Hi all, if you could take the time to read it’ll be much appreciated. Recently passed my Class 1 Test, license has

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
ollicen18

Hi all, if you could take the time to read it’ll be much appreciated. Recently passed my Class 1 Test, license has

Post by ollicen18 »

Hi all, if you could take the time to read it’ll be much appreciated.
Recently passed my Class 1 Test, license has been returned to me already which makes a change for DVSA. I’ve got my Digi Card and have my CPC Mod 4 on the 21st. My issue is that I’m 18 Years old. I’ve applied for 30-40 Jobs, have gone into offices such as SRC Group, Skip Companies and many others. All from 7.5T, Tipper, to Haulage. All have the same issue, Insurance. All of which I’ve stated that I’m happy with a reduced salary to cover the insurance premium, but many don’t want to entertain.

Been told by many to go for a big firm such as maritime, Goldstart etc. so have been trying but no luck so far.
I’ve spoken to Agencies, their answer is it’ll be a struggle as firms will rather have someone with experience. Common sense.
Either 21/25 years old or over is all I’ve been getting back from the firms, so if anybody could lead me in the right direction, maybe there’s a few younger drivers on here that have been in my situation.
I’m based in Colchester, Essex. Thanks.
1005-rhyzo

Re: Hi all, if you could take the time to read it’ll be much appreciated. Recently passed my Class 1 Test, license has

Post by 1005-rhyzo »

Afternoon pal first of all congrats for getting g class 1 at such a young age.
1005-rhyzo

Re: Hi all, if you could take the time to read it’ll be much appreciated. Recently passed my Class 1 Test, license has

Post by 1005-rhyzo »

But unfortunately you will struggle to get work with only being 18 all I can suggest is keep registering with agencies.
1005-rhyzo

Post by 1005-rhyzo »

And try large companies like dhl xpo eddie stobart /culina I'm certain 1 of then will give you a start.
ollicen18

Post by ollicen18 »

1005-rhyzo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:00 pm And try large companies like dhl xpo eddie stobart /culina I'm certain 1 of then will give you a start.
thanks for the advice mate, I will give the ones listed a try. Thank you,
NICHOME

Post by NICHOME »

Turners of Soham have depot at tilbury as do gold star and Macintyre all part of the turners group turners self insure is no need for insurance give them a call
ollicen18

Post by ollicen18 »

NICHOME wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:03 pm Turners of Soham have depot at tilbury as do gold star and Macintyre all part of the turners group turners self insure is no need for insurance give them a call
I’ll give them a go, thank you Nichome
kniKnarry

Post by kniKnarry »

Hi Olicen,
We take any age class 1 driver if they have the right drive and work ethic. It's a shame you're not from Northampton.
Azrul3find

Post by Azrul3find »

kniKnarry wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:06 pm Hi Olicen,
We take any age class 1 driver if they have the right drive and work ethic. It's a shame you're not from Northampton.
I called the office and they said I need to be 21 🤷‍♂️
oliceller40

Post by oliceller40 »

that’s a right shame, Atleast I know there’s some out there! Thank you,
1006.foxty

Post by 1006.foxty »

Love that mate 🙌🏻
Orl5mand

Post by Orl5mand »

There are companies that hire newbies
Orl5mand

Post by Orl5mand »

but the pay won’t be as expected probably 13 quid an hour for start if you find it do 2 years with them and then you should be sorted
ollicen18

Post by ollicen18 »

Orl5mand wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:13 pm There are companies that hire newbies
Thanks mate, I’m not too fussed on the pay to start with.
ollicen18

Post by ollicen18 »

Orl5mand wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:14 pm but the pay won’t be as expected probably 13 quid an hour for start if you find it do 2 years with them and then you should be sorted
Aslong as I’m getting my foot in the door with somewhere
mcTruckers

Post by mcTruckers »

Hi mate we’ll done on getting your license sorted.
mcTruckers

Post by mcTruckers »

I know you’ve mentioned about agencies being tricky but see if there is one that have contacts with companies like Royal Mail, Evri, Amazon ect. I work for Royal Mail and there are lads in there now who are employed that are very 20 and I’ve also seen some younger lads on agency too. It’s coming up to Christmas soon so there will be a lot of agency staff getting pulled into firms like those. Might be a good way to get your foot in the door.
ollicen18

Post by ollicen18 »

mcTruckers wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:17 pm Hi mate we’ll done on getting your license sorted.
thanks mate,
ollicen18

Post by ollicen18 »

mcTruckers wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:17 pm I know you’ve mentioned about agencies being tricky but see if there is one that have contacts with companies like Royal Mail, Evri, Amazon ect. I work for Royal Mail and there are lads in there now who are employed that are very 20 and I’ve also seen some younger lads on agency too. It’s coming up to Christmas soon so there will be a lot of agency staff getting pulled into firms like those. Might be a good way to get your foot in the door.
I’ve had a look on Royal mails website but nothing at the moment available in my area. I’ll give some more agency’s a call and hopefully they’ll put me down. Cheers,
mcTruckers

Post by mcTruckers »

ollicen18 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:18 pm
mcTruckers wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:17 pm I know you’ve mentioned about agencies being tricky but see if there is one that have contacts with companies like Royal Mail, Evri, Amazon ect. I work for Royal Mail and there are lads in there now who are employed that are very 20 and I’ve also seen some younger lads on agency too. It’s coming up to Christmas soon so there will be a lot of agency staff getting pulled into firms like those. Might be a good way to get your foot in the door.
I’ve had a look on Royal mails website but nothing at the moment available in my area. I’ll give some more agency’s a call and hopefully they’ll put me down. Cheers,
yeah unfortunately mate a lot of the jobs going are internal, posties moving up to class 1.
mcTruckers

Post by mcTruckers »

ollicen18 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:18 pm
I was 7.5T driver and moved over in June. Agency is the best way in for someone on the outside. Fingers crossed mate. 👍🏻
Brand6Tale

Post by Brand6Tale »

I've had a full car licence for 20 years. Full bike for 5. Been clean for 10+ years no issues, convictions or claims.
Brand6Tale

Post by Brand6Tale »

Applied for around 20 jobs since passing class 1 this year and they just won't entertain new passes. Even said to agencies I'd take a reduction on salary of 8-10k and they said if you have a steady good income they don't recommend agency work.
Brand6Tale

Post by Brand6Tale »

I think you need to just get lucky as a new pass regardless of age.
1007_tops

Post by 1007_tops »

Unfortunately your age is against you.
peachBlab

Post by peachBlab »

Goldstar have some young drivers that have just started so might be worth a try
Wii7llions

Post by Wii7llions »

Try getting a shunting job get your foot in the door
GeRALDONE

Post by GeRALDONE »

Best thing to do is try a family run firm, that’s how I started out!
GeRALDONE

Post by GeRALDONE »

Even if you do class 2 work for a while and then move onto class 1 atleast that way you will gain some experience!
ollicen18

Post by ollicen18 »

GeRALDONE wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:29 pm Best thing to do is try a family run firm, that’s how I started out!
I do have one Family ran business that’s giving me some hope,
ollicen18

Post by ollicen18 »

GeRALDONE wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:29 pm Even if you do class 2 work for a while and then move onto class 1 atleast that way you will gain some experience!
so once I’ve completed the CPC they’ve asked for me to contact them again, thanks
jayfi5rozo

Post by jayfi5rozo »

Advice, go to the local bus company who will put you through the test and get the larger vehicle experience there whilst at the same time keeping an eye out for any HGV work you my like.
jayfi5rozo

Post by jayfi5rozo »

Overall as you get older you’ll always be in work either HGV or PSV. Get it done now and see yourself into the future plus your age won’t go against you!
Wii7llions

Post by Wii7llions »

Life is so much harder for the young uns of today, I sadly have no suggestions for you, but I wish you well.
Keitzen981

Post by Keitzen981 »

Try thames water, they took me in as a fairly new driver. They also take in new drivers.
morgant.barr

Post by morgant.barr »

but try turner they own Goldstar as well so not sure if it the same they have there own company insurance and run an apprenticeship scheme for all ages so I would give them a shout
AlanKeSmith

Post by AlanKeSmith »

I was 20 when I passed, and faced similar issues. When you are 25, you are then faced with 90 days driving in last 6 month and other silly requirements.
AlanKeSmith

Post by AlanKeSmith »

I even resorted to van work. It gets in some driving days, money and you get used to driving around. Even electing to do second manning etc.
lung_hord

Post by lung_hord »

going through the same thing as an 18 year old, impossible to find a class 1/2 job due to age and experience,
lung_hord

Post by lung_hord »

I'm doing either 3.5tn or 7.5tn van driving via agencies to build some experience for Christmas time when the demand is higher
WayGCrossed

Post by WayGCrossed »

Maritime accept new pass I believe they do a course for new drivers but they might b worth a try
hug6hecke

Post by hug6hecke »

You looking for tramping work? If so I’ll give you a go on an assessment. Based Rainham Essex
Tandyck982

Post by Tandyck982 »

Let me see what the deal is with my insurers and an 18 year old.
I know with 21+ they ask for 2 years min experience or higher excess.
Tandyck982

Post by Tandyck982 »

I’ll see if that applies for you, I’ll update tomorrow mate.
We’re based in CO3.
ollicen18

Post by ollicen18 »

Tandyck982 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:36 pm I’ll see if that applies for you, I’ll update tomorrow mate.
We’re based in CO3.
Thanks mate I really appreciate that!
victoolPRO

Post by victoolPRO »

It’s possible, I got on agency at 18, just a little trickier that’s all
STEVANTSE

Post by STEVANTSE »

Try the largest company's they usually have £2 million I'm a separate account as their own Insurance, most insurers only cover upto a maximum £2 Million claim anyway,
STEVANTSE

Post by STEVANTSE »

I started with excel DHL Wincanton the day after I passed my class 2, legally it used to be how it worked regarding the insurance.
andexPeed

Post by andexPeed »

To echo what others have said family run firms. You might start out on something smaller than you’d like for less money than you’d like but it’s a foot in the door. It’s what I’ve done. 2-300 applications and found a company willing to give me a start.

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”