I've been in the same career for the last 15+ years and been considering a change for the last year. I'd like to get

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
PEOPPOW

Re: I've been in the same career for the last 15+ years and been considering a change for the last year. I'd like to get

Post by PEOPPOW »

As much chance as anyone else. The best advice I can give is take the plunge and do the training then be persistent knock door ring firms until they give you a break. Agency work though not ideal can be good for getting a break. Could be worth looking at some local agencies as some will pay for training and then have clients who will use you for work once you passed.
Ellez_Rizy

Re: I've been in the same career for the last 15+ years and been considering a change for the last year. I'd like to get

Post by Ellez_Rizy »

PEOPPOW wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:56 am As much chance as anyone else. The best advice I can give is take the plunge and do the training then be persistent knock door ring firms until they give you a break. Agency work though not ideal can be good for getting a break. Could be worth looking at some local agencies as some will pay for training and then have clients who will use you for work once you passed.
thank you, agency work would actually work well for me. I'll start looking in to that now!
PEOPPOW

Post by PEOPPOW »

Ellez_Rizy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:56 am
PEOPPOW wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:56 am As much chance as anyone else. The best advice I can give is take the plunge and do the training then be persistent knock door ring firms until they give you a break. Agency work though not ideal can be good for getting a break. Could be worth looking at some local agencies as some will pay for training and then have clients who will use you for work once you passed.
thank you, agency work would actually work well for me. I'll start looking in to that now!
yeah I've always preferred it to be honest. If you can get a good agency it's brilliant. The one I used to work for never left me without work.
istendarJR

Post by istendarJR »

Yes definitely. Go for it. Drivers seat adjusts.
Ellez_Rizy

Post by Ellez_Rizy »

Ja-Champs wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:58 am Whereabouts are you?
mostly based in Surrey but travel a lot so I'm not particularly tied to one location.
Ja-Champs

Post by Ja-Champs »

Ellez_Rizy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:58 am
Ja-Champs wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:58 am Whereabouts are you?
mostly based in Surrey but travel a lot so I'm not particularly tied to one location.
ah ok, the company I’m with unfortunately are based in Essex by Dartford crossing or Port Talbot in south Wales!!
hort3leeny

Post by hort3leeny »

I left the NHS after 10 years now been in hgv for 1 I am 5ft nothing struggles are real but manageable the job isn’t one you can just walk into you need to really enjoy it the roads are a lovely place plenty of companies take on you just have to show your willing eager m able
Ellez_Rizy

Post by Ellez_Rizy »

hort3leeny wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:59 am I left the NHS after 10 years now been in hgv for 1 I am 5ft nothing struggles are real but manageable the job isn’t one you can just walk into you need to really enjoy it the roads are a lovely place plenty of companies take on you just have to show your willing eager m able
that's great to know! Thank you. I really enjoy driving so it seems like an ideal job for me.
Charro.Law

Post by Charro.Law »

If anything be nice to see more female drivers
stapy1167

Post by stapy1167 »

Personally I would prefer to employ a female driver from what I've seen of the last few years female drivers are more willing to learn have more patience and understanding and don't think that the world owes them a living like most male drivers, so yes go for it we need more good drivers who are interested in the job not just the money, truck driving has never just been about the money
GRanMetenn

Post by GRanMetenn »

stapy1167 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:00 pm Personally I would prefer to employ a female driver from what I've seen of the last few years female drivers are more willing to learn have more patience and understanding and don't think that the world owes them a living like most male drivers, so yes go for it we need more good drivers who are interested in the job not just the money, truck driving has never just been about the money
what els mate lol
montteeBo

Post by montteeBo »

Still at it since 95 and enjoy getting up for work.
It is a bit of a bitter- sweet thing about 'experience required' but there's loads of work doing Class 2 stuff and that's where you'll find a bit of experience. There are firms that take new passes but there is usually a reason why they do.
montteeBo

Post by montteeBo »

And finally, trunking/container work is usually not as physical, as cage/ pallet work, but I've not come across a job that will let you work too hard without the use of some form of mechanical aid.
Really hope you take the plunge!!!
Banne_Gico

Post by Banne_Gico »

Don't bother it's not the job it used to be.im driving a van now same money and a hell of a lot less stress
dun5Cano

Post by dun5Cano »

Banne_Gico wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:02 pm Don't bother it's not the job it used to be.im driving a van now same money and a hell of a lot less stress
and get more time to spend posting shit on fb 🤣😂😉
Banne_Gico

Post by Banne_Gico »

dun5Cano wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:03 pm
Banne_Gico wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:02 pm Don't bother it's not the job it used to be.im driving a van now same money and a hell of a lot less stress
100% there mate
dun5Cano

Post by dun5Cano »

Banne_Gico wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:03 pm
dun5Cano wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:03 pm
100% there mate
I’ve noticed 🤣😂
EXCELLOV

Post by EXCELLOV »

It’s become a rat race out there,if I’d known how bad the job would be as the years went by then I’d never of done it
chevo-katr

Post by chevo-katr »

Sean Devlin Robert Meehan we haven't that much on but we should have something try to message them
Tagem1168

Post by Tagem1168 »

chevo-katr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:05 pm Sean Devlin Robert Meehan we haven't that much on but we should have something try to message them
I’d say your sacked Soon as the interview is over
symo.trapp

Post by symo.trapp »

My advice get your license and then apply to Tesco if there’s a DC near you they have got a good training program and a good equal opportunities program for women because they encourage women to join them
mikcon_win

Post by mikcon_win »

Yeah go for it ! 💪🏾use agency till you find ya feet. And get experience
Alexcy1169

Post by Alexcy1169 »

You have just as much opportunity as anyone. I did 17.5 years in sign maintenance and installation. I had done my class 2 in the last year and a half of that and drove a truck mounted cherry picker. I then did my class 1 and hiab ticket before moving on to pallet delivery class 2, did that for 5 months, got offered a position in a class 2 box wagon at Colletts, worked my way thru various wagons there in to class 1 over 5 years and now doing crane ballast wagon grossing out at 100t, been here a year and a half and love it.
Alexcy1169

Post by Alexcy1169 »

It’s been a relatively short trucking career especially compared to most of the lads I now work with.
It’s all about the right opportunity with the right companies to get into doing what you want to do, there is so much variety in trucking that there really is something for everyone.
LancellComp

Post by LancellComp »

Come and work with us.will even set you a pole up
paal6rsco

Post by paal6rsco »

Why not drive plant ? Pays way more , proper welfare facilities,
Normal hours , . Get an ADT ticket for a start
stop7dowb

Post by stop7dowb »

I'm 5ft 4, spoilt rotten in my company cause I'm a woman 🤷‍♀️🤣. Go for it!
ErwanDDare

Post by ErwanDDare »

Anyone thinking of taking there HGV test wants to be forced to see a psychiatrist first
KeiksTORR

Post by KeiksTORR »

Have you tried applying at Aldi Abbie. Better Money better Hours. Don't think you need 6 months experience to stack shelves either
1170-badio

Post by 1170-badio »

Try agencies who like new drivers will give you a good start and you can choose what job you want to do.
NEVARGU

Post by NEVARGU »

Wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy,. No standards on the roads nowadays and don’t get me started on the state of the service areas
haryHARL

Post by haryHARL »

Depending on what your pulling and who you work for..
JAS3nnaxin

Post by JAS3nnaxin »

I did my class 2 in Aug 23 and my first job is a permanent role. There are also training providers out there you can do your licences with that don't charge. Ps good luck x
1172_rocnder

Post by 1172_rocnder »

Go for it! We had a lass working for us driving class 1 artic and she was slim and tiny too, but still got the job done. 👍 x
Max5Macro

Post by Max5Macro »

Don't bother doing it. Got class 1 never used it like being home and not being treated like sh*t
holmHollz

Post by holmHollz »

Hgv 2 with hiab no hand balling tippers or building and scaffolding firms use hiab easy job 5 day week 😬
Av6katlem

Post by Av6katlem »

I wouldn't bother tbh , done tramping for years and car drivers got so much worse and all the other bs that comes with it now
1171-gevon

Post by 1171-gevon »

First you do agencies work , then get few names of the companies they send you work for and put on your CV and you will get something decent then . Agencies not fussed about your experience just for £££.
Isu7uento

Post by Isu7uento »

I see highways are advertising for traffic officers. Only have to drive a 4x4 and stick some cones out every now and then and it pays £35k
RICHAINFO

Post by RICHAINFO »

I'm a 5'3 woman and I used to do a very physical driving job!
clairo1156

Post by clairo1156 »

Check DHL driving careers out, they will even put you through your class 1. A friend of mine has done it & is getting on fine. Might be your only way round the 6 months experience. Think he has to stay with them for two years. So you'll certainly gain the experience with it.
Micey-Finest

Post by Micey-Finest »

Take a pole and you'll make a killing in driver waiting rooms! Might be the best business model of 2023! Make a change from the f**ker off the balcony or herald of free enterprise
peteeKSID

Post by peteeKSID »

Yes of course you'll find work
fran3bolt

Post by fran3bolt »

I was class 2 driver from 2008 in 2011.passed my class one in 2011 struggled getting work due to most agency and companys wasn’t touching new drivers at time. left it dormant until 2016 when I Joined Dhl on Nisa contract. learnt the routes for few months then they done assessment on class one and bit of training reversing on bays, coupling uncoupling never looked back. been class one ever since 8 years later still at Dhl living the dream 😂😂do it you got nothing to lose. there is companys out there taking on class one drivers good luck 👍🏽👍🏽
Stullix.Co

Post by Stullix.Co »

Absolutely, I'm only 5ft 2 and I'm a class 1 driver, pulling double deck fridges...you can do anything! Xx
aiszzer1157

Post by aiszzer1157 »

My first driving job was with no experience in hgv driving, I managed to find a job on multidrop 18t but I hated it, 3 months later I started as a ban lorry driver and have been there almost 2 years. I'm 5ft 1 and was strapping loads and pulling curtains open and shut
euryJoJury

Post by euryJoJury »

The only height that matters is the heights of the load 🤣🫶
Arch_Sonnco

Post by Arch_Sonnco »

Do you think for job size really matter 🤔
Have look around call em direct and who knows whats gonna happen
What area your are
d5aniellcy

Post by d5aniellcy »

Height or sex has zero bearing on wether you get a job or not. It’s the experience that matters or lack of. It’s a numbers game. Apply for as many jobs as you possibly can, don’t be picky, accept you will get turned away often just move onto the next.
NoonexCest

Post by NoonexCest »

Height shouldn't be a issue! If u want to do it go for it and just send CV in! if got 15yrs experience of class2 that will help to a degree
TAyBURGUN

Post by TAyBURGUN »

One thing for sure about road transport, if you can get goods from a to b and put up with all the crap associated with doing it there are no prejudices, restrictions, or qualifications (other than passing a medical) that will prevent you. Most operators would happily consider any functional life form human or otherwise, cheaper the better. DVSA would struggle to cope with the concept of more than one head or two arms.
Good luck. Rail is bigger money. Consider the benefits of union membership. Experience sorts the rest out but it won't all be good.

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”