wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:29 pm
wallenio wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:28 pm Expect a visit and PI, my advise look in to what happened, how it happened and then work out what you could have done differently and what you have put in to place so it won’t happen again. The TC will want to see you won’t accept this happening again, I would suggest a visit and audit of your inspection team, emails going back and forward need recording, write a policy, and make sure you have steps in place, not only is it bad that it was picked up on a MOT but if it wasn’t for the MOT this vehicle would have been out on the road, IMHO that will be the TCs starting position. Good luck, but act now.
all visit and audit are done 3months ago. 0 points on documentation and policies, points on vehicle inspection (the way that has been written) result minor.
Positive events and from Amber to Green. That I am wondering how many I will get for that.
what was the last visit triggered by? I know a number of operators who have recently failed MOTs two were a freak chamber going on the rest lane both ended with a PI even though both were green before the event both needed in curtailments, an independent audit, being part even though both had done one in the previous year as good practice. And without remembering the points given both ended up as Red.
Barductio

Post by Barductio »

wallenio wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:29 pm
Barductio wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:29 pm
what was the last visit triggered by? I know a number of operators who have recently failed MOTs two were a freak chamber going on the rest lane both ended with a PI even though both were green before the event both needed in curtailments, an independent audit, being part even though both had done one in the previous year as good practice. And without remembering the points given both ended up as Red.
I think the visit is result of the red,not MOT.
To be honest I am not sure how the points are calculated when the company has several positive events. If I am going to red they will pay me attention.
cranect

Post by cranect »

You only get a visit from vosa If there's more than one major defect.
Barductio

Post by Barductio »

I have been advised to start investigation with maintenance provider to protect myself and show that action has been taken.
Bloomni

Post by Bloomni »

I doubt it will trigger a visit unless there are other factors. I’d have a long chat with your maintenance provider, they haven’t prepped it properly. Investigate what went wrong, document everything, implement any learnings, then if you do attract attention they can see you’ve acted appropriately. No need to panic.
Barductio

Post by Barductio »

Bloomni wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:32 pm I doubt it will trigger a visit unless there are other factors. I’d have a long chat with your maintenance provider, they haven’t prepped it properly. Investigate what went wrong, document everything, implement any learnings, then if you do attract attention they can see you’ve acted appropriately. No need to panic.
thank you

Return to “Maintenance companies and mechanics | General discussions”