I passed my Class 1 this week, and now having the same problem as many others, can’t get a start with anyone without

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
Quino.Stan

I passed my Class 1 this week, and now having the same problem as many others, can’t get a start with anyone without

Post by Quino.Stan »

I passed my Class 1 this week, and now having the same problem as many others, can’t get a start with anyone without 6 months experience, has anyone worked for Slam Transport? I’ve got an assessment with them this week, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what they are like to work for this is the York depot. I’m in hull.
waykyatro

Re: I passed my Class 1 this week, and now having the same problem as many others, can’t get a start with anyone without

Post by waykyatro »

Dose it matter what there like its experience at the end of the day
chelfa

Re: I passed my Class 1 this week, and now having the same problem as many others, can’t get a start with anyone without

Post by chelfa »

waykyatro wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:06 pm Dose it matter what there like its experience at the end of the day
of course it does. If they are a shite company, then why would anyone want to work for them?!
waykyatro

Post by waykyatro »

chelfa wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:06 pm
waykyatro wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:06 pm Dose it matter what there like its experience at the end of the day
of course it does. If they are a shite company, then why would anyone want to work for them?!
to get the experience that no one else will give them 🤷‍♂️
chelfa

Post by chelfa »

waykyatro wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:07 pm
but what if it affects them mentally??
So many posts about drivers ending their lives, yet new drivers are told “just get on with it”.
waykyatro

Post by waykyatro »

chelfa wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:07 pm

So many posts about drivers ending their lives, yet new drivers are told “just get on with it”.
now you being silly that can happen at any company good and bad.. he's a new passer looking at getting 6 months plus experience behind him
chelfa

Post by chelfa »

waykyatro wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:08 pm

now you being silly that can happen at any company good and bad.. he's a new passer looking at getting 6 months plus experience behind him
I haven’t driven since I passed because I refuse to work for just anyone. I’ve worked for enough sh*te companies.
waykyatro

Post by waykyatro »

chelfa wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:08 pm

I haven’t driven since I passed because I refuse to work for just anyone. I’ve worked for enough sh*te companies.
that's your choice his choice is he's trying to get the experience.. I know who I would employ
chelfa

Post by chelfa »

chelfa wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:08 pm

that's your choice his choice is he's trying to get the experience.. I know who I would employ
well it’s not me bud because I’m not even in the industry 🤣
1373-chriqo

Post by 1373-chriqo »

Go to the bigger companies suck it up for 2yrs get the experience you av no probs them best if luck
joeimanMr

Post by joeimanMr »

The majority of work that they do is Amazon work, if you are tramping, then it’s 6 on 2 off.
Xlackjay

Post by Xlackjay »

Agree with Waykyatro, don't matter what there like, it's experience that you need.
BanIIsrpenst

Post by BanIIsrpenst »

Try dhl, dpd, wincanton, stobarts, ws etc. They will give you a start. Can move on afterwards if you want too.
GGrattonx

Post by GGrattonx »

BanIIsrpenst wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:14 pm Try dhl, dpd, wincanton, stobarts, ws etc. They will give you a start. Can move on afterwards if you want too.
DHL are making drivers redundant
BanIIsrpenst

Post by BanIIsrpenst »

GGrattonx wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:16 pm
BanIIsrpenst wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:14 pm Try dhl, dpd, wincanton, stobarts, ws etc. They will give you a start. Can move on afterwards if you want too.
which sites? Not heard anything on ours yet
GGrattonx

Post by GGrattonx »

BanIIsrpenst wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:16 pm
which sites? Not heard anything on ours yet
I'm at Trafford park Essity and we've been told we are going.
BewBeing

Post by BewBeing »

don’t tell me……they’ve lost another contract……they are pretty good at that
GGrattonx

Post by GGrattonx »

BewBeing wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:17 pm
it's been quiet for a month or so now. We've been doing other work to try and keep us busy.
BewBeing

Post by BewBeing »

GGrattonx wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 pm

it's been quiet for a month or so now. We've been doing other work to try and keep us busy.
I use to work for a firm who had a contract with a big company, DHL came in, undercut the firm I was at to get the work, a month later DHL were on the phone asking my boss to sub contract for them…at their rates!…after 4yrs they lost that contract
GGrattonx

Post by GGrattonx »

BewBeing wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 pm

I use to work for a firm who had a contract with a big company, DHL came in, undercut the firm I was at to get the work, a month later DHL were on the phone asking my boss to sub contract for them…at their rates!…after 4yrs they lost that contract
yes using lots of contractors still even though we are short of work. Crazy
BewBeing

Post by BewBeing »

GGrattonx wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:19 pm

that’s DHL mentality for you, if the book keepers say they are not making a profit they will wind it down and not apply for the contract again and let the drivers go, big firms like that have no loyalty to the workforce, you are just a number to them
GGrattonx

Post by GGrattonx »

BewBeing wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:19 pm

that’s DHL mentality for you, if the book keepers say they are not making a profit they will wind it down and not apply for the contract again and let the drivers go, big firms like that have no loyalty to the workforce, you are just a number to them
yeah not sure which direction I will go in next. Agency work about but possible no earnings at the start of the year. Asked a few local firms round Manchester and all quiet.
BewBeing

Post by BewBeing »

BewBeing wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:19 pm

yeah not sure which direction I will go in next. Agency work about but possible no earnings at the start of the year. Asked a few local firms round Manchester and all quiet.
the firm I work for has gone quiet, we normally hire a couple of trailers and a unit and have an agency driver, the trailers and the unit went back last month, same with palletfiorce, normally this time of year we have 5 deckers and 1 or 2 normal trailers per night going down to the hub but last night there were only 3 went down
MAyERUSS

Post by MAyERUSS »

Try Whitworths flour mill, opposite war museum, they can't get drivers. Keep training agency driver to tip tankers, then they go somewhere else.
GGrattonx

Post by GGrattonx »

MAyERUSS wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:22 pm
Try Whitworths flour mill, opposite war museum, they can't get drivers. Keep training agency driver to tip tankers, then they go somewhere else.
cheers for the heads up
MAyERUSS

Post by MAyERUSS »

GGrattonx wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:22 pm

cheers for the heads up
The manager there is Steve Henderson.
GGrattonx

Post by GGrattonx »

MAyERUSS wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:23 pm
GGrattonx wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:22 pm

cheers for the heads up
The manager there is Steve Henderson.
trying to find a local number for the mill. Only getting the head office. I might call at the gatehouse tomorrow
GuzGumbo

Post by GuzGumbo »

WS just announced a pay drop to £12ph
Crabee+Kidd

Post by Crabee+Kidd »

Agency best way to gain experience mate
kallAdvice

Post by kallAdvice »

Quino.Stan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:25 pm I’m in hull
exceed logistics, Humber port logistics both over bridge in Birmingham but they will take you. Also exceed have a hull lockup for the trucks
Quino.Stan

Post by Quino.Stan »

kallAdvice wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:26 pm
Quino.Stan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:25 pm I’m in hull
exceed logistics, Humber port logistics both over bridge in Birmingham but they will take you. Also exceed have a hull lockup for the trucks
ok thanks I’ll give them a try
irvvering02

Post by irvvering02 »

I wouldn't worry what they're like to work for, if they give you a go just stick it out as long as you can for the experience.. It's easier to go from 1 job to another...
chrisio

Post by chrisio »

I’ll be honest, I passed my C1 in August, September I got a job with a small local company, might be worth looking in too, I’m on a fridge, it’s easy work and people stay away from you in the services 🤣
eddpeed70

Post by eddpeed70 »

I was in the warehouse and mentioned daily to manager I had class1 and if any driver rang in sick not to ring agency.
3 months I lasted in the warehouse and ended up on the road
roby+babixz

Post by roby+babixz »

Take what work you can to start, once you have experience you can pick and choose so to speak
GarryMr

Post by GarryMr »

Ok, sadly the truth is, that a lot of companies won’t take drivers on without any experience, stupid I know, probably because of the insurance cost, the ones that will give you a go, are the companies that aren’t that good, they can’t keep their drivers because of bad working conditions or bad pay, unless you are very lucky and do find a really good company who will take a chance on you, I’m afraid you will have to do what most of the rest of us have done, just get some experience from any company that will take you on.
Quino.Stan

Post by Quino.Stan »

Yes that’s what I’m thinking, go tramping for 6 months for the experience then hopefully pick up something I want to do
smirret

Post by smirret »

Reed Boardall in Boroughbridge are looking for day, night drivers and Trampers. They took me on and put me through my test, if interested let me know
Iannode

Post by Iannode »

smirret wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:30 pm Reed Boardall in Boroughbridge are looking for day, night drivers and Trampers. They took me on and put me through my test, if interested let me know
Flipping heck worse than Slam Hours hours hours
smirret

Post by smirret »

Iannode wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:31 pm
smirret wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:30 pm Reed Boardall in Boroughbridge are looking for day, night drivers and Trampers. They took me on and put me through my test, if interested let me know
I’m happy with doing 4 on and 3 off and do the occasional 5th day, easy life
smirret

Post by smirret »

Iannode wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:31 pm
I got my license through the academy now gaining experience made life easy
warmaxi

Post by warmaxi »

do you know if they use agency up there
jamenTRoth

Post by jamenTRoth »

warmaxi wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:32 pm
green light recruitment or it used to be.
Laszo1Kith

Post by Laszo1Kith »

They use Workforce, I work for them too. 👍
warmaxi

Post by warmaxi »

Laszo1Kith wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:37 pm
do you get many hours in??
Laszo1Kith

Post by Laszo1Kith »

warmaxi wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:37 pm

Yes, as many as you want. 👍
warmaxi

Post by warmaxi »

last question hourly rate 😀 currently with holiday pay I get £16ph
Laszo1Kith

Post by Laszo1Kith »

warmaxi wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:38 pm

A lot better here. £16.50 😅
Laszo1Kith

Post by Laszo1Kith »

warmaxi wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:38 pm

It's £16.50 Mon-Fri, £19 Sat and £21 Sun. Night out £23.
Jrba

Post by Jrba »

Slam do European work as well, if that interests you.
niemniti49

Post by niemniti49 »

Jrba wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:39 pm Slam do European work as well, if that interests you.
Why on earth would he want to do Europe if he's just passed his test??
& yes this is someone who's done Europe for nearly 30 years!!
There's enough to learn in UK before anything else🤷‍♂️
1374.bousky

Post by 1374.bousky »

niemniti49 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:39 pm
Jrba wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:39 pm Slam do European work as well, if that interests you.
passed my test on a Friday, went into Europe on a Tuesday morning 😬
niemniti49

Post by niemniti49 »

1374.bousky wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:47 pm
Well done 👏
Jrba

Post by Jrba »

niemniti49 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:47 pm

Well done 👏
passed the old class 3 in 1985, next time I drove a wagon was in Germany.
niemniti49

Post by niemniti49 »

Jrba wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:47 pm

Well done 👏
??
scotterco-557

Post by scotterco-557 »

niemniti49 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:48 pm

Well done 👏
??
best way to learn I done it over 25yrs ago best experience I ever had
izlerbe

Post by izlerbe »

😭😭
31.fleticom

Post by 31.fleticom »

niemniti49 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:48 pm

Well done 👏
??
wasn’t even a month passed my tests and I was away upto Norway via channel tunnel and so on, best experience iv had in wagons even though I was sh**ting myself
Paultypy

Post by Paultypy »

If slam gives you a job take it for experience. You won't walk into the 1k a week job straight away. Slam does a lot of amazon work so thats easy and you will get experience.
Half8mach

Post by Half8mach »

Paultypy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:51 pm If slam gives you a job take it for experience. You won't walk into the 1k a week job straight away. Slam does a lot of amazon work so thats easy and you will get experience.
wrong nationality for slam Paulty
StriJourgh

Post by StriJourgh »

Half8mach wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:53 pm
Paultypy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:51 pm If slam gives you a job take it for experience. You won't walk into the 1k a week job straight away. Slam does a lot of amazon work so thats easy and you will get experience.
wrong nationality for slam Paulty
They tried to register as Islam but got refused so they took the I off
bedxonyse

Post by bedxonyse »

🤣I’ve never had a 1k a week driving job, 🤣how many hours a week is that for, the whole 168 hrs 🤣
Paultypy

Post by Paultypy »

bedxonyse wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:54 pm
🤣I’ve never had a 1k a week driving job, 🤣how many hours a week is that for, the whole 168 hrs 🤣
Bollox most drivers are on over 1k a week if you listen to them..
And thats 50hrs and no nights out...🤣
lambien

Post by lambien »

bedxonyse wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:54 pm
that seems about right
andShunned

Post by andShunned »

48 hrs
wienvi

Post by wienvi »

Agencies..?… Hermes/ evri..?
morteen4wd

Post by morteen4wd »

You may struggle with the language barrier at Slam
Stewall

Post by Stewall »

morteen4wd wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:57 pm You may struggle with the language barrier at Slam
if you know you know
ChurcherTM

Post by ChurcherTM »

If you can find a small agency, try this, it worked for me 32 yrs ago!
Ask the small agency to allow you to say you've worked for them, when you apply to another agency. Gain experience there, then go work for the first agency with the experience you've gained elsewhere.
alanso1112

Post by alanso1112 »

Try bulkhaul to get a start. They'll run you out of hull
tebbseq

Post by tebbseq »

Start off with agency work for experience, often if the assignment company like you, they will give you a permanent contract.

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”