Anybody had issues being told they cant drive other peoples cars because job is listed as road hauliage or road

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
BlackXp16

Anybody had issues being told they cant drive other peoples cars because job is listed as road hauliage or road

Post by BlackXp16 »

Anybody had issues being told they cant drive other peoples cars because job is listed as road hauliage or road transport? have i made a mistake do we not come under road transport?
bragazi

Re: Anybody had issues being told they cant drive other peoples cars because job is listed as road hauliage or road

Post by bragazi »

There seems to be a strange law like that. I know my brother (who is a Taxi driver) cannot drive anyone's car as 3rd party. He has to insure himself on a car or something a long those lines. He did explain it but I really can't remember as it was a few years ago. I didn't think it would apply to us truckers though so 🙈
BlackXp16

Re: Anybody had issues being told they cant drive other peoples cars because job is listed as road hauliage or road

Post by BlackXp16 »

bragazi wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:17 pm There seems to be a strange law like that. I know my brother (who is a Taxi driver) cannot drive anyone's car as 3rd party. He has to insure himself on a car or something a long those lines. He did explain it but I really can't remember as it was a few years ago. I didn't think it would apply to us truckers though so 🙈
I've had to specifically ask and make sure that my insurance covers it for my car and my bike, i don't understand it, they tried to explain it had something to do with transport industry being to do with the buying and selling of vehicles, ie a garage or car sales place, i tried to argue this out with them and point out im transporting food not cars, but then the fallback is just that the phone monkey cant find out anymore. with my car ive had my insurer confirm it even though the policy clearly states its not allowed, they've noted my acc apparently but trying to get them to email me confirmation is like pulling hens teeth. on my bike renewal i noticed a lot of the quotes didn't allow it. used to be you were rewarded for being a professional driver
bragazi

Post by bragazi »

BlackXp16 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:18 pm
bragazi wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:17 pm There seems to be a strange law like that. I know my brother (who is a Taxi driver) cannot drive anyone's car as 3rd party. He has to insure himself on a car or something a long those lines. He did explain it but I really can't remember as it was a few years ago. I didn't think it would apply to us truckers though so 🙈
I've had to specifically ask and make sure that my insurance covers it for my car and my bike, i don't understand it, they tried to explain it had something to do with transport industry being to do with the buying and selling of vehicles, ie a garage or car sales place, i tried to argue this out with them and point out im transporting food not cars, but then the fallback is just that the phone monkey cant find out anymore. with my car ive had my insurer confirm it even though the policy clearly states its not allowed, they've noted my acc apparently but trying to get them to email me confirmation is like pulling hens teeth. on my bike renewal i noticed a lot of the quotes didn't allow it. used to be you were rewarded for being a professional driver
You'd think it would be the opposite right? You're driving day-in day-out so you'd get more experience hence why your insurance should be cheaper and you shouldn't be having these negative conditions? I really can't figure them out tbh, such a weird condition to have
Austiner

Post by Austiner »

Depends on Insurer and their cherry picking underwriters. I had more problems with lack of that on policies or higher quotes when I was in the parcel industry, even though I had use of a company 7.5t parcel van kept at depot, so never a need to use own car & therefore be a really higher risk, that they were pricing for. Now with CE licence I took out recent policy as a Hgv Driver Road Haulage. Strangely enough the 1 broker apparently doing good deals for Lgv/Hgv drivers (corn market) were quoting more for policy than Swift Cover via Go Compare. just a case of shopping around.
KellyLink

Post by KellyLink »

While I done dom care, my insurance was always high, I don't think its a case of experience but maybe the reputation that comes with it. Insurers tar us all with the same brush
daavenJr

Post by daavenJr »

I had exact same problem, called to ask if I could drive other cars they said yes but not if it’s your partners car 🤷‍♂️ when she took out her new policy she just put me on as a named driver and me her they said it was because all these new delivery drivers just eat and Deliveroo just switch vehicles or something along those lines but yea deffo check before driving anyone else’s motor
Katiera

Post by Katiera »

Check job title try changing it to lgv driver class1 driver etc. that’s how I kept it
Stawicus

Post by Stawicus »

I didn’t know that. Ta for the heads up. I’ll be checking my insurance
Bexifex212

Post by Bexifex212 »

Many insurance companies don’t do the drive other cars on a third party basis as long as the other car is insured these days. Loads getting caught out including myself who had two policies that neither did . only found out after being stopped Luckily for me the police took no further action but the owner of the car had to pick up
Lukasz_23

Post by Lukasz_23 »

Most insurance underwriters see drivers as a higher risk, their reasoning behind it is that because you drive so often you may pick up bad habits or become less attentive with you being so used to being on the road all the time, I used to work for the aa selling car insurance and I would see it every day. Drivers get the shit end of the stick whether it's a wagon driver or taxi driver if you drive for a living your insurance is higher, some of them even say because you drive wagons so much you might not be as used to driving a car and may be more likely to make a mistake

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”