So I applied for a Class 2 job in my city for DHL a couple of weeks ago, only 9 minutes away from my house and was

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
ELLISSSEWO

So I applied for a Class 2 job in my city for DHL a couple of weeks ago, only 9 minutes away from my house and was

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

So I applied for a Class 2 job in my city for DHL a couple of weeks ago, only 9 minutes away from my house and was feeling quite positive about this one! On the job advert it clearly stated inexperienced drivers/new passes welcome. I received this email last night, so disheartening. How are you supposed to gain experience if nobody will give you a chance? 😔 might as well stay on the buses and give up hope. Pay is actually better here than a lot of jobs I’ve seen advertised too, crazy 🤯
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (203.58 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Last edited by ELLISSSEWO on Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darreut-Hear

Re: So I applied for a Class 2 job in my city for DHL a couple of weeks ago, only 9 minutes away from my house and was

Post by Darreut-Hear »

Try and get some agency work mate, don’t give up… Gotta be better than driving a loser cruiser 👍👍
ELLISSSEWO

Re: So I applied for a Class 2 job in my city for DHL a couple of weeks ago, only 9 minutes away from my house and was

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

Darreut-Hear wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:46 am Try and get some agency work mate, don’t give up… Gotta be better than driving a loser cruiser 👍👍
loser cruiser hahahahahaha brill 😂
Jimmi-King

Post by Jimmi-King »

Try and find out what agency runs out of that depot
steverun356

Post by steverun356 »

When I first passed I couldn't get a job for about 2yrs.. Best way is agency.. they treat you like crap but you get the experience
Templeed.BE

Post by Templeed.BE »

Keep your chin up and something will come along. As the other lads are saying, find an agency and basically do whatever they offer. Gain some valuable experience and then you find a jobs that perfect for you.
Tim.worizon

Post by Tim.worizon »

Don't get disheartened. Try smaller family run businesses. More likely to take you on. Might not be the best money but a whole world of experience
daiva1rego

Post by daiva1rego »

Don’t give me wrong all company 👀 expert but make me laugh when they call to agency and get new drivers and after couple driving they try to steel you from agency.
Don’t give up just keep try mate.
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

My reservations on agency work is that I’m lead to believe that you don’t always have work available to you, is that right? I can’t really afford to not have a solid stream of income. That’s my concern!
MxMintome

Post by MxMintome »

ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:59 am My reservations on agency work is that I’m lead to believe that you don’t always have work available to you, is that right? I can’t really afford to not have a solid stream of income. That’s my concern!
it is right, most of them are useless, some are okay, don’t gain something better without a risk, if it’s scary, go for it, can always go back to buses, they aren’t hard to get onto
panag2nect

Post by panag2nect »

Don't be disappointed by the that email
Just get the information they give to you!
They DON'T hire NON experience drivers, so you just need to build your experience.
HOW?
A very easy way is working with an agency
The most of us here gave you the same advice
Good luck!
chris1earl

Post by chris1earl »

See if you can get a job with DHL then progress onto the lorries. I worked warehouse then progressed into the lorries
lee2ianoff

Post by lee2ianoff »

Ellisssewo where about are you?
If you’ve a CO OP depot not far look at them, they always take drivers and put you through class 1 after a while or look at other supermarket depot, Sainsburys Tesco money is way better
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

lee2ianoff wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:05 am Ellisssewo where about are you?
If you’ve a CO OP depot not far look at them, they always take drivers and put you through class 1 after a while or look at other supermarket depot, Sainsburys Tesco money is way better
I’m in Stoke-on-Trent. Only moved here 8 months ago so I have no idea what’s around if I’m honest!
Morrinz370

Post by Morrinz370 »

ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:07 am
I’m in Stoke-on-Trent. Only moved here 8 months ago so I have no idea what’s around if I’m honest!
try Sainsburys depot at Stoke, they might keep You waiting for a while before they get back to You
Buzz_eemp

Post by Buzz_eemp »

you’ve got a Sainsburys RDC in stoke near the football ground, We all hate going there 😂 but could be worth giving them a try
lee2ianoff

Post by lee2ianoff »

they got nisa at stoke as well as Sainsburys and ADR Network agency have a office there I think
I’m in Derby remember you have a Tesco as well which is Litchfield but that’s a good hour
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

lee2ianoff wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:10 am
they got nisa at stoke as well as Sainsburys and ADR Network agency have a office there I think
I’m in Derby remember you have a Tesco as well which is Litchfield but that’s a good hour
that’s who I applied for DHL nisa. Would appear DHL actually have a lot of contracts round here 😅
lee2ianoff

Post by lee2ianoff »

ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:11 am

that’s who I applied for DHL nisa. Would appear DHL actually have a lot of contracts round here 😅
yes try Sainsburys but also ADR Network they will snap you up but they do mess around
iann+unde

Post by iann+unde »

ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:11 am

I worked DHL Nisa it was awful, better on the busses!
I started at Stan Robinson in Stafford and they’re really good to start off with. Happy with new drivers etc definitely worth a try if you don’t mind the commute!
Also got Basset’s in stoke too. Most pallet networks take new drivers in my experience
DeanCrescent

Post by DeanCrescent »

Don't let this set you back Ellisssewo, I get that it's a kick in the teeth but if your goal is to drive hgv then keep going. Google local companies then call them up.
MikeyNNike

Post by MikeyNNike »

Have you tried lying on you CV?
ed+vellade

Post by ed+vellade »

MikeyNNike wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:14 am Have you tried lying on you CV?
they put you through a driving assessment anyway
nufc4rogo

Post by nufc4rogo »

ed+vellade wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:16 am
that's fine, put any mistakes down to nerves
ed+vellade

Post by ed+vellade »

nufc4rogo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:17 am
had an assessment at dhl castle donnington right after my test, drive went ok but reversing on a bay between 2 other trailers was way too hard to get spot on without proper training. Guy who assessed me said come back in a few weeks after gaining some xp
nufc4rogo

Post by nufc4rogo »

ed+vellade wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:17 am

had an assessment at dhl castle donnington right after my test, drive went ok but reversing on a bay between 2 other trailers was way too hard to get spot on without proper training. Guy who assessed me said come back in a few weeks after gaining some xp
I get that and agre3 with ya bud, bit he's a bus driver already, I think? Might be fine if he just takes his time
nufc4rogo

Post by nufc4rogo »

class 2 no 1
ed+vellade

Post by ed+vellade »

nufc4rogo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:18 am

class 2 no 1
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

class 2 no 1
*she is a bus driver yes. Still never reversed onto a bay though! Just getting a driving assessment would be a fine thing, usually don’t hear back at all. At least DHL had the decency to email me 😂
nufc4rogo

Post by nufc4rogo »

ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:19 am

class 2 no 1
*she is a bus driver yes. Still never reversed onto a bay though! Just getting a driving assessment would be a fine thing, usually don’t hear back at all. At least DHL had the decency to email me 😂
f**k sakes I just assumed. Your gender 🥺 my apologies I didn't even read your names just the status 🫣
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

nufc4rogo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:20 am
ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:19 am

class 2 no 1
f**k sakes I just assumed. Your gender 🥺 my apologies I didn't even read your names just the status 🫣
hahaha that’s okay. 9 years in this male dominated industry I am very much used to being called a bloke 😂
JordByword

Post by JordByword »

and how would that help? they download your tacho on every assessment. how are you gonna explain lack if entries? lol
rookeur357

Post by rookeur357 »

JordByword wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:22 am
and how would that help? they download your tacho on every assessment. how are you gonna explain lack if entries? lol
been off sick with a broken leg for 6 weeks? 😁
MikeyNNike

Post by MikeyNNike »

they didn’t when I started with DHL
MikeyNNike

Post by MikeyNNike »

rookeur357 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:22 am
been off sick with a broken leg for 6 weeks? 😁
or get a new tachograph card
MikeyNNike

Post by MikeyNNike »

or you could say you’ve just got back from doing the Dakar rally in a truck. Tell them you came in 4th so were a bit disappointed, but your glad you did it as it was an experience of a lifetime. Would also recommend hitting the sun beds and getting a bit builders sand to rub on your work boot.
Br+ownLife

Post by Br+ownLife »

the pass date on the licence will give her away though.
MikeyNNike

Post by MikeyNNike »

Br+ownLife wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:31 am
tell them you’ve been driving a road sweeper for 15 years
MikeyNNike

Post by MikeyNNike »

And that you were voted road sweeper of the year 2017 in the prestigious BROOM awards
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

I passed in august 2021!
Br+ownLife

Post by Br+ownLife »

ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:35 am
I passed in august 2021!
has your tacho card been used regularly too? (Not sure what type of bus driving you currently do)
MikeyNNike

Post by MikeyNNike »

I passed in august 2021!
you don’t need an Hgv licence to drive any size road sweeper
pauaFFree

Post by pauaFFree »

MikeyNNike wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:36 am

I passed in august 2021!
you don’t need an Hgv licence to drive any size road sweeper
I did worked all my life 🤣
JohnJohnn

Post by JohnJohnn »

I work for DHL and its not them thats the issue, its usually the customer contracts they run. On my contract during the "driver shortage" the customer allowed inexperienced new passes. But now the so called shortage isn't as much of an issue the customers are requested 1-2 years experience again. Good luck.
keviNNoone

Post by keviNNoone »

DHL are up there own backside they couldn't even hang on to the Tesco contract longer than 13months just move on & don't worry yourself
JordByword

Post by JordByword »

Tuffnells would take you on as a 7.5 but it's graft. Then they will give you class 2 work and may even progress you into Class 1. Give them a shot. They are always opening doors to inexperienced drivers.
YOUNGERIA

Post by YOUNGERIA »

Apply to agencies to get experience
OR
apply for class 2 jobs at big companies that have class 1 explaining you have licence within 6 months you'll be bigwheeling
Good luck
Morrinz370

Post by Morrinz370 »

Have You tried a Culina, Great Bear, Eddie Stobart, Fowler Welch, Warrens (all part of Culina group) if any are near You
EM_Condemn

Post by EM_Condemn »

In my experience of agency it and lack of work is a mith you just can't be too picky. I worked for an agency for week and a half and was offered 3 jobs in that time so it's well worth joining however it maybe different in the area you live in so please take that into account also that letter does mean they won't take you on it just me they have someone who applied at that point with more experience than u
danniScrawny

Post by danniScrawny »

I see you’re in stoke try great bear they do Michelin. I’ve seen panelco advertise recently too. I think there also may be a job at allied bakeries in Newcastle that’s doing kingsmill bread.
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

danniScrawny wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:45 am I see you’re in stoke try great bear they do Michelin. I’ve seen panelco advertise recently too. I think there also may be a job at allied bakeries in Newcastle that’s doing kingsmill bread.
I’ve applied for panelco! Thanks so much, I’ll try the others too. 99% of the time I apply and never hear anything back ☹️
danniScrawny

Post by danniScrawny »

ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:46 am
danniScrawny wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:45 am I see you’re in stoke try great bear they do Michelin. I’ve seen panelco advertise recently too. I think there also may be a job at allied bakeries in Newcastle that’s doing kingsmill bread.
I’ve applied for panelco! Thanks so much, I’ll try the others too. 99% of the time I apply and never hear anything back ☹️
I’ve also seen that evri have opened a depot in Crewe they were taking on not sure if they still are
oliveDDexce

Post by oliveDDexce »

PanelCo usually recruit through Xpert.
I was temp to perm with them but their transport manager f**ked up and I was let go for it.
Asked him to check my load cos I couldn't find part, and he sent me out. Got to the customer and it wasn't on. They dropped me and didn't even have the balls to tell me they had.
Flett-Savior

Post by Flett-Savior »

try and ring them mate. Will always go in your favour
JordByword

Post by JordByword »

that depot opens in september I think. which is weird, as not long ago they've closed the crewe depot and moved it to warrington.
danniScrawny

Post by danniScrawny »

JordByword wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:49 am
that depot opens in september I think. which is weird, as not long ago they've closed the crewe depot and moved it to warrington.
yeah they did I used to work there when it was parcelnet when the building was first built. I’m not sure if they’re going back to the same building or not
mattzah.358

Post by mattzah.358 »

if at all possible knock on doors sometimes better than applying I understand who you must feel with the email they sent you looks like we will employ new passes etc. if NOBODY else applies don’t give up hope what area you in ???
DoyleeTman

Post by DoyleeTman »

At least you got a reply. You may already be doing this but have you bigged up your current job. Don't forget you are dealing with an HR department probably staffed by people who have never driven anything bigger than a Citroën C1. They will have little idea of the size of a bus not realizing that many buses are bigger than an HGV 2 and they certainly won't understand the challenges of steering a bus through town centers or small villages.
lemarr_tinfo

Post by lemarr_tinfo »

Try to get in Royal Mail as a post person. Could open a few doors for you.
SmithForthwith

Post by SmithForthwith »

lemarr_tinfo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:52 am Try to get in Royal Mail as a post person. Could open a few doors for you.
it’s a postman.
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

SmithForthwith wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:52 am
lemarr_tinfo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:52 am Try to get in Royal Mail as a post person. Could open a few doors for you.
it’s a postman.
but I’m a lady so I would be a postlady 😁😂
SmithForthwith

Post by SmithForthwith »

ELLISSSEWO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:52 am
it’s a postman.
but I’m a lady so I would be a postlady 😁😂
that’s okay.
lemarr_tinfo

Post by lemarr_tinfo »

it’s a postman.
yes. Joining Royal Mail as a post “ person” is a route to getting a job driving trucks for them.
nimmoet359

Post by nimmoet359 »

If you’re north west i could point you in the right direction of my management, we got taken over by dhl this year and as far as i know still hire “differently”.
I was taken on with Ryder, completely green 2 years ago, my management wasn’t worried about inexperience.
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

nimmoet359 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:55 am If you’re north west i could point you in the right direction of my management, we got taken over by dhl this year and as far as i know still hire “differently”.
I was taken on with Ryder, completely green 2 years ago, my management wasn’t worried about inexperience.
thank you. I’m midlands though, Stoke-on-Trent to be exact!
steggeLil

Post by steggeLil »

How long have you had your class 2..?
OldLongtime

Post by OldLongtime »

Try s j bargh at longton, st31jb or their sister company bassetts at tittensor st129hd
callu4ikem

Post by callu4ikem »

I started off like yourself as a bus driver and I made the move to lorries. I worked for agencies you get moved from pillar to post but you get so much experience in such a short amount of time because of it. I'm now 26 with a full licence, full adr and I've pretty much done most things.
360-warricey

Post by 360-warricey »

So the bit I get out of this is you are a bus driver capable of carrying 50plus passengers in a long square box around cities and they say you can't drive a van carrying boxes.... 🤔
ELLISSSEWO

Post by ELLISSSEWO »

360-warricey wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:09 am So the bit I get out of this is you are a bus driver capable of carrying 50plus passengers in a long square box around cities and they say you can't drive a van carrying boxes.... 🤔
can carry up to 100 passengers on our new double deckers but don’t have experience to drive boxes about nope 🤣

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”