Hello guys, What do all drivers think the hourly rate should be and why? Do operators agree?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
ADELLOCIAN

Hello guys, What do all drivers think the hourly rate should be and why? Do operators agree?

Post by ADELLOCIAN »

guyesse-663

Re: Hello guys, What do all drivers think the hourly rate should be and why? Do operators agree?

Post by guyesse-663 »

If you were paying £100 and hour some twat would want £101!
guyesse-663

Re: Hello guys, What do all drivers think the hourly rate should be and why? Do operators agree?

Post by guyesse-663 »

I think what needs addressing more is the fact that most companies expect you to do overtime and use tip work as an advertisement to boost wages!
guyesse-663

Post by guyesse-663 »

Personally I think the salary should be around the 40k mark. The average uk wage is just over 25k for 40 hours.
guyesse-663

Post by guyesse-663 »

So if you are expecting someone to work 60ish then the wage should be up there with that.
Any tips or extras on top.
Charlee-kinn

Post by Charlee-kinn »

We’re classed as professional drivers!! So should be paid Accordingly. So minimum of £13 a hour!! We transport people safely to and from work and school and everything in between!!
Charlee-kinn

Post by Charlee-kinn »

We get so much grief for the job we do!! We’re always in the wrong. Guilty until proven innocent!! We need to remember they are not a number but a vital part of the company!!!
653_aneellum

Post by 653_aneellum »

I think professional drivers should get a wage that reflects the responsibility they have, however, the customer / end user won’t pay the going rate to hire a coach.
653_aneellum

Post by 653_aneellum »

Operators have two choices, be a busy fool by reducing hire rates to try and keep drivers in work, pay running costs and so on, or charge the correct hire rates and run the risk of not having the work needed to survive. Unfortunately it’s a very fine line.
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

Wages should be between you and your staff.
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

What works for one location won’t work for another… wages should not be divulged on here or to general public
Charlee-kinn

Post by Charlee-kinn »

MatthKKaven wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:48 pm Wages should be between you and your staff.
you work for management??
Charlee-kinn

Post by Charlee-kinn »

MatthKKaven wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:48 pm What works for one location won’t work for another… wages should not be divulged on here or to general public
On a bonus? So what do you think minim wage should be compared to a professional driver?
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

Charlee-kinn wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:48 pm
MatthKKaven wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:48 pm Wages should be between you and your staff.
you work for management??
I think I said wages should be between directors & staff.
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

Charlee-kinn wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:49 pm
MatthKKaven wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:48 pm What works for one location won’t work for another… wages should not be divulged on here or to general public
On a bonus? So what do you think minim wage should be compared to a professional driver?
No one else’s business.
PeriPercento

Post by PeriPercento »

Wages should be like train drivers or airline pilots as we have more to deal with
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

PeriPercento wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:50 pm Wages should be like train drivers or airline pilots as we have more to deal with
Yes. 100%.
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

PeriPercento wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:50 pm Wages should be like train drivers or airline pilots as we have more to deal with
Let’s all get the same as pilots.. because the responsibility is the Same right?
nicky2land

Post by nicky2land »

The days when poverty level wages were a secret between an an employer and his debt ridden employee are thankfully over. I don’t see why my taxes should make up an employees wages in order that the his boss can become ever increasingly wealthy Did you want us to subsidies your diesel and maintenance costs as well.
nicky2land

Post by nicky2land »

I appreciate that Covid has hit passenger numbers and cheap labour from Eastern Europe has dried up. It’s life. Some poorly run and unprofitable businesses will fail. The fact of life is that there is a shortage of labour, especially skilled labour, and that the skill set of bus drivers is easily transferable to the logistics industry which is paying somewhere in the region of £18 ~ £25 ph.
nicky2land

Post by nicky2land »

Accepting there are differences between the two professions I find it difficult that drivers should be paid any less than £13 ph basic at the very least.
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

nicky2land wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:52 pm Accepting there are differences between the two professions I find it difficult that drivers should be paid any less than £13 ph basic at the very least.
Yeah. And? Wages should be between employer & employee. Not for public consumption
653_aneellum

Post by 653_aneellum »

nicky2land wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:51 pm
The days when poverty level wages were a secret between an an employer and his debt ridden employee are thankfully over. I don’t see why my taxes should make up an employees wages in order that the his boss can become ever increasingly wealthy Did you want us to subsidies your diesel and maintenance costs as well.
I think the days of a wealthy operator are a distant memory, I certainly don’t know any. I’m not trying to justify poorly paid professional drivers.
653_aneellum

Post by 653_aneellum »

nicky2land wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:52 pm
I appreciate that Covid has hit passenger numbers and cheap labour from Eastern Europe has dried up. It’s life. Some poorly run and unprofitable businesses will fail. The fact of life is that there is a shortage of labour, especially skilled labour, and that the skill set of bus drivers is easily transferable to the logistics industry which is paying somewhere in the region of £18 ~ £25 ph.
The issue has not been created by the employer, it’s a combination of spiraling overheads whereas the cost of hiring a coach has remained relatively unchanged for years.
nicky2land

Post by nicky2land »

653_aneellum wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:53 pm
I think the days of a wealthy operator are a distant memory, I certainly don’t know any. I’m not trying to justify poorly paid professional drivers.
As an ex transport manager I do sympathize especially with coach operators who I understand weren’t able to claim various Govt payments during the earlier period of the crisis.
nicky2land

Post by nicky2land »

653_aneellum wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:54 pm
The issue has not been created by the employer, it’s a combination of spiraling overheads whereas the cost of hiring a coach has remained relatively unchanged for years.
In return I’m sure you understand my frustration at the tax payer having to subsidies the passenger transport industry (and indeed many other industries) because of unrealistic wages paid by employers.
nicky2land

Post by nicky2land »

I see that the £13 ph wages which I suggest are already being paid by some forward thinking companies.
653_aneellum

Post by 653_aneellum »

nicky2land wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:54 pm

As an ex transport manager I do sympathize especially with coach operators who I understand weren’t able to claim various Govt payments during the earlier period of the crisis.
I understand and appreciate that the salary for PCV drivers is far from ideal and somewhat behind other sectors. I agree in better pay and conditions for our industry.
653_aneellum

Post by 653_aneellum »

nicky2land wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:55 pm

In return I’m sure you understand my frustration at the tax payer having to subsidies the passenger transport industry (and indeed many other industries) because of unrealistic wages paid by employers.
Most operators would like to charge the correct rate but rates are customer driven. The industry needs to change but it’s an age old issue.
653_aneellum

Post by 653_aneellum »

I see that the £13 ph wages which I suggest are already being paid by some forward thinking companies.
With the haulage sector ~ salary rates have increased to satisfy demand but the cost to haul goods also increased, however, it’s the end user ultimately picks up the tab as everything we buy is increasing in cost.
nicky2land

Post by nicky2land »

653_aneellum wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:56 pm
nicky2land wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:54 pm

I understand and appreciate that the salary for PCV drivers is far from ideal and somewhat behind other sectors. I agree in better pay and conditions for our industry.
it is sadly a vicious circle but carrying on paying an inadequate living wage is not only immoral but forced drivers out of the industry.
nicky2land

Post by nicky2land »

Most operators would like to charge the correct rate but rates are customer driven. The industry needs to change but it’s an age old issue.
No drivers, no industry..
nicky2land

Post by nicky2land »

With the haulage sector ~ salary rates have increased to satisfy demand but the cost to haul goods also increased, however, it’s the end user ultimately picks up the tab as everything we buy is increasing in cost.
Anyway Aneellum, it’s been a pleasure chatting to someone who can put forward a sensible argument. Take care.
MICHALLIS

Post by MICHALLIS »

It does not matter what we want if you live in essex where there is no shortage of drivers your get crap pay like I do
MICHALLIS

Post by MICHALLIS »

£9.24 a hour the best in this area is £13.50 but that’s just 1 company the rest all pay the same sort of money
jeenesse.664

Post by jeenesse.664 »

MICHALLIS wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:58 pm It does not matter what we want if you live in essex where there is no shortage of drivers your get crap pay like I do
if you are going to work for £9.24 must be a poor driver whit 11 points on your licence and S£££ DBS 🤣
I have ABCDE with 0 points for the beginning.. I used to drove more than 30 routes in Red bus LONDON... other 8 routes in ESSEX.. lorries..
jeenesse.664

Post by jeenesse.664 »

MICHALLIS wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:59 pm £9.24 a hour the best in this area is £13.50 but that’s just 1 company the rest all pay the same sort of money
Now coach driver... But I will stay home under £13/h 😉
When you enjoy driving and you are confident YOU choose where to drive no sh@@@ company’s to choose you 😉
MICHALLIS

Post by MICHALLIS »

jeenesse.664 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:00 pm
MICHALLIS wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:59 pm £9.24 a hour the best in this area is £13.50 but that’s just 1 company the rest all pay the same sort of money
Now coach driver... But I will stay home under £13/h 😉
When you enjoy driving and you are confident YOU choose where to drive no sh@@@ company’s to choose you 😉
it’s the going rate here in north Essex
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

If your going to pay £15 an hour you want a smart driver that cleans coaches and doesn’t hit them!
guyesse-663

Post by guyesse-663 »

MatthKKaven wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:01 pm How many do that?
I suppose the adage ‘you pay peanuts you get monkeys’ springs to mind
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

guyesse-663 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:01 pm
or if you pay more you just get expensive idiots?
guyesse-663

Post by guyesse-663 »

MatthKKaven wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:02 pm
maybe maybe not, but many have left the industry through no fault of their own and found other work so something needs to be done to entice them back or attract new ones…
guyesse-663

Post by guyesse-663 »

Not all are expensive idiots… The race to the bottom continues… Plenty of greedy operators that cut corners to make more…
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

guyesse-663 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:02 pm

maybe maybe not, but many have left the industry through no fault of their own and found other work so something needs to be done to entice them back or attract new ones…
if you need to cut corners to make more your business plan is wrong.
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

Not all are expensive idiots… The race to the bottom continues… Plenty of greedy operators that cut corners to make more…
Charge the right price. Have the right vehicles
guyesse-663

Post by guyesse-663 »

MatthKKaven wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:03 pm

oh I agree but many will undercut just to get work, refuse to pay parking, poor maintenance etc…
guyesse-663

Post by guyesse-663 »

Plenty of crap employers as well as employees
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

guyesse-663 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:04 pm

oh I agree but many will undercut just to get work, refuse to pay parking, poor maintenance etc…
that’s the problem with the industry!
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

I know of companies who sacked their drivers at the start of covid then furloughed them all. Drivers never got a penny.
guyesse-663

Post by guyesse-663 »

MatthKKaven wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:04 pm

I was one of those, changed jobs just before the pandemic, got laid off, now retrained… more money less hours… where’s the incentive to return to coaches?
guyesse-663

Post by guyesse-663 »

MatthKKaven wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:05 pm

I know of companies who sacked their drivers at the start of covid then furloughed them all. Drivers never got a penny.
The company had the cheek to phone me in June to ask if I could cover some tours for them! I politely declined their offer
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

guyesse-663 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:05 pm
MatthKKaven wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:04 pm

I was one of those, changed jobs just before the pandemic, got laid off, now retrained… more money less hours… where’s the incentive to return to coaches?
that’s unnecessary.. we didn’t lay anyone off, utilized Furlough when necessary. Even helped some others… and employed a few
MatthKKaven

Post by MatthKKaven »

guyesse-663 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:06 pm
MatthKKaven wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:05 pm

The company had the cheek to phone me in June to ask if I could cover some tours for them! I politely declined their offer
treat people how you expect to be treated… yes occasionally your disappointed but sometimes people are just grateful…
Navy-mestta

Post by Navy-mestta »

£18 PH & 1.5 overtime.
cra+nstery

Post by cra+nstery »

Not a straightforward answer, to pay more we must charge more, and to charge more businesses and customers must spend (and therefore earn) more.
cra+nstery

Post by cra+nstery »

And so the cycle repeats…

Return to “Bus and coach companies | PSV fleet operators | General discussions”