New to this forum. My husband has just got his C + E license and trying to find a job. Everywhere wants one to two

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
walty1131

Re: New to this forum. My husband has just got his C + E license and trying to find a job. Everywhere wants one to two

Post by walty1131 »

You have to be pro active and ring round all the companies You can. It took Me 6 months to find work in 2007 when I passed nothing has changed. Treat looking for a job as a full time task and You will find somewhere who will give You a chance. Good luck to Him.
DogBettocu

Re: New to this forum. My husband has just got his C + E license and trying to find a job. Everywhere wants one to two

Post by DogBettocu »

Get in the car and go and knock on companies doors or phone them directly. He will find something, it will just take a little more leg work.
Gear.BBauer

Post by Gear.BBauer »

I passed mine in September and just started a job on Monday with Menzies. I don't know where you're based but check if there is a Menzies depot near you.
IANSYMO

Post by IANSYMO »

Get him to apply to as many companies as possible. In many cases companies are willing to offer help and extra training to the right driver.
IANSYMO

Post by IANSYMO »

If your husband is a responsible guy that will show and he will be given the chance he needs with the right company. Ignore all the stupid comments.
vezzy-jean

Post by vezzy-jean »

IANSYMO wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:00 pm If your husband is a responsible guy that will show and he will be given the chance he needs with the right company. Ignore all the stupid comments.
thanks Iansymo. My husband isn’t on Facebook for the reasons you mention. Just asking for any helpful advice as he has changed careers to do this
IANSYMO

Post by IANSYMO »

vezzy-jean wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:01 pm
IANSYMO wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:00 pm If your husband is a responsible guy that will show and he will be given the chance he needs with the right company. Ignore all the stupid comments.
thanks Iansymo. My husband isn’t on Facebook for the reasons you mention. Just asking for any helpful advice as he has changed careers to do this
He will 100 per cent find a job. Don’t worry about that…this one or two years experience is a preference but for the right person it’s not absolutely necessary. I know new drivers with little experience who are better than guys with 20 plus years.
ricsteelMons

Post by ricsteelMons »

vezzy-jean wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:01 pm
I think evri take new passes worth checking out
Shaw-TRO

Post by Shaw-TRO »

Not sure if they take new passes but try Sherwoods in shepshed.
crai3gssed

Post by crai3gssed »

Has he gone straight from car to class1 ? If he has my advice is try and get some class2 work to get a bit of experience. Tipper companies will usually give him a shot. Other than that tell him to just keep applying and ringing employers. He ll find something eventually. Industry not in good shape now so he ll probably find it harder he ll probably get night work easier and not as much on road.
BeasBerty

Post by BeasBerty »

The big problem at the moment is many people have been fed a load of shit by the media about a driver shortage that didn't exist. In the past 12 months around grimsby, Immingham, Scunthorpe several companies have gone bust taking at least 300 trucks off the road. There are companies left that are still standing trucks on a daily basis. The jobs are very limited and all the people that drove those trucks that are now off the road are also looking for jobs. I wish you well in finding something, and soon... But be prepared to take some shit whilst there's a big choice of experienced drivers around for companies to cherry pick.
mitto1132

Post by mitto1132 »

tell him to get out there knocking on small haulage company doors and getting cv,s out to the larger company’s. also my advice would be tell him to take any job from tipper to bin truck, it will gain him experience and hopefully get him into a better position in time. it is hard for a new pass but what people are saying is correct some people ( company’s ) will take a chance on them
RONZRoad

Post by RONZRoad »

A. W. Jenkinson Forest Products Maritime, Goldstar all take new passes. Best if he goes knocking on doors the old fashioned way drop his cv into transport managers. Other options are agency to get started
parrisUpfor

Post by parrisUpfor »

Here we go with that old chestnut 🌰. He's not on here. 😆
Davoor_Ch

Post by Davoor_Ch »

Tell him to persevere, being a new driver then accept any job he's offered whether he wants it or not, stop looking at posey lorrys and drive a pig if need be. Unfortunately he might have to start at the bottom of the pile but after a couple of months hopefully he will be confident in the driving part then apply for a better Job and basically bullshit himself through the interview.
daav5ison

Post by daav5ison »

Davoor_Ch wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:10 pm Tell him to persevere, being a new driver then accept any job he's offered whether he wants it or not, stop looking at posey lorrys and drive a pig if need be. Unfortunately he might have to start at the bottom of the pile but after a couple of months hopefully he will be confident in the driving part then apply for a better Job and basically bullshit himself through the interview.
he b OK Baghdad Davoor in leyland octopus 3 drops 😆
Davoor_Ch

Post by Davoor_Ch »

daav5ison wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:11 pm
Davoor_Ch wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:10 pm Tell him to persevere, being a new driver then accept any job he's offered whether he wants it or not, stop looking at posey lorrys and drive a pig if need be. Unfortunately he might have to start at the bottom of the pile but after a couple of months hopefully he will be confident in the driving part then apply for a better Job and basically bullshit himself through the interview.
he b OK Baghdad Davoor in leyland octopus 3 drops 😆
only 3 drops. 😂
chare-jung

Post by chare-jung »

Not being horrible just being honest. These training companies feed you crap regarding plenty of work out there they just want your money. There's loads of drivers out there experienced ones looking for work. Best advice is register with as many agencies as you can and take any crap they give you. Do a good job and get your foot in the door that way.
Mazee1133

Post by Mazee1133 »

Do some class 2 work first. DHL take on newly qualified, search up DHL supply chain jobs or Tradeteam. Once in DHL he can progress through internal structures.
vezzy-jean

Post by vezzy-jean »

Mazee1133 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:13 pm Do some class 2 work first. DHL take on newly qualified, search up DHL supply chain jobs or Tradeteam. Once in DHL he can progress through internal structures.
thanks
gell.derton

Post by gell.derton »

Stobart's are taking new drivers
AndsonYIN

Post by AndsonYIN »

Usually sh*t places doing pallet work tend to be desperate for drivers because the work is shit and the trucks are battered!
ember_lenn

Post by ember_lenn »

They take on new passes at my place and on a good rate too. Based in Halesowen and do nights out. Drop me a message if interested and I'll send details over. 👍
Thomy1134

Post by Thomy1134 »

Get him on here and start networking.
Sending a CV via email wont really work because he has no experience, get him to dress smart and send him round all the family run companies in you're area so he can have a face to face about any up and coming driver vacancies. This will put him up above any any other newbies who are just sending CV's plus its a chance for a potential employer to see who he is and what his about. Hope this helps
jam+srush

Post by jam+srush »

I have eighteen years class one experience, I'm driving a van now, better home life and the money isn't that different to class one.
kay6mebro

Post by kay6mebro »

Forget Facebook tell him to google all local hgv companies and go knock the doors and ask to speak to transport managers only way to do it they will ignore cvs and phone calls got to go face to face
KazdPOST

Post by KazdPOST »

Try agencies first or just blag it Vezzy
wess7alar

Post by wess7alar »

just make up something, they never check
1135borbz

Post by 1135borbz »

Try DHL Unilever at Cannock sure they take on new passes
PAULSIERS

Post by PAULSIERS »

Get logged with every agency within 50 miles and take whatever is offered, even short notice or horrible work like the poo tanks.
Also try the huge companies. Usually the bigger the company the more likely they are to self insure, so the experience isn't an issue.
I believe culina self insure so try stobarts, fowler welch and so on.
DHL also take on new drivers.
I also believe David Watson take on new passes but they do a lot of hiab stuff so may need a ticket for that (which is worth doing, I love my crane).
downFFully

Post by downFFully »

Blakemore's in Willenhall are usually looking for drivers, they have a mixed fleet of artics and rigids.
NAJ3ments

Post by NAJ3ments »

Look for a company hiring Cat C drivers then after a few months ask to be put into a C+E vehicle. It costs the company nothing extra for insurance if you don't have an accident claim but the employer's insurance excess is costly if you do. Always drive with a dash cam fitted too.
1136-murss

Post by 1136-murss »

Just work your way up from vans to artics like most of us did , also helps if you have a relevant skill and cscs etc.
Ands5rgam

Post by Ands5rgam »

Go into any local hauliers and meet them face to face some transport managers prefer that
Hayab6idge

Post by Hayab6idge »

I walked into my current employer we sat down and chatted straight away 2 weeks later got offered the job as a recovery driver money was 5k more than my old plant hire job
Karr.Xann

Post by Karr.Xann »

Bigger companies tend to be the route, pair you up for a few days, strict compliance so it gives you good habits from the off
StephTephra

Post by StephTephra »

Best bet is agency. Depends where you live. I live in South Wales and there seems to be more drivers than there is jobs at the moment.
TDW who are a fairly decent sized company laid 20 of us off just over a month ago blaming a decline in work from tesco. I was lucky I got a hgv job £2.50 an hour less that what I was getting paid at TDW. I know some ex TDW drivers that have years of experience are still struggling to find something.

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”