What should we be charging per mile to make the job pay ? With the running cost going up and up can we still make

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
GabCraby

What should we be charging per mile to make the job pay ? With the running cost going up and up can we still make

Post by GabCraby »

What should we be charging per mile to make the job pay?
With the running cost going up and up can we still make a living driving?
Finding it difficult out there and only a one man company so what am I doing wrong
Running a Mercedes sprinter flatbed working 5 days a week.
MichaelMj

Re: What should we be charging per mile to make the job pay ? With the running cost going up and up can we still make

Post by MichaelMj »

It’s getting ridiculous how low some people are charging. My going rate is 75p to £1 depending on location time and customer. Repeat customers with me get the better rate. But If going to a location that return journeys are harder I sometimes charge more. I’m also finding more and more people doing cheaper rates but are co loading without telling. I was doing a delivery and collection Monday and this Luton van rocked on on what should of been a dedicated load 4 hours late due to a breakdown and it was loaded top to bottom side to side!
MaPrecise

Re: What should we be charging per mile to make the job pay ? With the running cost going up and up can we still make

Post by MaPrecise »

MichaelMj wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:31 pm It’s getting ridiculous how low some people are charging. My going rate is 75p to £1 depending on location time and customer. Repeat customers with me get the better rate. But If going to a location that return journeys are harder I sometimes charge more. I’m also finding more and more people doing cheaper rates but are co loading without telling. I was doing a delivery and collection Monday and this Luton van rocked on on what should of been a dedicated load 4 hours late due to a breakdown and it was loaded top to bottom side to side!
so you, with luton van, go with 0.75.....1 pounds per mile..interesting!
MichaelMj

Post by MichaelMj »

MaPrecise wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:34 pm
MichaelMj wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:31 pm It’s getting ridiculous how low some people are charging. My going rate is 75p to £1 depending on location time and customer. Repeat customers with me get the better rate. But If going to a location that return journeys are harder I sometimes charge more. I’m also finding more and more people doing cheaper rates but are co loading without telling. I was doing a delivery and collection Monday and this Luton van rocked on on what should of been a dedicated load 4 hours late due to a breakdown and it was loaded top to bottom side to side!
no my small van 75p to £1 but I was explaining what I witnessed whilst on a job. A Luton van rocked up fully co loaded on a job that was meant to be dedicated
ReAsp10

Post by ReAsp10 »

I carnt run mine on that no chance
cliniha65

Post by cliniha65 »

where did you see he said Luton, ffs if you can’t get this simple thing right..
cliniha65

Post by cliniha65 »

ReAsp10 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:35 pm
I carnt run mine on that no chance
you can’t run a small van on £1 a mile ffs another idiot
cliniha65

Post by cliniha65 »

MichaelMj wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:35 pm
no my small van 75p to £1 but I was explaining what I witnessed whilst on a job. A Luton van rocked up fully co loaded on a job that was meant to be dedicated
M8 if you can’t run a small van this time of the year at £1 you in the wrong business
Jodagolf

Post by Jodagolf »

this is so true yet posters never question why so cheap in the first place 🙄🤷
MichaelMj

Post by MichaelMj »

Jodagolf wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:37 pm
another that that gets me is back load rates over 300 miles to cover and want to it arrive in 6 hours 🫣🫣🫣
Jodagolf

Post by Jodagolf »

MichaelMj wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:38 pm
another that that gets me is back load rates over 300 miles to cover and want to it arrive in 6 hours 🫣🫣🫣
oh totally mate backload rates are ok if they allow plenty of time but other than that I just price them as normal take or leave it mate I’d rather run empty for a good job than line there pockets mate 🤷
MichaelMj

Post by MichaelMj »

Jodagolf wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:38 pm

oh totally mate backload rates are ok if they allow plenty of time but other than that I just price them as normal take or leave it mate I’d rather run empty for a good job than line there pockets mate 🤷
give me a few days no problem but want 300 miles in 6 hours nowt back load happening price wise
Jodagolf

Post by Jodagolf »

MichaelMj wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:39 pm

give me a few days no problem but want 300 miles in 6 hours nowt back load happening price wise
just stick to your guns and build relationships with good companies mate 😉👍
MichaelMj

Post by MichaelMj »

Jodagolf wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:39 pm
MichaelMj wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:39 pm

just stick to your guns and build relationships with good companies mate 😉👍
best advice! I’ve made some fantastic contacts just through talking. I do a lot of the same routes now as it frees up with drivers with a local company so I know 2 days a week I have work and it’s always return work to
driirou21

Post by driirou21 »

January is always bad but this year has been worse than most. Personally I think it will be at least March before work picks up.
If your going to try to hang on look on the bright side, if you make it through these quiet times a lot of your competitors will have either gone bust or drifted away to do something else.
satmitt52

Post by satmitt52 »

driirou21 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:40 pm January is always bad but this year has been worse than most. Personally I think it will be at least March before work picks up.
If your going to try to hang on look on the bright side, if you make it through these quiet times a lot of your competitors will have either gone bust or drifted away to do something else.
agreed I haven’t had anything since December it starts getting better end of February March
Gibbsys

Post by Gibbsys »

If you don't know what to charge you shouldn't be doing it for a living.
PatQuick

Post by PatQuick »

I run 2 flatbeds not normal size ones. But it’s hard but I stick to my prices even on cx. My prices are more then everyone is saying
angSann

Post by angSann »

PatQuick wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:44 pm I run 2 flatbeds not normal size ones. But it’s hard but I stick to my prices even on cx. My prices are more then everyone is saying
exactly the same. I’m considerably higher than what’s being quoted here, LWB crafter
PatQuick

Post by PatQuick »

angSann wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:45 pm
PatQuick wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:44 pm I run 2 flatbeds not normal size ones. But it’s hard but I stick to my prices even on cx. My prices are more then everyone is saying
exactly the same. I’m considerably higher than what’s being quoted here, LWB crafter
I’m lucky as only 1 % of my work comes off cx these days. Cx is s*it, I’m luck in post work but I pay £1 for a small van. But I see silly prices £2 for small vans £3.50 for Luton’s they want more than I’m getting
BraPlot

Post by BraPlot »

If your selling your flat bed.. give me a shout..
Jodagolf

Post by Jodagolf »

Don’t matter what you price there’s always someone cheaper by rights it should be down to feedback etc. but most only care about price 🤷
waisWes94

Post by waisWes94 »

I’m sorry but if you don’t know what you need to charge per mile to live off it’s time to wrap up. These are basic questions that should of been asked or thought about before even buying a van. Yes it’s very hard out there at the moment but never undersell yourself. I’d rather keep my vans parked up than run for ridiculous rates and don’t forget if you’re judging rates on cx then you’ll never earn money because that’s primarily a backload site
san1990

Post by san1990 »

waisWes94 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:48 pm I’m sorry but if you don’t know what you need to charge per mile to live off it’s time to wrap up. These are basic questions that should of been asked or thought about before even buying a van. Yes it’s very hard out there at the moment but never undersell yourself. I’d rather keep my vans parked up than run for ridiculous rates and don’t forget if you’re judging rates on cx then you’ll never earn money because that’s primarily a backload site
it was designed to be until got full of freight forwarders who don't own a single van, as mentioned above if give plenty of time to collect and deliver is backload, when delivery asap not backload anymore
waisWes94

Post by waisWes94 »

san1990 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:48 pm
waisWes94 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:48 pm I’m sorry but if you don’t know what you need to charge per mile to live off it’s time to wrap up. These are basic questions that should of been asked or thought about before even buying a van. Yes it’s very hard out there at the moment but never undersell yourself. I’d rather keep my vans parked up than run for ridiculous rates and don’t forget if you’re judging rates on cx then you’ll never earn money because that’s primarily a backload site
it was designed to be until got full of freight forwarders who don't own a single van, as mentioned above if give plenty of time to collect and deliver is backload, when delivery asap not backload anymore
if it stipulates asap or booked as a hotshot then yes I agree
san1990

Post by san1990 »

waisWes94 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:49 pm
well the majority of the jobs posted are hotshots, means then is not a backload site
MeGazer

Post by MeGazer »

san1990 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:49 pm
waisWes94 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:49 pm

well the majority of the jobs posted are hotshots, means then is not a backload site
the concept of CX was a trade platform so that transport /Couriers with excess work could cover the jobs with likewise transport / couriers, this filling those dead miles, it makes no difference if a load is posted as a backload or a hotshot, with or without time specifications, if I’ve dropped in London and a job pops up collect by abc time and deliver 5 hours later in Manchester ( taking me home ) I’d do it at a backload rate rather than go home empty.
People need to get it out of their heads that every hotshot needs to be done at full price … especially when competing against someone who has tipped a job for his/her own end user ( thus already made their money on that job, and the return job is just a bonus
PatQuick

Post by PatQuick »

same as me, everything costs. This is the second day this week I’ve been out in my fiesta van doing couple of jobs. Bet I’m still charging my than lwb on cx. People don’t understand customer are trying to cut costs a well . Just had pallet network bring pallet from Exeter to Suffolk £63.87. Over 3 day
daforr22

Post by daforr22 »

I have just done a job that paid £1.75 per mile... one way.. I won't work for anything less.. just not worth it.. Leave it to the cowboys to fight for nothing.. I will still be working with my customer offering a high quality service.
Pamyer

Post by Pamyer »

daforr22 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:52 pm I have just done a job that paid £1.75 per mile... one way.. I won't work for anything less.. just not worth it.. Leave it to the cowboys to fight for nothing.. I will still be working with my customer offering a high quality service.
that’s great it’s when people expect that on a trade site 🫤
daforr22

Post by daforr22 »

Pamyer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:52 pm
daforr22 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:52 pm I have just done a job that paid £1.75 per mile... one way.. I won't work for anything less.. just not worth it.. Leave it to the cowboys to fight for nothing.. I will still be working with my customer offering a high quality service.
Don't use trade sites, never have done. Coz there is always someone who will do it for nothing.. Have my own Customer base, and just work with them.. Never ever do back load stuff, no money in it and usually more trouble than its worth
driirou21

Post by driirou21 »

daforr22 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:53 pm
Don't use trade sites, never have done. Coz there is always someone who will do it for nothing.. Have my own Customer base, and just work with them.. Never ever do back load stuff, no money in it and usually more trouble than its worth
"no money in backloads".
Depends how carefully you pick em mate.
daforr22

Post by daforr22 »

driirou21 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:53 pm
daforr22 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:53 pm

"no money in backloads".
Depends how carefully you pick em mate.
Don't do them.. Too many mates been stung by shite loads, late payments and in a lot of cases no payment at all.. So I just don't take the risk.. I can afford to run back empty from any destination I go.. So much less hassle
vieiceb83

Post by vieiceb83 »

OP you are asking what 'we' should be charging per mile, it's an impossible question to answer, you must know your own costs for your van, your mortgage liability, your household bills, not everyone has the same so there is no hard and fast fixed mile rate, geography comes into play as well of course, its a pointless question to ask with all due respect 👍
DobMo

Post by DobMo »

vieiceb83 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:54 pm OP you are asking what 'we' should be charging per mile, it's an impossible question to answer, you must know your own costs for your van, your mortgage liability, your household bills, not everyone has the same so there is no hard and fast fixed mile rate, geography comes into play as well of course, its a pointless question to ask with all due respect 👍
how many times have you said that? Still they keep on coming........
BrvBrent

Post by BrvBrent »

£15 per hour £1.50 minimum
satmitt52

Post by satmitt52 »

£1 per mile don’t work anymore for 4.2 meter sprinter unfortunately people are doing it for a lot less that’s why people like us don’t get the work I will always quote £2 per mile I
Take what I can as some people do pay this don’t forget people have got money they make it look like they can’t afford it don’t go cheaply going cheap shows the strength of your service although you might just get half your work load in a month as you normally would get but I refuse to be a busy fool and leave the cheap price jobs to the cheap service they provide damaged lost goods and late delivery’s no guarantee to the customer bad feedback poor quality and poor reputation you get what you pay for.
andallyer

Post by andallyer »

I’m seeing a lot while posting that people with Luton’s are trying to charge 7.5t ton rates ……. I run a busy transport office …. It’s trying to get the balance between making the Jon worthwhile and not talking yourself out of a job ….. why price a ridiculous rate where you know you’re not going to get the job ?!?
* and the amount of people who try and pass off Luton’s as 7.5 t trucks too*
CraAim

Post by CraAim »

Don’t try to make a living. Try to make a profit is my advice. Easier said than done of course but if you don’t have profit you wont get that replacement vehicle in a couple of years or that tyre for that surprise puncture etc. if your running costs say you can turn a wheel at 90p per mile then charge 1.20 if you have your own customers go in at 1.50. Your figures are your own but be realistic and successful or you will just become another busy fool.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”