Been doing 4 days class 1 work first bit of work since passing, was hoping I’d get a job full time job at the end of

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
folley+steve

Been doing 4 days class 1 work first bit of work since passing, was hoping I’d get a job full time job at the end of

Post by folley+steve »

Been doing 4 days class 1 work first bit of work since passing, driving forward I’m fine, reversing hit and miss but 9/10 still get it on the bay, was hoping I’d get a job full time job at the end of it but due to not having the correct insurance and my reversing not being great after 4 days, then I have to look for another job, but difficult as I don’t want tramping, I don’t mind a few days tramping but don’t want to be out all week, so again if anyone around Carlise Penrith area needs a driver please let me know, I’m not giving up I’ll get there eventually.
folley+steve

Re: Been doing 4 days class 1 work first bit of work since passing, was hoping I’d get a job full time job at the end of

Post by folley+steve »

MIKElement wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:14 pm Jenks on days or nights
they want 1 year experience mate
FEZJaeericon

Re: Been doing 4 days class 1 work first bit of work since passing, was hoping I’d get a job full time job at the end of

Post by FEZJaeericon »

lie 🤷🏽‍♂️ ngl it’s the only way I ever sorted myself decent jobs out and always managed to smash it and never crashed and always left left jobs so far being told they’d be happy to have me back if it didn’t work out. If you lie about anything you need to make yourself prove it
Nay+ezerso

Post by Nay+ezerso »

I work for jenks out of Chippenham and I only had 4 months I know its more than the lad posted but they gave me a chance so maybe just try your luck
MIKElement

Post by MIKElement »

Nay+ezerso wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:17 pm
I work for jenks out of Chippenham and I only had 4 months I know its more than the lad posted but they gave me a chance so maybe just try your luck
I worked for jenks out of penrith for a good few years! Went all over uk & a few to eu! Used to take new starters out for a few days some times, even applied to ne driver trainer! Did every thing going! Wood chip& dust, recycled, fert, scrap & even waste & flats.
One end of country to other!
467-willdeers

Post by 467-willdeers »

Reversing will come with practice. Sounds a silly question. But are you looking at back of trailer or watching the axis on axles as you reverse?
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

467-willdeers wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:18 pm Reversing will come with practice. Sounds a silly question. But are you looking at back of trailer or watching the axis on axles as you reverse?
back of Trailer is that where I’m going wrong?
hillzONNE

Post by hillzONNE »

folley+steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:18 pm
467-willdeers wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:18 pm Reversing will come with practice. Sounds a silly question. But are you looking at back of trailer or watching the axis on axles as you reverse?
nope as that’s what’s gonna hit something first
467-willdeers

Post by 467-willdeers »

could be mate. Prob all different for all of us. But trailer will turn mostly on middle wheel (of a triaxle) difficult to explain but if your aiming for very back of the trailer to go where you want it. You may need to be keeping an eye on that middle axle.
Only trying to help.
467-willdeers

Post by 467-willdeers »

This is in no way a dig at you or anything. I was crap when I first started. Then realized on my first ever day that I had to strip a tilt trailer out. It was a long time ago but I could have cried lol
Arffon4az

Post by Arffon4az »

Everyone does it different. You'll learn just by doing it as stupid as that sounds. Best advice I can give is just start reversing before correcting the steering most people over compensate before they've even seen where the trailer is going. Honestly after about a month you'll reverse into bays without thinking twice about it.
YAMINEXT

Post by YAMINEXT »

exactly mate, only 4 weeks in myself and tri axle trailer is try put that middle axle where you want it to be 👍getting easier each day, just gotta get out the habit of over hooking it! 👍🤦‍♂️🤣
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

YAMINEXT wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:22 pm
exactly mate, only 4 weeks in myself and tri axle trailer is try put that middle axle where you want it to be 👍getting easier each day, just gotta get out the habit of over hooking it! 👍🤦‍♂️🤣
That’s what I keep doing, back end flicks out past drivers side when trying to get it straight, but realized yesterday that all I have to do is full left lock move forward a couple of feet then it brings the trailer into line, before heater when it done it id just pull out again and start again, leaning little by little but it’s no good if I’m out of a job again 4 days in for insurance purposes or 9/10 bay parks, whatever the reason it sucks because I just want to crack on and learn
roseeMO

Post by roseeMO »

have u tried currie solutions just up the m6
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

roseeMO wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:24 pm have u tried currie solutions just up the m6
sent my cv this evening 👍
roseeMO

Post by roseeMO »

folley+steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:24 pm
roseeMO wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:24 pm have u tried currie solutions just up the m6
sent my cv this evening 👍
they keep head hunting me but i live nowhere near 🤣
468.ollnextch

Post by 468.ollnextch »

Reversing will come with practice, don't worry about having to take shunts and don't feel under pressure about anyone watching and judging.
468.ollnextch

Post by 468.ollnextch »

Even experienced drivers don't get it right all the time.
Tudor1ives

Post by Tudor1ives »

It just takes time onwards and upwards Drive
487-normallis

Post by 487-normallis »

Tudor1ives wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:26 pm It just takes time onwards and upwards Drive
time you up tomorrow Rafa sh*t?
Tudor1ives

Post by Tudor1ives »

487-normallis wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:28 pm
Tudor1ives wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:26 pm It just takes time onwards and upwards Drive
always up sharp Pongo you coming for that scrap then
487-normallis

Post by 487-normallis »

Tudor1ives wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:29 pm
487-normallis wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:28 pm
always up sharp Pongo you coming for that scrap then
yep and a cuppa boot 10 if ok?
Jenn1atro

Post by Jenn1atro »

I've been driving 40yrs but still have a shunt sometimes all bays are different I find the more room I have the less I concentrate.. it will come in time best to have a shunt than hit something
bartleePIN

Post by bartleePIN »

Jenn1atro wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:32 pm I've been driving 40yrs but still have a shunt sometimes all bays are different I find the more room I have the less I concentrate.. it will come in time best to have a shunt than hit something
me too! 😁
JohnnyTimes

Post by JohnnyTimes »

Best bit of advice I can offer is, when you think you’ve given yourself enough room, give yourself more, go a bit further forward cos it gives you more room for corrections on the way back.
Depending on where your bays are, resist the temptation to turn away from them too early - especially when on your good side. Wait til you can see the full width of the bay in your mirrors then turn hard to your left.
JohnnyTimes

Post by JohnnyTimes »

Keep watching for the arse end of the trailer on your good side to come in line with your bay, then steer to the right. You should be practically in place to guide it in then either in your mirrors or out of your window.
The hardest bit I found was trailers with different overhangs/ pin depths. But when you grasp where the trailer is going, the rest clicks into place. Ironically I’m better in my mirrors than out of the window!!
Nigel2phan

Post by Nigel2phan »

Try the Post Office or supermarkets hubs.
488.smycopect

Post by 488.smycopect »

been doing class 1 for about 9 months, reversing does just come to you, some days it just won't though lol 🤷🏼‍♂️ don't worry about it bud, something will turn up 👍🏻
Jonat.Conatus

Post by Jonat.Conatus »

488.smycopect wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:48 pm been doing class 1 for about 9 months, reversing does just come to you, some days it just won't though lol 🤷🏼‍♂️ don't worry about it bud, something will turn up 👍🏻
totally agree with this I’ve been 9 months now most the time absolutely bang on no shunts others it’s shunt shunt shunt 😂 I find also it’s about your start position before the reverse
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

Jonat.Conatus wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:49 pm
488.smycopect wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:48 pm been doing class 1 for about 9 months, reversing does just come to you, some days it just won't though lol 🤷🏼‍♂️ don't worry about it bud, something will turn up 👍🏻
totally agree with this I’ve been 9 months now most the time absolutely bang on no shunts others it’s shunt shunt shunt 😂 I find also it’s about your start position before the reverse
it’s not the shunting or reversing that’s the issue mate it’s not being given the opportunity long enough to learn.
Jonat.Conatus

Post by Jonat.Conatus »

folley+steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:49 pm
it’s not the shunting or reversing that’s the issue mate it’s not being given the opportunity long enough to learn.
I know mate luckily the guys at Evri gave me the chance and stuck with me, got general banter about it but all the ones with class 1 experience
Jonat.Conatus

Post by Jonat.Conatus »

where happy to help and guide me in the right direction, if ya happy doing a bit of class 2 work give them a shout we’re looking at the moment and the work ain’t that bad and the pays ok
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

Jonat.Conatus wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:50 pm

I know mate luckily the guys at Evri gave me the chance and stuck with me, got general banter about it but all the ones with class 1 experience
I used to work class 2 on the mixer trucks, went well but passed my class 1 to drive class 1, people don’t give you enough time though, just when things start to click in where you are going wrong and how to correct it, you then lose a job, I’ll give evri a bash but not for class 2 maybe I’ll just ask for shunting work if they have nothing for class 1,
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

Jonat.Conatus wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:51 pm

where happy to help and guide me in the right direction, if ya happy doing a bit of class 2 work give them a shout we’re looking at the moment and the work ain’t that bad and the pays ok
I’d prefer to be sent out alone if I do get class 1 work soon, sometimes when someone is with you and in your ear you lose concentration, sometimes it’s best to figure these things out for yourself
Jonat.Conatus

Post by Jonat.Conatus »

folley+steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:52 pm

I’d prefer to be sent out alone if I do get class 1 work soon, sometimes when someone is with you and in your ear you lose concentration, sometimes it’s best to figure these things out for yourself
we only have 1 class 1 out of peak and there’s a line of people waiting to get on it I was lucky and got on it quite soon after being given my contract and they let me prove myself and only sent me out with someone on my first run, we don’t use shunters either usually only at bank hols most the class 1 work is done from the main hubs up to us.
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

Jonat.Conatus wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:53 pm

we only have 1 class 1 out of peak and there’s a line of people waiting to get on it I was lucky and got on it quite soon after being given my contract and they let me prove myself and only sent me out with someone on my first run, we don’t use shunters either usually only at bank hols most the class 1 work is done from the main hubs up to us.
you in Carlisle?
Jonat.Conatus

Post by Jonat.Conatus »

folley+steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:54 pm

you in Carlisle?
yea
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

Jonat.Conatus wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:56 pm

you in Carlisle?
yea
you trunking in class 1? Guess if there is only 1 class 1 lorry out of Carlise then I’d be on class 2 again?
Jonat.Conatus

Post by Jonat.Conatus »

folley+steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:56 pm

you in Carlisle?
yea
you trunking in class 1? Guess if there is only 1 class 1 lorry out of Carlise then I’d be on class 2 again?
it runs up to Selkirk and back up the a7, will do more routes come October when peak Christmas stuff starts coming through. But yea I still do days on the class 2 suits me while I get the experience that everyone else wants you to have
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

Jonat.Conatus wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:57 pm

yea
it runs up to Selkirk and back up the a7, will do more routes come October when peak Christmas stuff starts coming through. But yea I still do days on the class 2 suits me while I get the experience that everyone else wants you to have
have a word with your boss please mate when you are in Monday, can send you my number if he wants to speak or I can go and chat with him next week, guess I’ll just have to take what I can get.
Jonat.Conatus

Post by Jonat.Conatus »

folley+steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:58 pm

have a word with your boss please mate when you are in Monday, can send you my number if he wants to speak or I can go and chat with him next week, guess I’ll just have to take what I can get.
that’s pretty much it that’s why I took it and I’ve enjoyed it so far and as I say they gave me a chance and stuck with me. I’m in today so if ya wanna pm me I’ll give it to him when I get back to depot and he can have a crack with ya, job should be on indeed as well
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

Jonat.Conatus wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:59 pm

that’s pretty much it that’s why I took it and I’ve enjoyed it so far and as I say they gave me a chance and stuck with me. I’m in today so if ya wanna pm me I’ll give it to him when I get back to depot and he can have a crack with ya, job should be on indeed as well
cheers sent you pm 👍
Rober2eano

Post by Rober2eano »

folley+steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:59 pm

cheers sent you pm 👍
that is the frustrating bit. I was constantly getting the knock back due to no driving experience. But how do we gain that ??? But eventually got a great with local firm some mo this ago.
Rober2eano

Post by Rober2eano »

folley+steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:59 pm

cheers sent you pm 👍
They took me out for an assignment drive, had a couple of drives in the passenger seat with one of there drivers and was given job doing holiday cover for them To be honest I’ve not been behind the wheel for couple of weeks now and Iam really missing it. Keep positive Steve. I feel your frustration but you will get a break. 👍.
zieeBUggy

Post by zieeBUggy »

Trust me… Nail it first time! Great! If at first you don’t succeed…
curtCConvert

Post by curtCConvert »

It took me a few months to get comfortable with reversing. One day it will just click and you’ll be able to put it in anywhere.
469_terrisco

Post by 469_terrisco »

Any man that says he can reverse a trailer perfectly, anywhere within 4 days is a liar. Every bay is different, every yard is different. Find it a bit harsh a company not giving you a chance after 4 days. When I 1st started I was having my doubts if job was for me after a good few weeks. Just takes time in my opinion, you'll find your own knack of reversing whether it's using the end of the trailer or the middle axle as your pivoting point. Both work but some use one instead of the others.
469_terrisco

Post by 469_terrisco »

I was in the job about 7 weeks when I was introduced to what I thought was an impossible blind side reverse, took me about twenty minutes to do it 1st few times. I could do it now with one eye closed not even thinking about it. As most have said here, it comes with time and practice and it will just click some day. Few weeks down the line you'll be thinking what was all the fuss about.
Nigellz-Kenji

Post by Nigellz-Kenji »

469_terrisco wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:28 pm Any man that says he can reverse a trailer perfectly, anywhere within 4 days is a liar. Every bay is different, every yard is different. Find it a bit harsh a company not giving you a chance after 4 days. When I 1st started I was having my doubts if job was for me after a good few weeks. Just takes time in my opinion, you'll find your own knack of reversing whether it's using the end of the trailer or the middle axle as your pivoting point. Both work but some use one instead of the others.
put your feet in my boots and try it still half cut with 1 eye still closed 😂
469_terrisco

Post by 469_terrisco »

Nigellz-Kenji wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:29 pm
469_terrisco wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:28 pm Any man that says he can reverse a trailer perfectly, anywhere within 4 days is a liar. Every bay is different, every yard is different. Find it a bit harsh a company not giving you a chance after 4 days. When I 1st started I was having my doubts if job was for me after a good few weeks. Just takes time in my opinion, you'll find your own knack of reversing whether it's using the end of the trailer or the middle axle as your pivoting point. Both work but some use one instead of the others.
put your feet in my boots and try it still half cut with 1 eye still closed 😂
lmao 🤣
lukeepar449

Post by lukeepar449 »

Been driving 40 years and still mess up reversing sometimes 😂
McKennzio

Post by McKennzio »

lukeepar449 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:29 pm Been driving 40 years and still mess up reversing sometimes 😂
it’s the nature of the game isn’t it nice to hear an old hand admitting it though same as me been in the game on and off since 79 but I still mess up now and again
lukeepar449

Post by lukeepar449 »

McKennzio wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:30 pm
lukeepar449 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:29 pm Been driving 40 years and still mess up reversing sometimes 😂
it’s the nature of the game isn’t it nice to hear an old hand admitting it though same as me been in the game on and off since 79 but I still mess up now and again
was parking at trowel this weeks took 4 shunts to get in between two other trucks, mind you didn’t help as the v8 driver had his front grill up 😂
Kar4balyns

Post by Kar4balyns »

Go to stobarts for a few month for the experience
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

Kar4balyns wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:33 pm Go to stobarts for a few month for the experience
tried sending my cv and calling don’t get anywhere
Kar4balyns

Post by Kar4balyns »

folley+steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:34 pm
Kar4balyns wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:33 pm Go to stobarts for a few month for the experience
tried sending my cv and calling don’t get anywhere
CV's never work, walk in to places and ask for the manager, they take more notice when your face to face...
barn1espa

Post by barn1espa »

It doesn't matter how many shunts it takes you to get on to a bay, the main thing is that you do not hit anything.
Dunky.Matrix

Post by Dunky.Matrix »

Reversing hit and miss for all seasoned drivers too. We all have our bad days.
mart2quee

Post by mart2quee »

Try RTKeedwells they take on day drivers or if you don’t mind 3 nights out they do 4 on 4 off trampers
folley+steve

Post by folley+steve »

taylogee450 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:36 pm Have you tried Gist at carlisle
same nonsense 1 year need my license in my wallet and 6 month’s experience, a logic I can’t understand, the world has gone bonkers over the last few years
taylogee450

Post by taylogee450 »

folley+steve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:37 pm
taylogee450 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:36 pm Have you tried Gist at carlisle
same nonsense 1 year need my license in my wallet and 6 month’s experience, a logic I can’t understand, the world has gone bonkers over the last few years
it’s never been easy to get your first job Steve, there is not that much about as it is so employers can pick and choose so makes it even harder for lads like yourself trying to get started.
GreenFFortune

Post by GreenFFortune »

Just take it at your own pace few shunts no problem you will get there eventually it’s called getting your experience don’t worry nice n easy 👍👍👍
Pauul_Stein

Post by Pauul_Stein »

Don’t know what agency work is like up there, but when peak season hits (if it does this year 🤞) they change their tune pretty quick
Pauul_Stein

Post by Pauul_Stein »

Have you done any class 2 work previously, or straight or class 1?
edward4ns

Post by edward4ns »

Stick at it.. Try night trunking for a pallet or parcel network to get some proper experience...
Jonat.Conatus

Post by Jonat.Conatus »

Evri are looking for class 2 day drivers, do have class 1 also but not as much
adrconn451

Post by adrconn451 »

On reversing its practice makes perfect and my instructor said treat it like a woman slowly and gradually and you will always be in control
489_edmonicen

Post by 489_edmonicen »

I been driving 30 years now and still have the odd day when mess reversing up. We all have bad days
Ne8maxico

Post by Ne8maxico »

489_edmonicen wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:43 pm I been driving 30 years now and still have the odd day when mess reversing up. We all have bad days
that we do
bexBBetty

Post by bexBBetty »

489_edmonicen wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:43 pm I been driving 30 years now and still have the odd day when mess reversing up. We all have bad days
I’m everyday in a daf 🙄🙈 x
MikkeNEER

Post by MikkeNEER »

Try Armstrong’s at Longtown. Milk. General. Pallet work
stat8zone

Post by stat8zone »

Dont give up..we all struggled..you will get there soon..practice makes perfect.

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”